HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 8:25 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I think the fact that this building is all concrete is what is making is so slow. Move the forms, place the rebar, place the forms, pour the concrete, wait for the concrete to set, remove the forms and then repeat.

I have never been so excited for a building, I think this one is going to be a real gem, it is going to look awesome!
Also because there is no tower crane, and there is some complexity to the design, it takes a bit longer.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 12:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 8:33 PM

Guess I'll post this here too, just a quick diagram I did of the completed height of Fortis Place and a few other proposed/approved/ Under construction projects in the area..

I cannot wait for Fortis to be Topped out and curtained

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 10:25 PM
BANNED

I'm totally falling in love with how urbanised St. John's is beginning to look

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 10:29 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A guest in one of our threads... what do we do?

*Tidies the room and puts on the kettle*

Well, thank you! I'm sure many here love it too.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 3:16 PM

ok so I drove by fortis place this morning and they are putting up a glass wall on the bottom floors!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I'm totally falling in love with how urbanised St. John's is beginning to look
It's definitely becoming more urbanized, but still room for improvement (e.g. height restrictions). The ball just starting rolling here the past few years, we're all hoping this forward momentum keeps it going.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
ok so I drove by fortis place this morning and they are putting up a glass wall on the bottom floors!
That's awesome! I can't wait to see this one shelled.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post

Really?? That's great! I guess they want to get everything they possibly can curtained before they have to shovel every floor out when they go to work in the morning

Looking forward to seeing what the glass looks like!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 12:38 AM
ARTchitecture

what is 430 Water Street and Steele? Those will really add a LOT to the area considering 351 Water Street and Fortis will be done next year.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 12:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
It's definitely becoming more urbanized, but still room for improvement (e.g. height restrictions). The ball just starting rolling here the past few years, we're all hoping this forward momentum keeps it going.
Of course, amending height restrictions of your city would be at your discretion; although, to be honest, I don't mind the height established in St. John's. With your new towers, essentially, St. John's seems to be looking more like itself!

I believe focusing on in-fill of surface parking lots and working toward site redevelopment is more vital. The inward urbanisation of St. John's should continue, as it is in most other areas of Canada, because of the shift in demographics wanting to live, work, and play downtown -- partly because it's entertaining and convenient, and partly because you can live more affordably. And let's be honest... developments going up within a city's established infrastructure means the city doesn't have to pay for new roads, new water services and utilities, etc...

This trend should continue.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
what is 430 Water Street and Steele? Those will really add a LOT to the area considering 351 Water Street and Fortis will be done next year.
430 Water is an existing building owned by Stantec. They want to add a 6 floor expansion to their existing location. Steele is a Newfoundland owned company that own and operate hotels as well as communication stations such as radio, etc.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Of course, amending height restrictions of your city would be at your discretion; although, to be honest, I don't mind the height established in St. John's. With your new towers, essentially, St. John's seems to be looking more like itself!

I believe focusing on in-fill of surface parking lots and working toward site redevelopment is more vital. The inward urbanisation of St. John's should continue, as it is in most other areas of Canada, because of the shift in demographics wanting to live, work, and play downtown -- partly because it's entertaining and convenient, and partly because you can live more affordably. And let's be honest... developments going up within a city's established infrastructure means the city doesn't have to pay for new roads, new water services and utilities, etc...

This trend should continue.
I agree on all fronts. Unfortunately linear sprawl is a major factor in St. John's and still continues to be an issue...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Like Statbass said, Steele is a proposed and now (as of this month) under construction 6 story hotel project. 430 Water Street is an existing three story building that wants to construct a 6 story expansion.

I'll add some pictures to the mix for reference. Here is the steele hotel. It's a little infamous among us (well mainly only me ) This is what was originally proposed

I didn't have a problem with this. It looked great. I would have ideally rathered something a bit taller for that site, but the proposal looked great. It seems that building was way over budget and they 'updated' the design. The most recent render we've seen looks like a cheap industrial building straight out of 1962! Here's the most recent render:

Hopefully it won't turn out that bad, but I cannot say I'm a fan.

Here are a few early concepts for the 430 Water street proposal. I think glass would look nice and would compliment Fortis Place brilliantly, but the heritage committee wants the developer to consider brick. Just a matter of opinion I guess.

Both projects will greatly improve that part of downtown, even though they could use a few extra stories, and if one of them isn't exactly ascetically pleasing

But I think they will add some vibrancy to that decrepit portion of our downtown. Hopefully they are just the start of many (taller!) developments to come in that area. Sorry if this was a little off topic, I just wanted to fully answer Chadillac's question

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 3:42 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:00 PM

I LOVE the color of glass they chose!! I'm surprised to see them curtaining the bottom floors already. I guess, if they are done all the concrete work for those floors, there's no reason why they can't get a head start on curtaining them. They won't have to shovel out the curtained floors!

I really like the shade of glass though, it looks fantastic! I can't wait to see more of it done!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:22 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm a little disappointed by the glass. I would have preferred something closer to charcoal or black, rather than blue, for a building like this. But it's still a 9/10.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:27 PM

But didn't we know it was going to be blue from the very first render? I'm glad it's a nice dark navy blue though. It looks like the center part of the building is going to be done in charcoal brick anyway, so I want the windows to be somewhat distinguishable from the side of the building. Color is 9.9/10 for me, As is this building so far

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 11:43 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Nice photos.

I think the glass will look good.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 2:58 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's