HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 6:36 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
So what was with the penalty against the Montreal Alouettes offensive lineman on the Als TD versus the Esks last night. TD was negated and Als settled for a field goal.

I'm not sure what the ref said...even the announcers were confused...something about the offensive lineman helping the running back into the end zone?

There was also an absolute bush league mistake by the official in charge of the clock. Inside the 3-minute warning at which point the time on the game clock and 20-second clock should not commence until the ref blows the whistle, the time on the game clock counted off 10 - 15 seconds before the 20-second clock commenced.

Even off-concussed Matt Dunigan noticed this while Rod Black was his usual clueless self. The mistake was never corrected by the officials. Just bush league!

I guess it didn't matter as the Eskies got a first down anyways and would have run out the clock even with an extra 10 seconds but what happens in the game where the opposition should have more time for a game-tying or game-winning drive following a punt?
He grabbed his player and pulled him into the endzone, you are not allowed to do that.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 7:38 PM

Sounds like the Bombers are going to unveil a statue of Cal Murphy in Sept. I was lucky to have beers with him on a few occasions - he had some great stories and oh man was he blunt. Good job Bombers!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...432453133.html

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 7:48 PM

It's official, Randy Ambrosie is the new commissioner

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/07/05/canadi...-commissioner/

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's official, Randy Ambrosie is the new commissioner

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/07/05/canadi...-commissioner/
Just heard him interviewed on The Fan/Prime Time Sports in Toronto. Good interview and he sounds 1000 times more excited than Orridge ever did. Talking about how they could possibly make the Argos relevant in Toronto again. He definitely has his work cut out for him.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Just heard him interviewed on The Fan/Prime Time Sports in Toronto. Good interview and he sounds 1000 times more excited than Orridge ever did.
Randy Ambrosie on Prime Time Sports
July 05 2017

The CFL's new commissioner joined Brad Fay & Bob McCown on Prime Time Sports to chat about revitalizing the Argonauts brand in a competitive Toronto market, as well as the host of new buildings the CFL has seen come to fruition in the last few years.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 11:31 PM

Commissioner can only do so much when it comes to revitalizing moribund franchises. Ultimate responsibility comes down to the individual owners and their respective management teams. It doesn't help that Toronto's management is rather non-plussed about poor ticket sales for the argos and continue to charge fairly high prices for a team in extremely low demand.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 11:43 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Commissioner can only do so much when it comes to revitalizing moribund franchises. Ultimate responsibility comes down to the individual owners and their respective management teams. It doesn't help that Toronto's management is rather non-plussed about poor ticket sales for the argos and continue to charge fairly high prices for a team in extremely low demand.
In my opinion, ticket prices have little or nothing to do with the Argos' problems. This is a huge, rich city where paying a lot for things is a common experience and even a status symbol. A cheap ticket strategy reeks of minor league and Toronto doesn't like that association.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 5:12 PM

Poor sportsmanship by Dickenson in the closing moments of the Stamps-Bombers game. Up by 16, with the ball, inside 25 seconds remaining in the game. Most coaches would simply take a knee in victory formation. Not DD -- he has to send out the FG team for 3 more points.

Angering the football gods will bring bad karma in the future. Is DD planting the seeds for yet another poor playoff performance at the end of this season? One can only hope so.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post
Poor sportsmanship by Dickenson in the closing moments of the Stamps-Bombers game. Up by 16, with the ball, inside 25 seconds remaining in the game. Most coaches would simply take a knee in victory formation. Not DD -- he has to send out the FG team for 3 more points.

Angering the football gods will bring bad karma in the future. Is DD planting the seeds for yet another poor playoff performance at the end of this season? One can only hope so.
I was wondering about that myself, at the time it seemed oddly churlish of DD.

Doug Brown's theory on the post-game show was that the Stamps were thinking about a tie-breaker at the end of the season... that's when total point differential is used to make the call.

Fair enough, but for a team that won 15 games last season you kind of wonder what difference that field goal will make in the end.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 6:46 PM

Quote:

The other thing I was wondering was he trying to give Peredes some more FG in game to help with his confidence

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was wondering about that myself, at the time it seemed oddly churlish of DD.

Doug Brown's theory on the post-game show was that the Stamps were thinking about a tie-breaker at the end of the season... that's when total point differential is used to make the call.

Fair enough, but for a team that won 15 games last season you kind of wonder what difference that field goal will make in the end.
I think every coach in the cfl would do the same, with the game won, no risk in trying to get more points to be ahead if a tie breaker situation happens later on, they are not meaningless points at this stage of the season.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 10:38 PM

I get a little frustrated with the CFL doesn't market well, no connection to the fans, blah, blah, blah....

I think some teams are great, like this event the Lions did this weekend at Playland for season tickets holders

https://www.bclions.com/2017/07/10/s...s-at-playland/

I do agree they do need to market better to get new fans!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
I think every coach in the cfl would do the same, with the game won, no risk in trying to get more points to be ahead if a tie breaker situation happens later on, they are not meaningless points at this stage of the season.
I disagree. I think most coaches would do the classy thing, especially with a two-TD+ lead.

In fact, I remember Wally taking the victory formation in almost exactly the same situation last season.

It's one thing to keep going for points with 5-6 minutes left on the clock. Anyone who's watched the league for any amount of time, knows what can happen inside the 3-minute warning. But on the last play of the game? C'mon, man!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 12:51 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
I get a little frustrated with the CFL doesn't market well, no connection to the fans, blah, blah, blah....

I think some teams are great, like this event the Lions did this weekend at Playland for season tickets holders

https://www.bclions.com/2017/07/10/s...s-at-playland/

I do agree they do need to market better to get new fans!
I thought it was strange last season in Toronto when, at the start, they had a big ad campaign going. The problem was they were marketing the CFL as a league and not the Argos. On one bus shelter downtown, they even had a picture of a Saskatchewan (!) player, with few/no words and a little CFL logo that few passersby would have seen, let alone recognized. The ads looked great but what they needed was a very simple and direct message focused on why someone would buy tickets to Argos games and how they would go about doing that. Instead, we got some sort of hipster-inspired vague positioning statement for a league that half of Toronto has literally never heard of.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 2:44 AM

Quote:
I disagree. I think most coaches would do the classy thing, especially with a two-TD+ lead.

In fact, I remember Wally taking the victory formation in almost exactly the same situation last season.

It's one thing to keep going for points with 5-6 minutes left on the clock. Anyone who's watched the league for any amount of time, knows what can happen inside the 3-minute warning. But on the last play of the game? C'mon, man!
Perhaps then we should let Wally have the final say?

Published reports quoted a couple of Lions accusing the Alouettes of “running up the score” in last Friday’s 24-9 win over B.C. Lions GM Wally Buono had no sympathy for the whiners. “This is professional football,” he said. “You play for 60 minutes.”

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 2:50 AM
Moran supreme

There must be two Wallys.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 12:16 PM

Poor call robs a lady of a million dollars.
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/cfl/...gRe?ocid=ientp

The Argos also got robbed by 2 bad hits on Ray that should have been called.

But it was an entertaining game.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
The other thing I was wondering was he trying to give Peredes some more FG in game to help with his confidence

THIS!....he hasn't been is normal steady self this year.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Poor call robs a lady of a million dollars.
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/cfl/...gRe?ocid=ientp

The Argos also got robbed by 2 bad hits on Ray that should have been called.

But it was an entertaining game.
Worst officiated game of the year so far - that crew was just brutal. So frustrating and makes it tough to enjoy the game.

Also - only 25k at the game? Maybe esquire has an answer?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 5:32 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Worst officiated game of the year so far - that crew was just brutal. So frustrating and makes it tough to enjoy the game.

Also - only 25k at the game? Maybe esquire has an answer?
I was shocked at how poor the attendance looked. 25,000 seems like an optimistic count.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada