HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 5:24 AM

A New Stadium? Really?

I would like to second the assertion made by Chicago3rd: states pay a handsome sum to get stadiums built. I know CA is having a "minor" budget problem, yes? That's not to say grand civic structures don't get built in times of tight budgets anyway. I guess my thing with football stadiums is that they aren't really public (you have to pay to go inside) and not that versatile aside from the odd national convention or bruce springsteen concert, but we (states) fund (or should I say subsidize) them at a greater rate than other businesses. Again, it could be argued that we give tax breaks to corporations to maintain their presence downtown, but city's don't generally pay for the cost of their HQ- which is what happens with stadiums many a time. << This is perhaps a public policy debate. But what do I know, I'm just from Philadelphia where the state ponied up huge amounts of money to build the eagles' stadium (Lincoln Financial field)....

Btw, forumers, if you could help a fellow skyscraperpage poster out, I will be coming to California for the first time in my young adult life next Thursday (so excited)! Please feel free to pm me places to go for a civil engineer interested in transportation planning, design, and urban life. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DIESELPOLO; Feb 23, 2010 at 5:29 AM. Reason: had to refine my thought process to communicate my point more effectively

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
I would like to second the assertion made by Chicago3rd: states pay a handsome sum to get stadiums built. I know CA is having a "minor" budget problem, yes? That's not to say grand civic structures don't get built in times of tight budgets anyway.
Minor? Naw man this state is struggling. It just wouldn't make sense to build a new stadium anywhere in the state when programs are being cut for kids and schools are being shut down ... hell even a city went bankrupt (Vallejo). Thats why its been so hard for Los Angeles to get their stadium done and they have been trying for fifteen years.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 9:14 PM
BANNED

LA gave up and the Roski organization used a quasi-city, Industry, to help put together the permits, etc. Even then local cities held it hostge for local improvements until the state stopped their repeated litigation. Funding is more or less all private. That is the only way that works in the LA area.

If you are visiting LA as well as the Bay Area, I would suggest looking over the planned theater restoration and trolley connectors from LA Live along Broadway to the Music Center; the proposed Cap Parks over the 101 DT and in Hollywood; the plans for Grand Ave. and the Broad Museum, next to the Disney, which is an interesting project given the hills and other developments in the area.

Caltrans has some displays at their offices DT (1st and Main). We could also use a good way of connecting Union Station (worth looking at for its beauty and history) to Dodger Stadium. And take the Red Line out to Hollywood.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 8:15 PM

Well it's still moving forward.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 7:41am PDT
San Jose soccer stadium rezoning approved
http://sanjose.bizjournals.com/sanjo...l?surround=lfn
Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal

The San Jose City Council approved rezoning property near Mineta San Jose International Airport to allow a soccer stadium to be built for the San Jose Earthquakes.

The council voted 10-0 Tuesday in favor of the proposal, which involves 95 acres on Coleman Avenue.

The stadium is expected to have about 18,000 seats.

San Jose officials paid more than $81 million to the FMC Corp. for the entire parcel in 2005.

http://sharkspage.com/jpgs6/quakes_stadium2.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eEpicenter.gif

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 8:37 PM
Show me the blueprints

Earthquakes? Oh my! They seriously thought that name was a good idea?

Where are the New Orleans Hurricanes? Oklahoma City Bombers? Topeka Tornadoes? Montgomery Race Riots? Or internationally, how about the Dublin Famine or the Kuala Lumpur Tsunami?

Chicago Fire seems OK to me because its an obvious play on words citing a historical event with absolutely 0% chance of happening again. But San Jose Earthquakes? Good grief.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 9:35 PM

The name "earthquakes" has been a part of San Jose soccer for a long, long time.

In fact, when MLS started out the team for SJ was named the "Clash", fans were outraged and the team name was later switched to the earthquakes.

The stadium name as been humorously tagged as the "epicenter"

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 9:39 PM
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

Where are the New Orleans Hurricanes? Oklahoma City Bombers? Topeka Tornadoes? Montgomery Race Riots? Or internationally, how about the Dublin Famine or the Kuala Lumpur Tsunami?

Chicago Fire seems OK to me because its an obvious play on words citing a historical event with absolutely 0% chance of happening again. But San Jose Earthquakes? Good grief.
Our earthquakes here are not the great disasters you compare them to. While common enough to feel one a couple times/year or so, it's extremely rare for them to have caused loss of life. Stuff falling off of shelves and an occasional broken window, is standard fare. We have strict building codes--which incidently, is why the massive Chile quake had a relatively small loss of life--most of the 700 were from the tsunami that people weren't informed of. Anyway, our earthquakes here are more a badge of honor: You feel them, you tough it out, you clean up broken stuff afterwards. They are not the large scale tragedies that you compare them to. While I don't have stats handy(I've lived here for nearly a half century), I'd be very surprised if as many as a dozen people total, passed away due to a San Jose earthquake over the past 100 years. Even then, it's usually an elderly person with coronary issues, having a heart-attack.

Furthermore, the name has been around for a while: The original San Jose Earthquakes played from 1974-1988.

I'm excited about the stadium, btw. It looks great! Also, the figure of 18,000--while not anywhere yet near the scale of world-wide "futball"--is impressive nonetheless for the US. Hopefully, it can be expanded someday, when the need arises.

On edit: Given the history of this area along with our strong Latino cultural influences...a common nick-name(although just a direct transalation)--the formidable sounding : Los Terremotos de San José
"There is no endeavour more noble than the attempt to achieve a collective dream. When a city accepts as its mandate its quality of life; when it respects the people who live in it; when it respects the environment; when it prepares for future generations, the people share responsibility for that mandate, and this shared cause is the only way to achieve that collective dream." - Jaime Lerner

Last edited by leftopolis; Mar 19, 2010 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 3:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, March 26, 2010
Hercules wants to be dense, walkable town
San Francisco Business Times - by Blanca Torres

Hercules is ditching the suburban model that helped transform it from a town known for its dynamite factory into a bedroom community.

Officials of the 25,000-resident city now want to fold in urban elements such as higher-density retail, residential and commercial development and pedestrian-oriented neighborhoods.

“Only multi-family housing will be built from now on in Hercules,” said Steve Lawton, the city’s economic development director. “Densities will go up. Transit really works well when you have higher densities.”

Hercules residents have relied on Interstate 80 for transportation. An intermodal train station is planned to open in 2013. The station will provide a Capital Corridor stop, ferry service to San Francisco and bus connections . . . .
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...29/story8.html

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 11:16 PM

Santana Row set to expand with 108 new residential units

It seems the consumerist urban idyll that is Santana Row is proving popular, as the developer of the San Jose shopping mecca with housing attached has announced it has begun construction on 108 new residential units.

According to Federal Realty Investment Trust, 97% of Santana Row's rental units are leased, demand for more is strong, and the new homes will bring the total number of residential units at Santana Row to 622.

The new four-story building will be located behind Anthropologie and Borders Books and is expected to be completed by late summer 2011. The new units will consist of 98 flats, ranging in size from 750 sq ft to nearly 1,600 sq ft, and a row of 10 four-story townhomes. There will be subterranean parking with 160 spaces, a business center, entertainment lounge and fitness center.

A quick scan shows there are about 14 homes currently for sale at Santana Row, ranging in price from $350,000 for a one-bedroom condo to $759,999 for a two-bedroom, 1,450 sq ft unit in the DeForest Building.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...#ixzz0mFcAZSjS

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

Don't forget the Hiroshima Boom!

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 1:15 AM
Earthling

BizJournals ~ Julian Street Straightening/650 New Housing Units For DTSJ
Quote:
A $24 million state grant to straighten Julian Street in downtown San Jose paves the way for development of the massive 650-unit North San Pedro Housing Project.

The grant allows the city to correct a mistake made in the 1970s when Julian Street was realigned to offer quick and easy access to Highway 87. While creating the curve offered access, it played havoc with downtown’s rectangular street grid by bisecting three parcels at odd angles.

San Jose Redevelopment Agency Director Harry Mavrogenes said the money allows the city to replace the curve with a restored grid that creates two parcels for a mixed residential development featuring towers, three-story townhomes and a midrise affordable housing building.

Mavrogenes said he expects to hear any day that bonds have been sold to fund the infrastructure grant, and once he gets word, construction crews will begin work on the realignment.

The project calls for reconnecting Terraine Street from Devine Street to St. James Street, returning Julian Street to a straight line, widening St. James, expanding Pellier Park, building a second park and constructing sidewalks.

“The way it is now, Julian is a formidable barrier because of the high speed of the street and its width,” Mavrogenes said. “By restoring the grid, we will reclaim the area back into the downtown and create a new neighborhood.”

Construction of that neighborhood is expected to start next spring and occur over several years. When complete, North San Pedro will feature as many as three towers ranging in size from 12 to 16 stories with 160 units each, to be built by Barry Swenson Builder and MCM Diversified Inc. It will also include 85 affordable studios in a five-story structure to be constructed by First Community Housing, as well as 124 townhomes to be built by Intracorp Cos. of San Francisco.
~More @ link...
"There is no endeavour more noble than the attempt to achieve a collective dream. When a city accepts as its mandate its quality of life; when it respects the people who live in it; when it respects the environment; when it prepares for future generations, the people share responsibility for that mandate, and this shared cause is the only way to achieve that collective dream." - Jaime Lerner

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 1:42 AM
Earthling

Another project for DTSJ--with 100 residential units--proposed by:
First Community Housing ~ 4th ST Apartments
Quote:
First Community Housing will build 100 energy-efficient apartments (one, two and three-bedrooms) on a .79 acre site downtown located two blocks from light rail. This multifamily housing includes two stories of structured parking, with a landscaped courtyard providing open space, a seventh floor terrace and a demonstration green “living” roof.

Fisher Friedman Associates, AIA, an award-winning architectural firm, designed the nine story building.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 4:52 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I remember us discussing the Julian St project several months ago. Glad to hear it's about to start. That's a really underutilized corner of downtown.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 9:11 AM
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I remember us discussing the Julian St project several months ago. Glad to hear it's about to start. That's a really underutilized corner of downtown.
They're really jamming alot into the new blocks--new park, expanded park and the 3 housing developments. Adding 1,500 residents to DT will make a big difference towards ever expanding vibrancy. I'm relieved that things are still progressing--albeit more slowly--during this extended period of high unemployment, budget shortfalls, lack of lending...

Here's another project from:
First Community Housing
--on the outskirts/border of DT(just south of 280).
Quote:
First Community Housing is proposing to build 134 energy-efficient studio and one-bedroom apartments at the corner of South Second Street and Keyes Street over ground-level retail. Thirty-five percent of the units will be set aside for the developmentally disabled population and those who require in-home services.

Rob Wellington Quigley, AIA is an award-winning architectural firm that designed the building. The current plan includes 11,211 square feet of retail space on the ground floor, with on-site parking for customers, employees, and residents. The building is registered in the LEED for Homes Mid-rise pilot program incorporates a living roof, and is expected to receive a LEED Gold or Platinum certification.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 10:44 AM
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman_95046 View Post
Santana Row set to expand with 108 new residential units
Even more housing in this general area--about a block north of the Winchester/Steven's Crk. corner. At least the 5 story senior housing sounds like reasonable density for the area. Hope they're thorough about cleaning up those pesticides
The Merc
Quote:
SummerHill Homes of Palo Alto agreed to pay $34 million to buy 11 acres for 110 single-family homes and a one-acre park. The city of Santa Clara agreed to pay $10 million for the remaining six acres for the nonprofit Charities Housing to build two five-story towers that will be used as low-income senior rental housing.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 2:38 PM
Earthling

Just a correction...

...I've discovered this is on the N. 1400 block of 4th--so it is definitely outside the range of downtown. It's more where the North 1st TOD area begins(the end just north of dt).

The good news is that evidently this one's ready to go--finanially speaking. Further good news: That a project like this is being built outside of the DT core--I'm actually seeing more and more of that. It's refreshing to see the follow-up on the discussed plan to create several mini-downtown clusters/TODs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftopolis View Post
Another project for DTSJ--with 100 residential units--proposed by:
First Community Housing ~ 4th ST Apartments

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 8:57 PM
Earthling

Some more action for Shattuck in Berkeley...

bizjournals.com
Quote:
City Centric is moving ahead with a $60 million mixed-use apartment project that aims to revitalize a slow section of Shattuck Avenue in Berkeley.

Developers Ali Kashani and Mark Rhoades secured entitlements for their Parker Place development that will contain 155 units, a 188-spot parking garage and 19,600 square feet of retail space at 2600 Shattuck Ave.

“Our vision is to really create a sense of place and really transform the neighborhood,” Rhoades said...

...Parker Place, designed by David Baker + Partners Architects, will incorporate the existing dealership building that was built in 1923. The project will consist of two buildings divided by Parker Street...

...The project is three-quarters of a mile from the UC Berkeley, campus and about six blocks from the Berkeley and Ashby BART stations in either direction.
Click here for renders, more info, slideshow...from the architects:
http://www.dbarchitect.com ~ Parker Place

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 3:12 AM

interesting, i hadnt heard anything about this project before, but it looks nice. that stretch of shattuck could really use more retail to improve the street life. it seems like once you go south of dwight, everyone disappears. i wonder where the honda of berkeley i gonna go.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 9:13 PM
BANNED

Santa Clara is keeping busy: the City Council approves the new hotel tax for the 49er stadium (supported by the hotels) and also approves the Yahoo 13-building 3M sq. ft. campus EIR (not far from the stadium).

Anybody know if the Yahoo plan is actually moving forward? I suppose they could consolidate a lot of people into the new campus from other locations, but do they plan to move the HQ there as well? It’s hard to believe they are actually hiring and expanding. Maybe just looking 10 years out and hoping for the best.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Santa Clara is keeping busy: the City Council approves the new hotel tax for the 49er stadium (supported by the hotels) and also approves the Yahoo 13-building 3M sq. ft. campus EIR (not far from the stadium).

Anybody know if the Yahoo plan is actually moving forward? I suppose they could consolidate a lot of people into the new campus from other locations, but do they plan to move the HQ there as well? It’s hard to believe they are actually hiring and expanding. Maybe just looking 10 years out and hoping for the best.
I'm not sure of what Yahoo's plans are with regard to moving, but they are definitely doling out the vendor cash right now A lot of new projects are getting the greenlight, so project management consultants (in particular) are in VERY high demand right now, which typically correlates with increased employee hiring (this is a trend all across the valley, but even more so at Yahoo than most places).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations