HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 9:03 PM

Vote!

Hey peeps, if you haven't turn in your ballots, do so! M49's passage is SO important to Oregon, and for our ability to continue to be leaders in shaping the future of American living.

It's too late to mail them, but for a list of drop boxes, check out this link.
http://www.yeson49.com/2007/10/drop_box_locati.html

I encourage a yes on 50 too, but more importantly, vote! People like shrub get elected when we don't.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 9:17 PM

Its too late!? Damnit...i was going to do that today. I have a good feeling that 49 will pass. 50 i'm not so sure on..

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 10:24 PM

^if you mailed it today, there is a 99% chance it will be received by Tuesday, but is isn't guaranteed anymore. So best to drop it off.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 1:29 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

drop it off. ballot drop boxes everywhere!

Mult County Elections office is @ 11th and Morrison if you need to change your address.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 7:21 AM

I sent it in the day after it arrived in the mail. Voted yes on 49 and 50.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 5:14 AM

Thank you, fellow Oregonians!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:20 PM

Voters keep cigarette tax as is but roll back property rights
Wednesday, November 07, 2007
ERIC MORTENSON
The Oregonian

Oregon voters overwhelmingly approved Measure 49 on Tuesday, rolling back the property development rights approved just three years earlier.

After a hammer and tong campaign that pitted conservationists against timber interests, and in which both sides recruited usually reticent farmers to the fray, voters approved Measure 49 by 61 percent to 39 percent.

"People stood back and watched it for three years and said this isn't what we voted for," Gov. Ted Kulongoski said.

About 300 supporters, gathered at the McMenamins Kennedy School in Northeast Portland, cheered and applauded when the results were posted.

"This is a real relief," said Bruce Chapin, a Salem-area hazelnut farmer.

But opponents said Oregon's land-use battles are far from over. Dave Hunnicutt, president of the property rights group Oregonians in Action, said he'll spend the next couple of months helping frustrated landowners sort through their options.

"There may be some who think this ends the issue, but I think they'd be in the minority," he said.

Hunnicutt said opponents never had a chance because Democratic legislators wrote the 21-page measure's ballot title and explanatory statement themselves.

"I'm not sure voters ever really got a chance to understand one way or the other what the impact of 49 really does," he said.

The outcome drastically scales back development allowed under Measure 37, approved by voters in 2004. Under the new law, landowners will be allowed to build one to 10 houses under various scenarios. The measure prohibits larger subdivisions and commercial and industrial development, however.

Some claims filed under Measure 37 remain in limbo. If property owners are legally vested -- meaning they've spent enough money or done enough construction -- they might be able to finish projects that are beyond the scope of what's allowed under Measure 49.

After an intense campaign, the state's populous urban counties -- primarily Multnomah, Washington and Clackamas, joined by Marion, Lane and Benton -- carried the day for Measure 49. Many rural counties in eastern and southern Oregon rejected the measure.

Supporters said Measure 49 would fix the problems with Measure 37 by allowing rural property owners to build a few homes but prohibiting giant subdivisions and commercial and industrial development. Opponents maintained Measure 49 would gut the earlier property rights measure.

Measure 37 spoke to the frustration of thousands of Oregonians who had come to believe that government-imposed conditions and prohibitions violated their property rights. It passed handily in 2004, winning 61 percent of the vote. Property owners responded by filing 7,500 development claims, asking for the right to develop everything from single homes and 100-home subdivisions to shopping malls, resorts and gravel pits -- much of it on rural farmland and forestland.

Property owners often were acting on the advice of land-use lawyers who encouraged them to file for the maximum allowed as a placeholder claim to preserve future development rights. Property rights advocates argued that market conditions, the lack of infrastructure and Measure 37's health and safety provisions would restrict the actual development that would take place.

There was no mistaking the voters' mood in 2004. A state-appointed "Big Look" task force, assigned afterward to review the land-use planning system and suggest changes, concluded that many Oregonians viewed the system as unnecessarily complicated and heavy-handed.

But the scale of proposed Measure 37 development, especially in the Willamette Valley where 60 percent of the claims were filed, alarmed conservationists and farm groups. They found ready allies in Democratic legislators, who wrote Measure 49 during the 2007 legislative session and referred it to voters on a party-line vote.

The campaign partisans took it from there. Yamhill County vineyard owner Eric Lemelson poured more than $1 million into the Yes on 49 campaign. The Nature Conservancy of Oregon, which usually works in the background buying land for preservation as wildlife habitat, made passing Measure 49 its top priority and funneled $1.2 million to the campaign.

Timber companies were the biggest contributors to the other side. Stimson Lumber, which filed Measure 37 development claims on at least 57,000 acres, contributed $495,000 to Oregonians in Action, which headed the opposition.

Reporter Michael Milstein of The Oregonian contributed to this report. Eric Mortenson; 503-294-7636; ericmortenson@news.oregonian.com
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...399901&page=23

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:25 PM

Losing, and finding, Oregon's center
Oregonians don't like to be second-guessed, but in Measure 49
Wednesday, November 07, 2007
The Oregonian

T he thumping success of Measure 49 steers Oregon back to a long-lost place, a kind of Brigadoon where the state's environmental achievements still shimmer:

The political center.

And we should stop and say, for the record, it's wonderful to be back.

This is a place where Rs and Ds know how to work together. Clearly, Oregon voters recognized Measure 49 as a compromise, even if Republicans in the Oregon Legislature weren't so sure about that last spring. But that only shows perhaps how far we've all wandered from the center. For that reason, the Democratic majority had to wind up shipping Measure 49 onto the November ballot last spring without much Republican help.

The Ds did so at considerable political risk. Measure 49 revises Measure 37, the extremist property-rights law Oregon voters overwhelmingly approved in 2004. And Oregonians, remember, hate being second-guessed.

Voters typically reject anything that smacks of repeal. Opponents of Measure 49, naturally, billed it as a repeal, even though it isn't.

Measure 49 protects both property owners and taxpayers by limiting the damage Measure 37 would have done to Oregon. The previous law enabled property owners to demand compensation if they felt -- yes, simply felt -- that regulations had devalued their land.

As of Tuesday, property owners had filed 6,821 claims against the state, seeking $19.7 billion in damages. (Another registry at Portland State puts the total claims at over 7,500, jeopardizing nearly 800,000 acres of land.)

Since neither the state nor local governments could pay such exorbitant demands, property owners sought instead the right to develop, well, pretty much anything they wanted to, even on farmland. Never mind that hundreds of thousands of their neighbors had purchased their land under strict rules to protect farming. Their property rights didn't matter. They had no weight under Measure 37, another reason voters had the good sense to dial it back on Tuesday.

But Measure 49 also loos- ens land-use restrictions that antagonize farmers. It allows them to build up to three houses quickly. More development, from four to 10 houses, is possible in some cases if property owners don't just feel they've been damaged by regulations, but can actually prove it.

"I think it's a good compromise," former state Sen. Hector Macpherson said Tuesday, "and actually makes the land-use planning system better." At 89, he knows something about that. In those halcyon days we mentioned earlier, Macpherson led the charge to create the land-use system and save farmland.

Like many of Oregon's legendary environmental champions, he was an R. Has been most of his life, only relatively recently becoming a D. "It wasn't that I changed," Macpherson stressed Tuesday. "They changed."

Well, some did.

Welcome back to the political center, Oregonians. There's plenty of room for back-and-forth, for new heroes to emerge in the mold of a Macpherson, for new solutions and new triumphs. This is the strongest place we can be, working side by side.

http://www.oregonlive.com/editorials...490.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 5:59 PM

I for one voted.

Got together with a couple of freinds and talked about the issues and then voted.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 6:43 AM

I'm curious who voted no on 50, I thought it was a good idea mostly because it balanced the tax with Washington. Didn't seem to go out of reach for that reason, but the program doesn't do anything for me personally so I can' say I lost anything with it not passing.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 8:24 AM

I can see a lot of farmers in the Willamette Valley building 3 palatial homes for sale with 40 acres of wine grapes for the homeowners use. If anything I think this is going to very beneficial for Oregon's wine industry. It is going to be very in to be a gentleman farmer with a small wine production. I think this is something a lot of people have wanted to do but didn't want to buy a massive farm to accomplish.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics