HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 4:23 AM

MacNab Square | ?m | ? fl | Planning

Source: Google Maps

Red: New mixed use commercial/residential building

Green: 20 Jackson Street West will be demolished, possibly replaced by a new parking structure for MacNab Square

Blue: Outline of possible new parking structure

"Wilson-Blanchard – which operates Hughson Business Space Corporation and Office Mortgage Investments Inc. – owns the commercial stretch from MacNab Street South (25 Main Street West) to James Street South (1 Main Street West).

Wilson-Blanchard has plans to construct a new mixed use building (commercial/residential) on the parking lot between 25 Main and 1 Main. It is tentatively called MacNab Square.

This is an important infill project that will add to the intensification of the downtown and bring more Class A commercial real estate on stream.

The architectural design challenge will be to create a structure that connects the modernity of the office tower at 25 Main with the historic elegance of 1 Main (the old Bank of Montreal building)."

Source/More Info

20 Jackson Street West is currently being demolished to make way for the development:

Source | Image Credit: Eric McGuinness

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 12:34 PM

I'm a bit dubious, it must be said.

What's with WB anyway? Do they not even consider public opinion? It's been known for weeks that building on Jackson was coming down. Had they mentioned something was brewing on the adjacent lot, I'm sure people would have been far more relaxed and perhaps even a little excited about the whole thing.

Won't even get in to the Gore...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:37 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I really question Mr. Blanchard. If all of this gets built I'll be happy, but right now I trust Mr. Stinson to get something done more.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 2:37 PM
It's Hammer Time

What's boxed in red is the current parking lot for the Gowlings, tenant of Bank of Montreal building.

So I'd imagine they have to build a parking structure first so Gowlings would have a place to park before anything can happen to what's highlighted in red.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 5:24 PM

After demolishing 20 Jackson, they should build 1 big underground parking that encompasses bith red and blue so that you don't need a parking structure, but can building something more useful on that space in the future.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 7:06 PM

The source info is from March 2012, and when I click on the tab labeled MILESTONES, an empty page appears.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 6:59 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDP View Post
After demolishing 20 Jackson, they should build 1 big underground parking that encompasses bith red and blue so that you don't need a parking structure, but can building something more useful on that space in the future.
Underground parking? I am curious about the possibilities this concept may present

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Underground parking? I am curious about the possibilities this concept may present
Jackson Square's underground parking is nearby, with a ramp exiting right across the street from 25 Main St W at MacNab and King

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
Jackson Square's underground parking is nearby, with a ramp exiting right across the street from 25 Main St W at MacNab and King
The article said that they wanted to build a parking garage on 20 Jackson, which is why I suggested the 1 big underground garage. Even if the jackson square one is right across the street, it sounds like their going to make a new garage anyways, so they may as well hide it.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I Know! Revolutionary idea, isn't it.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 7:38 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I was being sarcastic. But quite right - there's a big example just across the block.

Preserving surface lots for downtown development must be cheaper for the developers, but the city should push them to dig down. If demand for development goes up, and land becomes more valuable, economics could eventually provide that push too but I think it's a ways off.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 7:53 PM

I like the idea of hiding any parking structure underground. The point of my Jackson Square comment was not well made. I meant to imply that any new underground parking lot at 20 Jackson W could be attached to Jackson Square's underground parking. One big underground parking network.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 8:05 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I like the idea of hiding any parking structure underground. The point of my Jackson Square comment was not well made. I meant to imply that any new underground parking lot at 20 Jackson W could be attached to Jackson Square's underground parking. One big underground parking network.
If it's technically feasible that may not be a bad idea.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Does Jacksons Square garage actually extend that far? I thought it was JUST an exit ramp leading to main street.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I really question Mr. Blanchard. If all of this gets built I'll be happy, but right now I trust Mr. Stinson to get something done more.
The thing about developers is they don't care what you think of them unless your name is the bank. They're not in the business of making urban enthusiasts happy.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 1:38 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

So? I'm allowed to complain. If I want to complain about Putin he wouldn't care, but I still can.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 10:24 PM

you're right, I didn't put that properly. What I was trying to say is that developers are in the business of making money - people can complain all they want about their product, but I'm more likely to think that people like Blanchard aren't making uncalculated risks. Stinson I'm not so sure about, but Blanchard you can bet has a plan.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:34 PM

dp.Ai posted these on their instagram. It looks like these were the original designs for MacNab Square. The photos are captioned "Unbuilt office project", so MacNab Square has most likely been cancelled.

Design #1:

source

Design#2:

source

Design #3:

source

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:40 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Amsterdamish... too bad we could use that for variety. Is that beside the Landed Bank on Main?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:58 PM

I think it's Gowlings. (The building represented would occupy the red square.)

The high-rise in the background resembles the east face of One James South, but (given the "MacNab Square" moniker) is likely intended to be the east face of 25 Main West.

Trying to untangle the layers of architectural "homage" going on in those renders. (The Will Alsop nod is the most obvious.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton