HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 4:10 PM

Gotta love that night time lighting! It's visible from quite far, but not nearly as bright as, say, Shaw Tower's lighting feature.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 4:18 AM

Really wished it wasn't green. Looks kinda sinister. What's wrong with white or a bluish-white?

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 4:55 AM

I have yet to see it. Not visible from Metrotown that I have seen. Color is good vs. plain color on Telus Garden.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 10:23 AM

As per the strata minutes from Feb:

"Council was also informed that the exterior accent vein lighting that runs the length of the tower is now functioning and will be
displayed from time to time in different colours"

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
Gotta love that night time lighting! It's visible from quite far, but not nearly as bright as, say, Shaw Tower's lighting feature.
That's true, but I also wished they payed more attention to mid-level (street) lighting to brighten up the pedestrian realm: here and throughout downtown.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 4:54 AM
Reason and Freedom

I believe the pool/bar has started opening for the last two Sundays at the Drais nightclub, an event which is apparently called "SunDrais."

Here is a short video clip from todays event: https://www.instagram.com/p/BU78xztjXMH/

And a photo from last Sunday:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUqL5fsjpTI/

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 9:48 AM
perhaps . . .

Silicon lumps - how sexy! Very Trump!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 4:14 AM

that's vancouver for ya in a nutshell. trying to pretend something that it isn't. wonder how much they got paid those girls.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 4:17 AM

Anyways. Any constructive non judgmental comments?? No?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:08 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Yeah the new club has not been that successful, even with lots of incentives to guests, the number of paid guests seemed to outnumber paying ones. I think they were hoping for a vibe like Reflections had when it first opened but they've missed the mark, a shame as it could be a great space.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:34 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Really wished it wasn't green. Looks kinda sinister. What's wrong with white or a bluish-white?
No need to worry about it. Lights are off -- again.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 8:19 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
that's vancouver for ya in a nutshell. trying to pretend something that it isn't. wonder how much they got paid those girls.
a) something else is at play here.
b) we live in different cities.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 2:45 AM

My parents say they will be moving out and leasing out the place - don't like it at all.

Here's what they had to say:

Nightclub is extremely tacky and out of place; clientele and ambiance cheapens the overall feel.

Lobby champagne lounge is too loud and again, feels tacky. Would be much nicer if it was an afternoon tea lounge and have an elegant feel.

Residents are not well mannered (and my parents are of the same ethnicity). Lots of yelling, not a lot of chatter or greetings to each other, and take the staff for granted. Some people think they have to pay for AC (it's included in strata fees) so they leave their suite doors open.

Units have terrible sound isolation; you can hear the elevator dings in your living room.

There are rumours that there are tenants who are prostitutes in this building as well as one using their unit as a grow op; again rumours.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 2:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1510 View Post
There are rumours that there are tenants who are prostitutes in this building as well as one using their unit as a grow op; again rumours.
LOL....hey it's a "hustler's paradise" (as a function of branding)!...what else is to be expected???

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 6:09 AM

Quote:
My parents say they will be moving out and leasing out the place - don't like it at all.

Here's what they had to say:

Nightclub is extremely tacky and out of place; clientele and ambiance cheapens the overall feel.

Lobby champagne lounge is too loud and again, feels tacky. Would be much nicer if it was an afternoon tea lounge and have an elegant feel.

Residents are not well mannered (and my parents are of the same ethnicity). Lots of yelling, not a lot of chatter or greetings to each other, and take the staff for granted. Some people think they have to pay for AC (it's included in strata fees) so they leave their suite doors open.

Units have terrible sound isolation; you can hear the elevator dings in your living room.

Shame they didn't like it, but then the marketing was always aimed at a flashy crowd. As to hookers, that's a common scourge in many downtown buildings the anonymity of highrise life is conducive to the trade. I believe you said they liked "new" maybe the Charleson might give them a more relaxed atmosphere?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Shame they didn't like it, but then the marketing was always aimed at a flashy crowd. As to hookers, that's a common scourge in many downtown buildings the anonymity of highrise life is conducive to the trade. I believe you said they liked "new" maybe the Charleson might give them a more relaxed atmosphere?
Probably not the Charleson, they're not a fan of the location. Most probably, they'll just move across the street to the Shangri-La. Have some friends there and visit pretty much every other week and the crowd who live there are generally really friendly and as well as a nice variety of kinds of people living there. Units there are much more usable and there's actually space for clothes. At the Trump, you literally have a 4-panel wardrobes (about 5-6 ft in width) in the master for suites up to 4m; ridiculous..

While the building initially was portrayed and marketed as I wouldn't say flashy, but more socialite crowd, it's anything but that. I really don't want to say this but the Chinese here are not well behaved; you literally feel like you're in China whereas those who live in the Shangri La tend to have more 'class' and an aura of elegance and I really don't want to discriminate or describe people in this way but that's the sort of feeling you get. It's really unfortunate because the staff here are extraordinary and my folks will definitely miss them.

On another note, here are the photos of the completed combination unit that was completely renovated:

http://kreelcreative.com/experience/...-vancouver-bc/

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 9:25 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Some people think they have to pay for AC (it's included in strata fees) so they leave their suite doors open.
I'm not sure if that's an AC thing or more of a Mainland China thing.

People leaving their apartment doors open is very common here. I lived in a building in Shanghai where our neighbor never closed the door during the day. If he was awake, his door was open. He'd blast his TV, and he had a really noisy dog, so it wasn't a great experience.

I've never seen this sort of thing in Taiwan or HK though. It's definitely weird to have your door open to the world while you walk around in your boxers.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 10:06 PM

CTV News:
Dangerous stunt on top of 63-storey Trump Tower in Vancouver

Video: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.3451219

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 10:12 PM

Well that's hardly anything new

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I'm not sure if that's an AC thing or more of a Mainland China thing.

People leaving their apartment doors open is very common here. I lived in a building in Shanghai where our neighbor never closed the door during the day. If he was awake, his door was open. He'd blast his TV, and he had a really noisy dog, so it wasn't a great experience.

I've never seen this sort of thing in Taiwan or HK though. It's definitely weird to have your door open to the world while you walk around in your boxers.
Who leaves their doors open so strangers can see inside. So weird.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver