HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 6:43 PM

Hmm... That seems like a large space for just Apple.

Maybe Abercrombie & Fitch is in on this too? That would explain their YellowPages listing for Halifax (in HSC). HSC's Hollister store is the #1 store in Canada currently (according to staff), so that must've impressed the company. Victoria's Secret is opening in Halifax before Vancouver, Ottawa, and Winnipeg so there is no reason to say A&F wouldn't do the same.

Here is the link to the YellowPages ad http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Nova-S...&where=Halifax. I've called the number many times but there has never been an answer. A&F would need a space of between 6000-9000 sq. ft. if they opened. Add that to the 7000 sq. ft. Apple Store and this space would need to be 13 000-16 000 sq. ft.

They would both be huge draws for the city, so I would love to see this happen

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 7:09 PM

Where exactly is the apple store going?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
According to the rumours (everything it a rumour so far) it will be going in the current 2-storey open foyer between Sears and Club Monaco, where the escalator used to be.

The 2nd storey would be extended to fully close in that space (leaving behind a normal one-storey hallway on the first floor leading to the outside entrance), and the Apple Store would, according to rumour, occupy all of the newly created space on the 2nd storey.

Other versions of the rumour go even further, speculating that the Apple Store would actually be two storeys by itself, also taking over the 1st storey with a direct entrance to the outside (where the public Mall entrance currently sits). It would have an internal staircase linking the store's two storeys, and internal entrances to the mall on both levels. If that rumour proved true, then Club Monaco would lose its entrance along the existing 1st floor foyer (leaving behind only its secondary entrance), and Sears would either lose its entrance on the first floor entirely, or else end up with a significantly shrunken and reconfigured 1st floor entrance similar to its current entrance on the 2nd floor. I personally think this would be rather unlikely, bur it's not uncommon for Apple stores which are regional hubs to be two or three storeys tall, so it's not totally out of the question...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I don't think anyone knows, we're just waiting for an offical announcement and making exciting predictions in the meantime

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 10:40 PM

Mic Mac Mall is asking people if they would like to see the return of the Disney Store.

http://www.facebook.com/micmacmall

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 12:55 AM

Thanks for the pics -Harlington-! Looks like the renovations are pretty major.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I also remember Zapata's as being an excellent Greek restaurant in the late 1970's and early 1980's. It was on Dresden Row (if I remember correctly)....
I thought I remembered it being in the CBC Radio building but I was quite young and my memories may be all mixed up.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 7:51 PM

This is a photo I took the other night. Shows the temporary staging necessary to build the new floor.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 9:26 PM
積屍氣冥界波

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
This is more of a retail rumour... I noticed that a huge space at the corner of Duke and Barrington in Barrington Place Mall is being renovated. It used to be a travel agent and an investment/financial planner but they knocked down the wall between them and the space is enormous. Does anyone know what's in the works? I'd like to hope it will be retail - great street front exposure on a prominent corner - but the mall is so dismal otherwise that I wouldn't be surprised if it's an office.
The space today:

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 9:28 PM
積屍氣冥界波

Empty storefronts at Grandville Mall......

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 3:56 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SekishikiMeikaiHa View Post
The space today:

Based on a story in the allnovascotia.com by Amanda Fraser, ("New Restaurant for Delta Barrington", January 27th, 2012 edition) it seems as though this will be a 6,000 square foot restaurant that can seat 150 - 160 people. According to the story, it should be open by this coming summer.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 10:57 AM

Hmm... I wonder what it will be. The downtown Jack Astor's that we've mentioned before? Maybe something new, which would be nice.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 6:15 PM

Eatery may stake claim downtown
http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...claim-downtown

Will the smells and sounds of sizzling steaks soon fill the vacated Elephant & Castle premises?

The Halifax pub on George Street shut its doors in September. Its lease was terminated because Mast at Dawn Restaurants Ltd., the insolvent company that ran it, owed the building’s landlord thousands of dollars in back rent.

But now, word on the street is a new tenant has been found. An industry source, who asked not to be identified, told The Chronicle Herald that Vintage Chop-house and Tavern of Calgary would be setting up at that location, in what’s known as the Merrill Lynch building.

"A major makeover of the premises will begin shortly," the source said.

The leasing agent at Compass Commercial Realty, which is representing Robin Halifax Holdings Ltd., owners of the 3½-storey structure, would not confirm if Vintage Chophouse would be moving in.

"I’m afraid I can’t discuss any potential deal for a restaurant for this location at his time," Kevin Nettle, leasing and brokerage manager at Compass Commercial, said in an email Friday.

A Vintage spokesman could not be reached for comment.

Looks great! http://vintagechophouse.com/

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 6:29 PM

Also, regarding HSC:

According to mall staff, Victoria's Secret will be taking Bluenote's and Stoke's spaces and will be 6400 sq.ft. Aiming to open in July.

Not sure if either of these stores (Bluenotes, Stokes) will relocate elsewhere in the mall. I doubt it as the rents are skyrocketing in the mall due to the big name stores coming in, and both already have multiple locations in the city.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 11:11 PM

thinkkitchen will move into the space most recently occupied by oddjects. I guess it replaces Stokes.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
Also, regarding HSC:

According to mall staff, Victoria's Secret will be taking Bluenote's and Stoke's spaces and will be 6400 sq.ft. Aiming to open in July.

Not sure if either of these stores (Bluenotes, Stokes) will relocate elsewhere in the mall. I doubt it as the rents are skyrocketing in the mall due to the big name stores coming in, and both already have multiple locations in the city.
I think Bluenotes will relocate in HSC , they seem to have a presence in most big popular malls, they are in chinook here in Calgary easily the highest rent in Calgary as far as malls go, also in WEM in Edmonton most likely the highest rent in Canada in that respect. Not sure bout stokes?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
I think Bluenotes will relocate in HSC , they seem to have a presence in most big popular malls, they are in chinook here in Calgary easily the highest rent in Calgary as far as malls go, also in WEM in Edmonton most likely the highest rent in Canada in that respect. Not sure bout stokes?
I don't know... Bulenotes had a massive firesale over the last few days before it closed. They were looking to liquidate all their remaining stock. If this was just a temporary measure prior to a routine relocation, I wouldn't have expected them to be quite that aggressive.

Previous interviews with Bluenotes staff had indicated that the closure caught them completely off-guard. The closure wasn't Bluenotes' decision; rather, their lease had been bought out.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 1:03 PM

The Pizza Delight in HSC is closing and relocating to Spring Garden. Also, ScovaNotian was right; Stoke's is rebranding and opening as ThinkKitchen where oddjects was. Looks like more opportunities for big name stores!

Also, Toys r Us is reportedly looking at Bayers Lake to open a second store (after MicMac closes). It will be much like the one in DC.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
The Pizza Delight in HSC is closing and relocating to Spring Garden. Also, ScovaNotian was right; Stoke's is rebranding and opening as ThinkKitchen where oddjects was. Looks like more opportunities for big name stores!

Also, Toys r Us is reportedly looking at Bayers Lake to open a second store (after MicMac closes). It will be much like the one in DC.
I think HSC is too high-end now for Pizza Delight. Although SGR might be too high-end for them aswell.

As for Toys R Us opening in BL makes sense. They should be starting work on the Bayers lake expansion in February or March according to news reports. This is another place IKEA could go.

The Toys R Us Express is still open in HSC. And apparently LUSH is opening a 2nd location in HSC.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 4:09 PM

Yes Pizza Delight probably didn't/ won't fit in in HSC much longer. Its only a matter of time before Dollarama's lease is up and they're booted out as well. That will free up close to 15 000 sq. ft!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General