HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 3:33 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Birchett View Post
I just flew out of MEM last weekend to DFW and on to Denver. I was really impressed by DFW's new improvements and imagined if Memphis did a remodel like that.

I just wish they would get rid of those 80s looking bricks all together. But nice, nonetheless.
I don't mind the brick interior, I think the the concourses were built in 1975, but that doesn't necessarily matter, however the better introduction of natural light to those concourses will improve the look of the brick tremendously.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 2:44 AM

Read some about the Bass Pro tour they put on this last week. The hotel is back up to 100 rooms and the elevators to the top will surrounded by a gator habitat at the base. It will house a Ducks Unlimited Waterfowling Museum. What I'm confused about is the Uncle Buck's restaurant that will have the 18 lane bowling alley the one that they say will go up top? I don't see how with the bowling, must be another. They have a couple of other names at their stores with one being Hemmingway's at Springfield.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 8:48 AM

just a curious thought. it would be interesting to know the amount of man hours put into the pyramid building since its initial inception? probably would be more than those of the greatest pyramid at gaza. add in the pr, the extra site preparation, and all peripheral work, i would bet it would be the most expensive building in the city. regardless of the reception it gets from memphians, good or bad, it surely should not require directions to the lost traveler.

i went down there the other night t see the progress of it and the st. jude tower, and a few other locations. just couldn't understand why profressional design people could not come up w/a pleasing and unobtrusive look. i fail to understand why the entrances couldn't have been made of glass or aluminum. the logs just are beyond thought. i ended up completely missing my chance to see the new tower. i was planning on getting a close-up of the gold dome and some different shots of the tower connection, as it seems to get a great deal of discussion by friends. there is talk by some of the staff that a building will be built over the street, after the completion of the tower. too, there is supposedly about another half a billion dollars remaining on construction over the next four years.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
just a curious thought. it would be interesting to know the amount of man hours put into the pyramid building since its initial inception? probably would be more than those of the greatest pyramid at gaza. add in the pr, the extra site preparation, and all peripheral work, i would bet it would be the most expensive building in the city. regardless of the reception it gets from memphians, good or bad, it surely should not require directions to the lost traveler.

i went down there the other night t see the progress of it and the st. jude tower, and a few other locations. just couldn't understand why profressional design people could not come up w/a pleasing and unobtrusive look. i fail to understand why the entrances couldn't have been made of glass or aluminum. the logs just are beyond thought. i ended up completely missing my chance to see the new tower. i was planning on getting a close-up of the gold dome and some different shots of the tower connection, as it seems to get a great deal of discussion by friends. there is talk by some of the staff that a building will be built over the street, after the completion of the tower. too, there is supposedly about another half a billion dollars remaining on construction over the next four years.
They probably work about the average any job does nowadays due to these labor laws they have. Back in the ancient days, they would work 7 days a week, day and night until it was time to eat and go to bed. Now they end a day before the sun goes down. That's why it now takes much longer to complete a project than in the past.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 12:41 AM

Memphis Islamic Center plans $6.5M expansion
Memphis Biz Journal

Quote:
The three-phase, 63,144-square-foot project will eventually include an indoor gym, exercise rooms, classrooms, a daycare area, a library and more worship space
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...ife-build.html

Pickering Firm Inc.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:12 AM

i believe it is bad business practice to place a low income housing unit right in the midst of a development w/ this much capital investment. otjrer signs are never put up for the public to view, nor do the sites that have announcements really give information or descriptions of what the project will be. it is a bit like putting a bouquet of roses in a "shit house." this is one of the comments made regarding the greenlaw apts. that kind of planning is a big turn-off to the average to uppper income folk. citizens ask over and over for the businesses that they would like to have in their neighborhoods, yet they are continually find they are dismissed by the powers that be.

one other comment about some of the articles i read this afternoon has to do w/ the 25-45 or 50% requirement of new businesses (including electroux, etc.) giving minority businesses of women and ethic groups part of the new firms business in construction, etc. i have yet to see anyone representing the royal phoenix group or the indigo group explain why they are 3 and 4 years holding up projects already approved for construction. to me, this is one of several issues that rise to the top, when progress is attempted on public work and public-private projects. delays getting captial, piece-milling, and the like is exactly why venture capitalists, investment groups, and developers are weary of these widely applicable restrictions. too, i agree w/ one poster, who stated that memphis made itself look cheap, when reporters and newspapers get on their bully pulpits to tell memphians and anybody else who will listen how poor memphis finds itself all the time. if not poor, then the city looks cheap,etc. personally, i don't think memphis is necessarily cheap, because it usually has huge pricetags of public works waterfront, the forum, the baseball stadium, and others. memphis shouldn't bare all the blame, because the rest of the state seems more concerned about what goes on in memphis than memphians. that covers projects, funding, schools, population, etc. etc.

Last edited by kingchef; Feb 25, 2014 at 8:36 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 9:31 PM

I Agree

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 10:21 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
too, i agree w/ one poster, who stated that memphis made itself look cheap, when reporters and newspapers get on their bully pulpits to tell memphians and anybody else who will listen how poor memphis finds itself all the time. if not poor, then the city looks cheap,etc. personally, i don't think memphis is necessarily cheap, because it usually has huge pricetags of public works waterfront, the forum, the baseball stadium, and others. memphis shouldn't bare all the blame, because the rest of the state seems more concerned about what goes on in memphis than memphians. that covers projects, funding, schools, population, etc. etc.
The particular issue of Memphis feeling or looking cheap is in direct correlation to those high price tags that you mentioned which have accompanied the public works projects. Build it and they'll come...yes, but you have to question what one needs to build. Promoting infrastructure and the cohesive development of neighborhoods would put various sections of Memphis years ahead of their current state.

It is also directly connected to the State's concern with the financial and educational positions that Memphis is currently in. In most cases, private developers not only develop their own individual properties, but somewhat unknowingly develop entire blocks that form small neighborhoods. While there might be one development company that controls the rights to property, it's actually developed by multiple people. The commercial/retail world generally takes not of this and then proceeds to do their own thing in that neighborhood as do other developers. Many developers aren't worried about the financial situation of actually building their project, they're worried about not selling units and facing their building sitting among buildings that are only alive from 8AM-5PM (downtown Memphis).

From what we've discussed in the past, we all know that the private sector isn't necessarily going to spend money downtown, however in most situations it takes the public sector or in many situations the city government itself to step forward and initiate a boom. Nashville is a perfect example of this. This is the example where the city needs to be proactive in finding ways to bring money into downtown. The Forum helps, but honestly Beale Street Landing and Autozone Park (I love AZP, the design, atmosphere, etc.) are perfect examples of a waste of money, IMO. I'm currently not, nor never will be convinced that Beale Street Landing will generate any type of economic impact that will remotely offset the roughly $50 MIL that it took to construct it.

The city should focus on maximizing the use of the Forum (once major concert each month isn't going to cut it), raising the amount of hotel nights that are needed in downtown (new convention center), and offering tax incentives to developers and employers to move jobs downtown. That is the only way that downtown will stop looking "cheap".

The roughly $50 MIL that has been spent on Beale Street Landing could have gone a long way toward all three of those.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 11:34 PM

i agree w/ most of your argument. i do take exception to downtown looks cheap. i used the word that was used in the first argument by ark, i believe, and i may have misunderstood, however, i don't think the city as a whole appears cheap, but i think there is not enough leadership and developers w/ the "eye". the riverfront and walkway is nice, but where is the 48 something million dollars visually. really, who can see it, until you get right up on the focus, which i assume is the cafe. i look around at all of the surface parking lots and all of the areas that are open, and i wonder "why"? the same designs in building apts, the same look in strip businesses, and so. the cookie cutter business physical plant, just as the cookie cutter house plans all over america. i guess i really was excited to see the proposed development involving the victorian section of midtown. i mean this as a compliment, which is not to be taken that no one else but a queen could do it, but i think the milikin institute, according to the statement of elements for the growing city, requires the inclusion of a creative class of gays. that is what i think needs to happen to downtown.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 4:57 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Here it is, everyone.

100 North Main to become apartments, hotel in $100M redevelopment

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...nts-hotel.html

Quote:
The owners of the 100 N. Main office tower in Downtown Memphis plan to spend $100 million turning the building into apartments and a hotel.

The ownership group's managing member, Isaac Thomas, said the 20-30 tenants have until June 1 to vacate the 436,280-square-foot building so construction can begin this year on 250 apartment units and a 170-room hotel.

Thomas said he expects to line up a brand to operate the hotel, which will be on floors nine through 19, in the next two weeks. The hotel will also reopen and operate the building's rooftop restaurant.
Also, I've been compiling my recent photos and should have a new thread soon. Probably want to go out for a few more this weekend, first.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 5:21 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Also, I asked the business journal via twitter if they'd have any renderings or information soon regarding changes to the building's exterior- they said they'll have that soon.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 5:36 PM

Wow. I don't think any of us saw that one coming.

Hopefully, the finished product will be worth the money being spent and encourage some more capital investments down the road for downtown.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 7:44 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
Wow. I don't think any of us saw that one coming.

Hopefully, the finished product will be worth the money being spent and encourage some more capital investments down the road for downtown.
Certainly not to this extent. I figured the majority of 100 N. Main's redevelopment would be in the form of commercial space, but this is really good. The addition of residential and hotel space at this point and time will be extremely beneficial to downtown's economy. Hopefully this will lead to more retail as well.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 7:48 PM

This is great news! I too wonder if the exterior will be changed at all — it could certainly use an upgrade.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 8:00 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSRJ View Post
This is great news! I too wonder if the exterior will be changed at all — it could certainly use an upgrade.
It depends. They'll have to stay within the Downtown Memphis Commission's Main Street Design Guidelines to a certain height. After that they'll also have to stay with Memphis Landmarks Commission's design guidelines for historic districts, which generally will coincide within the DMC's, however I doubt there will be much at the base that will change.

As far as a re-cladding, if the developers are still pursuing having the tower placed on the NRHP (historic tax credits), then they won't be able to jeopardize the integrity of the architecture. If they only want to have the revolving restaurant at the top placed on the NRHP, then they'll be able to change certain aspects about the tower if they want as long as they stay within the DMC's guidelines, which obviously aren't strict depending on how much money you want to throw around (Bass Pro and the Pyramid's design changes).

Last edited by arkitekte; Feb 28, 2014 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 11:33 PM

Update on the exterior from the Commercial Appeal:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...main-building/

Quote:
Everything inside is going to change with an updated modern design. But because the project will seek historic tax credits, the exterior design of the Mid-Century Modern building cannot be altered.

“Obviously, it will look much better with a new paint job and LED lights,” Thomas said.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 1:56 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Here are a few more articles from the MBJ. Interesting stuff all around. Sorry if one of these has already been posted.

100 N. Main developer faces challenges

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...challenge.html

Quote:
A proposed hotel at 100 N. Main would be a strong project for Downtown, but the combination residential and hotel development has been a nut Memphis developers haven’t been able to crack just yet.
As first reported in MBJ, a development group operating as One Hundred North Main LLC and led by Isaac Thomas is planning to invest $100 million to convert the office building into 266 apartments and a 171-room hotel.
Quote:
Joey Hagan, a principal with Architecture Inc., which has been named the project’s architect, said the model of a hotel and apartments has been successful in other markets because the hotel’s amenities can be used by residents. Hagan said the closest Memphis came to the concept was Number One Beale, which entered the first stages of development in 2005, but was put on hold in 2008 during the recession.
Plans call for the 9th through 17th floors of 100 N. Main to be hotel rooms, with the 18th through 36th floors being residential. The first eight floors include parking, executive office suites, mechanical rooms, hotel services and the lobby. The roof of the building, a 46,000-square-foot plate, will have a swimming pool, an outdoor plaza, green spaces and a lounge. And the 5,600-square-foot revolving restaurant on the top floor will be revived.
Quote:
“The hotel would have to be something unique from what Downtown already offers — it has to have a 'wow' effect for the hotel,” Pinkowski said. “Part of the challenge with 100 N. Main is the size of the building. It’ll need a strong brand and the physical facility will have to be different.”

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 2:00 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Does Downtown need apartments in 100 N. Main?

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/b...ntown-mem.html

Quote:
After months of working behind the scenes, Isaac Thomas and his partners are pulling the trigger on a $100 million redevelopment of 100 N. Main, as I reported today.
But I've had a few people ask me lately if Downtown Memphis can sustain another complex, considering all of the apartment projects that are either under construction or in the works. Especially one with 266 units on top of a 171-room hotel.
The quick answer? Downtown needs apartments. Residential occupancy has risen 17.7 percent to 23,794 in 2013 from 20,212 in 2000, according to the Downtown Memphis Commission, giving the city core an occupancy rate last year of 95 percent.
By the end of this year, Downtown's population is projected to rise to 24,293, according to a report The Nielsen Co. prepared for the Downtown Memphis Commission in 2014.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 8:50 PM

The blighted Raleigh Springs Mall is in the early stages of being revitalized
Memphis Flyer

Quote:
The Raleigh Springs Urban Renewal plan, if approved by the Memphis City Council, would turn the lot into a multi-use property with coexisting public and retail space. The plan features a recreational lake and public skate park, as well as a walking trail. It also calls for the relocation of the Raleigh branch library and the Old Allen Road traffic precinct into the property. Both projects have funds set aside for that purpose.
http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/...nt?oid=3620510

Photo: Memphis Flyer

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
The blighted Raleigh Springs Mall is in the early stages of being revitalized
Memphis Flyer

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/...nt?oid=3620510

Photo: Memphis Flyer
Hope to see it revitalized. As a kid that grew up between it and Covington Pike, I remember it as the mall that had 4 major anchors, unlike any other in town. It lacked a Carousel or Ice Rink or a Gap, so I guess it was flawed. The MoM had Thalhimer's store and a Service Merchandise in the beginning though, so I guess those could be anchor tenants.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations