HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

View Poll Results: POLL: Do you like the Borg Cube in SLC?
I like it 34 72.34%
I hate it 13 27.66%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 9:16 PM
Engineer

POLL: Salt Lakers, do you like the Borg Cube?

So the discussion on the main thread got me curious and I want to see if opinions about the courthouse are as divided as I think they are. Do you hate it or love it? I know some of you are probably in between but pick a side!

By the way I'm having a hard time finding a good picture of the fully completed version.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 9:25 PM

You should have two polls: one asking whether people like or dislike the design/architecture, and one asking whether people like or dislike its placement/location.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 10:01 PM
Engineer

I guess that's fair. I was thinking of an overall opinion, but I suppose those two polls would have very different results. I like the building but it is quite alone and cold at the street level. For the sake of the poll though I'd just vote for architecture since that's where the biggest differences of opinion seem to be.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 10:07 PM

I used to absolutely hate it but seeing the Orange morning sun glow over it and seeing how federal / American it looks I like it nowl

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 12:44 AM
Wen Lambo

I don't "hate" it, but I definitely do not love it either. I just think of how much they spent on it ($225-$250M) and think about what could have been...

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 1:09 AM

To me the building's facade doesnt even appear to be glass. It resembles the following buildings facade's pretty well.

everytime that I look at the courthouse it reminds me of these:

chernobyl sarcophagus

grain elevator

grain elevator

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 1:25 AM

Government buildings like the courthouse are usually more expensive. While I wish it went to something like getting the homeless off the streets or feeding every hungry Utahn, the federal courthouse is essential, and people who harp on about how expensive it is, like the PSB / copshop shoulld take a moment to remember the old building. Old PSB, you were a piece of shit. May your structure rot and require city inspection.

I think an expensive building that lasts for a century (although we know it will be highly outdated by then) is a better investment than having Ivory Homes build a tan cube. I won't be surprised if all of davis county has to be rebuilt in large patches in the coming decades because of the material and structural similarities of the houses. My HarvardYale bungalow has been going strong (though it may need some structural "enhancements" soon ) for 90 years. It's much more relevant to everyone on the basis of the 111 Main design. SOM should be designing it, not VCBO.

I'm glad the courthouse was built well. Controversially, but well. I feel good paying taxes because I am glad that the money can go in to both homelessness projects and food banks (though keep in mind that if you don't have to pour yourself in to the LDS church it's worth it to donate to a good cause) but also projects to maintain a civic environment in the city. people who are always complaining about new libraries and about how [insert awful road hwre] is getting narrowed because so and so pedestrian got killed and so and so road is way too big. WTF do you do all day? Embed yourself deeper and deeper in to the corporate lifestyle? Today I'm going to go on AmeriBank road to take the Samsung Freeway and get off at the VeriSign exit to head to downtown Wells Fargo Bank Lake City to read a book at the McDonald's library.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 4:20 AM

I don't like it, but I don't hate it. It's a bold design, but one I don't see for an extended period of time.

In 20 years, we're going to be wondering what the hell we were thinking with this.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:36 AM

I've gone from hating it to at least liking it. I don't know that I'll ever love it. Other people have posted pics of other federal courthouses built +/- the last five years, and their designs seem more avant garde now, but I don't know that they'll age well either.

As other buildings grow taller around it at that intersection, it'll be interesting to see if it ever really fits in, or if the mandated setbacks and space around it will always keep it a solitary cube, waiting to assimilate, never finding its Locutus. Uh...locus.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:44 AM
Denver

The top of the building would be pretty cool as a crown on a larger boxy skyscraper, but I really do not like the bottom of this building.

Also I feel like courthouses should stick with more traditional architectural styles, since they most likely will be in this building for 50 years or more

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Government buildings like the courthouse are usually more expensive. While I wish it went to something like getting the homeless off the streets or feeding every hungry Utahn, the federal courthouse is essential, and people who harp on about how expensive it is, like the PSB / copshop shoulld take a moment to remember the old building. Old PSB, you were a piece of shit. May your structure rot and require city inspection.

I think an expensive building that lasts for a century (although we know it will be highly outdated by then) is a better investment than having Ivory Homes build a tan cube. I won't be surprised if all of davis county has to be rebuilt in large patches in the coming decades because of the material and structural similarities of the houses. My HarvardYale bungalow has been going strong (though it may need some structural "enhancements" soon ) for 90 years. It's much more relevant to everyone on the basis of the 111 Main design. SOM should be designing it, not VCBO.

I'm glad the courthouse was built well. Controversially, but well. I feel good paying taxes because I am glad that the money can go in to both homelessness projects and food banks (though keep in mind that if you don't have to pour yourself in to the LDS church it's worth it to donate to a good cause) but also projects to maintain a civic environment in the city. people who are always complaining about new libraries and about how [insert awful road hwre] is getting narrowed because so and so pedestrian got killed and so and so road is way too big. WTF do you do all day? Embed yourself deeper and deeper in to the corporate lifestyle? Today I'm going to go on AmeriBank road to take the Samsung Freeway and get off at the VeriSign exit to head to downtown Wells Fargo Bank Lake City to read a book at the McDonald's library.
I get it....Free Jazz...Ornette Coleman on sax, and Cecil Taylor on piano. As far as the Borg Cube goes, I think the only place this wretched stump would fit in is smack in the middle of Houston and its 60 floor neighbors....The ugly Betty flying under the radar. Modern, chic, Ugly. With some good utilitarian attributes, sure, but still.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 12:03 AM
of SLC

I like it. I just never want to have to go inside of it for any official business...

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 7:51 AM

I love it, always have.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West