HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 8:28 PM

Well I agree that Coal and Concord don't measure up to Commercial or robson, but they are highrise neighborhoods built around parks not retail corridors. Anytime of day you WILL see people utilizing the waterfront opportunites in these newer areas. Its a place to LIVE not an area just to shop. How many people are walking there dogs or jogging or practicing yoga on commercial? These new areas are definitely a "softer" type city, maybe because we in the US tend to idealize the hustle and bustle of NY that the calm of these new areas doesn't feel like a city. Can't cities be more then just a place for Commerce?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 10:35 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Can't cities be more then just a place for Commerce?
They can and should--but commerce is elemental to our existence. Many of Vancouver's towers are owned by people using them as vacation homes. I believe a city should serve the people who live there, not so much those who visit--though tourism dollars are also important. I also think the streetscape is more important than how a skyline looks.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 1:24 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

^ Ironically, Vancouver is now looking towards our Pearl District as an alternative way to develop - ie, lower-rise by reusing historic older buildings.

And over in Europe I hear laughter... "oh those yanks..."

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 7:16 AM

I wish somebody would come in and demolish the Travelodge that's at the big intersection near Barbur/I-405/Broadway/Duniway. That place is a disaster, and it's really weighing the area down. I'm glad to see this Day's Inn get this treatment, and I'm glad that some attention is being focused in this direction.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 12:17 AM
A before E

I am currently visiting Chicago for a few days and they seem to have nothing wrong with the high rises here.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 3:57 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
I am currently visiting Chicago for a few days and they seem to have nothing wrong with the high rises here.
Chicago also has great infill and the best public art in the US.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 1:45 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX City-State View Post
Chicago also has great infill and the best public art in the US.
yes and yes...but there is something Portland can be proud of, Chicago's beer is total corporate crap, no where near as good as Portland. Oh and the head line in today's paper, "Daley's city not as 'green.'" So that is something else Portland has to be proud of.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 3:23 PM
Well designed mixed use

Very true--not to mention that we're (PDX, Seattle, Vancouver) are a little ahead of the game in the coffee department. One thing of Chicago though: I think it's the best food city in the US.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics