HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
this is Portland Oregon and if history repeats its self look for a downturn in the economy in the next 2 or so years. nothing like an 8% unemployment rate to spoil a party
There was a great recession and we still added population faster than national average. You are sticking your head in the sand to long term trends. Not only is the area beautiful, we have water. People are coming.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
There was a great recession and we still added population faster than national average. You are sticking your head in the sand to long term trends. Not only is the area beautiful, we have water. People are coming.
sure we added more uneducated, unskilled workers hooray!!
Im done with this. The economy here still isnt robust. you should be a politician

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
sure we added more uneducated, unskilled workers hooray!!
Im done with this. The economy here still isnt robust. you should be a politician
You value people greatly, I see. Wyoming might be more congruent with your mindset.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
You value people greatly, I see. Wyoming might be more congruent with your mindset.
Portland is my home, Ive lived here for 50 years and 6 on the East Coast.

How many condo's or apartments do you plan on developing? and how many at little or no cost to the taxpayer or renter/buyer?

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Portland is my home, Ive lived here for 50 years and 6 on the East Coast.

How many condo's or apartments do you plan on developing? and how many at little or no cost to the taxpayer or renter/buyer?
How much farm amd wilderness do you plan to bulldoze to make room for the people that are coming anyway if we dont build in the city? How do you plan to pay for the inevitable shortfall of tax funds due to sprawl? Seniority of residence doesn't mean you know what's best.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:06 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
How much farm amd wilderness do you plan to bulldoze to make room for the people that are coming anyway if we dont build in the city? How do you plan to pay for the inevitable shortfall of tax funds due to sprawl? Seniority of residence doesn't mean you know what's best.
No one is suggesting a moratorium on building. No one.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:10 AM

Quote:
I wont be bulldozing anything. I really dont need to. The sky isnt falling.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
No one is suggesting a moratorium on building. No one.
I'm suggesting we find a way to give NIMBYs less clout politically or we will get sprawl even with our current rate of building. We aren't sllowing ENOUGH with all our regulation and hand wringing.

You keep saying that density will happen anyway, even if we don't build. I call that bad planning. It's what's happening in SF. It forces sprawl when we don't provide housing density in the city.

We are moving too slow. It's great we are building, but it's making people complacent to the dangers of giving in to NIMBYs too much.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:12 AM

PDX--you can stop with the insults

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:13 AM

Quote:
I wont be bulldozing anything. I really dont need to. The sky isnt falling.
A very convenient position as the bulldozing will happen anyway if you keep opposing density. You know this. You just have to lie by omission to get your way when espousing your political points. We need to be building faster in the city. It's homeowners who don't want a shadow or think patking is a right or think transit is for poors who are in opposition to density.

They are DE FACTO as a result of their stance FOR sprawl and against the density necessary for transit to work.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:14 AM

Quote:
I'm suggesting we find a way to give NIMBYs less clout politically or we will get sprawl even with our current rate of building. We aren't sllowing ENOUGH with all our regulation and hand wringing.

You keep saying that density will happen anyway, even if we don't build. I call that bad planning. It's what's happening in SF. It forces sprawl when we don't provide housing density in the city.

We are moving too slow. It's great we are building, but it's making people complacent to the dangers of giving in to NIMBYs too much.
get out and do something about it instead of shouting out on an internet board

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:14 AM

Quote:
PDX--you can stop with the insults
Which insults? I'm stating opposition to political blocs. Opinion. Sorry if my opinion offends, but that's not reason to be censored.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:20 AM

Quote:
get out and do something about it instead of shouting out on an internet board
I can share my opinion here if I like. Again, we are moving too slowly to densify the city and too slowly to add transit.

We are going to fall to the american god of sprawl if we don't get rid of the complacency I've seen from members of this board. I hope you all arent in power, but i suspect some of the reason we have a shortage is because too many ossified bureaucrats agree with you.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:22 AM

Quote:
I can share my opinion here if I like. Again, we are moving too slowly to densify the city and too slowly to add transit.

We are going to fall to the american god of sprawl if we don't get rid of the complacency I've seen from members of this board. I hope you all arent in power, but i suspect some of the reason we have a shortage is because too many ossified bureaucrats agree with you.
Well there's always New York or Seattle

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:26 AM

Quote:

opinions are like---- everybody has one. Tell us what YOU are doing to increase density? Im just a bystander as is most everybody else on this board. What I want and what happens are 2 different things. Wheres our new 700 footers? Probably not in my life time

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Well there's always New York or Seattle
Nah. I'm staying here and advocating for my cause. Hug fellow Portland comrade.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:28 AM

Quote:
opinions are like---- everybody has one. Tell us what YOU are doing to increase density? Im just a bystander as is most everybody else on this board. What I want and what happens are 2 different things. Wheres our new 700 footers? Probably not in my life time
I fight for developments while criticizing planners and encouraging them to stop imposing parking minimums. Whenever I see a development that looks weird, i comment. Always in favor of more stock, but not in favor of artificial open space or parking. I e-mail state snd local representatives regularly. I feel I am sharing my opinion in a constructive manner. You seem to just be whining.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 2:04 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
You keep saying that density will happen anyway, even if we don't build.
Quote the text where I said anything about not building more housing. I said no such thing.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 2:06 AM

Quote:
I fight for developments while criticizing planners and encouraging them to stop imposing parking minimums. Whenever I see a development that looks weird, i comment. Always in favor of more stock, but not in favor of artificial open space or parking. I e-mail state snd local representatives regularly. I feel I am sharing my opinion in a constructive manner. You seem to just be whining.
actually Im really not complaining. Portland seems to be doing alright at this point in time.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Quote the text where I said anything about not building more housing. I said no such thing.
Well, your talking points align that way. You keep saying we're doing enough. That's not true. The reality is we are still stifled by single family homeowners and land squatters.

It is putting unnecessary pressure on the UGB.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues