HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 4:43 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Y'know, I never thought I'd look at Kelowna as a viable option to live after leaving it so many years ago, but I've got to say, Kelowna looks more and more appealing as time goes on.

I had a pretty good hate-on for that town when I left (as many often do when it comes to their hometown), but Kelowna has really surprised me these past few years. It feels like a vibrant, and even more importantly, vital city in BC. I've never seen Kelowna so optimistic before. It's been really cool to witness.
I really believe the places to look at in the future are not your major cities. Places like Kelowna, Kamloops, Nanaimo,Vernon, Courtney and Parksville as well as other areas that are regional centers. Have a much better future than most might think. I agree with your assessment. I think it is a much more logical choice than some of the larger cities you mentioned before. Just my opinion of course.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 4:55 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
On the flip side, there are a lot of baby boomers in Vancouver who own million dollar "shacks". There is a awful lot of real estate that will be or has been passed down. For a lot of people here, there is a pretty bright economic future.
I agree completely. Vancouver is becoming a major world city so it faces some major world problems. Not everyone is going to be happy with progress and change. For the one person whom cannot afford or does not like the change.
They will move, I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavours.

However, many more will come in their place. For example, many asian cities are so massive, places like Hong Kong or Taipei people are used to living in what a Canadian would find to be a small confined place.

I tend to see a more negative view on the relationship with Vancouver on this site. Many for good reasons, however many people have done very well and been very successful in the city. Perhaps more people than we can appreciate whom might just be too busy to place an opinion about the positive outlook and bright future it possesses.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:17 AM
See ya down under, mates

Last edited by Pinion; Apr 18, 2018 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:15 AM

3 of my 4 grandparents were born in Vancouver (the 4th n Saskatchewan), 2 of my great grandparents were born in Vancouver.

My extended family and I are one of the rare ones I guess.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Y'know, I never thought I'd look at Kelowna as a viable option to live after leaving it so many years ago, but I've got to say, Kelowna looks more and more appealing as time goes on.

I had a pretty good hate-on for that town when I left (as many often do when it comes to their hometown), but Kelowna has really surprised me these past few years. It feels like a vibrant, and even more importantly, vital city in BC. I've never seen Kelowna so optimistic before. It's been really cool to witness.
Kelowna is nice but it doesn't offer much in the form of jobs, and for some fields it offers nothing. Depending on what you do it may simply not be a option. The infrastructure is not too good either but with current population growth it should be fine for a few more decades. Also the prices are inflated as well. Not sure when was the last time you looked at prices for anything decent in Kelowna.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:19 PM
See ya down under, mates

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:23 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:

Same for me with Vernon 20 years ago. Now I can't wait to move back to the area & start my little semi-retirement property management business. Kelowna has changed a lot, I wouldn't call it vital from a provincial perspective but it's definitely a city that people are noticing more & more

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Your observations are way off reality. As a German-Canadian who was born and somewhat bred here I rarely run into anyone who was here in the 80s, and Germans are a tiny part of Vancouver demographics (~9% and shrinking). British and other commonwealth immigrants, sure, Americans, and lots of Ontarians.

Like... 3rd generation Vancouverites, really? They barely exist in the adult population. When my mom moved here in 1946 it was a small, smoggy logging town.

Never ceases to amaze me how insecure people get about the idea that some people left their home town for greener pastures.
I've been here a year and a half, and have yet to meet anyone else in my circle of colleagues and friends that's from Ontario. A few that trained in Ontario, but no one originally from there. Most people that are in B.C. either came here directly, moved from another Western province, or have been here since birth. Not sure if that's true if I was to look at just just caucasian people, but I dont see why that's an important distinction to make in the first place.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 6:56 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
I've been here a year and a half, and have yet to meet anyone else in my circle of colleagues and friends that's from Ontario. A few that trained in Ontario, but no one originally from there. Most people that are in B.C. either came here directly, moved from another Western province, or have been here since birth. Not sure if that's true if I was to look at just just caucasian people, but I dont see why that's an important distinction to make in the first place.
People there must be conflating migrants from the prairies with all of Canada. Lots of people in the prairies dream about moving to BC, while virtually none of them "dream" about moving to southern Ontario--I encountered this scenario (and the lack of one for Ontario) all the time during my tenure in Winnipeg--but Vancouver and BC in general aren't really on the radar here. It's too remote and not appealing enough to up sticks (though if this summer's weather were actually the norm for BC and Ontario then you probably really would see BC turn into a compelling destination).

Amusing that some forumers claim that it's "Vancouver or bust," when that's arguably more true of the island of southern Ontario. It's a cliche, but it's no less true for that: Canada doesn't have a California; Canada's California is California.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
People there must be conflating migrants from the prairies with all of Canada. Lots of people in the prairies dream about moving to BC, while virtually none of them "dream" about moving to southern Ontario--I encountered this scenario (and the lack of one for Ontario) all the time during my tenure in Winnipeg--but Vancouver and BC in general aren't really on the radar here. It's too remote and not appealing enough to up sticks (though if this summer's weather were actually the norm for BC and Ontario then you probably really would see BC turn into a compelling destination).

Amusing that some forumers claim that it's "Vancouver or bust," when that's arguably more true of the island of southern Ontario. It's a cliche, but it's no less true for that: Canada doesn't have a California; Canada's California is California.
That's in line with my own observations as well. Plenty of people from Saskatchewan and Alberta here in B.C. Not many from Ontario.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:18 AM

I've met far more Ontarian millennials here than I have Albertan and saskatchewan.

In fact, I was born in kelowna but my parents were raised in metro Vancouver, my grand parents were born in eastern Ontario and moved to Vancouver in the 70s.

My experience is completely the opposite of the most of you.
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:24 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Kelowna is nice but it doesn't offer much in the form of jobs, and for some fields it offers nothing. Depending on what you do it may simply not be a option. The infrastructure is not too good either but with current population growth it should be fine for a few more decades. Also the prices are inflated as well. Not sure when was the last time you looked at prices for anything decent in Kelowna.
I don't think I'd move to Kelowna in the future. Retirement, maybe. My comment was more of me just musing on how far Kelowna has come since the 1990s, and how, if the right opportunity arose, I wouldn't immediately shoot it down.

I was just in Kelowna for a better part of a month, and yeah, the prices there aren't great. The amount of people (families) that have moved there from Metro Vancouver is pretty apparent. Lots of people cashing out in Vancouver, and moving to the Okanagan or Vancouver Island.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
I've met far more Ontarian millennials here than I have Albertan and saskatchewan.

In fact, I was born in kelowna but my parents were raised in metro Vancouver, my grand parents were born in eastern Ontario and moved to Vancouver in the 70s.

Surely you don't consider yourself an Ontario transplant?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:54 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post

You're kind of proving our point. You're a 2nd/3rd generation British Columbian, not an Ontario migrant.

Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 6:05 PM
See ya down under, mates

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 7:20 PM

Of the people I know who've left here I'd say well over 50% of them have gone to BC. Montreal, Toronto, and Calgary make up the vast majority of the other 50%.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 7:53 PM

Growing up in Vancouver I certainly knew many many more of my friends parents who were Ontario transplants than Sask or Alberta.

Things have changed now but in the 70s BC was booming like Alberta was last decade and saw tons of Ont --> BC migration.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 9:28 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Of the people I know who've left here I'd say well over 50% of them have gone to BC. Montreal, Toronto, and Calgary make up the vast majority of the other 50%.
When I graduated high school in the early 90's in the Okanagan, a number of friends went to Vancouver, some went to other cites but the majority went to Calgary. It was literally the place to go. It probably still is to a large degree, but a lot of friends who did move there in their late teens or early 20's have since gone to university, developed professional skills, bought homes, gotten married and had kids, are moving back to the Okanagan, as they're able to get good jobs, closer to family, arguably a better place to raise kids etc. so it seems that the trend is to leave in your 20's and go back in your 40's

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Surely you don't consider yourself an Ontario transplant?
No but I consider my family to be Ontario transplants rather than from the prairies.

Also you missed the part I said I know more millennial fron Ontario than from Alberta here. I'm only 24. My social groups are young.
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Do you still live in Vancouver?

Of course there are some multi-generational residents.
I have not lived in Canada for 4 years now, but I still have a mailing address in Vancouver.

Most of my extended family still lives in the Vancouver area, only my parents have left (retired on the lake in the Cariboo).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada