HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 8:45 PM

Well it does sound like Richardson is actively working on something for the plaza – I wonder if the glass atrium from last year's renders is more than a pipe dream.

And yeah, the Fairmont looks like shit.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 8:47 PM

^^^People calling into CJOB today to complain about the re-opening of Portage and Main. They believe it should be an election issue this Fall and will not vote for Bowman.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
^^^People calling into CJOB today to complain about the re-opening of Portage and Main. They believe it should be an election issue this Fall and will not vote for Bowman.
Those people really need to reevaluate their lives if this is is expected to have such a huge impact in their lives.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Nice to see that some degree of ambition is still involved... if architectural and engineering work is in the 1.5M+ range, then I expect a complete budget of approaching 15M+... not bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Something is definitely needed in the "plaza" at the Richardson Building. The empty space is depressing. The Fairmont needs to give the exterior a major facelift.
Hotels generally lend their names to franchisees... so I'm not sure the owners will put much effort into that.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 10:45 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Those people really need to reevaluate their lives if this is is expected to have such a huge impact in their lives.
Apparently a SHOCKING amount of people live in the south, commute 1 hour every morning/evening to the north via downtown, and adding 30 seconds to that commute is the worst thing ever considered.

And to these people the common factor of why their lives are annoying after their 2 hour daily grind of driving, isn't that they're going from their suburban home to their suburban job, no no... it's that there's too damn many people walkin' around their freeway!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 1:49 AM

Wow, shocking that people who call into radio talk shows are opposed to something.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 2:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Nice to see that some degree of ambition is still involved... if architectural and engineering work is in the 1.5M+ range, then I expect a complete budget of approaching 15M+... not bad.

Hotels generally lend their names to franchisees... so I'm not sure the owners will put much effort into that.
Winnipeg is the black sheep in the Fairmont portfolio.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:14 AM

Quote:
It's really too bad (for them and for us) that they didn't buy the Fort Garry at some point. It's clear that should be our Fairmont. While the Albo's have done a decent job running it – there's clearly some places that investment is lacking.

That being said, even though that it may appear to be their black sheep, it probably still makes a killing for them – it's one of the busiest and most "premiere" business/event venues in the city.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 5:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
How much would you wager that rrskylar and Riverman were amongst those callers?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:54 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Don't forget coryb

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 3:23 PM

Quote:
That's funny. So many callers were convinced that opening the corner would cause mayhem and that a number of deaths would surely occur. I'm not sure why they think this one intersection would dramatically alter the flow of traffic downtown as it is not an expressway. Once you get through P&M you're bound to get a red light at the next intersection anyway.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:45 PM

Yeah, the call-in show people all get their info from the same conspiracy theory websites.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 6:13 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
No, not me. I don't give a fuck. Why would I?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Well, they've recently invested a chunk into it, and it remains a strong cenference venue and until soon, NHL destination...

Something should be done about the exterior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Yeah, the call-in show people all get their info from the same conspiracy theory websites.
You and I are agreeing more than normal these days

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Well, they've recently invested a chunk into it, and it remains a strong cenference venue and until soon, NHL destination...

You and I are agreeing more than normal these days
I know - I'm psyched!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Well, they've recently invested a chunk into it, and it remains a strong conference venue and until soon, NHL destination...

Quite similar to the Queen Elizabeth in Montréal. Just an early 70s version of modernism rather than a late 50s one. It's not awful as modern goes. Less offensive by far than the Radisson or the Darth Vader at Portage and Donald.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 2:27 PM

Wasn't there a conceptual rendering posted recently that showed the conference level at the Fairmont extended south right up to Portage E.? The idea was to build it right over the current dropoff/pickup lane.

I think that would be a nice change for the corner... it would give the Fairmont room to bring in the amenities expected of a high end hotel, and it would also shore up the street wall a bit on Portage E., and perhaps modernize the hotel's appearance a bit. It would also cut down the size of the windswept Lombard Place plaza. I guess that wouldn't do much for the rooms themselves which are a little ho-hum by Fairmont standards.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 2:32 PM

^I believe you may be thinking of the P&M renders that showed a new atrium & access to concourse in front of Richardson.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 2:36 PM

^ I could have sworn there was a rendering recently that showed basically the 2nd floor of the Fairmont extended south to come right up to Portage E., with the lane in place underneath. I can't remember where I saw it, though.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 2:43 PM

Interesting, don't remember seeing that. Perhaps in the P&M video from one of the design idea entries the city received?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan