HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 6:42 PM

That's an awesome restoration of the Devereaux House.

www.domandhyo.com

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 2:03 PM

Stadium nears completion - Real Salt Lake awarded 2009 MLS All-Star game - MLS president calls stadium best in league

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...242005,00.html

A banner hangs at the new Real Salt Lake stadium in Sandy announcing that Utah will host the 2009 Major League Soccer All-Star game. (Keith Johnson, Deseret News)

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 4:51 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Well I have been browsing Skyscraperpage for a bit and at this moment I'm VERY disappointed in Salt Lake City's skyline right now. There are only 36 structures on the SLC diagram. Our tallest building is a mere 422 feet high. What I want to know is why haven't we broken the 750ft mark, or even the 500ft mark. We should have WAY more skyscrapers on our list. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, it's just the growth we are experiencing isn't that impressive when put into perspective to other cities in our country, let alone the world. For instance, did you know that all the projects proposed and under construction in Salt Lake combined equal only 1.5% of what is being developed and spent in Dubai?
It's a bit depressing.
Salt Lake needs something BIG. Really, REALLY big. (over 1000ft)
Anybody agree?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 1:58 PM

I seriously doubt your figure Tangeld. For one, just CCC alone represents two billion, and many construction experts would say that that figure in reality is ridiculously low. I would have to assume that you are not talking about buildings and infrastructure in general, but skyscrapers only!

Comparing practically any American or European city to Dubai at this juncture really doesn't work out as apples and apples. Even New York or Chicago pales when it comes to 'new-build' Skyscrapers. Salt Lake metro is and has been one of the four to five fastest growing CSA's in the nation for quite a few years now. No, most of the ten's of billions of dollars being poured into construction in the area since the mid-nineties has not been in towers. But considering that much of it has gone to critical infrastructure such as one of the most agressive mass-transit, freeway, surface street upgrades and build-ups on the continent is extremely positive. Additional billions have gone into or are currently being spent on monumental landmarks like the new library, conference center, CCC, the Cottonwood, RSL stadium, numerous and major TOD's all over the metro, etc.,etc. Just our little 'Metro Gold Coast' of major ski resorts alone, have invested billions in infrastructure over the past ten years.

Hey, I'm as anxious as anyone to see more 600-700 footers downtown, and they will come. This metro is and always has been a cautious environment when it comes to towers. Maybe considering it has the most up-close, dramatic backdrop of any major metro on the continent, could be a reason why most haven't felt an overwhelming urge to build something manmade, when it could never compare with what Mother Nature has already constructed.

Like you, I for one would like to see a dramatic skyline to compliment our unrivaled backdrop. At the rate this area is growing, it will happen far sooner than later. Right now, I am glad that comparitively speaking to much of the rest of the nation, "Salt Lake City Metro is Booming big time."

Maybe I'm more in to the endless outdoor activities that I can take advantage of only minutes from my urban door. I'll take that over the 'Hell on earth' landscape of Dubai any day! But ultimately Tangled, Yes I agree, "Get off your butts already, you local visionaries out there." "Give us a skyline to match the Wasatch urbanscape!"

Afternoon office break, Salt Lake City Style.

Seamus 2008, looking toward U. of U. Campus

Neighborhood Urban Trails and endless options

Last edited by delts145; Jul 11, 2008 at 2:37 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
Well I have been browsing Skyscraperpage for a bit and at this moment I'm VERY disappointed in Salt Lake City's skyline right now. There are only 36 structures on the SLC diagram. Our tallest building is a mere 422 feet high. What I want to know is why haven't we broken the 750ft mark, or even the 500ft mark. We should have WAY more skyscrapers on our list. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, it's just the growth we are experiencing isn't that impressive when put into perspective to other cities in our country, let alone the world. For instance, did you know that all the projects proposed and under construction in Salt Lake combined equal only 1.5% of what is being developed and spent in Dubai?
It's a bit depressing.
Salt Lake needs something BIG. Really, REALLY big. (over 1000ft)
Anybody agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Brought over from SLC Development Page

Yes I agree, but I think we should shoot for the 500' mark first, then 750' and then maybe 1000', 422 to 1000 might be a little drastic . I'm not sure I ever see SLC going much over 50-55 floors, which could put us anywhere from 800 - 900 depending on the top they put on it. I would be satisfied with a spattering of 500' - 750' towers, maybe 5-8 of them, that would drastically change the skyline, even a few more mixed in there around the 400-500' mark would ad some nice density to our ever improving skyline, and maybe a tallest of around 900'. While I would like a 1000' tower I don't think SLC skyline necesarily needs something that tall to be a dramatic skyline, we have one thing that sets our skyline apart from any other city in the country and world, our amazing Wasatch Mountains.

With the rate that SLC and Utah is growing economically, even in an economic downturn, combined with the residential construction taking place in and around the cbd, I honestly expect that very soon (within a year) after the economy rebounds, that the announcment will be made breaking the 500' mark. What a happy day that will be for all us forum geeks.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 1:14 PM

Southern Metro - Provo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
NW rendering of the University Tower

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 10:11 PM
The World Is Welcome Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
Ok so here are a few ideas of mine, let me know what you think about them...

It appears that the foreign trade zone is proposed to be in the Poplar Grove/Rose Park/Glendale area(My hood) and I think that it would be a great place for the FTZ because of the ethnic diversity in the area and it would help the area's ecomnomy. I also think that this region is where the proposed Japantown and Little Mexico districts should be.

I think that 7th East opposite Liberty Park from 600 South to 1300 South would be a GREAT place to make a Grand Boulevard and fill the blocks (at least the west halves) with 10-20story residential towers. They shouldn't be any more than 250ft tall to preserve the mountain views.

I think that 1300 South from about State street to California Avenue (900 West) needs a makeover ESP. at the 300W/1300S intersection. Fill it with Green mixed-use developments and low-mid-income residential units.

And Last, but not least, I give you the SALT LAKE TOWER 1. It's just a proposal I did but I think it would look VERY good to have something this tall in Salt Lake. Dramatic, Drastic, Over 1,000ft high from sidewalk to spire and somewhat removed from the rest of the skyline. It would be glass-clad, with jagged angles and SLENDER so as to not block out the mountains and to maintain a natural belongs-here feel, and even reminding you of the mountains. It would be mixed-use. The very top of the tower would be structural, filled with windmills and solar panels to provide power for the tower, along with harnessed geothermal energy in the basement. The top floors would be residential units. Below that would be your commercial space, and the lowest floors would be entertainment/retail space. Parking can be in an adjacent structure. I believe it will be easier to get something like this built now that Becker is in office.

Ok lemme have it! I want to know what you guys all think....

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 10:52 PM

Bravo!

TANGELD_SLC: First, I like ALL your comments. Second, the tower is...WOW! I like is for many reasons. I like the location. Putting th tower as a new southern terminus of the CBD makes sense. Less impact of such a large buidling on existing infrastructure, particularly streets. The location also shows off the architecture of the tower.

I like the design. In fact, I'm taken with it. It fits with the surrounding mountains and existing buildings very well. Your design fits in. The designs for the proposed Proscenium project towers, for example, stick out like goose eggs. Yours doesn't, although it is 3X the size! Nice, real nice.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post

The Broadway Park lofts crane is now visible from the offramp on 900 South and West temple.

Also speaking of other Allen Millo projects...

Metro Park West's site has been updated...

Continuing with their quest to revitalize the Pioneer Park area, AllenMillo + Associates introduces a new level of sophisticated in urban living and working with Metro Park West Condominium.

A refined, eight-story, mixed use building rising on the west side of Pioneer Park - right in the middle of Salt Lake City's arts, dining, and entertainment district.

-71 Two-Story Luxury Town Homes
[32] w/ private roof terraces
[9] 3 Bedrooms - 2.5 Bath
[62] Bedrooms - 1.5 Bath

-1 floor retail
-3 Floors Class A Office Space

residential component reduced from 108 units to 71 units. more office space added to the development.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 4:01 AM

downtownrising.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
222 South Main - Photos from this morning - T-Mac

T-Mac

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Work under way on Holladay condos, developer plans downtown midrise
By Barbara Rattle
The Enterprise - July 14-20

JAR Development, Holladay, has broken ground for a 28-unit, five-story condominium project in Holladay and is seeking approval from Salt Lake City to construct an 11-story, high-end donwtown condo and apartment project that could contain as many as 140 units.

Company principal Jay Rice said Millcreek Terrace, 3944 S. 900 E., is well under way, and nearly half its units have already been sold. Parking will be on the ground level, while floors two and three will house two-bedroom condos measuring between 1,050 and 1,210 square feet. Levels four and five will be penthouses ranging in size from 1,050 to 1,950 square feet, each with three bedrooms, he said. Prices range from $259,900 to $650,000.

"We're probably the low price for this type of project," Rice said. "Most of them are in the $300 a foot range and we start at $250 a foot."

Features will include nine-foot ceilings -- 10-foot in the penthouses -- and all units will have gas fireplaces and balconies with substantial views as the project will be the tallest building in the area. The 1.5-acre site will be 50 percent landscaped, Rice said.

The firm's next endeavor has the working name of Lexie Towers. Rice said he is in preliminary entitlement negotiations with Salt Lake City for an 11-story luxury condo project just east of the Heber Wells state office building on 300 South in downtown Salt Lake City. The site presently houses a bank building which Rice said he is in the process of buying from Gaddis Investments, Salt Lake City.

"We've got the land under contract and have paid some money down on it, so we'll have the deal done in about three months," he said.

As envisioned, Lexie Towers would feature three levels of underground parking, ground level commercial and six floors of apartments crowned by four levels of luxury condos. The number of units in the project has not been determined, but Rice said there will probably be between 120 and 140.

Other projects completed by JAR Development include Holladay Farms, Holladay Pines and Garden Village, all in Holladay.

Royer Management Group is contractor on the Millcreek Terrace project, designed by Brent Hilton. Marketing is being conducted in-house.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCforme View Post
I really like the Lexie Towers, I especially like that they have both apartments and condos. I keep complaining that there are too many condo and too few apartment projects, but I understand that it is probably a better investment to build condos into a high rise than apartments, so this seems like a good compromise. It reminds me of many of the residential buildings in Madison Wisconsin, which I love. If SLC would pick up on some of the street life in that city we would be headed in the right direction.
Here's a pic of their current development (Jar Investment) on 900 East. Looks like the quality, height and density will be a good product for that location.

http://www.jardevco.com/galMillCreek.html

Located at 3944 So. 900 East, Salt Lake City, Utah. Mill Creek Terrace is a 5 story deluxe highrise building, located in the center of the east side of Salt Lake Valley. With spectacular views of the Wastch Mountain range, the City, the Great Salt Lake and the beautiful sunsets that make the evenings in the historic Salt Lake Valley so beautiful. With secured, garaged parking, Mill Creek Terrace is elevated assisted and fully handicapped accessible.

Lexie Tower

Located at 300 E. 200 So., a deluxe highrise tower of 11 stories. Located in Salt Lake's downtown district. This building will have commercial space on the main floor and a parking terrace below ground. The top four floors with consist of 50 penthouse condos with awesome views of the surrounding mountains, valley and the Great Salt Lake. The remaining 6 floors will consist of condominiums or apartments.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb View Post
Just so you all know (unless I missed an earlier post)... the additional crane segments that were noticed are a part of a new crane that is being assembled for Tower 2. I'll post in image here soon.
Quote:
Here is the picture. You can just barely see the crane to the left of the glass Salt Palace tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Nice picture GBB. I can see it, although it is dark, it is there.

Hurray, another crane

Quote:
Unfortunately my phone doesn't handle high contrast very well...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 4:15 AM

Quote:
ZCMI Block Update

Lots of cranes.

Tower 5 will fill in the end of Regent Street nicely.
T-Mac

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Crossroads Block Update

New tower crane in background and is that blue another crane going up?

T-Mac

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Tower One Update

T-Mac

Last edited by delts145; Jul 19, 2008 at 1:54 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 12:40 AM

222 South Main Update - T-Mac

Quote:
Photo update from this morning. They sure did a lot of work since I was there this morning in looking at the webcam.

T-Mac

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 11:43 AM

Northern Metro - Station Park - Officials in Farmington reveal planned layout of Phase 1 - Breaking Ground

http://davisclipper.com/default.asp?...rtoday&he=.com

STATION PARK will feature a 15-screen movie theater, as many as 15 major retailers, and a handful of multi-story office buildings.

Last edited by delts145; Jul 19, 2008 at 1:45 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Patrick Dry Goods Condo Conversion Pic Update

T-Mac

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 1:16 PM

Salt Lake Metro Projects - T-Mac

Quote:
Millrock Office Buildings

Millcreek Terrace

The Cottonwood

Last edited by delts145; Jul 21, 2008 at 5:03 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations