HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 2:08 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousmcd View Post
It would be a huge disappointment to have waited out the last fifty years of studies and blunders to get something that flows with the rest of traffic like a streetcar. There are reasons that our old streetcar was dismantled that would still pose a problem. Perhaps the most major problem is it would slow down the rest of traffic and eliminate parking spots. The streetcar they have in Toronto has this problem.

If Winnipeg is going to invest in rapid transit, it needs to be on its own separate right of way.

It should either be on a different thoroughfare or above/below the ground. This way it can have a strictly positive impact on traffic and surrounding business instead of a cause of constant problems and headaches.
We were close to get something underground, and they were testing it too, but after that, nothing happened.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 5:36 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
the shelters at the Shapes/Futurshop/Petland etc. on Pembina have been wrecked.
By 'wrecked' do you mean intentionally demolished/moved by WT, not some fcukhead who hates transit shelters?

Last edited by LilZebra; Jun 5, 2007 at 3:09 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 2:43 PM

Quote:
It would be a huge disappointment to have waited out the last fifty years of studies and blunders to get something that flows with the rest of traffic like a streetcar. There are reasons that our old streetcar was dismantled that would still pose a problem. Perhaps the most major problem is it would slow down the rest of traffic and eliminate parking spots. The streetcar they have in Toronto has this problem.

If Winnipeg is going to invest in rapid transit, it needs to be on its own separate right of way.

It should either be on a different thoroughfare or above/below the ground. This way it can have a strictly positive impact on traffic and surrounding business instead of a cause of constant problems and headaches.
Any transit plan for Winnipeg should have both a streetcar network for the downtown core and a rapid transit network for the whole city. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Here's a rapid transit plan that I made that fits with streetcar
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...&t=k&z=12&om=1

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 2:46 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

anyone seen the news stands mounted on the sidewalks on the graham street bus corridor? looks like theyre intended to straddle the newspaper vending machines...
ugly as shit

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 8:43 PM
Oppressive optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8 View Post
Any transit plan for Winnipeg should have both a streetcar network for the downtown core and a rapid transit network for the whole city. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Here's a rapid transit plan that I made that fits with streetcar
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...&t=k&z=12&om=1
Oooh, nice job. Something I would say is that it lacks clarity; I could see a lot of people being confused by it. I made a similar map that also includes a downtown streetcar and an outer rapid transit system that I find to be simpler.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...9f0c92128&z=11

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 10:37 PM

The Monorail Cat remix...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpMQTbt3kgM

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 5:24 PM
Oppressive optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
That was neither constructive nor funny...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 4:04 PM
What could go wrong?

Manitoba News Release

July 11, 2007

WINNIPEG BACK ON TOP FOR 2007 COMMUTER CHALLENGE
- - -
Ministers Congratulate Manitobans For Supporting Commuter Challenge

Winnipeg has regained the national Commuter Challenge title for the population category of half a million to one million, Science, Technology, Energy and Mines Minister Jim Rondeau and Healthy Living Minister Kerri Irvin-Ross announced today.

"I congratulate everyone who participated in this year's challenge," said Rondeau. "Manitobans have consistently showed an awareness of and concern for climate change issues."

"Thousands of Manitobans participated by walking, biking or utilizing some form of environmentally-friendly transportation,"
said Irvin-Ross. "Using this type of transportation can mean environmentally healthier communities as well as more physically fit Manitobans."

Rondeau noted it was a close race between Winnipeg and Ottawa for the title but Winnipeg prevailed. The minister said Manitoba had a strong showing with participation from 21 communities across the province and a total of more than 4,900 participants.

Provincial employee participation increased substantially with more than 1,150 participating in the challenge, a 45 per cent increase from last year.  The province received top national honours among provincial workplaces over 5,000 employees.

"Winnipeg is once again the Commuter Challenge capital of Canada for our population category," said Sara Perlmutter, provincial challenge co-ordinator for Resource Conservation Manitoba (RCM). "RCM hopes that Winnipeg's top national finish will send a positive message to community leaders that choosing to walk, cycle, carpool or take transit to and from work or school needs to become a better option for Winnipeggers."

The Commuter Challenge raises awareness of the importance of creating a safe, convenient, friendly and healthy environment that makes alternative forms of transportation an option for everyone. It is centered on an annual national event where communities and workplaces across Canada compete for the highest percentage of participation during Canadian Environment Week.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 5:32 PM

look! the city even got free research!
now lay the bloody commuter paths!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 2:10 PM

Quote:
That was neither constructive nor funny...
Oh yes it was, because we were discussing Aerobus technology in here...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2007, 11:11 PM
Starring as himself

There was an article in today's Toronto Star about streetcars that mentioned this recording in the CBC Archives of Mayor George Sharpe proclaiming the end of the streetcar era in Winnipeg in 1955. There is a discussion with the famous City bureaucrat D.I. MacDonald afterwards.

This article is on a similar topic.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 11:22 PM

Sorry if this has been answered already, but are there any plans to build an LRT system in Winnipeg? I think something similar to Calgary's but obviously tailored to Winnipeg could work well in Winnipeg.

Kris

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 4:15 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
Sorry if this has been answered already, but are there any plans to build an LRT system in Winnipeg? I think something similar to Calgary's but obviously tailored to Winnipeg could work well in Winnipeg.

Kris
there has been alota studies done to the point that we could built one......
we allmost had a leg for a brt to lrt line set up but when katz came in he killed it even had funding

but the city last summer bought up a old rail line in the north part of the city for lrt plan and have made it a trail for the time being.....

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 11:11 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
there has been alota studies done to the point that we could built one......
we allmost had a leg for a brt to lrt line set up but when katz came in he killed it even had funding

but the city last summer bought up a old rail line in the north part of the city for lrt plan and have made it a trail for the time being.....
Hey, where did you hear that? Do you have a link to a source I can read? I know they are building a trail there, but I didn't hear anything about an LRT in the plans.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 11:29 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Hey, where did you hear that? Do you have a link to a source I can read? I know they are building a trail there, but I didn't hear anything about an LRT in the plans.
i belive mr katz said that it could be used as a future coridore

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 1:20 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Just last week, I went around across that old abandoned rail line around Springfield and Raleigh/Gateway that was being converted into a bike trail. It was just about being done. That line does have a huge potential in being an LRT system one day.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Just last week, I went around across that old abandoned rail line around Springfield and Raleigh/Gateway that was being converted into a bike trail. It was just about being done. That line does have a huge potential in being an LRT system one day.
Yeah, maybe like 50 or 100 years from now. By then I'll be doing 'angel duty', trying to reunite families that were separated in some way... That's how I'm gonna spend the next 200-500 years after my time is up. By that time also metro Winnipeg's population will have reached 3 million or more.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 5:04 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Yeah, maybe like 50 or 100 years from now. By then I'll be doing 'angel duty', trying to reunite families that were separated in some way... That's how I'm gonna spend the next 200-500 years after my time is up. By that time also metro Winnipeg's population will have reached 3 million or more.
...well... to the cryo-chamber we go!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 3:26 AM
ABOVE people like you

LRT should be RIP

Let's set things straight. The LRT costs a small fortune to construct, Winnipeg does not have any extra funds to get anything like this off the ground. Anytime the government or city is pressured they commission another study, that buys them the necessary time before their elected out.
It's not on any distant horizon, I believe that it is no closer than 12 years + off if not longer.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 8:40 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB-MAN View Post
Let's set things straight. The LRT costs a small fortune to construct, Winnipeg does not have any extra funds to get anything like this off the ground. Anytime the government or city is pressured they commission another study, that buys them the necessary time before their elected out.
It's not on any distant horizon, I believe that it is no closer than 12 years + off if not longer.
I would suggest that your assessment is fairly accurate.

The city wants an LRT system.. but the province of Manitoba can't afford it... with its current economy... although I think a P3 alternative would be a possible solution... at least on heavy traffic lines.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan