HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 11:57 PM
Meh

Cool AUSTIN | Mexic-Arte Museum | 140 FT | 8 FLOORS | Proposed

This is planned for 419 Congress Avenue at the museum's current location adjacent to the Frost Bank Tower. This isn't the first time they've said they want to go vertical. A few years ago they had another plan for a 7-story building.

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat...um-austin.html
Quote:
FREE: mexic-arte museum, austin

conceived by the mexican and US based firm, FREE (Fernando Romero EnterprisE) have designed a new museum that will showcase mexican art in downtown austin, texas. the mexic-arte museum has presented the design of its future venue. the new art center aims to uphold a mexican presence and sense of identity by representing itself as a world-class cultural institution.

the design is derived from elements of circularity found in mexican culture such as the aztec calendar and the pelota game. the circular structure is anchored by a central plaza that serves as the main entry. this iconographic silhouette shapes the building's identity without compromising the structural and programmatic efficiency of the floor plans. the rear of the structure is extended to contain the service entries and loading docks.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Oct 20, 2013 at 3:35 AM. Reason: Added thread icon

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 12:02 AM
Meh

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1669964/...tec-calendar#1
Quote:
A Museum of Mexican Art, Inspired By The Aztec Calendar

FERNANDO ROMERO PROPOSES AN ICONIC DESIGN FOR MEXIC-ARTE, INSPIRED BY DISC-SHAPED OBJECTS FROM MEXICAN CULTURE.

By KELSEY CAMPBELL-DOLLAGHAN

Fernando Romero, the young architect behind the glittering $70 million dollar Soumaya Museum in Mexico City, recently unveiled a design for the Austin-based Museum of Mexican and Mexican-American Art. His proposal for Mexic-Arte is, like that of the Soumaya, based on a simple sculptural form clad in an unusual material (dimpled glass and mirrored tiles, respectively).

Romero’s design for Mexic-Arte is oversized in comparison to the size of the Museum’s collection. To give you some context as to the size of each institution, the Soumaya Museum was built to house the 66,000-piece collection of Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim. Mexic-Arte, by contrast, has a strong but small collection of 1,500 pieces. The two buildings, though, are more similar in terms of size. Soumaya clocks in at a massive 170,000 square feet. The proposed Mexic-Arte design is around 54,000.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 12:05 AM
Meh

This says they want to lease part of their space for commercial office space to help pay for the building.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...-new-do/nRnN3/
Quote:
Updated: 5:04 a.m. Monday, April 30, 2012 | Posted: 10:29 p.m. Sunday, April 29, 2012
Mexic-Arte seeking $10 million from city for new downtown building

By Jeanne Claire van Ryzin
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saying that they want to bring a $30 million iconic building to a prominent downtown corner, backers of Mexic-Arte Museum are asking the City of Austin for $10 million in bond money to be included in the November bond election.

"We could build a plain box, but we have the chance to build an iconic structure that will drive tourism and be a landmark for the city," said John Hogg, president of the museum board.

Mexic-Arte occupies a three-story building on the southeast corner of Congress Avenue and Fifth Street.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 1:25 AM
Meh

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Also the 5th & Brazos Tower will easily poke up behind the Westin. Also if the Mexic-Arte Museum ever gets going, they're building (140 feet tall) will show up next to the Frost Bank Tower. It should be about the height of the Littlefield Building.
Ah Kevin....you had to mention that hamster wheel of a disaster design for the Mexic-Arte Nauseum. I was hoping everyone including the people proposing that monstrosity had given up on it.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 12:36 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I loved that design and hope that it isn't given up on.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I loved that design and hope that it isn't given up on.
If I recall, I'm the only one here who hates it..

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 3:05 AM

^^No, I hated it, too. It looked like something you'd see on the Las Vegas Strip. I'd be OK with it somewhere else, but not on Congress Avenue - especially right next to Frost.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 3:37 AM

Make that three of us. I think it would be an atrocious eye-sore.

I also think that a Mexican art museum on the Main St. of Texas is a little offensive. How about an American art museum instead?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post

I also think that a Mexican art museum on the Main St. of Texas is a little offensive. How about an American art museum instead?
That's like really stupid. I'm sorry. Is the Art Museum that is there now still offensive to you?

But on the design itself.. I'm one of those who like it. Its cool. Do something different for a change... I can see how annoying it would be if a lot of weird designs start filling up the area but one cool/weird thing like that I'm okay with.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 5:05 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:

I'm fine if you don't like the design, but can you please steer clear of the racist crap? Thanks a lot.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 10:52 PM

Come on. It's not racist at all. That's a cop-out and you know it. There's Mexicans of all races, just like there's Americans of all races. My criticism is only about nationality and culture. Texas (actually, my ancestors) fought and won a war against Mexico for this piece of land. Sometimes, it just feels like people (especially in Austin) feel guilty about being American (and Texan) and are afraid to be proud of it. So, we capitulate and resign; like we don't have a culture of our own to celebrate, so we celebrate others'. I see it like France and England. They've only maintained their individual identities and cultures all of these years by being incredibly pro-themselves. These two countries are largely the same race. So it's not about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Is the Art Museum that is there now still offensive to you?
A little bit. But it's less obvious and belligerent than their current plan.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Come on. It's not racist at all. That's a cop-out and you know it. There's Mexicans of all races, just like there's Americans of all races. My criticism is only about nationality and culture. Texas (actually, my ancestors) fought and won a war against Mexico for this piece of land. Sometimes, it just feels like people (especially in Austin) feel guilty about being American (and Texan) and are afraid to be proud of it. So, we capitulate and resign; like we don't have a culture of our own to celebrate, so we celebrate others'. I see it like France and England. They've only maintained their individual identities and cultures all of these years by being incredibly pro-themselves. These two countries are largely the same race. So it's not about that.

As a Hispanic raised in Texas with family from Mexico I am proud to be both and I've never even met anyone ashamed of Texas... except those that move here to California (which are the annoying ones). The hell I care about who fought who a hundred years ago. I respect all cultures and appreciate them all. If there were a Museum dedicated to Chinese culture I'd very much appreciate it and accept the diversity that it would bring to the City. Texas is in and of itself a proud State. But you've shown no rational reason to be offended (not even a little bit) by a Mexican Museum that celebrates a Culture that has very much influenced Texas. Are you offended by Tex-Mex food?

Also keep in mind that Mexican Culture also celebrates pre-Columbian native cultures. The Aztec gods, the mayan calendars... etc. It doesn't even have to do with anything about Texas-Mexican War, nationalities or whatever else it is you're talking about. In fact, many of the places that highlight Mexican culture give much emphasis on the indigenous cultures from pre-colonized periods. The fact that you criticize it based on the culture irks some of us proud Texans just the same. I can't wait until there is a more conscious-awareness in Texas politics and natives. I'd like to see a bit more diversity and acceptance of all beliefs, cultures, etc without any reproach or controversies of any kind.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
As a Hispanic raised in Texas with family from Mexico I am proud to be both and I've never even met anyone ashamed of Texas... except those that move here to California (which are the annoying ones). The hell I care about who fought who a hundred years ago. I respect all cultures and appreciate them all. If there were a Museum dedicated to Chinese culture I'd very much appreciate it and accept the diversity that it would bring to the City. Texas is in and of itself a proud State. But you've shown no rational reason to be offended (not even a little bit) by a Mexican Museum that celebrates a Culture that has very much influenced Texas. Are you offended by Tex-Mex food?

Also keep in mind that Mexican Culture also celebrates pre-Columbian native cultures. The Aztec gods, the mayan calendars... etc. It doesn't even have to do with anything about Texas-Mexican War, nationalities or whatever else it is you're talking about.
Amen to this!

Why the hell can't we be proud of all of our community and their diverse heritages?

This dude talking as if "Texan" is a single monolithic culture clearly has his head somewhere that isn't anatomically do-able. I mean, really, Texas is a very diverse place with people from many many backgrounds. We can celebrate all of those backgrounds at once. Having a museum dedicated to one single piece of those backgrounds does a lot to raise up the subaltern into the view of the dominant (which Syndic obviously very much is) group and for them to recognize that distinct history. You may have a certain identity, Syndic, but that does not mean that we all share that identity.

Can we not have a museum to celebrate the contributions to broader society from the LGBT community? Under your logic, that'd be a big fat no because, well, 95% of the population according to most leading scholarly studies isn't LGBT and since we only want to recognize the dominant piece of society you can clearly just decide to whitewash my contributions to its culture. Maybe I should go back and delete all of my posts, then, since I clearly don't matter. Maybe migol should delete his account, too, since Mexican-Americans and Tejanos (who fought for freedom from Mexico just as much as Anglo Texans did) don't matter. Maybe our African American brothers and sisters should forget about singing the songs that are unique to their people and recalling their unique history of enslavement, and we should all just remember that the south shall rise again and its positive conceptions of old southern life.

No. I. Don't. Think So.

The simple fact of the matter is that the dominant group comes to its perspective from a position of power. Power that affords it the ability in life to imbue most cultural organizations with its own agenda and perspective. What do you think museums like the Smithsonian are? They are museums that, although they may have exhibits or shows on minority struggles and victories and culture, cater overwhelmingly to the majority Anglo American audience. Given that context, there is absolutely nothing wrong creating distinct cultural amenities for all people to enjoy to educate people of and celebrate minority contributions unpolluted by an Anglo point of view and presentation.

Quote:
What are you trying to say here? Do you have images in your mind of an angry black woman with three kids on welfare? Because that's exactly what it sounds like. What's really belligerent is your attempt to whitewash the contributions of minority communities to our broader culture from history by depriving them/us of cultural expression venues.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 6:42 AM
Meh

On the whole cultural art museum argument, I feel like having an American cultural art museum in the middle of an American city's downtown full of American architecture is kind of like liking your own post on Facebook. Do we really need American cultural art museums that pile on more of the same? What I mean is, what makes a museum intersting at all is that it is a collection of something that you might not otherwise recognize from day to day. They capture something different, foreign and rare besides merely educating, so that you can stop and stare. But we're Americans, we're surrounded by American culture, history and art. And of course we need American cultural art museums, and we do have them. It's just that they tend to focus on a smaller more particular part of our culture or art rather than all of it, such as a museum that showcases a single artist's work. We have a few of those in Austin already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic
I see it like France and England. They've only maintained their individual identities and cultures all of these years by being incredibly pro-themselves.
Except that the Louvre and the rest of their museums feature artwork from artists who aren't English or French. Vincent Van Gogh for instance who was Dutch or Leonardo de Vinci who was Italian. And not to mention all the Egyptian and Chinese art spread all over the world.

Anyway, how about that JW Marriott???

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 7:26 PM

I had a whole response typed up and then my computer crashed. To me, the point is the location. It's the Main Street of Texas. If it were anywhere else, it wouldn't seem necessarily out of place. I, along with most other Texans, don't identify with that culture, so IMO it would be a little bit misleading. When tourists come here, I think they want to visit museums about here, not about some other place. Please stop with the straw men and attempts at shaming. Hispanics should be respectful and acknowledge that non-Hispanics have culture, too, and Texas has largely been a non-Hispanic culture/society and that's okay! Honor it! Celebrate that difference. We don't have to assimilate and homogenize everything into a pan-Hispania. Moreover, just because you're a non-Hispanic white American doesn't mean you're an "Anglo". That's ignorant. Germans are not "Anglo". Dutch are not "Anglo". French are not "Anglo". Yes, we all speak English, but that doesn't mean we are English. A more accurate descriptor would be Germanic or Celto-Germanic.

Kevin, if you want to move this conversation to the/a museum thread, I'd be perfectly okay with that.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 7:52 PM

Quote:
I had a whole response typed up and then my computer crashed. To me, the point is the location. It's the Main Street of Texas. If it were anywhere else, it wouldn't seem necessarily out of place. I, along with most other Texans, don't identify with that culture, so IMO it would be a little bit misleading. When tourists come here, I think they want to visit museums about here, not about some other place. Please stop with the straw men and attempts at shaming. Hispanics should be respectful and acknowledge that non-Hispanics have culture, too, and Texas has largely been a non-Hispanic culture/society and that's okay! Honor it! Celebrate that difference. We don't have to assimilate and homogenize everything into a pan-Hispania. Moreover, just because you're a non-Hispanic white American doesn't mean you're an "Anglo". That's ignorant. Germans are not "Anglo". Dutch are not "Anglo". French are not "Anglo". Yes, we all speak English, but that doesn't mean we are English. A more accurate descriptor would be Germanic or Celto-Germanic.

Kevin, if you want to move this conversation to the/a museum thread, I'd be perfectly okay with that.
You are so incredibly ignorant about Texan history it isn't even funny and are also incredibly ignorant of modern day racial categories (just fyi: in Texas, anything that is non-Hispanic white is Anglo, regardless of previously operable racial and ethnic categories).

Non-Hispanic whites are only around 44% of our population now, just fyi. Hispanics alone should be a larger group by 2018. So when that happens by your own logic white Texans should just shut up about their cultural heritage, because most Texans would not identify with their cultural background and should, in language similar to your own, get over it. But absolutely nobody would think that that would be okay. Nobody.

And the only person here putting up a straw man is you, with your "you people are advocating for Texas to become pan-Hispanic." Hint: no-one here was. Hispanics have a much longer history in this state than Anglos (recall current modern day definitions of that word), and Hispanics who are native to Texas as a land mass (Tejanos) also fought for independence from Mexico for very distinct reasons than Anglos during our independence. Maybe you should go back to primary school and re-take Texas History (oh... wait... our public education system and requirements in that class are now so bad that even if you DID do that you wouldn't learn those key points).

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
You are so incredibly ignorant about Texan history it isn't even funny and are also incredibly ignorant of modern day racial categories (just fyi: in Texas, anything that is non-Hispanic white is Anglo, regardless of previously operable racial and ethnic categories).

Non-Hispanic whites are only around 44% of our population now, just fyi. Hispanics alone should be a larger group by 2018. So when that happens by your own logic white Texans should just shut up about their cultural heritage, because most Texans would not identify with their cultural background and should, in language similar to your own, get over it. But absolutely nobody would think that that would be okay. Nobody.

And the only person here putting up a straw man is you, with your "you people are advocating for Texas to become pan-Hispanic." Hint: no-one here was. Hispanics have a much longer history in this state than Anglos (recall current modern day definitions of that word), and Hispanics who are native to Texas as a land mass (Tejanos) also fought for independence from Mexico for very distinct reasons than Anglos during our independence. Maybe you should go back to primary school and re-take Texas History (oh... wait... our public education system and requirements in that class are now so bad that even if you DID do that you wouldn't learn those key points).
You're so offended by an opposing opinion that you have to resort to insults and vitriol. That's how many "Anglos" are starting to feel in Texas; like we can't have our own identity and culture without Hispanics getting offended about it. I know it would be convenient for you, but stop assuming anything about my knowledge of Texas history. You don't know me. I love history. The fact is that Hispanics have been a huge minority for most of the last 200 years. Most Texans don't identify with Hispanic culture. It doesn't represent them. When/if Hispanics ever become the majority here in Texas, more than ever, white non-Hispanics will not be allowed to celebrate their heritage in a significant way. We'll still be called racists. My friend is from the Rio Grande Valley and recently moved back there from the Valley. There's been an incredible level of white flight there and it's pretty much Northern Mexico now. There's a lot of intolerance towards her because she's an "Anglo" (as you ignorantly like to call us).

Reconquista Mexican-Americans love to point out the "longer history" of Hispanics in this state (as if it gives them some sort of right to it, outside the bounds of law), even if that history was actually rather limited and paltry, not to mention practically suspended after the Texas Revolution. Americans won a war against Mexico. We won this state. You're damn right Mexicans should get over it. If you come here, you come here on our terms, as was decided in the Treaties of Velasco. What I want to know is why Mexican-Americans are so aggressive about honoring their culture at the expense of everyone else's?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 9:14 PM

Quote:
You're so offended by an opposing opinion that you have to resort to insults and vitriol. That's how many "Anglos" are starting to feel in Texas; like we can't have our own identity and culture without Hispanics getting offended about it.
No! No no no! What I said was this: We LOVE cultural amenities. We want cultural amenities of many different stripes. I used your own logic to point out that once Hispanics became the majority, that your argument would mean that we should give up on having major cultural outlets depicting Anglo Texan history, and specifically said that that would not be acceptable at all by any means whatsoever, and by the same token, it is not acceptable at all by any means whatsoever for you to also say that because Hispanics are a minority that there cannot be major cultural amenities depicting their history as well. We want all cultural amenities to be welcome. The reason that I called your point of view racist is because you don't want a specific type of cultural amenity depicting minorities to be welcome at all despite the fact that they are the second largest group in this state, with a longer history, a history that is vibrant, a history that is integral even to the current Anglo culture within this state, and a history that has been ignored by people like you for far too long.

You want to say that their history is paltry? You're absolutely wrong - and I say that as a very proud Anglo. I want to see all of our culture's pieces flourish, whereas you seem to only want Anglos to flourish, and that, sir, is what makes your point of view disgusting.

Quote:
What I want to know is why Mexican-Americans are so aggressive about honoring their culture at the expense of everyone else's?
Why do you have to turn this into a zero-sum game!? Nobody wants Hispanic culture to be honored at the expense of white people. Nobody. We want all of us to be honored and placed within the historical and cultural context. For too long Afro and Hispanic cultural contributions to Texas have been ignored, and that is very much an oversight that needs to be rectified. We have many many cultural outlets dedicated to the rugged west of Texas and the contributions of Anglos to Texas, and I want to keep those and support them to the best of my ability (see things such as the Bob Bullock Museum among many others), but we have very very few that tell the subaltern stories of our distinct minority groups as well. They've always been here, so please do not tell me that providing their points of view is at the expense of dominant Anglos.

I'd also like to point out that German Americans have many cultural amenities here in Texas, but your own logic and definition of Anglo (which is wrong), would suggest that because they aren't the majority (nowhere near being such, I might add) that those cultural amenities should disappear because, as you put it, most Texans don't identify with their unique experience and so that experience shouldn't be told. I have the feeling that you'd very much disagree with the expropriation of your logic in this instance because Germans are white, whereas Hispanics are not (though I will add that the United States federal government defines Hispanics as white Americans) thereby putting into distinct relief your awful ethnocentric attitude against Hispanics.

P.S. I've been to the Valley many times and have never, ever felt as if I wasn't welcome.

Last edited by wwmiv; Oct 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 12:13 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I went back and read the replies about the museum. Hmmm...

I think I see where Syndic was coming from with his first 1 or 2 posts, but the people who jumped on him saw it differently. I think Syndic has a problem with it being Mexican, not hispanic. If it were a Tejano museum, which is hispanic, but distinctly Texan, he'd be more supportive of it.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's how I understood him.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin