HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 10:12 PM

I remember seeing something about this new Mexican restaurant here a while back, guess it opened quietly.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ohns-1.3903378

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
I remember seeing something about this new Mexican restaurant here a while back, guess it opened quietly.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ohns-1.3903378
I wouldn't say quietly. While they didn't get flashy with their opening, they had quite the fanbase eagerly built up before they opened, so it's been absolutely packed there since they opened about two months ago.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 12:32 PM

Gracie Joe's has closed up shop and I guess we know why now: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...land-1.3921559

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
That is going to be Fionn MacCools Irish pub and restaurant. It's being built by the owners of the Fairfield Marrriott. Fionn MacCools is part of the same family of restaurants as Kelsey's, Swiss Chalet, Montannas, Milestones, East Side Marios, Bier Markt, and Harvey's which are franchised by Cara Operations.
Quote:
OK, Thanks! Guess I was getting confused between this development and the restaurant in front of the Sandman Hotel . Fionn MacCools huh? I'll save it for the restaurant thread.
Great to see the new restaurants, Moxies in particular. I, for one, believe we're getting invaded by CARA and its various brands. Do we really need to import an Irish themed pub from the mainland into St. John's?
Personally I'd like a bit more diversity - Chili's anyone?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 2:52 PM

If I am not mistaken, he did the same thing about 10 years ago, with another business on Water Street.

Good luck on Bell Island. Not a chance in hell of surviving over there

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Great to see the new restaurants, Moxies in particular. I, for one, believe we're getting invaded by CARA and its various brands. Do we really need to import an Irish themed pub from the mainland into St. John's?
Personally I'd like a bit more diversity - Chili's anyone?
Every Franchise restaurant in this city is basically the same ! They all have the same basic menu choices ( Montana's, Kelsey's , Boston pizza, Fog City, etc etc etc )

We need an affordable steakhouse --- Longhorn's !

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Every Franchise restaurant in this city is basically the same ! They all have the same basic menu choices ( Montana's, Kelsey's , Boston pizza, Fog City, etc etc etc )

We need an affordable steakhouse --- Longhorn's !
Because that's all NLers like. Basic burgers and fries. The reason Cara keeps opening because people are foolish enough to think there any different.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
If I am not mistaken, he did the same thing about 10 years ago, with another business on Water Street.

Good luck on Bell Island. Not a chance in hell of surviving over there
From what I've heard through the grape vine, he's opened and closed at least a couple of other businesses in the same fashion. Good luck on Bell Island is right.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 8:05 PM

I see from Facebook that Edible Arrangements are hiring for their new store. Looks like they hope to be open by the end of the month. https://www.facebook.com/Edible-Arra...54690/?fref=ts

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 10:38 PM

If the market is here then why not? More jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelley View Post
Because that's all NLers like. Basic burgers and fries. The reason Cara keeps opening because people are foolish enough to think there any different.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 5:16 PM

Seems like Quesada Burrittos and Tacos are doin ok. They are opening a second location. In the east end this time on Hebron Way next door to Cora. They will also be serving alcohol there.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 12:17 PM

Red Rock Restaurant on Topsail Road has announced on its Facebook Page, its permanent closure. It says it's due to the economy and the many new players in the industry.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 7:32 PM

Red Rock Restaurant was terrible. It used to be good, but last time I was there they never had 3 different things I wanted on the menu. Not surprised it is closed.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 11:47 PM

Why should we assume that Red Rock is closing because of the economic downturn? The restaurant business is highly competitive, but if the economic climate is that hostile to the restaurant business why are there two national franchises currently under construction on Kenmount Road? Plus Little Caesars is going to open in the East End (a take out joint I know), and the new Quessadas (wrong spelling) is opening next to Cara's on Hebron Way. Not to downplay the current economic situation, but sometimes we can really be too negative. The media, oftentimes, is not our friend.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Why should we assume that Red Rock is closing because of the economic downturn? The restaurant business is highly competitive, but if the economic climate is that hostile to the restaurant business why are there two national franchises currently under construction on Kenmount Road? Plus Little Caesars is going to open in the East End (a take out joint I know), and the new Quessadas (wrong spelling) is opening next to Cara's on Hebron Way. Not to downplay the current economic situation, but sometimes we can really be too negative. The media, oftentimes, is not our friend.
Exactly. It's an easy excuse to use when a business closes that was failing anyway. There's a lot of legitimate cases of businesses closing due to economic factors here lately. A small few just don't smell right though, this is one of them.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 1:50 PM

I have eaten at Red Rock Grill a couple of times, and honestly, there wasn't anything that made me say to myself "I must return again soon". It was just ok. Plus each time I was there, the place was always pretty much empty.
I noticed too that they had all this graffiti on the east side of the building and was left there for the longest time. Might be still there. If they don't care about their external image, how am I to assume there care about what goes on inside also. If you want to stay afloat in the restaurant business, you have to properly manage your brand and I find that is the biggest problem with local restaurants. It's a super competitive business and unless you also have lots of money to burn through, you don't have much hope. Everyone always love to blame the economy or compitition from national franchises which is probably not the real reason they close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Exactly. It's an easy excuse to use when a business closes that was failing anyway. There's a lot of legitimate cases of businesses closing due to economic factors here lately. A small few just don't smell right though, this is one of them.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
The media, oftentimes, is not our friend.
As the saying goes, "There's no good news like bad news". Not to belittle the media, it's a very important outlet for information, knowledge and accountability/transparency. However, sometimes priorities (e.g. ratings) get in the way of that.

As for Red Rock Grill, can't really speak to the restaurant as I've never eaten there.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
I have eaten at Red Rock Grill a couple of times, and honestly, there wasn't anything that made me say to myself "I must return again soon". It was just ok. Plus each time I was there, the place was always pretty much empty.
I noticed too that they had all this graffiti on the east side of the building and was left there for the longest time. Might be still there. If they don't care about their external image, how am I to assume there care about what goes on inside also. If you want to stay afloat in the restaurant business, you have to properly manage your brand and I find that is the biggest problem with local restaurants. It's a super competitive business and unless you also have lots of money to burn through, you don't have much hope. Everyone always love to blame the economy or compitition from national franchises which is probably not the real reason they close.
I 100% agree.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 1:23 PM

What's happening in suburban St' John's area reminds me a lot of what suburban Southern Ontario looks like....box centre shopping areas with franchise pubs and restaurants littered around.

I have no real problem with this...I just hope St. John's gives Water Street a decent facelift that makes it more pedestrian friendly and figures out a better parking/busing solution...so it can compete vs new shit popping up and around.

Otherwise to the average joe going to that new pub or eatery 5-10 mins away might be a lot more convenient and appealing than going downtown.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 2:24 PM

Don't hold your breath on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
What's happening in suburban St' John's area reminds me a lot of what suburban Southern Ontario looks like....box centre shopping areas with franchise pubs and restaurants littered around.

I have no real problem with this...I just hope St. John's gives Water Street a decent facelift that makes it more pedestrian friendly and figures out a better parking/busing solution...so it can compete vs new shit popping up and around.

Otherwise to the average joe going to that new pub or eatery 5-10 mins away might be a lot more convenient and appealing than going downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's