HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 2:12 PM

As joey says, lots of people don't perceive Atlanta as having much "sense of place" (which I think is similar to "identity," "distinctive personality," or "charm"). Many people from older cities would argue that it's a collection of generic neighborhoods and disposible strip malls connected by freeways. More charitably, others would say the same but note that there are some really interesting buildings here and there and that there are pockets of the city that do have personality (I'd count myself in this group). Whether you agree with any of these people or not, that's what I think they are saying.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 6:18 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
As joey says, lots of people don't perceive Atlanta as having much "sense of place" (which I think is similar to "identity," "distinctive personality," or "charm"). Many people from older cities would argue that it's a collection of generic neighborhoods and disposible strip malls connected by freeways. More charitably, others would say the same but note that there are some really interesting buildings here and there and that there are pockets of the city that do have personality (I'd count myself in this group). Whether you agree with any of these people or not, that's what I think they are saying.
"They" are apparently people who don't have first-hand knowledge of the city or it's "generic" neighborhoods. Morningside, Inman Park, Grant Park, Historic Midtown, Home Park, West End, Adair Park, Castleberry Hill, Fairlie-Poplar, Reynoldstown, Decatur, Avondale, Candler Park, L5P, Druid Hills, Ansley Park, etc. etc. etc. - generic??? Atlantic Station, Lenox, Phipps...strip malls???? People that are saying those things about Atlanta DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT ATLANTA. Period.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
People that are saying those things about Atlanta DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT ATLANTA. Period.
Or maybe they know a lot about Atlanta and just disagree.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 10:11 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Or maybe they know a lot about Atlanta and just disagree.
Maybe they THINK they know a lot about Atlanta and run their mouths when they shouldn't...because it makes them look stupid?

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 3:20 PM

Quote:
yes, that is correct.

weather, and the allure of milder winters, isn't that important to me, but last week i had a meeting in atlanta with a guy from connecticut who is down there for that very reason. so, "horses for course," as I think the british saying goes.

i also "get" atlanta. it is america's post-war autocentric culture and conservative get-the-government-off-of-my-back mindset come home to roost.

and multiply.

i believe gertrude stein said of oakland, ca, her hometown, "there's no there there." she could just as easily have been describing atlanta.

my thoughts, as i saw tombstoner's post, while perusing this atlanta section seeing what the locals think of the town.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 8:13 PM

^I agree, however I think there's a big distinction between the city and the metro. And I believe that's a major cause for contention when people start talking about how they perceive Atlanta.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 8:44 PM

Wonderful shots. Very nice!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsatlbldr View Post
Photos taken 5-19-08;

Nice Photos!!! Atlantic condo owners will have really nice views!!!!

The arch wont be so bad after all the landscaping is done, but the weird after-thought that is on top is absolutely horrific!! I cant imagine the original architect wanted that on there. It in no way fits on the arch. I saw this photo a few days ago, and since the 14th Bridge is closed, I actually drove past the arch and you can see that hideous canopy from the ground totally spoiling the effect of the arch. The eyes are immediately brought to the architectural anomaly sitting on the top. If a restaurant or party area was to be on top, it actually would not have been that difficult to architecturally match the arch and simply build it higher with in inset for outdoor area!!!!
American since 1-20-2009"

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
^I agree, however I think there's a big distinction between the city and the metro. And I believe that's a major cause for contention when people start talking about how they perceive Atlanta.
With time, greater intown growth/density, and better mass transit, the city and the metro area will become increasingly distinguishable (as most Northeastern cities are). Currently, however, the city "vibe" does not feel hugely distinct from built-up suburbs (to me, at least).

PS--those are great photos jfsatlbldr!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 12:33 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

You are in the minority among Atlanta residents with your feelings that the city isn't distinct from it's suburbs.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 1:53 PM

Quote:
With time, greater intown growth/density, and better mass transit, the city and the metro area will become increasingly distinguishable (as most Northeastern cities are). Currently, however, the city "vibe" does not feel hugely distinct from built-up suburbs (to me, at least).

PS--those are great photos jfsatlbldr!
Really? I'm thinking of places like Cabbagetown, Little 5, Inman Park, VaHi, etc. I can't think of similar places in any of Atlanta's suburbs. When you say "built-up suburbs", are you referring to those in Northeastern cities? If so, yeah I could see that, because until midtown/downtown becomes a dense shopping/dining/entertainment core, places like the ones I mentioned are the only places to feel the city "vibe" IMO. Buckhead is great but it definitely feels like a built-up suburb to me.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
Really? I'm thinking of places like Cabbagetown, Little 5, Inman Park, VaHi, etc. I can't think of similar places in any of Atlanta's suburbs. When you say "built-up suburbs", are you referring to those in Northeastern cities? If so, yeah I could see that, because until midtown/downtown becomes a dense shopping/dining/entertainment core, places like the ones I mentioned are the only places to feel the city "vibe" IMO. Buckhead is great but it definitely feels like a built-up suburb to me.
Yeah, there are definitely pockets of urban vibe in Atlanta (and I would add Decatur to your list). But as you'd probably agree, those are exceptions to the rule. By "built-up suburbs" I meant most parts of ITP (huge swaths of Brookhaven, Buckhead, Toco Hills, etc.) don't seem that much different from OTP places like Vining, Sandy Springs, Roswell, etc. I mention the Northeast as a place where there is (usually) a really clear distinction between "city" and "suburb" vibe -- something that hasn't happened in Atlanta (yet).

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsatlbldr View Post
Photos taken 5-19-08;

I have a question for you Joe or anyone else. I think it is the 5th photo down, looking north towards buckhead. If you look just west there is a cluster of fairly tall buildings. What is this area called and what are the main cross streets? Thanks

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 7:39 PM

I think you're referring to the residential highrises on Peachtree Road between Lindbergh Drive and 2800 block of Peachtree Road. Park Place, 2828 Peachtree and The Phoenix are the taller buildings.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybird View Post
I think you're referring to the residential highrises on Peachtree Road between Lindbergh Drive and 2800 block of Peachtree Road. Park Place, 2828 Peachtree and The Phoenix are the taller buildings.
Thanks

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 9:00 PM

I think if Atlanta could take places such as the Highlands, Little 5, and other small neighborhoods that define space and have places worth caring about...and transfer that into the existing streetscape as new buildings go up, that would be ideal.

But Atlanta as a car centric city is its undoing...most people can barely walk to their own mailboxes, MARTA is ineffective and the structure of the roads and parking lots that surround retail/commercial space are not people friendly, period.
And as gas prices increase Atlanta is going to find itself in real trouble...and I don't want to see that.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl View Post
I think if Atlanta could take places such as the Highlands, Little 5, and other small neighborhoods that define space and have places worth caring about...and transfer that into the existing streetscape as new buildings go up, that would be ideal.

But Atlanta as a car centric city is its undoing...most people can barely walk to their own mailboxes, MARTA is ineffective and the structure of the roads and parking lots that surround retail/commercial space are not people friendly, period.
And as gas prices increase Atlanta is going to find itself in real trouble...and I don't want to see that.
I haven't posted in several months (for several reasons), but this load of crap just begs a response.

Almost ALL of the new development going in all over the city is pedestrian oriented, built right up to street, etc. This City is urbanizing at warp speed, and will continue to do so.

MARTA is certainly VERY effective for the over 275,000 people that ride the trains ever day. You do realize this is more than the combined totals for Dallas, Houston & Miami, right? Despite being located in a State where the government is openly hostile to anything progressive, urban or seen to benefit Atlanta - we just keep chugging along. Imagine how different things could be if the State of Georgia or its Governor gave a damn about its Capitol City!

Rising gas prices are going to hurt many metros and thier suburbs, your precious New Orleans included. This car centic City seems to be doing pretty damn well in the middle of all of this uncertainty, thank you.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
I haven't posted in several months (for several reasons), but this load of crap just begs a response.

Almost ALL of the new development going in all over the city is pedestrian oriented, built right up to street, etc. This City is urbanizing at warp speed, and will continue to do so.

MARTA is certainly VERY effective for the over 275,000 people that ride the trains ever day. You do realize this is more than the combined totals for Dallas, Houston & Miami, right? Despite being located in a State where the government is openly hostile to anything progressive, urban or seen to benefit Atlanta - we just keep chugging along. Imagine how different things could be if the State of Georgia or its Governor gave a damn about its Capitol City!

Rising gas prices are going to hurt many metros and thier suburbs, your precious New Orleans included. This car centic City seems to be doing pretty damn well in the middle of all of this uncertainty, thank you.
Well said!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 5:33 PM

The tail of in-town Atlanta is still wagging the dog of the Metropolitan area. I see many positive signs in Atlanta, but it is by no means a foregone conclusion that poor transit connectivity will not be this area's undoing. I wouldn't be too triumphant too early.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 5:43 PM

Tombstoner, I couldn't agree more. I am just sick and tired of people writing off MARTA continually. I like to think of MARTA as the "backbone" of what will eventually HAVE to be a more comprehensive, metro-wide system.

There are quite a few cities out there that would kill to have half of what we have here.........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta