HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

    

Babylone Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Montreal Skyscraper Diagram
Montreal Projects & Construction Forum
            
View Full Map

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 3:56 AM
davidivivid's Avatar
davidivivid davidivivid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ville de Québec City
Posts: 2,426
Genivar now has about 15 000 employees worldwide. Let's hope that they will realize that the current location of their HQ in the sad looking greyish building in Rumor's pic isn't fit for their company anymore. That way, they could rent a lot of office space in a new office tower downtown!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors View Post
I think this is the right place? My Pic:
__________________
"I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I lost two weeks" Joe E. Lewis

Last edited by davidivivid; Apr 6, 2013 at 4:08 AM.
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 1:20 PM
Danse Cité Danse Cité is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
Genivar now has about 15 000 employees worldwide. Let's hope that they will realize that the current location of their HQ in the sad looking greyish building in Rumor's pic isn't fit for their company anymore. That way, they could rent a lot of office space in a new office tower downtown!!!!
They're engineers which usually means they're cheap and if they build, they like bulky cubes. Look at what SNC-Lavalin built on R.L. Not sure it would be much better than this cube.
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 4:32 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 11,983
SNC lavalin did build the 1000 de la gauchetiere with the intended purpose of making it it's HQ, but that didn't pan out for some bizarre reason.

As for that greyish building, it looked a lot better when it was completed in 1958:



But I doubt it is now top-notch office space, if anything it probably has one of the cheapest rents in downtown. I wouldn't be surprised to see it completely redeveloped in the near future or even knocked down. I don't see Genivar staying in there too long.
__________________
Alarm Force is listed on the TSX
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 6:29 PM
West_aust's Avatar
West_aust West_aust is offline
Vorsprung Durch Technik
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
SNC lavalin did build the 1000 de la gauchetiere with the intended purpose of making it it's HQ, but that didn't pan out for some bizarre reason.
the 1000 was built to be Lavalin HQ, but they ran into financial difficulties, partly due to their aircraft leasing business, and SNC bought them out and merged with them which is why they never moved at 1000.
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 4:03 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 11,983
Some new pictures.















__________________
Alarm Force is listed on the TSX
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 3:46 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
The Vomit Bag.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Tropic of Sir Galahad
Posts: 30,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
SNC lavalin did build the 1000 de la gauchetiere with the intended purpose of making it it's HQ, but that didn't pan out for some bizarre reason.

As for that greyish building, it looked a lot better when it was completed in 1958:



But I doubt it is now top-notch office space, if anything it probably has one of the cheapest rents in downtown. I wouldn't be surprised to see it completely redeveloped in the near future or even knocked down. I don't see Genivar staying in there too long.
The yellow-pages building. It does look much better in the above shot. I always hated this building as concordia-quartier-crap.
__________________
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbraith
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere.Elie Wiesel
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 5:36 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 11,983
New name. Now it's just Babylone.


The lone baby.


Anyways, new renderings, too:













http://babylonecondos.com/index.php?lang=fr


Je compte 27 + 37 étages.
__________________
Alarm Force is listed on the TSX
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 8:08 PM
Tlaffin's Avatar
Tlaffin Tlaffin is offline
TonyMTL
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 56
Exciting! Hopefully this project gains some traction quickly.

I dont know about everyone else, but I like these towers. Big enough, and very open/airy. A different style for Montreal, and is very welcome in my humble, humble opinion.
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 6:59 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 11,983
A sales rep has confirmed that the height will be 120m (as per the limit) and the tower to have 37 floors.

No word on the height of the second tower. But based on the floor heights of the first tower, tower 2 may be 87-88m.

you can see this here: http://mtlurb.com/forums/showthread....017#post176017
__________________
Alarm Force is listed on the TSX
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 7:58 PM
MTLskyline's Avatar
MTLskyline MTLskyline is offline
The good old days are now
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,929
Thread title updated.
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 9:03 PM
Babylone Condos's Avatar
Babylone Condos Babylone Condos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your enthusiasm and interest in the BABYLONE project. I'm here to answer any questions you might have about the project.

As discussed above, BABYLONE will be located at 1500 boulevard René-Lévesque W., at the corner of rue Guy. The plan is currently for 331 units: lofts, 1-2 bedroom condos, and penthouses. There are two towers to the project, 25 and 37 stories high (80 and 120 meters each). The towers are connected by two skyways, which will be green public areas.

The hanging gardens are really the heart of the project, making it completely unique and quite bold in Montreal. We think that BABYLONE's overall architecture and design will fit well within the fabric of the city, but also form a fresh iteration of Montreal's distinct and vibrant atmosphere.

If you want more information and updates on the project, I would invite you to register online: babylonecondos.com

You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

I've added below some of the latest renderings of the project for your viewing pleasure. There are more from that set up on our Facebook page.

Thanks again!

The BABYLONE team





     
     
  #72  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 10:39 PM
leftimage leftimage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: MTL
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylone Condos View Post
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your enthusiasm and interest in the BABYLONE project. I'm here to answer any questions you might have about the project.

As discussed above, BABYLONE will be located at 1500 boulevard René-Lévesque W., at the corner of rue Guy. The plan is currently for 331 units: lofts, 1-2 bedroom condos, and penthouses. There are two towers to the project, 25 and 37 stories high (80 and 120 meters each). The towers are connected by two skyways, which will be green public areas.

The hanging gardens are really the heart of the project, making it completely unique and quite bold in Montreal. We think that BABYLONE's overall architecture and design will fit well within the fabric of the city, but also form a fresh iteration of Montreal's distinct and vibrant atmosphere.

If you want more information and updates on the project, I would invite you to register online: babylonecondos.com

You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

I've added below some of the latest renderings of the project for your viewing pleasure. There are more from that set up on our Facebook page.

Thanks again!

The BABYLONE team
Thanks for joining us ! It's nice to see promoters who stand by their product and go out of their ways to connect with parties of interest -- I'm surprised there aren't more project reps (representing themselves as such) in this forum.

I have a general question? What is the mood like for developers in Montreal RIGHT NOW? Do (slightly) declining condo prices and increased interest rates have much of an impact on larger-scale condo projects such as this one?

Anyhow I'm rooting for this project, looks nice !
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 3:43 AM
frenchcanadian3's Avatar
frenchcanadian3 frenchcanadian3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 67
I truly love this project. Montréal needs glass towers with style, and this is a great glass tower with style!
But two little questions for the project...
1.) Were the first rumors of the 40 stories true? if so, did it decline for assumption of lack of demand? Could it get back to 40 stories?
2.) When you mean "public" garden, do you mean that anyone can access it, or anyone in the building only?

... other weird thing, is it just me, but every render ever, not only for the babylone, has a BMW X6 in the picture when from street level?
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 3:54 AM
MTLskyline's Avatar
MTLskyline MTLskyline is offline
The good old days are now
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,929
Thank you for sharing this information with us!

I think this has the potential to be one of Montreal's nicest projects, provided glass curtain walls are used rather than spandrel/window walls like on Altitude Montreal.

Best of luck!
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 6:19 AM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 20,260
Great looking project! Love the glazing.
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 2:52 PM
Design-mind's Avatar
Design-mind Design-mind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,448
The terrace and rooftop gardens are a very nice touch. Nice to see something a bit different.
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 3:21 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 11,983
Nice project all around. Love the garden idea.

My only gripe is with it is the top of the 120m tower. It just end s like that, no spire, crown, or any aesthetic goodies? It seems to me that if you're trying to stand out in an already saturated market, you'd want your tower to not be like the other boxes they're building.

But again, I guess the roof gardens are what will make this project special.

Quote:
frenchcanadian3 1.) Were the first rumors of the 40 stories true? if so, did it decline for assumption of lack of demand? Could it get back to 40 stories?
There was no decline in height, just a logical decline in floor numbers. The limit for that lot has been and remains 120m. Thus, this project has always reached the height limit.
__________________
Alarm Force is listed on the TSX
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 9:35 PM
frenchcanadian3's Avatar
frenchcanadian3 frenchcanadian3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
There was no decline in height, just a logical decline in floor numbers. The limit for that lot has been and remains 120m. Thus, this project has always reached the height limit.
Ok, thanks for answering, the limit in Montréal confuses me quite a bit.

I am still on to my previous train of thought though... Why does every single building render use a BMW X6 as a model car?
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 11:31 PM
Babylone Condos's Avatar
Babylone Condos Babylone Condos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2
Quote:
My only gripe is with it is the top of the 120m tower. It just end s like that, no spire, crown, or any aesthetic goodies? It seems to me that if you're trying to stand out in an already saturated market, you'd want your tower to not be like the other boxes they're building.
Good question Rico. Our design choice not to include this kind of decoration at the top of the building was actually very conscious. I spoke with some of the architects behind the project and they confirmed that architectural elements like crowns or spires at the top of buildings were more common in the 90s, when the aesthetic fashion was based on the Greek column: the bottom, middle, and top of the building were made of up of different visual elements.

Nowadays, the trend is for a more modernist, contemporary approach to design. As you'll have noticed, the lines of Babylone's towers are very pure, and thanks to the curtain wall on all sides of the building, very few architectural elements disrupt these lines. The top section of the tower is harmonious with this aesthetic because its ends with a pure, straight line. Nothing grabs the attention specifically at the top, because the idea is that the building as a whole is meant to create the impression—like a kind of urban sculpture.

I hope this answers your question, and I'm sorry if maybe the aesthetics of the building aren't necessarily to your taste!
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 7:59 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 11,983
Well thank you very much! I'm pleased that you answered my question.

Hope this goes up soon, this part of the downtown core is god awful. Just sad, really. The city needs these towers to go up.
__________________
Alarm Force is listed on the TSX
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:10 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.