HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 8:58 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Relative growth is what effects rent rates. Montreals growth rate is almost half that of the other top six cities. When you factor in that immigrants flock to the big 6 more than anywhere else in canada, this trend isnt minor.

Is montreal even holding its relative share of the country.
Relative growth is not really relevant when you obtain a certain critical mass. When Montreal was the size of the other cities, its growth rate was even higher than what these can do today. When/If any of these cities get to 4 million, they will likely have the same growth rate as Montreal today if they ever reach it and keep booming...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 9:06 PM
video et taceo

i don't know. montreal slowed because it became incompatible with the majority of the canadian workforce. it is quebec's metropolis now.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 9:24 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
i don't know. montreal slowed because it became incompatible with the majority of the canadian workforce. it is quebec's metropolis now.
The only point im trying to make is that obviously it slowed in growth rate because of the size it reached but these years the absolute numbers are even above its historical average.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Mt. Pleasant for 650. Yaletown for 900. You must have the magic touch when it comes to finding a place. I guess you need that cheap rent cause you're spending way too much on food and car insurance.
Have you ever tried craigslist?

Most studios in yaletown are anywhere from $900 to $1300 a month.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
Relative growth is not really relevant when you obtain a certain critical mass. When Montreal was the size of the other cities, its growth rate was even higher than what these can do today. When/If any of these cities get to 4 million, they will likely have the same growth rate as Montreal today if they ever reach it and keep booming...
The whole world was growing faster when Montreal was in its prime. If and when other Canadian cities reach 4M they will likely be growing slower than Montreal is today. Montreal will likely be growing even slower still.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
The whole world was growing faster when Montreal was in its prime. If and when other Canadian cities reach 4M they will likely be growing slower than Montreal is today. Montreal will likely be growing even slower still.
I wonder if Montreal will reach 6 million in our lifetimes.

I can see Vancouver reaching 4 million by 2040.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
I wonder if Montreal will reach 6 million in our lifetimes.

I can see Vancouver reaching 4 million by 2040.
Depends how old you are. lol

I think Montréal can reach 5M by 2025.

Greater Montréal is only 4 258,97 km2, but the real metropolitan area is much bigger.
The entire South Shore comprising the Urban agglomeration of Longueuil and the Couronne-Sud totals 700,904+ inhabitants. The Greater South Shore extends from Sorel-Tracy in the north to Salaberry-de-Valleyfield in the south, and as far as Saint-Hyacinthe in the east, including the agglomeration of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu. The Greater South Shore has a total population of 970,779+ people. After the South Shore itself, it is the city of Montreal which is the second destination of residents.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 2:43 AM

Again my question..................are available condo rentals included in CMHC's methodology or strictly rentals in rental buildings?

One thing I have noticed that is unusual about London Ontario is that London builds relatively few condo towers and lots of rental. It seems to be the only city in the country where rental construction consistently out builds condo construction.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 1:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Again my question..................are available condo rentals included in CMHC's methodology or strictly rentals in rental buildings?

One thing I have noticed that is unusual about London Ontario is that London builds relatively few condo towers and lots of rental. It seems to be the only city in the country where rental construction consistently out builds condo construction.
Large student population that doesn't necessarily stick around after graduation.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 1:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
It is also to some degree incompatible with the vision many people around the world have of a (North) American place they would like to migrate to.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 7:03 PM
video et taceo

really? new york does fine, as does boston. do you mean built form or language/culture?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 8:33 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
really? new york does fine, as does boston. do you mean built form or language/culture?
NYC's rate (RATE) of international immigration is not even close to that for Vancouver, Calgary or Toronto, all of which of course eclipse Montreal as well.

Boston? Huh?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 9:33 PM
video et taceo

i was comparing the cities in terms of built form. i had taken acajack's remark about montreal being "to some degree incompatible with the vision many people around the world have of a (North) American place they would like to migrate to" as referencing the city's old and dense built form, but i am not sure if that is how it was meant.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

CHMC cant include privately rented units as data would be difficult to acquire.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 1:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Mostly language and culture. Like it or not, a lot of people who immigrate to (North) America have an image of what to expect forged by American movies and TV.

A mostly French-speaking society with a number of historical hang-ups and a solidly established culture is not exactly a perfect fit with that vision. (I've actually had people tell me that Montreal and Quebec reminded them too much of home - and home was not a francophone place at all - and that that's what they wanted to get away from, somewhere with a clean, open slate.)

English Canadian cities are a lot closer to that vision (both the clean slate and Hollywood America to some degree even).

Immigration to Montreal was basically similar to North American patterns for a long time, and when Montreal in the 60s and 70s started evolving towards something different (especially affirming its French character more) the city suffered quite a bit because of this incompatibility as it can't realistically compete with other cities in Canada and the U.S. for these types of immigrants. And even if it does get them they often end up getting frustrated and leaving after a few years.

Montreal has largely refocused its immigration targeting over the past couple of decades and is getting people from very different sources now, that dare I say are often more in line with the local culture.

Essentially, Montreal and the other large Canadian cities aren't really competing for the same immigrants any more.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada