HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 1:32 AM

the vancouver project that never happenned

i found these pics of the old freeway that was envisioned and the third crossing

i wonder how the city would look had it gone through

bridge proposal

as seen from stanley park

tunnel

waterfront freeway

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 2:43 AM

Really cool pics SpongeG. Interesting to think how it would have changed the feel of the CBD.

All I can say is that I'm so very glad they didn't go through with this plan. I like what's happening on the Coal Harbour waterfront now, and either option would have separated the city from most of the central waterfront.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 4:34 AM

What a cool find. Obviously it was good they didnt go through with this plan but that bridge would have been beautiful. All the interchanges and connections would have severely scarred the CBD and Vancouver's waterfront would look alot more like Seattle's.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 5:05 AM

This highway would have destroyed everything that makes Vancouver what it is. Sprawl would have been exponentially worse, plus they would have leveled Gastown to make this thing, one of the only areas in our city that might be considered historic. I hate to say this, but thank you NIMBYs, this time...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 5:07 AM

my god that looks hideous.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 6:29 AM
Vancouver Moderator

that's gross.... a concrete disaster cutting through a city. Yeah thank god we dont' have one. Or else we may have looked like LA or Seattle perhaps

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 6:36 AM
Dérive-r

Cool find. What a horrible mess of ramps. Goodbye Harbour Green Park.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 6:48 AM

is this the same project in the 60's that was suppose to rampage through chinatown and strathcona?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezied View Post
is this the same project in the 60's that was suppose to rampage through chinatown and strathcona?
yes it is. thank god for the NIMBY's.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 7:21 AM

All I have to say is yuck.

We were sparred a similar thing in Calgary that would have resulted in a freeway cutting through the middle of what is now our downtown, but in both these cases I think we should thank the nimby's of the time for opposing.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 8:12 AM

That would have been one BIG bridge, I'm glad it didn't happen. However, it would be kind of nice to have another crossing... a tunnel would be great, like the many tunnels in NYC. Expensive though, and I'm not sure any of us would be willing to pay the tolls they usually require.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
That would have been one BIG bridge, I'm glad it didn't happen. However, it would be kind of nice to have another crossing... a tunnel would be great, like the many tunnels in NYC. Expensive though, and I'm not sure any of us would be willing to pay the tolls they usually require.
In many cases the people that drive from the North shore to Vancouver on a daily basis are senior people in downtown companies who live in nice, expensive North shore neighbourhoods. Due to their senior positions, they would consider a toll bridge just another commuting cost of business.
For all the other people, they would continue to use the other bridges and the ferry.

So I think another (tolled) route (bridge or tunnel) is viable

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 4:34 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

There was talk as recently as the late 80s earlier 90s of the company that built the massey tunnel along with a developer offering to build a tunnel with no cost to the government. All they wanted in exchange was the tolls for the first 10years as well as being able to use all material removed from the tunnel to build an island off of Stanley park to sell as residential condos. The city knew it would be shot down by nimbys and never entertained the option.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
In many cases the people that drive from the North shore to Vancouver on a daily basis are senior people in downtown companies who live in nice, expensive North shore neighbourhoods. Due to their senior positions, they would consider a toll bridge just another commuting cost of business.
For all the other people, they would continue to use the other bridges and the ferry.

So I think another (tolled) route (bridge or tunnel) is viable
I gotta disagree, as a resident of west van and someone who uses lions gate everyday, i generally wouldn't bother driving into north van to use a tunnel, and i certainly wouldn't if a toll was required. I really don't think there is a need for a third crossing, sure it'd be nice if lions gate was 4 lanes, but traffic isn't really that big of an issue. Besides the tunnel would be kinda useless without the accompanying freeway, there would still be no more street space downtown. Just like if u replaced lions gate with an 8 lane bridge, once the cars get across there's no where for them to go.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan6969 View Post
I gotta disagree, as a resident of west van and someone who uses lions gate everyday, i generally wouldn't bother driving into north van to use a tunnel, and i certainly wouldn't if a toll was required. I really don't think there is a need for a third crossing, sure it'd be nice if lions gate was 4 lanes, but traffic isn't really that big of an issue. Besides the tunnel would be kinda useless without the accompanying freeway, there would still be no more street space downtown. Just like if u replaced lions gate with an 8 lane bridge, once the cars get across there's no where for them to go.
I think a rapid transit link would be a much less disruptive and cost effective way of connecting people from the North Shore and Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 12:50 AM
HA

^Extension of the Skytrain Canada Line northwards to Lonsdale would be perfect but I really doubt the design of the Waterfront Station would allow that to happen.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 1:45 AM
Big City Enthusiast

We could extend the skytrain from Burrard Station, going under Georgia street then thru Stanley Park then under the Lions Gate Bridge (or in a tunnel under the ocean) then pop up at the Mall (for West Van) then turn East toward Lonsdale.

Perhaps, This SkyTrain line could be called, SkyTrain Great White Line?? (complimenting the Expo, Millennium, Canada, and Evergreen Lines) and since Canada is known as the Great White North and this line would go to the Northshore.

Think of the good such a subway would do for downtown and the Northshore, a straight shot from North and West Vancouver to the Financial District hub. We'd be more like Japan with this line. And certainly the line would be good for downtown, with stations at Robson/Butte (Robson via tunnel connector), Denman, and Stanley Park (somewhere inside).

I think after the Millennium Extension, this should be our next subway expansion - which would allow for continued urbanization of the Northshore and Downtown without adding to sprawl and auto traffic!!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
We could extend the skytrain from Burrard Station, going under Georgia street then thru Stanley Park then under the Lions Gate Bridge (or in a tunnel under the ocean) then pop up at the Mall (for West Van) then turn East toward Lonsdale.

Perhaps, This SkyTrain line could be called, SkyTrain Great White Line?? (complimenting the Expo, Millennium, Canada, and Evergreen Lines) and since Canada is known as the Great White North and this line would go to the Northshore.

Think of the good such a subway would do for downtown and the Northshore, a straight shot from North and West Vancouver to the Financial District hub. We'd be more like Japan with this line. And certainly the line would be good for downtown, with stations at Robson/Butte (Robson via tunnel connector), Denman, and Stanley Park (somewhere inside).

I think after the Millennium Extension, this should be our next subway expansion - which would allow for continued urbanization of the Northshore and Downtown without adding to sprawl and auto traffic!!
If only the Canada Line's Waterfront Station were deeper so it could be extended in the future to the North Shore, but it isn't.....and i doubt those tiny future 50-metre trains could handle all the traffic anyway.

Personally, I'd like to call it something else rather than the Great White Line....something like the SkyTrain Pacific Line. I don't know about which route is the best though.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 4:28 AM

the north shore has the sea bus - thats pretty good

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the north shore has the sea bus - thats pretty good
yea, but it only goes to North Vancouver and it's not frequent and terribly slow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion