HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 6:26 PM

Smile Seattle⎜Emerald City Tower⎜82 Fl

Thanks to CrazyAboutCities on SSC.

A proposed Donald Trump tower for Seattle. There is supposedly still a search for a location but here are more details regarding the project:
http://www.alpertinternational.com/seattle.htm
http://www.djc.com/news/re/12001060.html

Renderings:

Last edited by Develop212; Dec 20, 2008 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 6:44 PM
JoeCooper

Fantastic! Great to see Seattle possibly get a new tallest after over 20 years! Not only that but the design on this one is striking as well!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 7:00 PM

I think it would be interesting to see Seattle with a new look.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 7:06 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Develop212 View Post
I think it would be interesting to see Seattle with a new look.
Not only that, but would also appear that this may be the tallest west of the Mississippi River if built!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 7:23 PM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

Looks good, it would be nice to see Seattle with a supertall.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 8:25 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

I like the idea. I hate the design.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 8:39 PM
JoeCooper

Out of all of Trumps projects that have not come into fruitation I do question why this one was recientlly announced...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 9:52 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Trump has had an eye on Seattle for a while. It was just recently put on the drawinng board again I guess...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 11:34 PM

We shall see...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 11:46 PM

The collision of Trump's ego and the Seattle process should be quite a show.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 12:16 AM

This is awesome!!!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 12:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Would be very interesting. They should combine it and make one, larger tower.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 2:58 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

That'd be nice. Except the FAA would kill it. That's why the Columbia Center is 935 ft. Because the FAA said, "umm.. we don't want it to be that tall. Make it shorter."

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 4:42 AM
Registered Luser

The FAA has no authority over building heights and can only issue recommendations as to whether proposed projects meet FAA guidelines or not. Local governments usually comply with FAA recommendations, but they are under no legal obligation to do so.

This is an interesting proposal, but isn't Trump in financial trouble?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 6:51 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
That'd be nice. Except the FAA would kill it. That's why the Columbia Center is 935 ft. Because the FAA said, "umm.. we don't want it to be that tall. Make it shorter."
The Columbia Center is at a high elevation, and at the south end of Downtown. Something northward or downhill could be taller even if the allowable height plane was the same.

Also, the developer is a company called Alpert. Funny how people go off on tangents without reading the article.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 7:43 AM
A before E

not too keen on the design, but with the way things are in the current economy, I will be shocked if this ever gets built...heck, they dont even have a site yet for it...one would think that would be their first step if they were really serious about this.

But we can only wait and see, would be nice if this turned out to be a good surprise for me, but no holding of the breath will be happening here.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 9:14 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

From the SLOG:
Quote:
A developer who said he hopes to partner with the Trump Organization of New York on a strikingly tall marquee two-tower condo project in downtown Seattle said he's in serious negotiations to purchase a site for it.
Spencer Alpert of Alpert International said the project would be built in phases, possibly starting in three to five years.

The first tower may rise to 82 stories, higher than Seattle's tallest building, the 76-story Columbia Center, and would include upscale offices and condos, retail and a private club, he said.

“We're able to build a real marquee (project) that would change the Seattle skyline — something that would stand out in the Seattle skyline, but improve on what exists today,” Alpert said.

In this economy, four-to-six story residential construction is barely inching forward; condo towers, the ones that haven't broken ground, are on hold; and new office buildings, depending on how many hundreds of thousands of square feet are freed by Washington Mutual's evacuation, aren't getting built any time soon. So this Trump building—tall, ambitious, and office oriented—is banana-dream pie in the sky.

Dominic Holden.
Well time will tell. It'd be nice to have a new tallest in Seattle. I would see this tower being developed on the block South of the Wells Fargo Tower, the block West of the Rainier Club [West of the 5th and Columbia site], the block West of the Washington Mutual Tower [not the WaMu Tower], or the King County Jail block. Not too many places I could see this tower going though, specially if they're trying to develop an entire block.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 1:27 AM

Wow this thing looks awesome and its about time for a new tallest west of the Missisippi river.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 2:51 AM
Mac User

I like the way that looks and I think it would be cool, but I seriously doubt it will be built anytime soon.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 2:58 AM
Earthling

As others have noted, it's along way from basic sketch to reality. Having said that, I like the general idea--it's simple and elegant. If the developer finds a location and funding(which is even more iffy at the moment), an experienced developer understands that for a building of this size, you want to get the ball rolling during economic times like these. Once a land purchase/lease happens, we're talking 2-3 years for all the entitlements of the specific proposal and perhaps another 3-4 years to complete an 82 floor structure. What you want to be looking at as a businessperson, is what you think economic conditions will be like in +/- 6 years--when the building will potentially be ready for tenants.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive