HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 2:02 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Please help me understand why you would reply to Chadillaccc with this?
I'm assuming that he was showing that growth is in fact slowing down not insignificantly when leaving out still stronger times from the second half of last year.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 2:40 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I'm assuming that he was showing that growth is in fact slowing down not insignificantly when leaving out still stronger times from the second half of last year.
Almost appears to be a petty response, I suspect if anyone else besides Chadillaccc had made the post that there wouldn't have been a response. Just my gut feelings.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 3:13 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Almost appears to be a petty response, I suspect if anyone else besides Chadillaccc had made the post that there wouldn't have been a response. Just my gut feelings.
He just completed Chad's post with YTD YYC stats which we usually post here instead of the "12 month end" stat, which is unpredictable since there are still 4 months left in 2015...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 4:13 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
He just completed Chad's post with YTD YYC stats which we usually post here instead of the "12 month end" stat, which is unpredictable since there are still 4 months left in 2015...
Yeah, okay.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big T View Post
The $149 is from Reykjavik to Europe. You have to add $99 for YUL/YYZ-Reykjavik, plus all the fees and surcharges typical of low cost airlines (bags, seat selection, etc.). And this is per direction, of course.

Still cheap, but not even close to either $99 or 149 (both of which I have seen advertised over the past few days) for a r/t to London or Paris. More like $500 all in, which is still a good 200 to 400 less than typical fares on existing carriers.
Not always worth the hassle, if you ask me. Found R/T 750$ tax in with TS for YUL-CDG next May.

So that's only 250$ more, but a non stop and 32-33 inches in seat pitch compared to WOW's 30-31 inch.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 5:06 PM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Quote:
^this.

And to make the YYC stats comparable to those of other airports. Otherwise it's bananas and oranges.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 5:09 PM

Quote:
It was a petty response sure, but Chad cherry picked the stat that made YYC look better and ignored the stat that we all usually post here.

Unfortunately two negatives don't equal a positive, but this is the Canada section after all, so no surprises here.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 5:12 PM
Suburbs Suck

YVR lands yet another airline although be it minor - National Airlines to Orlando.
Rumours for YVR include Fiji and China's Xiamen. Which I think would give us all 6 Chinese airlines and 2 of them North American exclusive.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 6:44 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
YVR lands yet another airline although be it minor - National Airlines to Orlando.
Rumours for YVR include Fiji and China's Xiamen. Which I think would give us all 6 Chinese airlines and 2 of them North American exclusive.
That's very cool. You guys are lucky to be the closest to Asian markets!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 7:25 PM
Suburbs Suck

Quote:
That's very cool. You guys are lucky to be the closest to Asian markets!
Yes location definitely helps. And you guys got the "French connection" with flights to countries no one else has.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 8:32 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Yes location definitely helps. And you guys got the "French connection" with flights to countries no one else has.
Honestly, I'd rather have flights to Asia (better economical importance) than to Algiers, Casablanca, Tunis, etc. They look good for the planespotters though!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 12:08 AM
Go Preds!

Quote:
Honestly, I'd rather have flights to Asia (better economical importance) than to Algiers, Casablanca, Tunis, etc. They look good for the planespotters though!
You know in a few years (minimum 10), Africa is going to be a hot market. It's by far the fastest growing continent in terms of population (currently 1.1B). With a growth rate of 13% annually, it won't be long till they surpass China and India population wise.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 3:14 AM
Give us a kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Not always worth the hassle, if you ask me. Found R/T 750$ tax in with TS for YUL-CDG next May.

So that's only 250$ more, but a non stop and 32-33 inches in seat pitch compared to WOW's 30-31 inch.
Fully agree. One of my friends just went to Paris for a long week end, 680 all in on TS.

I fly Montreal-Marseille fairly often, and outside of summer and Christmas peak I can usually find r/t fares in the 700-800 range fairly easily. Over the past few years BA has consistently been the best option (although connecting in heathrow is getting old). So all in all Wow is not looking too revolutionary.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 3:17 AM

BA is always a great flight. If you can get a good deal with them then you are lucky.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 5:43 AM
MTL♥

MHopefully this new PEK-YUL Will open doors to the Asian market for Montreal !
For those who dont know or don't care lol well I do cause I am of Portuguese decent ...Air transat is adding 4 weekly flights to Lisbon, Portugal in summer 2016! Very exciting ...and SATA international is continuing with their 1 weekly to Ponta Delgada in the Azores !. Air transat is also adding other destinations ... They're adding Zagreb and Pisa from YUL next summer ...5 weekly Lyon, 3 weekly London and 3 weekly Toulouse

http://www.airtransat.ca/en/News/Sea...gamme&tmpl=GEN

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Tunisair was rumoured to start YUL since 2006-2007, if my memory is correct. Syphax came and went. Loads were awful. Tunisair might fare better, that's if they ever start the damn route already!

Either way, These purely VFR routes don't bring any value to YUL. If Montreal wants to be a global player once again, it needs global destinations. We need service to places like PEK, NRT, HKG, PVG, a better network to the U.S. west coast - SEA and SAN come to mind, and also at least one or two South American destinations - BOG for example. (No, TS to Cartagena 1x weekly in the winter doesn't really cut it)

TUN, not so much.

Look at BOS and the influx of foreign carriers in the last few years. NRT, PEK, HKG, PVG, TLV, IST, DXB, PTY, MEX, etc. Talk about putting a city on the global map overnight!

Now granted YUL, with the addition of PEK, will have service to 4 of those in that list, but we need to continue and attract service to the others as well.
Here in Vancouver, it's somewhat the inverse of what you have at YUL.
A lot of destinations to China, Japan, S. Korea, Philippines, Australia, NZ, but nothing at all to South America, and only four stops to Europe (LHR, AMS, FRA, and CDG)
Admittedly, though, for a medium sized city of only 2.5m, we're doing ok, but we could do better if Ottawa eased up the bilaterals.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 2:29 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
A lot of destinations to China, Japan, S. Korea, Philippines, Australia, NZ, but nothing at all to South America, and only four stops to Europe (LHR, AMS, FRA, and CDG)
Admittedly, though, for a medium sized city of only 2.5m, we're doing ok, but we could do better if Ottawa eased up the bilaterals.
YVR does really well. YUL has Europe and Africa, Vancouver has Asia and YYZ has pretty much everything. The demographic characteristics of each city pretty much reflect this.

Last edited by SkahHigh; Oct 4, 2015 at 3:11 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 2:52 PM

Quote:
but we could do better if Ottawa eased up the bilaterals.
Considering Canada has an open skies agreement with both Europe and Brazil, i fail to see how Ottawa is restricting YVR's growth to those particular continents. Sure the U.A.E - Canada bilateral needs to be tweaked, but that is nor Europe nor South America we are talking about. EK is the only airline that I know of that wants access to YVR and is restricted due to the bilateral.

Quote:
YVR does really well. YUL has Europe and Africa, Vancouver has Asia and YYZ has pretty much everything. The demographic characteristics of each city pretty much reflects this.
Indeed. Each of the big 3 have their different strengths.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Oct 4, 2015 at 5:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 4:10 PM
Community Guy

Rumour/'chatter' of LH Cargo 777 for YEG....

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 6:09 PM

Wink

Quote:
There's MUC on LH too

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada