HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:35 PM

14 of the 20 finalists are in the Eastern Time Zone. My bets are Boston or Atlanta. I would love to see Washington DC get it.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:36 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Detroit never had a chance. No way you'll attract talented employees to Detroit.
It's sad though that's the perception, because *Metro* Detroit is no worse or better than the metro area of any other decent-size city.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
I have to think Amazon already has its pick, and this is more of a show. How could they not know? There a lot of planning that has to into opening a major office this year, and I imagine they made the decision and are currently planning with a location in mind, unless something goes crazy wrong.
Of course they know. This whole dog-and-pony show is a joke.

And it isn't a second HQ; it's a bargaining chip for Seattle expansion, and just another big office that they need anyways.

Has anyone ever been involved in major lease negotiations? A standard office lease can take six months or more. The idea that they're gonna pick some random town and magically add 50k employees is absurd fantasy. They probably couldn't do that in 30 years.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:38 PM

Some thoughts...

-Surprised Miami made the cut
-Three possibilities in the DC area. hmmm...
-Can Toronto really be selected in this political climate?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

And it isn't a second HQ; it's a bargaining chip for Seattle expansion, and just another big office that they need anyways.

Has anyone ever been involved in major lease negotiations? A standard office lease can take six months or more. The idea that they're gonna pick some random town and magically add 50k employees is absurd fantasy. They probably couldn't do that in 30 years.
I get the feeling you're going to be like a Bernie Sanders supporter about this. Even when it's clear it's happening, you're still going to be telling us the ways "Bernie can still win!"

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Detroit never had a chance. No way you'll attract talented employees to Detroit.
Thanks for the two cents, good thing your perception and opinion has no bearing on reality.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:41 PM
Posh

Quote:

As I already pointed out, if they were indeed using this as a bargaining chip for Seattle, Seattle would be on the list. But since Seattle isn't on the list that means they aren't even going to talk with them anymore.

Amazon's hiring in the Seattle area has already slowed dramatically in the last year or so.

Quote:
Amazon has ALREADY added more than 50K employees to the Seattle area in LESS than 20 years. No reason that can't be duplicated in another city.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Amazon has ALREADY added more than 50K employees to the Seattle area in LESS than 20 years. No reason that can't be duplicated in another city.
except for the fact that the big companies of today are rarely the big companies of tomorrow. i think it would actually be shocking if Google/Facebook/Amazon are still the dominant players in 10-15 years that they are today.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:43 PM
BANNED

No surprises. All of the front runners are still in the running. I was hoping the list would have been down to a top 5 or 10.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:44 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
montegomery county, MD
AND
northern virginia
AND
washington D.C

all make the cut.
hmmmmm........
I dunno, this just tells me that the DC area could not submit a unified bid because of differing state politics. All three sections of the DC region offer the urban housing, public transit, and quality of life that Amazon’s looking for, and all three are (arguably) equally desirable for office leasing.

This isn’t a random drawing, DC having three “spots” on the shortlist doesn’t give them an advantage, Amazon will still be considering the DC area as one unit in their deliberations and, if chosen, then they will probably pick the DC subregion with the best incentive package.

This is no different than New York and Newark submitting separate bids...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedairspray View Post
I get the feeling you're going to be like a Bernie Sanders supporter about this. Even when it's clear it's happening, you're still going to be telling us the ways "Bernie can still win!"
If you truly believe that Amazon is going to build a second HQ and add 50k jobs, and that this is truly a "competition" with an unknown winner, then bless your heart. Good luck with that narrative.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:46 PM

Quote:
There are about a billion reasons why that won't be duplicated in Seattle, or any other city. For one, the idea that Amazon would be as fast growing 20 years from now (or even 5 years from now) is pretty absurd.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
If you truly believe that Amazon is going to build a second HQ and add 50k jobs, and that this is truly a "competition" with an unknown winner, then bless your heart. Good luck with that narrative.

I look forward to years of you saying that, as plans progress and whatnot.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:47 PM
Posh

Quote:
There are about a billion reasons why that won't be duplicated in Seattle, or any other city.
Oh really? Name 10. Or even 5.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:51 PM

Some other observations:

Raleigh over Charlotte?
The only suburban locations considered are in the DMV.

I care less about where HQ2 goes now since it seems pretty arbitrary. Either they already have a location chosen, or the decision-making process is basic AF. But my new guesses are that it will be either Boston, DMV, or Toronto.

Time for the Apple sweepstakes.

Quote:
Oh really? Name 10. Or even 5.
1. No tech company on the planet has had nonstop sustained growth

2. No major company on the planet has true "dual, equal HQ"

3. There is no logistical way to set up a "HQ" within months without having a predetermined winner

4. The disruptive nature of tech makes long-term predictions useless

5. Amazon has been clear that it wants to grow in Seattle, not elsewhere

I've noticed with the concentration of places in the Northeast, there's a fairly high chance of it landing somewhere along the Northeast Corridor. What I see from that is that if they go for one of those cities (DC, its suburbs, Philly, Newark, New York, Boston), the ones that don't get picked will reap the benefits of companies coming into the area to be near Amazon. At least that's my two cents.

Of course, being from Philly, I'm rooting for them all the way. As it stands, my money's on, in order...
DC
Atlanta
Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
As M Brown said earlier, I'd be interested in hearing an explanation from Amazon. I could be wrong.

But to have Raleigh, Nashville and Indianapolis, Columbus and even Pittsburgh make the list, Detroit deserves that much.
Just a guess but Michigan probably wasn't willing to play ball on the financial incentives. It could be that simple.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:53 PM
Posh

Quote:
For one, the idea that Amazon would be as fast growing 20 years from now (or even 5 years from now) is pretty absurd.
Nobody doubts Amazon's growth will eventually slow down. Even Jeff Bezos would probably tell you Amazon's growth will eventually slow down. But RIGHT NOW they are still growing fast, and RIGHT NOW they need room for some tens of thousands of additional employees. Maybe their HQ2 will only get to, say, 20K or 30K employees instead of 50K before they stop growing, but that's still a lot of additional employees.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Some other observations:

Raleigh over Charlotte?
The only suburban locations considered are in the DMV.
Raleigh, or the greater 'Triangle' region is not surprising given all of the colleges and the Research Triangle Park there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions