HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 2:50 PM
ハルウララ

If the entire point of this thread was ranking cities based on their raw population numbers there wouldn't be much point in having this discussion. This thread isn't "most populous" or "most important", it's most metropolitan. Saint John's Uptown looks pretty good comparatively against the likes of Brantford and Peterborough.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
If the entire point of this thread was ranking cities based on their raw population numbers there wouldn't be much point in having this discussion. This thread isn't "most populous" or "most important", it's most metropolitan. Saint John's Uptown looks pretty good comparatively against the likes of Brantford and Peterborough.
Actually, it’s Canadas next metropolitan area, not the most metropolitan now! And, population is quite important to the rankings. It’s not everything, but it’s very important!

Last edited by north 42; Feb 21, 2018 at 3:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
These sites seem to think highly of Halifax, I did notice no mention of Windsor in any article lol

http://www.escapehere.com/destinatio...see-in-canada/

https://www.tripsavvy.com/popular-ci...-visit-1481652

https://www.thetoptens.com/top-cities-canada/
Windsor does make one list I've noticed & is famous for at least being one thing

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:08 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Saint John is way below London, its not even close. London has half a million people! It’s comical how so many people like to downplay Ontario’s cities, and hype up much smaller cities in other provinces.

Calgary and Ottawa are smaller than American cities like Providence, Virginia Beach, and Jacksonville - yet are far more prominent, substantive, and successful places by virtue of being major Canadian cities vs. minor American ones (among other factors of course).

The Ontario effect is essentially the same, and so (to use a classic SSP-ism) its minor cities "punch below their weight" in national relevance, urban heft, etc. while Atlantic cities "punch above their weight".

The same thing can be seen the world over, where Swiss cities with a few hundred thousand people can have more global clout than Chinese megacities of 10 million. Population really isn't everything.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:19 PM

Realistically though, I feel that halifax will be the next major metropolitan area. It already exhibits some characteristics of a much bigger city.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Windsor does make one list I've noticed & is famous for at least being one thing

Video Link
Hey, that’s really funny!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I don't see why people think Victoria will become a next major Metro. Victoria is growing below the national average. It gets a decent number of people moving to it from other parts of the country due to it's pleasant climate but most of those people are retirees so they are not long for this world and are way past their kid bearing years.

Saskatoon is growing quickly but has a Long time to go before it even reaches London and/or KWC's current population. I would say it's KWC with London 2nd.
This is a bit of a dated view. The last census showed Victoria to be growing faster than both the national and BC averages, and that has only continued to ramp up. The city is now struggling to house all of the new arrivals exploding real estate prices, but unemployment remains rock bottom. Victoria could grow significantly if it can allow itself to do so.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
Before moving to Alberta I had the impression that Calgary was definitely the mega city in Alberta , but after living in both cities(Calgary first than Edmonton) I feel that Edmonton is easily the most underrated city in the country. In many aspects it feels bigger Than Calgary. Yes Calgary has the head offices and a larger downtown but after that I don’t really think it has Edmonton beat in any other category unless you count that it’s 1:45 closer to the mountains. Just my outside perspective.
Calgary just feels like the bigger, more cosmopolitan city to me, and we get much more international travel than Edmonton and have the far busier airport as a result. Outside of the downtown core Calgary and Edmonton do feel pretty similar, there isn't really anything in one that there isn't in the other. The proximity to the mountains is a lifestyle choice and makes it a no-brainer to me, it also adds quite a bit of tourism that Edmonton doesn't get.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:59 PM
arf

Based on this winter, if Victoria was remotely affordable I'd be up to moving given the right opportunity.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

20 years into the future, I reckon that the KWC metro (especially if lumped in with Guelph) will be double, perhaps triple, the population of Halifax or Victoria, notwithstanding how nice the latter two cities are. London will also handily beat these cities by a large margin for metro population. Victoria is the capital of the third largest province, and the largest city on Vancouver Island; whereas Halifax is the undisputed largest urban area east of Quebec City. It stands to reason that these places would be "on the radar" more than London or KWC.

Saskatoon....well that city seems to be poised for takeoff, despite Brad Wall.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Similar thread on the topic from last year: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=228981
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SaskScraper
When international artists do concerts in Canada, they usually do a loop through Western Canada doing stops in Vanc, Cal, Edmo, Sask, Winn. In the East usually stops in Tor, Ott, Mtl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
^ Oh please! International touring acts and concerts stop in more than 3 eastern cities. London, Windsor, And halifax get many acts as they move across the country!
The reason why i used the word 'usually' in my post is that there is of course an exception to every rule, It's just that more often than not, if there are a list of ten tour dates in Canada it's almost always Vanc, Cal, Edmo, Sask, Winn, Tor, Ott, Mtl plus with a couple other locations from other cities too.
For example:

http://www.stevemillerband.com/tour.html

http://www.hahaha.com/en/kevinhart

http://www.stomponline.com/tickets_tour.html

http://www.rodstewart.com/2017/10/30...anada-in-2018/

I really really hope that once that Maritimes arena is built that they will get at least a portion of the tours that go to Canada as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian
Calgary just feels like the bigger, more cosmopolitan city to me, and we get much more international travel than Edmonton and have the far busier airport as a result. Outside of the downtown core Calgary and Edmonton do feel pretty similar, there isn't really anything in one that there isn't in the other. The proximity to the mountains is a lifestyle choice and makes it a no-brainer to me, it also adds quite a bit of tourism that Edmonton doesn't get.
I think a couple of the reasons Calgary over shadows Edmonton in the eyes of Canadians is that Calgary has the AC and Westjet hub at YYC and Calgary has the Stampede, a lot more of the head offices and of course with things like the Olympics Calgary has more of an international recognition.

For me Edmonton has always been the place where my parents would take me for weekends to visit family, go to WestEdMall/World Water Park/Galaxyland etc.
These days Edmonton's arts scene is quite prominent with one of the World's largest Fringe festivals, If only one city in Alberta is on a concert tour date it's almost always Edmonton.
Plus Sports like World Track & Field, or Canada's only host for World University Games, a host for Commonwealth games, FIFA Women's World Cup, Oilers & Eskimos Dynasties etc. Edmonton has quietly done it's thing but succeeding to punch above it's weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport
Saskatoon....well that city seems to be poised for takeoff, despite Brad Wall.
Brad Wall is no longer premier of Saskatchewan fyi

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Brad Wall is no longer premier of Saskatchewan fyi

localtvwhnt

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Lord Cornwallis, is that you???

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Edmonton just isn't an international city. It's a Canadian city.

A measure of global cities:

Alpha: Toronto (same as Chicago and Los Angeles)
Alpha: Very important world cities that link major economic regions and states into the world economy

Beta: Montreal, Vancouver (same as Philadelphia)
Beta minus: Calgary (same as Denver and Seattle)
Beta: These are important world cities that are instrumental in linking their region or state into the world economy

Gamma minus: Edmonton (same as Orlando and Pittsburgh)
Gamma: These can be world cities linking smaller regions or states into the world economy, or important world cities whose major global capacity is not in advanced producer services

Globalization and World Cities Research Network, The World According to GaWC 2016
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2016t.html

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 8:12 PM

Yeah, as I said above Edmonton is more in line with Winnipeg than Ottawa/Calgary in terms of stature IMO.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Calgary and Ottawa are smaller than American cities like Providence, Virginia Beach, and Jacksonville - yet are far more prominent, substantive, and successful places by virtue of being major Canadian cities vs. minor American ones (among other factors of course).
Toronto will never live up to Jacksonville, let alone Calgary or Ottawa.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
20 years into the future, I reckon that the KWC metro (especially if lumped in with Guelph) will be double, perhaps triple, the population of Halifax or Victoria.
I wouldn't be surprised to see KWC keep pulling ahead of Halifax, but presuming Halifax continues its current annual growth rate (1.5 or 1.6 percent annually), KWC would have to immediately improve its own growth rate from about 1.7 percent to 4.5 percent, every year for the next 20 years, in order to double Halifax by 2038. It would have to blow way past the current growth champion, Saskatoon (2.8 percent) and keep that up for two straight decades

Victoria's growing more slowly recently, 1 percent and change, but still.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:31 AM

London, Ontario? The place with a shrinking population, older population, and a high ratio of residents who don't have jobs?

London reminds me of a bigger version of my hometown Regina, but Regina has had a resource boom to hitch itself onto and last time I checked there isn't much of that stuff in and around London, Ontario to boost it up. I am not sure where folks see where this surge in London is coming from, aside from the University and related research and health jobs it spins off I don't see much else that sustains that city and propels it as a job creator. Jobs is what creates booming Metros. No jobs. No boom.

London young adults all keep moving to KWC and Toronto for jobs and opportunity once they are done school.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:36 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Toronto will never live up to Jacksonville, let alone Calgary or Ottawa.
I think I missed something epic here and I'm jealous as lime jello. Any chance you could point out where this all started?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada