HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 8:30 PM

55 Main Street West - Hamilton Court House

This courthouse, former library building on the east of City Hall in front of the Football Hall of Fame is a absolute gem. It at times it seems to be a bit forgotten by Hamiltonians - maybe if Main Street traffic were to slow down or stop, more people would appreciate the beauty and incredible architecture of this building. I remember as a kid seeing its interior, it was then The Public Library - Central Branch - Two marble staircases on each side of the main doors, grandiose entrance - outstanding!

Does anyone have input on what is taking place on with the exterior of this building and for how much longer?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 9:23 PM
Ham-burgher

It is an under-appreciated building. I believe it was saved from being demolished (?) but I don't know the whole story.

Isn't it just undergoing an exterior cleaning/refurb?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 2:26 AM
Hammer'd

They're just cleaning up and restoring the exterior, though it has taken a ridiculously long time to do. I'm gonna chalk that one up to government funded projects.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 6:33 PM

It's a little hard to see past the dust fence from the sidewalk, but judging by the huge mound of soil heaped in front of the building I'd guess they're also performing waterproofing and drain work around the perimeter.

Considering the length of time elapsed, could they also be lowering the foundation, via underpinning, to increase ceiling height in the basement?

I haven't noticed if many concrete trucks have been part of the action, but their presence might indicate that this is also happening along with the exterior cleaning. Such work, if it is indeed occurring, would explain the scale and duration of this project.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 6:52 PM

They found marijuana plants someone had planted in front of the courthouse as a prank. Had to make sure they got it all.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton