HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
It sounds like it might be that financial company that was looking at Windsor a while ago.
Actually if you remember they released details about that specific company at the Mayor's state of the city address. That mystery company KM&T was bringing a grand total of 2 people to Windsor. Woohoo.

You can see proof here, this video was taken after the state of the city address. It is an interview with a KM&T exec.

Video Link

I've slowly grown more skeptical of the mayor over the years and I don't hold my breath anymore when he announces something because he tends to announce a lot of things, but not everything comes to fruition. I'll believe it when I see it..

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 5:12 PM

No, I'm not talking about that company, I'm talking about a major international financial company that was thinking about moving it's headquarters to Windsor, and bring with it a substantial amount of jobs. There was talk of lots of office space that would be needed if they were to come here. I think this is the company the mayor is speaking of. They had taken out ads in many Canadian cities to see what talent they could attract here. These are the jobs we need, and I think the mayor is doing a fantastic job of trying to attract new investment to our city, which is not an easy task. Who can you name that has worked harder to bring jobs to this city ever? No one has, and I've been following city developments for over 30 years. We'd be fucked without Edie, royally!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 6:00 PM

Quote:

No, I'm not talking about that company, I'm talking about a major international financial company that was thinking about moving it's headquarters to Windsor, and bring with it a substantial amount of jobs.
I'm not kidding but KM&T was that company you're thinking about.. I'm serious. Also it was never advertised as bringing a substantial amount of jobs, but instead 'good paying jobs'. They brought 2 good paying jobs.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 6:08 PM

I know there were two different financial firms that were mentioned as being interested in coming to Windsor, I think they were contemplating moving out of Toronto, so then maybe this is what the mayor is alluding to. Hopefully we find out soon, and hopefully there are substantial jobs coming with it!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 2:29 AM

I'm confused by this too - I thought it was a company that required a decent amount of office space. Eddie has done more for the city than the past 4 mayors combined. At least he's out there trying and doing everything he can.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 4:30 PM

Biz X article on utility rate hikes and faux tax freeze.

A good article written on page 8 by Alan Halberstadt on the status of the recent utility rate hikes and the illusion of the tax freeze.

http://www.bizxmagazine.com/issues/July-August-2012/

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 6:05 PM

Just walked by the old Tureks Camera Shop, and they had put up a new sign for what's going in there now, Sushi One Express. Hopefully they serve good sushi, because I love having lots of options for lunch. Downtown has lots of sushi places to choose from now, which is great.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Just walked by the old Tureks Camera Shop, and they had put up a new sign for what's going in there now, Sushi One Express. Hopefully they serve good sushi, because I love having lots of options for lunch. Downtown has lots of sushi places to choose from now, which is great.
How many sushi places are downtown within a 4-5 block radius now? There's Oishi, Iguana, California Sushi and now this place. I'm probably forgetting a sushi place too.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
How many sushi places are downtown within a 4-5 block radius now? There's Oishi, Iguana, California Sushi and now this place. I'm probably forgetting a sushi place too.
I thought the same thing, but most places are busy and there seems to be a strong demand. Take Sushi California, they just opened up a new downtown sushi Grill below White Star Lounge, and Hikari is doing well also. I think that this new place is going to cater to the quick lunch crowd, going by their name, so that might set them apart from the other sushi places in the core.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 8:46 PM

I grew up in windsor...west end.. I hate this city. it seems to get worse and worse every year. Im not replying to anything... just sayin

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 4:47 PM

Lots of news involving the university lately - the downtown properties have officially changed hands over to the U, the engineering building is ready to open, many construction projects are planned over the next two years, and now they're talking about permanently closing Sunset Aveand converting it to a pedestrian walkway. This is a real exciting time for the school, there's a sense that it's on the verge of a big growth spurt.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Lots of news involving the university lately - the downtown properties have officially changed hands over to the U, the engineering building is ready to open, many construction projects are planned over the next two years, and now they're talking about permanently closing Sunset Aveand converting it to a pedestrian walkway. This is a real exciting time for the school, there's a sense that it's on the verge of a big growth spurt.
I agree, I really think that all these changes that the U is making will really make a huge difference the quality of education as well as the overall experience to be had. It is no longer Last Chance U, and it's reputation is starting to reflect that. It's great to see the school do well and have a plan for growth and expansion.

I also love the fact that the main campus is getting the upgrades it so badly needs as well as the creation of the downtown campus. These investments will completely change the U and the city core in a big way. This makes me very happy because I love my city and really want to see it grow and prosper in the coming years.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 8:27 PM

Many are still wondering if the city is going to come up with some sort of a shuttle bus facilitating travel between the main campus and downtown satellite campus. It's too bad the student body voted down the potential U-Pass idea.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 10:17 PM

It is too bad they voted it down, it would have made it so much easier for students to go back and forth between campuses, and improved the overall bus service to the whole city. Another lost opportunity, unfortunately.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 3:08 AM

Quote:
It is too bad they voted it down, it would have made it so much easier for students to go back and forth between campuses, and improved the overall bus service to the whole city. Another lost opportunity, unfortunately.
I dont blame the students though (I am one of them that voted it down) all students would have to play for the Upass even if they never used it. the lack of an opt out is what killed it. I think that if Transit and the City are really serious about fixing public transit in windsor then starting to lay rails from the University to the Downtown for LTR or streetcars would be a step in the right direction. But fixing transit would involve having people chose not to drive in the Auto Capital, Good luck

Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 6:07 PM

A lot of the students come from Tecumseh, LaSalle, and Amherstburg. These students would have no use for the bus pass and since there was no opt-out option they voted it down....wasn't a surprise at all. Until we get a regional transit system I don't think it'll ever be accepted.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
A lot of the students come from Tecumseh, LaSalle, and Amherstburg. These students would have no use for the bus pass and since there was no opt-out option they voted it down....wasn't a surprise at all. Until we get a regional transit system I don't think it'll ever be accepted.
No, it wasn't a surprise, but it's obviously the boost Transit Windsor thinks they need.

Regarding regional transit in this area it is sorely needed. I don't know why it doesn't exist but I do know Tecumseh and Windsor didn't see eye to eye on it and so Tecumseh has it's little bus to nowhere. I think now maybe the Tecumseh bus might link up with Transit Windsor at some sort of location but you have no option of using any transfer of any sort I'd imagine.

Last edited by Symz; Sep 3, 2012 at 10:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I think that if the area really wants to get moving, regional transit is a must, sadly it takes almost an hour in peak time to get from forest glad downtown on city buses. to move from Lasalle or Tecumseh to downtown Windsor the idea of laying down rails for an LRT or very small commuter rail service should be looked at

Old Posted Sep 3, 2012, 2:52 AM

The Tecumseh bus does link up at Tecumseh Mall, however I don't you're able to transfer from one onto a city bus or vice versa.

I really don't understand what the holdup is on their end, as far as even implementing better service in the city. They've had this master plan for years now, but yet there never seems to be any indication of even putting bits of it into work (aside from the new downtown terminal). Have yet to see much in regards to realigning some routes which is needed in some areas. They were also supposed to have the automatic voiceover that calls out the next stop (which if I recall from an article years ago, was mandatory as part of the Ontarios with Disabilities Act from a few years ago). I do appreciate new buses like everyone else does, and the new fareboxes are an improvement. It just irks me that while transit seems to be a sore point for many people, why it takes a snails pace for them to change anything.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2012, 4:39 AM

The real issue here is that the province needs to force the annexation of Tecumseh and LaSalle into Windsor. They've consolidated municipalities everywhere else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario