Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
If they add a spire to the Transbay tower....

That could be amazing. I hope this news of a "superstructure" (whatever that may be....spire? antennae? a crown on top of a crown? Alien docking platform?) is true.

The original plan was about 80 stories and 1200 ft. It's never too late to reconsider...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 5:44 AM

What's interesting is NIMBYism might all just disappear for the sake of two cities fighting each other to see who might have the tallest building on the West Coast.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 5:48 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
What's interesting is NIMBYism might all just disappear for the sake of two cities fighting each other to see who might have the tallest building on the West Coast.
We'll lose if LA doesn't care about shadows as much as SF does. They need to figure out how to make TBT taller without causing any "grievous" shadows.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 5:56 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Transbay is entitled--as of right--to build up to 1200 ft. Above that, the city may allow mechanical and/or decorative elements--but considering the maximum allowable height and all that went into determining same, maybe not. Either way, the Wilshire Grand is only permitted to build as of right to 1100 ft., max. LA may grant a variance, but that may take extra time and effort.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 6:10 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Transbay is entitled--as of right--to build up to 1200 ft. Above that, the city may allow mechanical and/or decorative elements--but considering the maximum allowable height and all that went into determining same, maybe not. Either way, the Wilshire Grand is only permitted to build as of right to 1100 ft., max. LA may grant a variance, but that may take extra time and effort.
Now you've gotten us all excited and dreaming for this fflint! I had forgotten that Hines shortened the tower on its own--let's hope Boston Properties wants to now restore the height!!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 6:15 AM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Actually, the Wilshire Grand is entitled for a building up to 1,250 ft due to the previous plans that were approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
We'll lose if LA doesn't care about shadows as much as SF does. They need to figure out how to make TBT taller without causing any "grievous" shadows.
There's no opposition to the WG as far as I've heard. I know the previous design got some negative feedback due to the LED lighting that would cover the whole building but I don't think the new design has that feature.

We'll see what happens. Either way, I'll be happy to see two enormous new buildings going up simultaneously in California.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 6:29 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Floyd View Post
Actually, the Wilshire Grand is entitled for a building up to 1,250 ft due to the previous plans that were approved.
I stand corrected!

Quote:
We'll see what happens. Either way, I'll be happy to see two enormous new buildings going up simultaneously in California.
Agreed. This is great, like NYC in the Deco 20s.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 8:14 AM
Bring out the cranes...

That is a very sexy looking building.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 2:25 PM

oh wow great news

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 7:11 PM

Isn't the top 200 feet of the Transbay Tower already just decoration?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 10:27 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

I find it exciting in any event that two new supertalls are planned for the west coast. The details on who will be taller are so convoluted and varied, I just don't care. The current plans have Transbay at 1070', Wilshire Grand at 1100'. That's only 30' feet of difference. Transbay's upper structural crown will make it "look" taller mass wise, as the crown height for the WG will be 1000' with a 100' spire. But the WG will have a higher occupied floor from all accounts, and the US Bank tower in LA still will retain highest roof and occupied floor. So all this back an forth is mute. As far as the constant city vs city, lets not go there. Both are attractive structures and will give each city an new landmark.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 11:03 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I don't think there's any city v. city here--both the Wilshire Grand and Transbay towers are awesome designs and California will finally get not merely one, but two supertalls.

That said, as with the ESB and Chrysler matchup in the Art Deco age, it's fun to see skyscraper developers trying to outdo each other in the height department--especially considering how only 12 years ago the tragedy of 9/11 led to a great deal of conjecture that we'd never build supertalls again.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 7:53 AM

This is great if it is true. I was wondering if we would ever get back to thinking more about this:

Original source: San Francisco Planning Department:

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 1:23 PM
New Yorker for life

I think it's refreshing for two cities on the west coast to reach for a tallest. Skyscrapers are back.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 10:15 PM

I went to the public forums before the official design plans were unveiled in 2007 and the plans by the city were that 1200' could be the maximum height to the roof, or perhaps opaque crown, but that spires could extend much further, perhaps to the 1375' proposed by SOM, or maybe higher? Who knows.
What I think will happen is that both towers will rise at the same time and there will be a final finish (by SF? ) which will claim dominance.

Notice how all of the press releases during and since the ceremonial groundbreaking claim it as "the tallest building on the west coast?" Pretty brazen. Surely the developers and architects know that the WG is proposed at 1100'.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
I went to the public forums before the official design plans were unveiled in 2007 and the plans by the city were that 1200' could be the maximum height to the roof, or perhaps opaque crown, but that spires could extend much further, perhaps to the 1375' proposed by SOM, or maybe higher? Who knows.
What I think will happen is that both towers will rise at the same time and there will be a final finish (by SF? ) which will claim dominance.

Notice how all of the press releases during and since the ceremonial groundbreaking claim it as "the tallest building on the west coast?" Pretty brazen. Surely the developers and architects know that the WG is proposed at 1100'.
Those of us looking for a 1930's style skyscraper d*** measuring contest are likely to be disappointed.

I don't think Hanjin/Korean Air honestly cares whether or not their building is taller than the Transbay Tower. They haven't even marketed the Wilshire Grand as the tallest building in LA (although media outlets and SkyscraperPage forumers clearly took notice). The project's website specifically refers to the Wilshire Grand as the "Second tallest building in LA skyline."

If Boston Properties does in fact decide to add something on top of the Transbay Tower to make it taller, I don't expect the Hanjin Group to up the ante.

Last edited by blackcat23; Apr 2, 2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: word choice

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 11:41 PM

That article mentioning the "superstructure" has been updated, and it looks like there might not actually be any extra height/superstructure/mystery spire planned for the tower:

Quote:
Asked about the Wilshire Grand, the communications
team for the Transbay Joint Powers Authority at first stuck to its position that the Transbay tower will be taller. Spokesman Adam Alberti even claimed San Francisco's new skyscraper will be significantly higher than 1,070 feet. He later acknowledged this was incorrect.

Alberti said the authority is not concerned with bragging rights, just a well-conceived project: "If that ends up with us having the second-tallest tower in the west by some standards, I don't think anyone will lose sleep over it."
http://www.mercurynews.com/san-mateo...est-skyscraper

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 12:01 AM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Those of us looking for a 1930's style skyscraper d*** measuring contest are likely to be disappointed.

I don't think Hanjin/Korean Air honestly cares whether or not their building is taller than the Transbay Tower. They haven't even marketed the Wilshire Grand as the tallest building in LA (although media outlets and SkyscraperPage forumers clearly took notice). The project's website specifically refers to the Wilshire Grand as the "Second tallest building in LA skyline."

If Boston Properties does in fact decide to add something on top of the Transbay Tower to make it taller, I don't expect the Hanjin Group to up the ante.
Well their website is also a little slow to update. It still lists the tower as having 70 floors instead of 73. But I agree that they probably don't really give a hoot, otherwise I think they would've gone much higher.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 6:32 AM

All this talk about WG's spire as cheating is new to me, this whole time I thought they were adding a spire just so LA could actually have one lol

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 9:34 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011driver View Post
All this talk about WG's spire as cheating is new to me
It's new to everyone, since you're the only one saying that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture