HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 4:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, what's next for HSC? Valet parking? Dog walkers while you shop?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Rereading this, the comment sounds kind of catty, but I was really just making a joke.

I'm actually excited to see these new stores coming to HSC (especially the Apple Store). I will appreciate not having to travel to the States or Upper Canada to shop at these destination stores.

A question though - how has HSC managed to out maneuvre Mic Mac Mall in attracting these heavy hitting destination stores? In theory, Mic Mac should be more competitive. It's larger, has more parking and may have the advantage of being close to Dartmouth Crossing. Instead, Mic Mac is losing retailer like Toys R Us and Future Shop. Does anyone have an answer?

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 31, 2012 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

EDIT:

Rereading this, the comment sounds kind of catty, but I was really just making a joke.

I'm actually excited to see these new stores coming to HSC (especially the Apple Store). I will appreciate not having to travel to the States or Upper Canada to shop at these destination stores.

A question though - how has HSC managed to out maneuvre Mic Mac Mall in attracting these heavy hitting destination stores? In theory, Mic Mac should be more competitive. It's larger, has more parking and may have the advantage of being close to Dartmouth Crossing. Instead, Mic Mac is losing retailer like Toys R Us and Future Shop. Does anyone have an answer?
Mic Mac and Halifax Shopping Centre actually aren't that much different in size (excluding the HSC annex). It's the stores that are in the mall that matter anyway, not the size of the mall. I don't think I've ever heard of someone going to a specific mall just because it has more retail space. It is usually the quality of the stores. So basically, quality over quantity for malls.

I'm really not sure why HSC is attracting the stores that Mic Mac isn't. Both receive 6-7 million in traffic each year and have very similar sales figures (for now). Better management maybe? MMM has hired a new manager so maybe that had something to do with it? Either way, I wouldn't count Mic Mac out just yet. Forever 21 is still looking for a large enough space (20-30 thousand sq.ft.) in Halifax, and I think the Toys r Us space might be prime. F21 would be huge for bringing some attention back to MMM.

It seemed to me that while Mic Mac and Champlain Place were the big malls of the Maritimes, Halifax Shopping Centre was quietly gaining upscale stores like Banana Republic, Club Monaco, Coach, etc. The profile of existing stores is a big determiner in where future big brands will locate (regarding malls). So I think the opening of Sephora and Hollister last year really swung things dramatically in HSC's favor. It's almost like a chain reaction, now with Victoria's Secret ,(possibly) Apple. Both Apple and VS will in turn be a catalyst for more big stores to open.

HSC is now the place to go for Maritime shopping, for one reason or another.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 10:49 PM

I wonder if HSC is heading for another expansion, perhaps the addition of a 3rd floor.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
I wonder if HSC is heading for another expansion, perhaps the addition of a 3rd floor.
I wondered that myself when I heard all the store rumors. It's at about 700 000 sq ft now (excluding annex). So another floor would create about 350 000 sq ft extra and bring it up to about 1.1 million sq ft. That would be awesome, all the new stores that would be a part of that!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure exactly why this is. Mic Mac has attracted stores like H & M and Bath & Body Works that I'm sure HSC would like to have if they have room. Mic Mac also has BCBGMAXAZRIA which is a fairly expensive clothing store.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 11:31 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Bath & Body Works opens its second HFX location in HSC in the near future.

Mic Mac has been increasingly "upscale" recently as well come to think of it (although less than HSC). With BCBG and Pandora opening. Maybe this is a Halifax trend?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 12:55 AM

I think that more and more people are switching from the quantity over quality to quality over quantity.

This is eveident in the stores opening up in these malls, also as a retail employee over the Christmas season, I found that my store sold more name brand products than our own brand, year over year. The private labels don't last as long as national brands and people know that now.

Also with places like Bayers Lake, DC, and BC growing, they are attracting the lower end stores with their lower rents opening up more space in the malls in which the malls have to fill.

Also from talking to people it seems like these higher end stores are doing amazingly well for how long they have been here and I think that more and more people are coming to Halifax from around the Atlantic provinces to shop at these stores.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 4:49 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Also from talking to people it seems like these higher end stores are doing amazingly well for how long they have been here and I think that more and more people are coming to Halifax from around the Atlantic provinces to shop at these stores.
I think Halifax has lately been a bit "under-retailed". Up until recently there was pretty limited high-end shopping despite the size of the city and the fact that it is a good place for stores unique to the region.

One change now is that there is way more money in the Halifax area than there used to be. The number of people employed in Halifax is over 225,000, for example. Back in 1980 that was probably more like 150,000 or less.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Bath & Body Works opens its second HFX location in HSC in the near future.

Mic Mac has been increasingly "upscale" recently as well come to think of it (although less than HSC). With BCBG and Pandora opening. Maybe this is a Halifax trend?
It's a shame Park Lane and Spring Garden Road couldn't have taken advantage of this. But I am glad HSC isn't loosing to Dartmouth Crossing or Bayers Lake.

What happened to the Sony Store at HSC? Also, is Coles still open? It sounds like Coles is in the middle of the construction site.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslath View Post
It's a shame Park Lane and Spring Garden Road couldn't have taken advantage of this. But I am glad HSC isn't loosing to Dartmouth Crossing or Bayers Lake.

What happened to the Sony Store at HSC? Also, is Coles still open? It sounds like Coles is in the middle of the construction site.
I think Sony was struggling and closed some of their Canadian stores. The one in Mic Mac is still open.

Coles (I'm assuming) will either have to relocate or leave the mall because they are right in the middle of a potential 8000 sqft space. Right now they are not involved in the construction.

Regarding HSC and Mic Mac vs DC ad BL, there are always going to be stores that don't belong in big power centers so I don't think they really compete against each other. The power centers compete against each other, as do the malls.

Last edited by icetea93; Feb 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 4:13 PM

Quote:

Actually valet parking at some downtown malls is becoming a common practice. The Core Shopping Complex (Calgary Eaton Centre) began offering it for customers mainly for Holt Renfrew. However, it became so popular that they extended it to anyone who wanted it. It's popular even on weekends.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 4:14 PM

Chickenburger to open downtown Halifax location in March

(from CH online)

A downtown Halifax version of the Chickenburger that’s been dragging its wings for months is finally slated to take flight this spring.

A version of the classic Bedford eatery is opening at 1468 Queen St. on March 10, according to Micco Companies.

Last year, Chickenburger owner Mickey MacDonald, who bought the business in 2007, had predicted the downtown diner would open last summer, and later, last December.

The delays were due to the time it took to get building permits from the city, MacDonald, who heads Micco, said Thursday.

He’s spending about $500,000 refitting a century-old home on Queen Street. J.W. Lindsay Enterprises Ltd. of Dartmouth started the construction work about two months ago.

“Now we’ve got all the approvals done, they’re in there doing the construction,” MacDonald said. “We’re trying to keep that nostalgia look and feel.”

Micco hasn’t done any feasibility studies to see if the Chickenburger will take off downtown, he said.

“This is just sort of a seat-of-the-pants, trying things out. The area down there’s good. There’s lots of construction. The library’s going in across the street. People have been asking for it down there. So it seems to cause a lot of interest anyways.”

A Chickenburger franchise opened just before Christmas at the Halifax Stanfield International Airport. The franchisee is HMSHost, the food and beverage concessionaire at the airport.

Sales have been going “very well” at the airport so far, MacDonald said.

Besides travellers and those waiting for people to arrive, staff at the airport really like the food, said the Halifax entrepreneur.

“I know people from all over the world who have stopped in now in the short period that we’ve been there and they’re trying it out and they sort of like it. So far the reports are all good.”

When asked if there’s been any more interest in the franchise, MacDonald said his company is still trying to figure out if it’s the right direction to take.

The rest of the story is here.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 11:20 PM

It seems that it's been a little while, but Two If by Sea has taken over the coffee shop location at Historic Properties that used to be Timothy's World, then Perks and (briefly) Just Us.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:32 PM

Fossil will be opening soon on the upper level of HSC next to Telus.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
Fossil will be opening soon on the upper level of HSC next to Telus.
Great news, HSC is on a roll.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 8:37 PM

Here's a photo from today of the continuing exterior work for the Apple Store:

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 8:46 PM

I remember the original entrance to the mall at this spot had a metal plaque embedded into the sidewalk in front of the doors saying that a time capsule had been buried in that spot. I wonder if the capsule is still there?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I remember the original entrance to the mall at this spot had a metal plaque embedded into the sidewalk in front of the doors saying that a time capsule had been buried in that spot. I wonder if the capsule is still there?
How long ago was HSC built?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
How long ago was HSC built?
1961 was the first phase

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 10:30 PM

I must say it doesn't look like an Apple to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General