HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 7:07 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
I added the Ogden and South Davis lines, so that should make the map complete.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...91202&t=h&z=11
Hey, this is great. Thanks for taking the time to put this all together.

With how long the Davis Line is planned to be, they should really just make it light rail. It is pretty neat to see that line go almost exactly where to old Bamberger Railroad once ran. It's too bad they can't take it all the way to Lagoon.

These short videos are way cool. The first shows footage of the old trains (in color) and second goes more into the overall history of the Bamberger line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW5L3...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTDFduRvSGw

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Oct 18, 2010 at 7:17 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 11:06 PM
Lurker

Agreed. Light rail may be a better option because it's much longer than most TRAX lines. However, from what I've read there is a lot of public opposition to the line as-is, so it seems highly unlikely to me that the public would support light rail. On the other hand, many people opposed TRAX at first, but upon seeing how successful it was, cities in the valley became eager to become connected.

A streetcar is probably the best option though. It's safer for pedestrians, takes up less space, costs less, and stops more frequently. Streetcars are also quieter and therefore less disruptive in residential areas than light rail or even buses.

Either way, I hope to see Davis County, as well as Salt Lake and Utah counties become more rail-oriented in the near future.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 1:00 AM

New Intersection coming to Utah?

Michigan left turns coming to Utah? Article from the SLTribune

After looking at how they work, I am not sure if I am a fan. Any fans out there that want to explain why they are so great? Seems like it would just move the back up from the intersection to a point further down the road.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 1:05 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post

Agreed. Light rail may be a better option because it's much longer than most TRAX lines. However, from what I've read there is a lot of public opposition to the line as-is, so it seems highly unlikely to me that the public would support light rail. On the other hand, many people opposed TRAX at first, but upon seeing how successful it was, cities in the valley became eager to become connected.

A streetcar is probably the best option though. It's safer for pedestrians, takes up less space, costs less, and stops more frequently. Streetcars are also quieter and therefore less disruptive in residential areas than light rail or even buses.

Either way, I hope to see Davis County, as well as Salt Lake and Utah counties become more rail-oriented in the near future.
Good points all around. The Streetcar's ability to do a lot with less space would be pretty crucial for parts of the route to work.

I think once Downtown SLC gets their Streetcar going, Bountiful will be able to see it and accept it in their city.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
Michigan left turns coming to Utah? Article from the SLTribune

After looking at how they work, I am not sure if I am a fan. Any fans out there that want to explain why they are so great? Seems like it would just move the back up from the intersection to a point further down the road.
I'm no expert on this but I think it could be a relatively good solution in some cases. I don't know exactly what those situations would be, but I imagine it would primarily be in cases where traffic is so heavy that left turners have to wait for the green arrow instead of yielding, because the amount of traffic would simply make it impractical to yield. Arrows mainly bother me because they take much longer, when often times it seems it would be easier to just go straight through the green, make a U, and then turn right, instead of waiting to turn left. I'm still wondering what it would be like, though, to have that many people trying to make U-turns all at the same time. It could be hectic and dangerous.

I'm open to the idea and am actually quite excited that they're pursuing this. My dad has always been a huge proponent of this, I'll have to discuss this with him. However, I've thought for a long time and continue to think that the main problem with intersections is unintelligent lights, and I'm amazed that no one has stepped up to the plate to apply existing technology to traffic lights to make them more sophisticated.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
I'm no expert on this but I think it could be a relatively good solution in some cases. I don't know exactly what those situations would be, but I imagine it would primarily be in cases where traffic is so heavy that left turners have to wait for the green arrow instead of yielding, because the amount of traffic would simply make it impractical to yield. Arrows mainly bother me because they take much longer, when often times it seems it would be easier to just go straight through the green, make a U, and then turn right, instead of waiting to turn left. I'm still wondering what it would be like, though, to have that many people trying to make U-turns all at the same time. It could be hectic and dangerous.

I'm open to the idea and am actually quite excited that they're pursuing this. My dad has always been a huge proponent of this, I'll have to discuss this with him. However, I've thought for a long time and continue to think that the main problem with intersections is unintelligent lights, and I'm amazed that no one has stepped up to the plate to apply existing technology to traffic lights to make them more sophisticated.
They need to just put in more roundabouts in Utah.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
They need to just put in more roundabouts in Utah.
I actually thought this as well, yet at the same time I have seen how some people deal with roundabouts in the states (yes all 50 of them), and it isn't always pretty.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 5:35 AM

I always thought they would be so nice to have by liberty park (roundabouts) till I visited Tijuana. Wow. Theyre the circles from hell...hahahaha. Now im fine with good old intersections...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
I actually thought this as well, yet at the same time I have seen how some people deal with roundabouts in the states (yes all 50 of them), and it isn't always pretty.
I haven't noticed any problems at roundabouts in the U.S., except some times people stop too long at them before merging in. As with anything new, they take a little time to get used to. I think Michigan left-hand turns would cause far more problems than a roundabout would.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I haven't noticed any problems at roundabouts in the U.S., except some times people stop too long at them before merging in. As with anything new, they take a little time to get used to. I think Michigan left-hand turns would cause far more problems than a roundabout would.
The roundabout here in Lehi is the absolute worst. The drivers on Main just blow threw the thing without yielding at all and the intersecting 5th west drivers are left without being able to get into the circle. It's incredibly annoying. Might as well just have a stop sign for the 5th westers and nothing for the main streeters.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 4:45 PM

From Mayor Becker's face book page:

Just announced: #SLC gets $26 million from stimulus funds to bring streetcars back to town. Sugar House line will be first. We are ready to build. More details soon.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 4:55 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Sugar House streetcar project awarded $26 million in federal funding

October 20th, 2010 @ 10:16am
By Jared Page

SALT LAKE CITY — The Sugar House streetcar project was awarded $26 million Wednesday in the second round of stimulus funds from the U.S. Department of Transportation.

The announcement is expected to jump-start construction of the two-mile streetcar line from the 2100 South TRAX station to the old Granite Furniture building in Sugar House.

"I am pleased to announce that by securing the TIGER II grant, we have identified a crucial piece of federal funding to take the Sugar House Streetcar from vision to reality," Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker said. "Our community and local economy will benefit tremendously by the rapid development of this core transit improvement and the jobs the project quickly creates."

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=12896889

Great news.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 5:03 PM

Maybe that's what the Mayor meant for BIG NEWS. That's more like it...very exciting news!!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 5:14 PM

Salt Lake City receives $26 million for Sugar House streetcar project

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...r-project.html

...The grant recipients are major infrastructure projects ranging from highways and bridges to transit, rail and ports...

... The $26 million awarded to the Sugar House streetcar project with the fourth highest figure granted in this second round of Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery funding...

Artists\' rendering of the proposed Sugar House Streetcar. (Salt Lake City)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Salt Lake City receives $26 million for Sugar House streetcar project

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...r-project.html

...The grant recipients are major infrastructure projects ranging from highways and bridges to transit, rail and ports...

... The $26 million awarded to the Sugar House streetcar project with the fourth highest figure granted in this second round of Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery funding...

Dope news!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 6:01 PM

Sweet!! Now, if they could connect the Sugarhouse line with the proposed downtown line that would be great! I can see Pearl District type neighborhoods popping up along the route. And then extend the downtown line up to 1300 East by the U.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 6:20 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Sweet!! Now, if they could connect the Sugarhouse line with the proposed downtown line that would be great! I can see Pearl District type neighborhoods popping up along the route. And then extend the downtown line up to 1300 East by the U.
They'll be connected via TRAX, but a streetcar line along a major road like 7th East would be awesome!!!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 8:14 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I think having it along 9th would be much more pedestrian friendly and could create much more development.

Here is a proposal that I posted a long time ago.

I don't have it drawn on the map but the line on 600 E could extend up to 200 S and connect with the downtown line.

This alignment would have a stop at Trolley Sq. The first red circle on the top of the map and the rest of the stops are as follows:
Liberty Park; 9th and 9th; 9th and 13th; 9th and 17th; 11th (just west of Westminster); and finally in Sugarhouse
Of course being a Streetcar line it could have many more stops along the way, but I simply highlighted some major areas.

This connects the downtown line with the Sugarhouse line.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 8:22 PM

The nice thing about SLC's infamous wide streets is that there are lots of options for streetcar routes between downtown and SugarHouse. I would really like to see the line extend up to Westminster at some point.

I hope this new investment will help Mecham and others in the area to obtain financing for their projects.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 9:56 PM
Lurker

According to the article, the line has a price tag estimated at around $46m. Does UTA have the other $20m necessary to build the line now?

LAY!!! THAT!!! TRACK!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West