HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 4:52 PM

Ellen Fairclough Building | 94m | 20 fl | Completed (1981)

Mystery of the 40 plywood-covered windows on Hamilton highrise
The Hamilton Spectator: Tuesday, October 07, 2014
By: Matthew Van Dongen

The province is boarding up dozens of mysteriously cracking windows in a 20-storey downtown tower to prevent glass from raining on the busy city transit hub below.

The city started fielding complaints last week about the 33-year-old Ellen Fairclough Building and a property standards officer was assigned to review the situation Monday, said enforcement director Bill Young.

There are about 40 plywood-covered windows visible from the ground, but Young said he has received no reports of glass falling on King Street East pedestrians or the MacNab Street bus terminal.

Close to half of all the damaged windows in the 94-metre-high building, one of the tallest in Hamilton, are above the busy MacNab transit hub.

"We know a lot of people walk … through that area and we're working together to ensure they're safe," Young said.

The province owns the building and Infrastructure Ontario handles its real estate dealings.

Infrastructure Ontario spokesperson Ian McConachie said the cause of the ongoing cracking is still under investigation.

But he added work on the exterior brick last year obviously damaged nine of the windows, one of which dropped a pane of glass to the ground during the late 2013 work. No one was injured.

He said more windows have been identified for maintenance or replacement, and scaffolding for that work is expected to go up soon.

Young said the city hasn't issued a repair order, noting the property manager has quickly blocked any window reported damaged and is "working co-operatively" with the city.

No employees in the building, which houses several provincial ministries, wanted to speak on the record to The Spectator Monday. But email correspondence to a city facilities official indicates several complaints originated from workers in the building.

Recent renovations, which included work on window frames, are suggested as a potential cause, but the email says a consultant is investigating further.

Young said the window damage appears to be "stress factures," but he couldn't say what the cause might be.

Transit users and even some employees taking a break outside the building Monday were unaware of the problems above their heads. The HSR hasn't fielded any concerned calls, either, said acting director Doug Murray.

The high-rise opened along with the convention centre in 1981 but was renamed the following year after Ellen Fairclough, the first female federal cabinet minister in Canada.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 6:03 PM

the spec has tweeted this story at least 20 times today.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 6:07 PM
It's Hammer Time

I would love to see this building get a new cladding.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post

No way man! I love that brick!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I wouldn't bet on any cosmetic upgrades, because the province owns it.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 1:57 AM
Ham-burgher

I don't mind the brick either - it's an unremarkable building overall, but it does add colour to the skyline.

There's a lot of risk a re-clad would look awful unless they went all out. Look at what's been done with many of the 1960s era brick-facade apartment buildings... horrid sheets of paneling (and hopefully the brick facing is more durable than some of those buildings where it loosened and came down)

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 4:26 AM

I've been inside the Ellen Fairclough Federal Building on a number of occasions, and I've come to harbour a mixed sentiment towards it's appearance. Frankly, I have no problem with the brick "cladding" but on the street level, it's absolutely atrocious. It mimics Jackson Square's walled highway-like approach (albeit it's slightly better due to the 'shop windows' - a term I use very lightly here - but even then, their often far from maintained and welcoming) coupled with a patterned ceiling of vents along King Street it's most unbecoming for the pedestrian. That being said, some great strides have been made on renovating the first floor lobby which has been significantly modernized and brightened up along with the other upper floors offices. There's still plenty of work that needs to be done though; the elevators are a little shoddy and the lobby areas of each floor are poorly lit, sparsely furnished if at all, and still very much reminiscent of a 1980's clinic.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 12:58 PM
It's Hammer Time

Brick facade usually doesn't last long before they start cracking and fall off. This happened a few years ago on John St, the whole side of a brick facade from an apartment came tumbling down.

Personally I just hate how the windows are boxy, wish it was a solid glass panel or wrapped around. Glass and brick mix can work together.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmascotto View Post
I've been inside the Ellen Fairclough Federal Building on a number of occasions, and I've come to harbour a mixed sentiment towards it's appearance. Frankly, I have no problem with the brick "cladding" but on the street level, it's absolutely atrocious.
It is definitely an unfriendly building. I remember renewing my health card and being scared just by the elevator speed.

Recently I noticed that there are outdoor walkways/balconies along the MacNab Street facade of the building. Have they ever been accessible to the employees?

I'm also curious how often the pedestrian bridge to the Sheraton Hotel is open? It was hard to even locate where in the Convention Centre to access it the last time I walked across. Are the outside entrances from Commonwealth Square or Jackson Square Plaze ever unlocked?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 11:37 AM

^Welcome to the fustercluck that is urban renewal.

Like, where's the front door, man?!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 11:44 AM

Knock that terrible building down and start over.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 12:16 AM

High lead levels found in water at downtown office tower
Two bathrooms at the Ellen Fairclough Building exceed provincial regulation for lead concentration: report
(CBC Hamilton: Thursday, November 06, 2014)
By: John Rieti

Water testing at a provincial government building in downtown Hamilton found unsafe levels of lead in the tap water in two bathrooms, a report obtained by CBC Hamilton shows.

Water samples taken within the Ellen Fairclough Building, a brick tower at King and McNab, showed elevated lead levels — above the maximum acceptable concentration of 0.010 milligrams per litre — in the women’s bathrooms on the 11th and 15th floors.

Exposure to lead is most dangerous for children under the age of six, when it can have serious negative effects on neuro-cognitive development.

Adults chronically exposed to lead, meanwhile, may develop kidney problems, anemia, or impaired nervous system function, according to a City of Hamilton public health report. Lead has also been identified as a probable carcinogen.

Drinking water is a common point of exposure, though contact with other contaminated items like food, soil, dust or paint is more prominent.

When told about the elevated lead levels at the Ellen Fairclough Building, a local union president said she wasn’t surprised.

"Ever since I’ve worked there there’s been signs not to drink the tap water and to let it run for five minutes before drinking," said Randy Marie Sloat, the president of Ontario Public Service Employees Union Local 201.

Most employees get their drinking water from a cooler provided to them, Sloat said, and the bathrooms in question are off limits to the public.

Sloat said a building alert went out a few months ago about the water testing, but she hadn’t heard anything about the results, though she added it could have been communicated to the health and safety committee instead of to her.

The building has recently had other problems, Sloat said, including windows breaking and falling. Today, several pieces of wood cover the spots where windows fell.

Testing carried out in July

Ontario Environmental and Safety Network Ltd. (OESN) carried out the water testing on July 22, and presented its findings to the property management company that runs the building, CB Richard Ellis, in a September report.

The building’s facility manager, who the report was addressed to, said he was not allowed to speak to the media.

Infrastructure Ontario spokesman Ian McConachie said the contaminated water is in taps only intended for hand-washing and not drinking. He said signage was posted in the building informing tenants of the water testing results on Sept. 9.

A second memo was sent on Sept. 23, McConachie said, to remind building tenants to use "available water fountains as a source of filtered drinking water and not to consume water from any bathroom taps.​"

The City of Hamilton provides the building’s water, which the OESN report says means the water going into the building should meet the regulations laid out in Ontario’s Safe Drinking Water Act.

Apart from the 11th and 15th floor women's bathrooms, the water meets all standards, though the report also notes in some areas the aluminum level was approaching provincial guidelines.

During the test, the report says, a sample of standing water was taken, as well as a second sample after the water was left running for five minutes, which often helps reduce lead levels.

On the 11th floor, the standing number was 0.0210 mg/L while the flushed number was 0.0101 mg/L — still over the maximum acceptable concentration.

On the 15th floor, only the standing number (0.0117 mg/L) was above the acceptable concentration.

City exploring corrosion control program

Dan McKinnon, Director of Hamilton Water, says the problem is likely within the building itself. He said the city constantly tests its water and the lead levels have always been under the maximum acceptable concentration while in city pipes.

However, the city is still working on a corrosion control program, which will eventually introduce new chemicals to the water supply in efforts to stop lead from leaching out of old pipes and into the water in privately-owned buildings and older homes.

McKinnon said that project, which was started in 2007 at the behest of the Ministry of Environment, is still years away from being operational.

According to Health Canada, the main culprit for lead getting into water is the material’s presence in valve parts, gaskets, or pipe jointing compounds.

McKinnon said older homes and buildings are especially at risk, and that typically, the longer water sits still in pipes the more lead gets into it.

Because exposure is most dangerous for children and pregnant mothers, the Ministry of Environment’s website lays out strict rules governing drinking water at schools and nurseries.

OESN, in its report, suggests the building managers at the Ellen Fairclough follow the same advice to flush the water system daily or weekly, and continue regular testing at the site.

The water testing showed no problems with the water’s aesthetics, E.Coli levels or amounts of metal.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 1:56 AM

ha well isn't this a coincidence. Im currently working at the Michael Star provincial finance building in Oshawa and all the drinking fountains have signs posted that the water has high levels of lead.

I've also heard that the Frost provincial building at Queens park also has high levels of lead.

whats up with provincial buildings and their water supply?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 9:13 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
ha well isn't this a coincidence. Im currently working at the Michael Star provincial finance building in Oshawa and all the drinking fountains have signs posted that the water has high levels of lead.

I've also heard that the Frost provincial building at Queens park also has high levels of lead.

whats up with provincial buildings and their water supply?
I don't know about the newer ones, but I think the older ones like Frost (south was built in the 1950s, with the north building in the '60s) and Macdonald Block and the towers (late 1960s) still have a lot of original piping. Some office spaces have been renovated, and I believe some floors have undergone asbestos removal, but that's it. Frost South is currently getting an exterior facelift.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Nov 9, 2014 at 9:25 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton