HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Do you guys think Maguire has any hope in hell of winning? Obviously I hope to hell not.
While I do think Watson will have no problems winning, it's hard to tell.

In 2010, Maguire was competing against a whole bunch of high profile candidates (Haydon, Doucet, as well as Watson and O'Brien) - it was a crowded mayoral race. That being said, he was the top fringe candidate. I've listened to some of the recent CFRA podcasts, and the listeners really seem to love him (as well as the Ottawa Sun readers) and would choose him over Watson.

One thing we need to find out is whether there would be another higher profile candidate that will go against Watson and Maguire. Ken Gray says there is a high profile individual considering but the person's name have not been disclosed.

Last edited by JCL; Feb 13, 2014 at 4:12 PM. Reason: missing the word "not" in the phrase "have not been disclosed".

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post
Ken Gray says there is a high profile individual considering but the person's name have been disclosed.
It wouldn't surprise me if the ego known as Gray is the undisclosed candidate fighting against extremification, the destruction of the old west end and ensuring that Katherine Hobbs doesn't get re-elected.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 3:29 PM
National Capital Region

I don't think even Alfie would be able to beat Watson in this election He's quite a gifted politician. The lack of debate on major issues at Council, dismissal of opposing views, and the increased influence of communications/messaging on city government have all been issues... but on the other hand they just show the skills Watson has to be able to control the message, build consensus and move forward with his agenda.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 5:21 PM
National Capital Region

Coun. Bob Monette is running again
http://blogs.canoe.ca/cityhall/elect...ill-run-again/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
I don't think even Alfie would be able to beat Watson in this election He's quite a gifted politician. The lack of debate on major issues at Council, dismissal of opposing views, and the increased influence of communications/messaging on city government have all been issues... but on the other hand they just show the skills Watson has to be able to control the message, build consensus and move forward with his agenda.
Not after he turned his back on us to play for another mediocre team.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 11:31 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Hockey historian Liam Maguire runs for council

By Jon Willing, Ottawa Sun
First posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 04:42 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 04:48 PM EDT

It might be the toughest question Liam Maguire has ever faced, except this time he'll be the one asking it: "Will you vote for me?"

Maguire, the well-known NHL trivia master, author and broadcaster, filed his papers Tuesday to run in Osgoode ward in the October municipal election.

The 54-year-old father of two says he was convinced to run by his brother Mike, who is running for mayor.

"He started talking to me about this four years ago and wanted me to strongly consider jumping into Osgoode ward," Maguire said. "I decided I was ready to make a full commitment."

Maguire shares his brother's political preference for fiscal conservatism and says the big issue for Osgoode residents is rising costs, from hydro to taxes.

Maguire has experience addressing large audiences.

He has a hockey show on 1310 News and is often invited to speak across Canada as the "world's number one NHL historian."

People might recognize his name from Liam Maguire's pub. He's not the owner but he says he has a "business relationship" with the pub.

"I'm ready to make a move and do something different if I'm fortunate enough," Maguire said.

Maguire said he has lived in Osgoode ward for 15 years.

Longtime Osgoode politician Doug Thompson is retiring from politics, opening the door to a wide-open race.

Thompson has been an "exemplary" councillor who will be tough to replace, Maguire said.

Also registered to run in Osgoode are Justin Campbell, George Darouze, Bruce Faulkner, Kim Sheldrick and Jean Johnson-McKitterick.

The election is Oct. 27.

jon.willing@sunmedia.ca
Twitter: @JonathanWilling

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/03/18/...ns-for-council

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 1:11 AM
National Capital Region

Who do they think they are? The Fords? The McGuintys? The Chiarellis?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 12:19 AM

No surprise here:

Quote:
Watson to run again in 2014, will register Monday in Nepean

By Jon Willing ,Ottawa Sun
First posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 06:22 PM EDT | Updated: Sunday, March 23, 2014 06:25 PM EDT

Mayor Jim Watson is kicking off his re-election campaign Monday in Nepean.

The media-savvy Watson plugged the announcement on Facebook and Twitter Sunday before posting a statement on Facebook at 5 p.m., ahead of the evening newscasts.

"In politics, you can either run on your record, or you run from it. I'm very proud of my record and everything we've built together," Watson wrote.

Watson, who has said previously he would seek re-election, will be able to start collecting campaign donations once his nomination papers are filed.

Watson, 52, will submit his papers at Ben Franklin Place in Nepean.

Usually there's some thought that goes into where Watson launches his campaign.

In 2010 he chose the client service centre in Orléans to, he said at the time, showcase the east end and show the campaign is "about more than City Hall."

Now the west end will get Watson's attention.

Watson's only challenger so far is Mike Maguire, an IT executive who lives in Kars.

The election is Oct. 27.

jon.willing@sunmedia.ca

Twitter: @JonathanWilling
http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/03/23/...nday-in-nepean

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 12:26 AM
BANNED

I don't know why anyone runs for mayor Watson is going to win.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 8:31 PM

So how big do you guys think Watson's victory will be? I'm predicting over 60% of the vote.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:19 PM
National Capital Region

Councillor Holmes not running and will be supporting her former assistant Catherine McKenney
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Ottawa+...963/story.html

Somerset race just got really interesting.... Vote m0nkyman! http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...4&postcount=28

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Councillor Holmes not running and will be supporting her former assistant Catherine McKenney

Somerset race just got really interesting.... Vote m0nkyman! http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...4&postcount=28
Wow...that is amazing news. There are many on this forum who won't be sad to see her go. I guess there is only so long that a person could say 'I'm running for Council again as there is so much unfinished work to do in the ward'.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Wow...that is amazing news. There are many on this forum who won't be sad to see her go. I guess there is only so long that a person could say 'I'm running for Council again as there is so much unfinished work to do in the ward'.
Except she said exactly that when she registered for re-election a few weeks ago, lol:

Quote:
Somerset Ward's veteran councillor will be seeking re-election to city council in this fall's civic election because she thinks her job isn’t yet done.
“There’s so much unfinished work to do on behalf of the residents and the job’s very interesting. It keeps me busy,” says Holmes, who has been on city council and the former regional council for 27 years.
http://www.centretownnews.ca/index.p...421&Itemid=102

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 6:34 PM

This is a surprise. I wonder what motivated her to make this decision?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 6:45 PM

hopefully not for health reasons -- although that wouldn't be too surprising for someone at her age...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
Except she said exactly that when she registered for re-election a few weeks ago, lol:
I just find that 'unfinished business' a real cop out response to the real truth: I get off on the power and love lording it up around City Hall and causing grief to the damn developers in town.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 8:09 PM
National Capital Region

Well since she's endorsing an acolyte, any possibility that pledging to run again was a means to destabilize and ward off potential challengers?

Or perhaps less cynically/more charitably she possibly didn't want to create a power vacuum until such time as she had found someone like her to run to take her place.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 12:00 AM
Awesome!

Updates which includes Jan Harder running again in Barrhaven. So right now there is only Peter Clark whom we are not sure he is running (see below however) and to a lesser extent Rick Chiarelli

Jim Watson (Mayor): Yes and registered
Bob Monette (Orleans): Yes and registered
Rainer Bloess (Innes): No
Jan Harder (Barrhaven): Yes and registered
Marianne Wilkinson (Kanata North): Yes (per the Kanata Kourier-Standard)
Eli El-Chantiry (West Carleton-March): Yes according to the Kanata Kourier-Standard
Shad Qadri (Kanata West-Stittsville): Yes
Mark Taylor (Bay): Yes & Registered
Rick Chiarelli (College): Leaning towards yes
Keith Egli (Knoxdale-Merivale): Yes and registered
Diane Deans (Gloucester-Southgate): Yes
Tim Tierney (Beacon Hill-Cyrville): Yes & Registered
Mathieu Fleury (Rideau-Vanier): Yes & Registered
Peter Clark (Rideau-Rockliffe): Unsure, though a Le Droit article gives the impression he is not running for re-election, Ken Gray's blog also talks about that (Jan 27)
Diane Holmes (Somerset): No but was previously registered for re-election
Katherine Hobbs (Kitchissippi): Yes
Maria McRae (River): Yes
David Churnusenko (Capital): Likely yes
Peter Hume (Alta Vista): Yes
Stephen Blais (Cumberland): Yes & Registered
Doug Thompson (Osgoode): No
Scott Moffatt (Rideau-Goulbourn): Yes & Registered
Steve Desroches (Gloucester-South Nepean): No
Allan Hubley (Kanata South): Yes & Registered
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 12:01 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Well since she's endorsing an acolyte, any possibility that pledging to run again was a means to destabilize and ward off potential challengers?

Or perhaps less cynically/more charitably she possibly didn't want to create a power vacuum until such time as she had found someone like her to run to take her place.
Looks like it was the latter... amazing that she'd actually admit to it, though.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...reer-1.2597167

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 2:35 AM

Quote:

Thanks waterloowarrior. I'm hosting a meet and greet on April 16th at Pour Boy on Somerset starting at 7pm. Anyone who is interested in making downtown Ottawa the lively and vibrant urban core we all want, please join me.
https://www.facebook.com/events/553664278082602/

Last edited by m0nkyman; Apr 5, 2014 at 9:17 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy