HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 1:56 PM
Baltimore

I didn't.

It would have been difficult to though:

October 24, 2006
Time: 06:30 PM - 08:00 PM

The Baltimore Architecture Foundation hosts architect Robert A.M. Stern as he discusses his work in Baltimore and other cities. SOLD OUT.

If he released anything big on 10IH, you'd have to imagine some sort of small press release afterward, but not necessarily.

I don't mind more retail in White Marsh, that's where I live!!! But now that I work downtown it would be nice... could get more Xmas shopping done during the day and save me time at night. But not this year, there is still not a lot of main kinds of stores here, but there will be. Stores help to bring people along with new buildings.... and in return more people in the area will help bring more stores!!!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 3:35 PM
Baltimore

Recent Baltimore pics thanks to hkskyline from his visit:

http://www.globalphotos.org/baltimore.htm

there are a couple good shots of 414 Water St.
It is gettin up there

if I can't post pics yet, this is the best I can do for now.

thanks again Hkskyline!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 8:36 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527
I love to read info about more retail heading for the city center instead of Towson or White Marsh or Hunt Valley.

Did anyone make it to the lecture? I put it on my Outlook calendar, but for some reason neither my Blackberry nor my actual computer reminded me. Technology has some nerve! lol.

concerning the lecture:

Dear Steve,

I just received your email today. Unfortunately, we did not videotape the lecture. Sorry!

Kate Place

Coordinator of Adult Programs

The Walters Art Museum

kplace@thewalters.org

410-547-9000, ext. 237

www.thewalters.org

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 2:51 PM

well that sucks.

Also, over on SSC....someone posted an article about the Rec Pier in Fells Point. Apparently Clarke and H&S Properties will be teaming up to move forward on the stalled hotel porject. Aloft, a boutique version of W Hotels, was selected as the flag.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 7:55 PM
Baltimore

so any more detailed news on this project in fells?

did anyone look at the pics?

Steven, it may have been a while since you have seen downtown pics if you haven't been up here in a while... what did you think of them?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 6:09 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

From what I've seen, there looking pretty good. Looks like Water Tower has 3 more floors to go, plus the pyramid crown.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 3:41 AM
Baltimore

Actually saw a view of the skyline yesterday from '95 for the first time in a while ( I usually see it closer up actually in the city and coming in from the northeast, just haven't seen the '95 view in a while).... it looked great!!!! Could easily see Vue Harbor East and Water St. .... also I could even see the Zenith when I was a little further south. ...
The skyline does look BIGGER with those. VHE really helps to extend the skyline farther east instead of having just the lone Mariott.... with VHE next to it it actually looks like a part of the main skyline even if just slightly disconnected with the CBD

Overall, We (Baltimore) are really showing significant progress now on improving the skyline

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 3:45 AM
Baltimore

$300 million development (Southwest)

I'm not even exactly sure where this is, but found the article informative:

Close to accord, city razes 1 unit
Uplands lawsuit won't delay plans for new project, housing officials say
By Brent Jones
sun reporter
Originally published October 27, 2006
Mayor Martin O'Malley yesterday helped topple the roof of the lone building approved to come down in a vacant Southwest Baltimore apartment complex, a large redevelopment project that has been held up for two years by a legal dispute.

Attorneys from the Legal Aid Bureau waged a successful fight this week to ensure the demolished unit at Swann Avenue and Old Frederick Road in the Uplands Apartments is the only one razed until a final agreement is reached in a long-running federal court suit on behalf of former tenants seeking assurances that the new project will include low-income housing.

But city housing officials and attorneys for Legal Aid have agreed in principle on a deal that would allow enough low-income housing to be built for many residents relocated from Uplands Apartments to return if they so choose. Legal Aid, which represents the former residents in the suit against the city and the Department of Housing and Urban Development, went to a judge Wednesday to halt demolition of the 979-unit complex, arguing the deal needs to be finalized in court.

Lawyers for HUD, Legal Aid and the city participated in a conference call with Chief Magistrate Judge Paul Grimm on Wednesday. Grimm said privacy laws prevent him from discussing what was said during the meeting, but he was under the impression all sides consented to a resolution.

A spokesman for Legal Aid said the city, after yesterday's ceremony, agreed to not demolish any more of the buildings until the case is settled.

"There is a process here," said Joseph Surkiewicz, the spokesman for Legal Aid. "We're waiting for some final actions."

Asked why Legal Aid is against the immediate demolition of buildings that have been boarded up and abandoned for two years, Surkiewicz said, "The court has got to act."

Housing officials said the delay will not deter the project, called the largest new residential development in the city in decades. The project is slated to be on the site of the cleared apartment and on nearby land owned and occupied by New Psalmist Baptist Church, which is relocating to the Seton Business Park in Northwest Baltimore.

"This most recent action is not going to slow us down," spokesman David Tillman said. "There's a lot of work we have to do to prepare for demolition if we have to wait this thing out."

Tillman pointed to lead abatement and other predemolition work as the focus now for the 130-acre parcel. Housing officials would not go into detail about how long they are willing to wait before demanding a resolution to the demolition issue.

HUD has yet to sign off on the agreement reached by the city and Legal Aid and could take up to two months.

The city wants to raze the building to make way for a $300 million project that will create 1,146 units of mixed-income housing. Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, City Council President Sheila Dixon and a host of local and state elected officials attended the 45-minute ceremony yesterday.

Sandra Lee, who attended the ceremony, said she lived in Uplands for nine years before moving in March 2004. She was one of the last to leave and has plans to move back.

"I really liked the complex. But [the previous owners] didn't take care of the property. If they took care of the property, I would still be living here," she said.

brent.jones@baltsun.com

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 3:58 AM
Baltimore

Insight on Baltimore Office Space rent

This article will give some good info on how some of the office development may happen in the future. I think the better downtown gets with retail and then more people living down there.... office space will have a higher demand,buildings will have less vacancy, and then we will hopefully will see some nice and tall commercial/office towers proposed. This of course will all take some good time.

Pratt site for sale
Interest in 12-story office tower called 'very, very good'
By Lorraine Mirabella
sun reporter
Originally published October 26, 2006
One of downtown Baltimore's trophy office buildings, 500 E. Pratt St., is on the market and generating strong interest from potential buyers, an owner's representative said yesterday.

The owner of the 12-story tower, one of the newest at the Inner Harbor, will be considering offers over the next couple of weeks and expects to select a buyer before Thanksgiving, said Bruce Strasburg, a principal and senior vice president with Trammell Crow Co.'s Washington office. Trammell Crow is representing the building's owner, Multi-Employer Property Trust, a pool of public and private pension funds.

With a prime Pratt Street location across from the harbor, "this is a great property to own and we've seen very, very good interest," Strasburg said.

Strasburg said he could not discuss the owner's reason for selling the building.

Area brokers said Baltimore's investment sales market for Class A office buildings, which are newer and include more amenities, has been strong, attracting the interest of national and international investors.

The 279,000-square-foot tower at Pratt and Gay streets was developed by Trammell Crow in 2004 and completed last year, with an attached 900-car garage and a first-floor restaurant, The Capital Grille steakhouse.

The land is owned by Baltimore City Community College, which offered it for development in 1998. The owner pays the college ground rent, said Herbert C. Sledge, interim vice president for institutional advancement.

The tower is nearly 93 percent leased, with accounting firm Reznick Group, insurance company Aon Corp. and law firm Saul Ewing LLP among its larger tenants, according to CoStar Group Inc., which tracks commercial real estate information.

Rents asked are among the highest downtown, ranging from $34 to $36 a square foot, according to CoStar.

"We continue to see a lot of interest on the part of national investors attracted to Baltimore, based on the underlying office market and on more and more residents moving into downtown Baltimore," said Bo Cashman, a senior vice president at CB Richard Ellis specializing in investment properties.

Highest price
Baltimore, though considered a second-tier city among office investors, is viewed as affordable on a price-per-square-foot basis when compared with cities such as Washington, Philadelphia and New York, Cashman said. Class A office buyers are typically institutional investors who are snapping up properties around the country and worldwide.

In Baltimore, Class A office buildings downtown have sold for $200 to $300 a square foot, he said. This year, 100 E. Pratt St. sold for $207.5 million, or $312 a square foot, the highest price ever paid for a Baltimore office property.

The 500 E. Pratt building could fetch a similarly high price because of its premier address, brokers said.

"What's most attractive is the location, the unobstructed harbor views, the Pratt Street address, the amenities in the building and in the immediate vicinity," Cashman said. "When the market is going in a favorable direction, it can push rental rates higher and yield higher returns."

Several sales of office properties are pending, including the state Department of Transportation's 30-story World Trade Center, the slim, pentagonal office tower that has helped define the harbor's skyline for three decades. State officials have narrowed a field of potential buyers but have not announced a buyer.

Vacancies in the Class A office properties in the city's central business district have dropped slightly, on average.

The vacancy rate fell to 12.08 percent in the third quarter, compared with a little more than 14 percent in the third quarter of 2005, said Kevin Wille, a first vice president with CB Richard Ellis in Baltimore.

Rents are steady
"It's a function of the strength of the overall economy, and you're continuing to see business growth in the city," Wille said.

Rents, meanwhile, have remained steady, averaging $25.51 per square foot in the central business district in the third quarter, Wille said. Some high-profile buildings have increased rents, but others continue to have blocks of vacant space, such as the 750 E. Pratt St. building.

lorraine.mirabella@baltsun.com

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 4:12 AM
Baltimore

More pics of Baltimore

Thanks hkskyline!!!

these pics are credited to hkskyline

Great pics:

http://www.globalphotos.org/baltimore.htm

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 10:18 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Upscale retailer opens in The Gallery
The opening of another big retailer in downtown Baltimore, bluemercury, gives a boost to the local shopping scene with its assortment of spa-related items. Printer Friendly | PDF | Email | digg
Kelly Carson, The Examiner
Oct 30, 2006 5:00 AM (10 mins ago)
Current rank: # 263 of 6,289 articles

BALTIMORE - The retail industry in downtown Baltimore City got yet another shot in the arm with the opening of bluemercury, an upscale apothecary and spa, at The Gallery, 200 E. Pratt St.

“We have always loved Baltimore, and we have a lot of clients in Baltimore who come into our Georgetown [Washington, D.C.] location to shop,” bluemercury Founder and Chief Executive Marla Malcolm said. “The property owner, General Growth Properties, came to us, and we think they are doing a great job with their vision.”

The company has 15 locations nationwide, with the Baltimore site its first in Maryland. Another location is planned for Bethesda, Malcolm said.

She declined to disclose how much money bluemercury invested in the hardwood floors, oriental rugs and white marble decor for its Baltimore store.

Malcolm said that after the Baltimore location is open for a while, the company may expand into the surrounding suburbs.

“We listen to our customers,” Malcolm said. “And then we expand.”

The apothecary and spa, which offers more than 50 brands of cosmetic and skin care products as well as spa treatments, is the latest move in several made recently at The Gallery and Harborplace, general manager Christopher Schardt Sr. said.

“With the opening of bluemercury and the renovations and relocations of some of our existing merchants, Harborplace and The Gallery are thrilled to offer quality retail excellence, variety and convenience to the public — especially while we gear up for the holiday season,” Schardt said in an announcement.

Bath & Body Works reopened recently in its larger space on the third floor in The Gallery, while the Discovery Channel Store opened on the first floor of the Light Street Pavilion in Harborplace.

Men’s clothing retailer Johnston & Murphy moved to the first floor of The Gallery, and Banana Republic opened on the second floor of the downtown shopping plaza. Eatery New York Deli moved into larger digs in the Light Street Food Court of Harborplace.

kcarson@baltimoreexaminer.com

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 4:59 PM
Baltimore

Never heard of it, but sounds good to me!!!!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 10:51 AM

There is a more recent version of this article. View article history.
Urban planners share visions of base realignment
42 mins ago BWI expansion work ends ahead of holiday travel rush
42 mins ago Minority contracts are hot topic in gubernatorial race
42 mins ago Despite national trends, regional home sales remain steady
42 mins ago Urban planners share visions of base realignment
42 mins ago Local firms’ earnings reports come up mixed
42 mins ago Number of local agents expected to fall as housing market continues slowdown
42 mins ago Local companies to support NASA Hubble space mission
1 day ago Federal Reserve watcher calls for ‘inflation target’
1 day ago Dissidents rebuffed on Lafayette Credit Union conversion requests
1 day ago Cherry Hill Learning Zone Initiative in for ‘long haul’

Printer Friendly | PDF | Email | digg
G.M. Corrigan, The Examiner
Nov 1, 2006 5:00 AM (42 mins ago)
Current rank: # 234 of 8,277 articles

BALTIMORE - A best of times or worst of times outcome looms for local residents as federal base realignment and closure changes impend, according to speakers at the Greater Baltimore Committee’s conference on Monday.

Economist Anirban Basu and retired Brig. Gen. J. Michael Hayes, director of Maryland’s department of business and economic development, told business leaders that a six-year, BRAC-related, local increase of between 40,000 and 60,000 jobs was the “least unknown” number in the base conversion mix.

Basu also said that related commercial construction will most likely center around Anne Arundel and Harford counties.

The U.S. Army’s Aberdeen Proving Ground and Fort Meade, which are located in Harford and Anne Arundel counties, respectively, will share almost evenly in the projected job increases, Hayes said.

Questioning whether the affected jurisdictions would be able — or even willing — to accommodate the BRAC-related commercial development and an estimated 90,000 new residents, Basu feared that most growth would be shunted off into rural Cecil County.

“We could destroy a lot of rural county heritage [that way],” he said, instead making a case for Baltimore as an attractive business and residential haven for the BRAC surge — if only schools could be improved and property taxes lowered.

Hayes added that construction — the U.S. Army has budgeted $17.7 billion for BRAC-related construction in fiscal 2008 — will precede any demographic shift, and that, given historical relocation rates of past closures, up to 65 percent of new, BRAC-related jobs will be available to Marylanders.

And, he said, the construction industry can expect from $6 to $7 billion in local business through 2009.

“Impacted counties are working to identify specific needs, most related to school and infrastructure requirements,” Hayes noted. “And the city of Baltimore is also developing plans to demonstrate to potential employees … that it presents attractive housing and business location opportunities.”

Old Posted Nov 6, 2006, 11:23 PM

Kultured, the SSC site has been functioning very smoothly over the last month or so and therefore no one over there is moving over here. Sorry. You should check it out sometime as there are many more people there creating great discussion and very timely updates on projects.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 5:52 PM
Baltimore

OK, thank you. Any pics you could post over here or any more news on 10H or 300 E. Pratt?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 1:54 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

No, nothing new yet on 300 east pratt or 10 IH. You know if there is it will be posted.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 5:24 PM
Corporate logo

A few pictures from yesterday.

Baltimore has an impressive amount of construction going on.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 1:59 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Great pix!
Thanks for posting them.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 9:19 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

This link: http://www2.arcproperties.com/graphi..._Baltimore.pdf

Says that 10 IH will be a 60 story tower at 1.6 million sq. ft.!
Sounds good!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 7:54 AM

nice pics

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations