HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 2:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I wouldn't necessarily say that Moncton may be on his radar. Moncton already has 16 screens in two complexes. This might make the region challenging for yet another multiplex.

Cineplex however may be considering renovations (or relocation) of their Wheeler Park cinema, and the threat of this new competitor on the national stage might force their hand.

The wildcard is really IMAX.

IMAX has publicly stated that they want to open a screen in Moncton. If IMAX started mulling over forming a partnership with Guzzo to bring an IMAX screen to Moncton, It would be interesting to see how Cineplex might react, and again might force their hand in terms of future growth plans.

The situation in Moncton therefore is fluid.

Freddy however might be higher on Guzzo's plans than you might think. They stated that any city with over 75,000 people would be fair play. Right now, Freddy is ill served by Cineplex with their existing complex in the Regent Mall. If Guzzo thinks that Cineplex's position in Freddy is vulnerable, they might step right in........

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 3:56 PM

Cineplex is likely going to be out of that location within a few years. The newly-available Sears space has got to be an enticing opportunity. No way does Cineplex choose to stay in their current hole.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Cineplex is likely going to be out of that location within a few years. The newly-available Sears space has got to be an enticing opportunity. No way does Cineplex choose to stay in their current hole.
Haven't we been saying that for years though?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Yeah, but Sears hasn't been closed for years.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Yeah, we've been saying it for years, but Sears just Would Not Die.

Now that it's gone, hopefully Cineplex will finally make its move, but really until Something Happens, I'm not holding my breath.

As for Guzzman Theatres, I agree with the others that Freddy isn't quite on their radar yet. That pop level feels like he's basically saying "CMA status" which we don't quite have yet, and because of that I suspect we aren't on his radar yet. Maybe in a couple of years, we might rise to their attention.

Ultimately I suspect we'll see new screens in Freddy due to Cineplex finally building a new theatre, and probably due to having to refresh their system in general due to Guzzman pressure.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Yeah, we've been saying it for years, but Sears just Would Not Die.

Now that it's gone, hopefully Cineplex will finally make its move, but really until Something Happens, I'm not holding my breath.

As for Guzzman Theatres, I agree with the others that Freddy isn't quite on their radar yet. That pop level feels like he's basically saying "CMA status" which we don't quite have yet, and because of that I suspect we aren't on his radar yet. Maybe in a couple of years, we might rise to their attention.

Ultimately I suspect we'll see new screens in Freddy due to Cineplex finally building a new theatre, and probably due to having to refresh their system in general due to Guzzman pressure.
Correct about the Guzzman Theatres I believe they are going by CMA if there is one planned for NB I believe it would be for Greater Moncton.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 1:37 PM

New restaurant downtown called Wafi on Queen in the former Damda location. Specializes in Middle Eastern cuisine

http://wafi.ca/menu.html

Last edited by Freddypop; Dec 9, 2018 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 7:03 PM

There is some activity at hospital at back of the building where the expansion is supposed to happen, not sure if it is just ground work or if it is prep for the addition.

Last edited by cl812; Dec 10, 2018 at 1:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 9:11 PM

More info about 11th Mile's move to York Street https://huddle.today/11th-mile-will-...n-york-street/

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 12:53 PM

The Regent Street building has been approved https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ment-1.4940535

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 1:31 PM

Good that it was approved.

And really, I think I'd prefer office to another apartment building. It mixes up the development downtown, and it means that people who are looking out the office windows are normally there at a different times of the day from the people living in the condos. Then again, those condo owners would object to any building going up next to their own I'm sure.

Looking forward to seeing this work start up and a second tower crane popping up.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 2:49 PM

To be fair though, there's a lot more office space downtown than residential. The vast majority of new residential developments have been in the west end, and a higher concentration of residents in the eastern end of the core wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 2:55 PM

True. Maybe/hopefully whatever project eventually goes into the SMT/Quiznos spot will have a strong residential component. That feels like it could be a prime location to do mixed retail/residential on the east end of downtown.

Of course on the CBC Facebook thread, people are doing their usual bitching and moaning and complaining about how the Council isn't respecting the downtown heritage. Sometimes I think they want downtown to be static, never changing, nothing new, nothing updated.... which is a recipe for death basically.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 4:01 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
True. Maybe/hopefully whatever project eventually goes into the SMT/Quiznos spot will have a strong residential component. That feels like it could be a prime location to do mixed retail/residential on the east end of downtown.

Of course on the CBC Facebook thread, people are doing their usual bitching and moaning and complaining about how the Council isn't respecting the downtown heritage. Sometimes I think they want downtown to be static, never changing, nothing new, nothing updated.... which is a recipe for death basically.
Terry they are entitled to their option just like you. for me I don't live downtown and nor do I ever go downtown so it doesn't matter to me. But the one guy you are talking about JJ is more of a pain then anyone else I know. So I would go for whatever he is against just for spite

Growth is good.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 5:26 PM
New Brunswick booster!

The new Fredericton calendar is out and there are some great aerial shots from 60-70 years ago. I bought mine at Chapters. Neat to see the development of Fredericton post WWII.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 7:08 PM

Government just cancelled the Centennial Building redevelopment. One less crane going up downtown. Such a waste considering the foundation work is well underway.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 7:21 PM

Details on CBC

Quote:
The government is postponing several major, high-profile projects, including:

A new Centennial Building and courthouse complex in Fredericton
A new New Brunswick Museum in Saint John
Route 11 upgrades between Cocagne River and Little Bouctouche River and between Glenwood and Miramichi
Planning for a new school in Moncton to replace Bessborough and Hillcrest schools
The design of a new K-8 school in Campbellton
Renovations to the Memramcook Institute.
Considering how much work has been done, stopping the courthouse work seems a bit surprising. I wonder if that will ultimately be a Penny-wise/pound foolish situation, since I think the Justice department has already started making arrangements to clear their existing spaces. The ICS building on King and Westmoreland (which has court rooms in it) has For Lease signs up, but that may not be related to the justice department.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 7:50 PM

That's unrelated as those are federal courtrooms.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 8:06 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
The new Fredericton calendar is out and there are some great aerial shots from 60-70 years ago. I bought mine at Chapters. Neat to see the development of Fredericton post WWII.

Me too its a great calendar, I am glad I am not the only one who bought it

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post
Government just cancelled the Centennial Building redevelopment. One less crane going up downtown. Such a waste considering the foundation work is well underway.
I didn't read this as cancelled but postponed. The intent is to restart and finish at a yet to be determined date. It will eventually be completed but not within the original time frame. On another note the new school in Hanwell got approved and funded. Not surprising since it is afterall in the Education Minister's riding.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces