HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 12:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | Brooklyn Point (Citypoint Phase 3) | 721 FT | 57 FLOORS

This was also mentioned in the CityPoint thread, but now that Gary Barnett of Extell Development is taking over phase 3, it could set the stage for a battle of tallest in Brooklyn between Gary Barnett (One57, Nordstrom) and Michael Stern of JDS (111 W. 57th). I don't expect that either will be a supertall, but it doesn't have to be to gain the title of Brooklyn.

http://commercialobserver.com/2014/0...ty-point-deal/

Gary Barnett’s Extell Enters Brooklyn With City Point Deal

BY LAUREN ELKIES SCHRAM
9/15/14

Quote:
Gary Barnett‘s Extell Development Company is slated to develop residential units in what marks phase three of City Point, the mixed-use development in Downtown Brooklyn, Commercial Observer has learned.

The development deal, which is in the contract stage, represents Mr. Barnett’s first foray into Kings County. The prolific developer is undecided about whether the project will be a rental or a condominium, sources close to the deal said, but no affordable housing has been included in the plans.

When Commercial Observer interviewed Mr. Barnett for the Sept. 3 issue, he said he was moving into the Brooklyn market because “the market’s moved up there. It’s a diversification for us. And it was an opportunity of size. So it made sense.” He declined to identify the specific site then and today Mr. Barnett declined to comment.

City Point is a 1.9-million-square-foot residential, retail and office development rising in Downtown Brooklyn. Phase three is comprised of a residential tower that sits atop the retail and office podium. The residential component is due for completion by 2020, according to a spokeswoman for developer Washington Square Partners, and the retail and office components are set for completion in 2016. The first phase of a 50,000-square-foot retail building, One DeKalb, was completed in February 2012.

Acadia didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment and Washington Square Partners’ spokeswoman said she couldn’t get anyone on the phone to discuss the phase three deal.

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-rea...klyns-tallest/

The Race to Be Brooklyn's Tallest

September 18, 2014

Quote:
Three Downtown resi buildings are leapfrogging each other on the path to becoming the borough's tallest (the construction workers sing "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better" all day). And this week brought news that Gary Barnett's Extell is under contract to build the most towering: City Point's Phase 3.

We walked the neighborhood with CPEX's Sean Kelly (whom we snapped mid-deal) and Tim King. Sean tells us a furlough in development during the downturn caused the developers all to come out of the ground at once.

Around the corner northwest from CPEX's HQ at 81 Willoughby, The Clarett Group and Equity Residential's Brooklyner became BK's tallest building when it opened in 2010. It owes that 531-foot feat to the air rights the owners bought from Albert Srour and his 81 Willoughby office property, the old Brooklyn Telephone Co, whose ornate historical facade we also snapped on our walk. Tim tells us Albert is renovating his property, one of the first elevator buildings in the borough.

And around the corner heading southwest from CPEX's office, Stahl's 388 Bridge stole the tall title when it opened in February. The condo/apartment combo bests the Brooklyner by two stories (climbing to 53) and 44 feet (reaching 575).

A block farther east at Duffield and Willoughby, AvalonBay's Avalon Willoughby Square is scheduled to open in spring 2016 at 57 stories and 595 feet. This one has girth, too; it'll pack in 823 units.

But City Point (bordering Willoughby, the Flatbush Extension, and Fulton) is destined for even greater heights. As the master developers, Acadia and Washington Square Partners delivered a 50k SF retail building on the north side of the site in 2012, and a five-story retail and office podium spanning the rest of the site is under construction (Century 21 and Alamo Drafthouse have signed on as anchors). Above it, BFC is building 19 stories of affordable units (peeking out on the right) and Brodsky is putting up 30 floors of market-rate (emerging on the left). We snapped the Willoughby/Flatbush corner, where Extell's is expected to rise to 700 feet, dwarfing all that came before.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 12:46 PM
New Yorker for life

An older google earth view showing the location for the potential face off...

(yes, I know it's Flatbush)

Brooklyn's newly crowned tallest, just up the block...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 23, 2014 at 1:08 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 11:55 PM
aka Studdedleather

Can't wait for more details on the last phase. From the beginning this was always going to be my favorite tower, so I hope Extell doesn't disappoint.

I do hope it'll be more than 700 FT as well. I want this to be a major tower for Brooklyn and 700FT will be eclipsed way sooner than say a 900+ tower.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 1:11 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRebel View Post
Can't wait for more details on the last phase. From the beginning this was always going to be my favorite tower, so I hope Extell doesn't disappoint.

I do hope it'll be more than 700 FT as well. I want this to be a major tower for Brooklyn and 700FT will be eclipsed way sooner than say a 900+ tower.

I don't think Barnett will disappoint us, even if it doesn't reach 900 ft. I'd be happy with an 800 footer.

Also, the site just to the north will be developed into a tower as well.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...11&postcount=8

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 3:56 AM

Extell is very busy in the city right now.

They also have a tower assemblage along E. 23rd street in Manhattan where demolition will soon begin (in addition to all the other sites around the city we already know about).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 4:25 AM
Editor

Exciting stuff for Brooklyn An 800 footer would look very nice in Brooklyn's skyline.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 2:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Exciting stuff for Brooklyn An 800 footer would look very nice in Brooklyn's skyline.
SHoP's tower is listed as 775 ft on the building permit, so it will probably top 800 ft. Barnett would likely try to get something higher, so his tower could boast better and unobstructed views at the top.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
An older google earth view showing the location for the potential face off...

(yes, I know it's Flatbush)

Here, I added the new tallest U/C Avalon Willoughby West and 420 Albee Sq. They are all visible on your pic.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 1:26 AM
New Yorker for life

I get the feeling we'll be adding more to that soon. But the Brooklyn cluster is only getting taller and more dense.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 3:34 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

today

no sign of the phase three tower yet,
but lots of work buzz around this giga-project

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 8:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
no sign of the phase three tower yet,
I don't even think Extell has a tower designed yet. But I'm sure it'll either be the tallest or next to tallest in Brooklyn.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 8:31 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wow this is pretty much the biggest skyscraper boom in NYC history. Lets hope the economy doesnt crater soon...

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 8:44 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Saw this from the roof of the Brooklyn 'Air' the other day. Impressive...way better than some shipping containers.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 8:17 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

city point schmitty point. im going to keep kickin it old skool. albee square.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 9:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
city point schmitty point. im going to keep kickin it old skool. albee square.
LOL, yeah. Hard to believe that "mall" used to stand there. I once worked at that Macys on Fulton and at Metrotech, both practically neighbors. I spent many days up and down those streets. I was initially a litle concerned about the major changes, but I think it's coming along nicely. The area can support a lot more density, with practically every subway line passing through, and the LIRR.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 9:29 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Wow this is pretty much the biggest skyscraper boom in NYC history. Lets hope the economy doesnt crater soon...
Essentially yes. Hundreds of high rises literally. The amount of high rises in the city was roughly 6500 by most estimates; including the CTBUH and Emporis.

With this current boom, that may rise to 7000 or more; if we are talking strictly 12 floors or greater. The city is probably there already as these numbers are a couple of years old.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 7:46 PM
New Yorker for life

From a lengthy piece on the CityPoint development...

http://commercialobserver.com/2014/1...at-city-point/

BY TOBIAS SALINGER
12/03/14

Quote:
The third and tallest tower onsite has yet to take shape, with another of the city’s prolific real estate companies potentially in the mix to make its first entrance to Brooklyn. But speculation has abounded, with reports circulating that the building could supplant other new towers in the area as the tallest building in the borough.

CO reported in September that Gary Barnett’s Extell Development Company is in contract to build the third tower, but representatives for the company declined to comment on the development rights purchase.

The projects’ partners declined to confirm or deny the arrangement, saying, “Phase 3 does not need to start construction until 2017, so we have a little time before we need to start the development process.”

Yet that tower will be just one of many that have popped up in the now-thriving downtown area. Mr. Travis pointed out a site across the street from City Point where Morris Bailey’s JEMB Realty has filed plans to build a 65-story tower at 420 Albee Square.

Since the 2004 rezoning, Downtown Brooklyn has added 8 million square feet of new development, including 5,200 residential units, over 1,000 new hotel rooms, nearly 250,000 square feet of office space and 625,000 square feet of retail, according to a 10-year report by the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership. After the public sector invested $400 million in infrastructure, the private sector has spent $4 billion on new development, figures from the report say.

“When we purchased it, we were in a site that was in the middle of a downtown that was beginning to transform,” Mr. Travis said. “We were very focused at first on the neighborhoods around Downtown Brooklyn. What we didn’t know was that Downtown Brooklyn would transform so fast.”

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 6:13 PM

Two City Point Residential Towers Will Top Out By Year's End

Friday, December 19, 2014, by Zoe Rosenberg
Quote:
Downtown Brooklyn's mixed-use mega-development City Point is now well into its second phase, which is bringing a 19-story and a 30-story residential tower to the area bounded by Flatbush Avenue Extension and Fulton Street. The smaller of the two COOKFOX-designed towers will be priced completely below market rate. Together, they will bring 565,000-square-feet of housing and 660,000-square-feet of retail space to Downtown Brooklyn. Field Condition reports that the retail component, which will include CityTarget and an Alamo Drafthouse, has topped out, with the residential towers following suit by year's end.

The tallest tower in the development will rise during phase three. It will be used for office space and housing. Phase one, which is wholly retail and anchored by Century 21, is complete. Phase two is expected to be complete in 2015.

Pictured, the east facade of the below-market rate tower, left, and the market rate tower, right

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/1...medium=twitter

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 2:56 PM
New Yorker for life

They're starting to confuse me a bit with these contenders in Brooklyn...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/high-ris...lyn-1421374375

By LANA BORTOLOT
Jan. 15, 2015

Quote:
Fueling the frenzy is BKLYN AIR, a 40-story luxury condominium tower at 309 Gold St., which opened in July and reached 75% occupancy in five months. MNS, the real-estate brokerage that marketed the building, also is in predevelopment planning for a 70-floor residential building at the corner of Gold and Willoughby streets.

The new project will “tower over 388 Bridge,” said Andrew Barrocas,
chief executive of MNS, referring to the 53-story condo-rental hybrid about four blocks away, which opened last June, and is currently Brooklyn’s tallest high-rise, according to its developer, the Stahl Organization.

The corner of Gold & Willoughby will be this tower, a park, and the smaller 33 story tower being planned. And only two blocks away from 388 Bridge.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 1:10 AM
aka Studdedleather

OMG!

Quote:
MNS, the real-estate brokerage that marketed the building, also is in predevelopment planning for a 70-floor residential building at the corner of Gold and Willoughby streets.
edit: I realize this is about Phase 3 and not a new tower. Either way I hope it'll reach new heights!

Last edited by NYRebel; Jan 17, 2015 at 4:15 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive