HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floc34 View Post
ha ha I was talking about the Dave and Busters style resturant
I knew what you meant. I was just pointing out that if his football career was any hold-up on the possibility of this place ever opening, his release from the 'Skins should help matters.

Atlanta Crossing would not be my location of choice if I were Fred.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 10:40 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCloverdale View Post
I knew what you meant. I was just pointing out that if his football career was any hold-up on the possibility of this place ever opening, his release from the 'Skins should help matters.

Atlanta Crossing would not be my location of choice if I were Fred.
While it wouldn't be your FIRST choice, some people would rather remodel a lower budget setting than build a new sprawling shopping center for this place to anchor. If all goes through Fred's doing us a favor by limiting sprawl and can breathe new life into this shopping center at a MAJOR intersection!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 2:31 PM

I didn't post anything about building "a new sprawling shopping center for this place to anchor" if I were in Beasley's shoes. I just wouldn't pick this location.

It's a shopping center that I don't frequent. It's a part of town that I don't frequent.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 2:52 PM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
I didn't post anything about building "a new sprawling shopping center for this place to anchor" if I were in Beasley's shoes. I just wouldn't pick this location.

It's a shopping center that I don't frequent. It's a part of town that I don't frequent.
I don't 'frequent' eastchase....

Atlanta Crossing has always been an underwhelming shopping center, the grocery store got caught up in merger go rounds and has been shuttered for years, and Service Merchandise was a retailer whose business model started failing in 1979 (remember when Service and Wilson's were 'the' nice places to shop?).... BUT it's in a terrific location, with lots of traffic and residential near by.... Reuseing that shopping center is a potentially great idea.

We've got to get consumers and retailers on the same page about reusing/retasking existing properties instead of just moving out a little further. Eastchase, while nice and pretty, was absolutely unnecessary, and does as much harm to Montgomery (by abandoning the Montgomery mall area), as it does good.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 3:20 PM

I used to shop at Montgomery Mall but now go to EastChase when the mood strikes -- which is rare. I just don't go to Eastdale Mall, ATL Hwy, etc. too much at all.

If Parisian had left Eastdale for EastChase, Eastdale would've be dead to me long ago. I've yet to be there since (I assume) it's now Belk.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 6:45 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:

This development is big enough and typically a anchor to a shopping center..... it's on the 2nd busiest thoroughfare in the city, only to the Boulevard-which it borders! It's about a mile from I-85 and about three miles from 231. It's an eastside location as well.... just a few minutes drive for roughly 75,000 residents. So what existing location off the top of your head is better?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 8:08 PM

IMO, the Eastdale Mall/ATL Crossing area, although east of downtown, does not equal an "eastside location" in MGM anymore.

I don't really know what's available but I wouldn't put it there. If he does, I wish him all the success in the world.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 9:16 PM
Witty comment fail

again, why is 'eastside' a good thing? Montgomery is too big for it's 300,000 people. In-fill, and limiting growth/sprawl is desperately needed.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 10:15 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
IMO, the Eastdale Mall/ATL Crossing area, although east of downtown, does not equal an "eastside location" in MGM anymore.

I don't really know what's available but I wouldn't put it there. If he does, I wish him all the success in the world.
Hmmm... then why did they name that stretch of road the East Boulevard? The city limits ends roughly 5 miles east of the 85/E. Boulevard exchange... I'd consider that the Eastside, IMO. The sprawl stretching beyond those limits isn't Montgomery, it's unincorporated or Pike Road.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 12:48 PM

I see what he is saying. Sure eastdale mall is part of the east side...or the old eastside. I think the perception now is that the 'new' eastside now is further out...like eastchase or down Vaughn Road where the Rave theater is located. For some reason that is where everyone wants to go to shop or eat. I for one can't stand the huge empty buildings left by the Walmarts or old grocery stores. I am certainly glad to see at least some of them being used by someone.

Do you really think Freddie B's will open? They have been working on that place forever now. And the sign that used to say 'coming soon' is no longer there and hasn't been there for a while now. Thoraudio, I agree with you that it is a great location...alot of traffic and all. But I really don't think that is the key to success anymore. Its not the 'hip' or new place to be...I'm not saying that's right, just the way I believe people see it. Hopefully it will open and do great. Montgomery sure needs a place like that. And it would give me somewhere esle to eat in that shopping center besides LaBamba.

As for great locations, look at Macaroni Grill on the SE Bypass and Troy Hwy. Gone. (And I sure liked that place). Still a great location, look at all the traffic it gets. Circuit City is now leaving there old location and going to Eastchase. I know some of you think Eastchase is a bad thing, and I can kinda understand why you believe that. But why are all these businesses leaving there locations now to go there? People and money thats why. I truly believe if these places were making the money where they area at now they wouldn't leave. Maybe thats stupid of me, I don't know. But have any of you been to that shopping center lately where Old Navy and Circuit City are now located? There just isn't anyone there.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 1:10 PM
Gump Watcher

Unhappy Circuit City moving to EastChase

Circuit City moving to EastChase

By Kym Klass

Another retail store on East Boulevard is moving its location to EastChase, the largest retail development in the far east end of the city of Montgomery.

Circuit City tentatively is scheduled to open between December and February at EastChase Market Center in the third, and last, planned retail phase.

It will be a 30,000-square-foot store, said Jennifer Sills, Circuit City spokeswoman, and will have about 50 full- and part-time employees.

The store is moving from its Montgomery Towne Center location on East Boulevard, where Barnes and Noble, Office Depot and Bed, Bath and Beyond are located. The 176,361-square-foot Montgomery Towne Center property sits adjacent to a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Circuit City joins a growing list of East Boulevard businesses closing and/or relocating to EastChase.

Cracker Barrel closed its 25-year-old restaurant on East Boulevard recently because another Cracker Barrel had been built not far from EastChase. The Roadhouse Grill closed in August. It didn't open a new Montgomery location, but when a similar type of restaurant, a Texas Roadhouse, opened, it opened at EastChase.

Michael's, a craft store, is opening an EastChase store and will close its East Boulevard location after the new store opens. Old Navy also plans to open a store at EastChase, although it's not known whether the East Boulevard location will remain open.

Kay Yarbrough, spokeswoman for Jim Wilson and Associates, said the company originally had 330 acres with the first phase being the Shoppes at EastChase. The second phase is the Plaza, which includes Target and Kohls.

An office park later was built behind Target, she said.

"And then, the third phase, the last planned retail phase, is the EastChase Market Center, which has Costco, and where Circuit City is moving to," Yarbrough said.

Still available are 10 outparcels, which are independent restaurants and stores that line Eastchase Parkway, and include Chick-fil-A and Red Robin.

"We have six outparcels in front of the Market Center and we have two that we haven't sold yet in front of Target and two in front of the EastChase entrance," Yarbrough said. "We do plan to build across from EastChase Market Center some apartments," which is an estimated two-year project.

"We have a little bit of space around the corner from the offices behind Target, but at this point, we're undetermined what it will be -- whatever the demand is."

Numerous calls made Monday and Tuesday to Phillips, Edison and Co., the group that leases property at Montgomery Towne Center, were not returned.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio View Post
again, why is 'eastside' a good thing? Montgomery is too big for it's 300,000 people. In-fill, and limiting growth/sprawl is desperately needed.
If your question was directed to me: I didn't bring up "eastside."

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz View Post
Hmmm... then why did they name that stretch of road the East Boulevard? The city limits ends roughly 5 miles east of the 85/E. Boulevard exchange... I'd consider that the Eastside, IMO. The sprawl stretching beyond those limits isn't Montgomery, it's unincorporated or Pike Road.
I'm a Downtown and Cloverdale person. Midtown is next on my list of places to go. But...

IMO, East Montgomery/Eastside (whatever you want to call it) nowadays is not the Bypass & Vaughn Road or the Bypass & ATL Hwy.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 2:26 PM

Whatever future business Circuit City would get from me just went to Best Buy.

EDIT: Cohen's is still your best bet when it comes to many of these purchases (shop with locals whenever possible) but didn't they leave Normandale for the old eastside -- the bypass -- years ago? I wonder if they'll move to the new east Montgomery again. Let's hope not.

Last edited by OldCloverdale; Sep 19, 2007 at 4:45 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 2:32 PM
Witty comment fail

there are many reasons why there is wholesale abandonment at the Montgomery Mall area. And it's all complicated. And none of it is good.

Alot of it has to do with race. Again a hugely complicated issue. It involves racism and white flight as well as black on black crime and a thriving 'thug' culture (I hate using the thug term, as it's been co-opted by many as a euphamism for a racial perjorative).

Racist policies of the past lead to poor economic conditions of today, which breeds criminal activity, which further pushes social segregation and ongoing racism, which leads to abandoment.

But abandoment is a tough issue. As an overreaching social policy, it's easy for me to say "take back the neighborhood, don't leave", but am I personally going to put my family's well being on the line?

Case in point. My sister's family lives in Capitol Heights. I (for reasons explained earlier in this thread ) live in the Burbs in Prattville. They chose to stay in the area, but her kids have to deal with a 'gang' (I use the term very loosely). A group of kids between about 10 and 15 years old, who wander the neighborhood, bully smaller kids, steal bikes etc.... My brother-in-law and sister have talked to the mom's, but there's no control... and while right now it's just petty stuff, in a couple of years?????

Me, I don't have that problem. I feel guilty about suburbia and commutes etc..... but I don't feel guilty about the safety of my kids when they're out playing.

there is no easy answer, and no quick fix. But I will continue to say this, Eastchase is doing as much (if not more) damage to Montgomery than it's doing good.

Let's say that instead of building Eastchase where they did, that Wilson et. al, instead re-developed the strip west of Montgomery Mall, taking in the dead k-mart, wal-mart etc.....

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 3:36 PM

Is this the third time Circuit City has moved within the City of Montgomery in less than ten years? It's sad if a city the size of Montgomery can't support two of the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlpugh View Post
Circuit City moving to EastChase

By Kym Klass

Another retail store on East Boulevard is moving its location to EastChase, the largest retail development in the far east end of the city of Montgomery.

Circuit City tentatively is scheduled to open between December and February at EastChase Market Center in the third, and last, planned retail phase.

It will be a 30,000-square-foot store, said Jennifer Sills, Circuit City spokeswoman, and will have about 50 full- and part-time employees.

The store is moving from its Montgomery Towne Center location on East Boulevard, where Barnes and Noble, Office Depot and Bed, Bath and Beyond are located. The 176,361-square-foot Montgomery Towne Center property sits adjacent to a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Circuit City joins a growing list of East Boulevard businesses closing and/or relocating to EastChase.

Cracker Barrel closed its 25-year-old restaurant on East Boulevard recently because another Cracker Barrel had been built not far from EastChase. The Roadhouse Grill closed in August. It didn't open a new Montgomery location, but when a similar type of restaurant, a Texas Roadhouse, opened, it opened at EastChase.

Michael's, a craft store, is opening an EastChase store and will close its East Boulevard location after the new store opens. Old Navy also plans to open a store at EastChase, although it's not known whether the East Boulevard location will remain open.

Kay Yarbrough, spokeswoman for Jim Wilson and Associates, said the company originally had 330 acres with the first phase being the Shoppes at EastChase. The second phase is the Plaza, which includes Target and Kohls.

An office park later was built behind Target, she said.

"And then, the third phase, the last planned retail phase, is the EastChase Market Center, which has Costco, and where Circuit City is moving to," Yarbrough said.

Still available are 10 outparcels, which are independent restaurants and stores that line Eastchase Parkway, and include Chick-fil-A and Red Robin.

"We have six outparcels in front of the Market Center and we have two that we haven't sold yet in front of Target and two in front of the EastChase entrance," Yarbrough said. "We do plan to build across from EastChase Market Center some apartments," which is an estimated two-year project.

"We have a little bit of space around the corner from the offices behind Target, but at this point, we're undetermined what it will be -- whatever the demand is."

Numerous calls made Monday and Tuesday to Phillips, Edison and Co., the group that leases property at Montgomery Towne Center, were not returned.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 7:00 PM

Well, at least they didn't leave the city of Montgomery entirely.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floc34 View Post
Is this the third time Circuit City has moved within the City of Montgomery in less than ten years? It's sad if a city the size of Montgomery can't support two of the same thing.
They could if they really wanted to. At most stores that have only one location, they usually are among the stores in their district with the highest sales volume, but at the same time they are constantly out of stock on popular items because they sell out so fast, and don't have room to expand at their current location in order to increase inventory.

The solution? They open another location. The problem is that many stores count on local developers to help them find new store locations.

Unfortunately, the local developers here harbor some of the sentiments mentioned in Thoraudio's last post when it comes to 'perceptions', and that moves them to continue the self-destructive "develop-and-abandon" process.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 10:10 PM

Where was Circuit City's original location in Montgomery and what became of said location?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 10:33 PM

I'm guessing MGM Mall, but I seem to remember an Eastdale location. Seems like everyone is leaving MGM for Pville. Should be interesting when the 3.00 gas becomes 4.00 gas. I have a 20 mile round trip commute (about 50 mins total) and I would not want to think about ya'll filling the highways to come in from P'ville and Wetumpka. i guess you'll all just abandon MGM. Thoraudio is right patronize you local businesses or at least the internet and keep the big boxes away.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast