HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 3:38 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
that girl in pink shirt looks like Beyoncé. btw nice pics.
I was about to say that.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 3:43 PM
ARTchitecture

Kensington

Sunnyside Station by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Kensington by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Kensington by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

YellowCab by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Memorial by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Simple Beauty by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Fishing in Peace by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Peaceful by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 3:48 PM
video et taceo

calgary seems like it might feel a lot like vancouver on street level. it's not so much the buildings, but the people, the signage, the businesses — i have never been to calgary, but i have been to vancouver, and i remember it looking sort of like that.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 3:56 PM
ARTchitecture

I don't know about the signage, but the areas that the city is focussing intensification and beautification (mostly along the waterfront, near high streets, etc) around are certainly pushing the city in that direction. I agree.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 3:58 PM
video et taceo

i guess it was mainly this photo:

the way the guy and girl are dressed, the street furniture, the ads — it reminds me of the western parts of downtown vancouver.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 4:02 PM
ARTchitecture

Oh okay, well yeah I guess. Kensington is a really old business area though, I wouldn't really relate it to being a "copy" of Vancouver or anything, it would have just evolved that way. But I can see a bit of Denman in that photo, you're right

EDIT: I just said Kensington is "really old" forgetting that you live in Europe. What I mean to say is, really old by western Canadian standards, ie. over a century.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 4:02 PM

Man, that bridge looks fantastic.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 4:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Calgary, to me, felt like a young person with a lot of money.

Vancouver seemed more middle-aged. And it definitely had a stronger and more old-fashioned sense of social status. Nothing compared to the east, of course... but Vancouver still felt like you might not get a job there because of your surname.

Calgary felt oblivious to history as far as those sorts of things go. I imagine people there don't get sweaty palms too often upon learning someone's surname during introductions.

But, you know, a few days in each. Hard to get a well-rounded impression.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post

the way the guy and girl are dressed, the street furniture, the ads — it reminds me of the western parts of downtown vancouver.

ya but where are the hipsters beards?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 4:13 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Oh okay, well yeah I guess. Kensington is a really old business area though, I wouldn't really relate it to being a "copy" of Vancouver or anything, it would have just evolved that way. But I can see a bit of Denman in that photo, you're right

EDIT: I just said Kensington is "really old" forgetting that you live in Europe. What I mean to say is, really old by western Canadian standards, ie. over a century.

no, i didn't mean a copy — that was badly expressed. it just reminded me of my trip to vancouver, and i've never been to calgary so that's my frame of reference

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 4:22 PM

Quote:
calgary seems like it might feel a lot like vancouver on street level. it's not so much the buildings, but the people, the signage, the businesses — i have never been to calgary, but i have been to vancouver, and i remember it looking sort of like that.
When I saw the post with the pics, I actually had no idea what or where Kensington was, and since there were no visible license plates in the shots, I decided to see if I could narrow it down (knowing Chad travels around and post pics of plenty of places, there was no guarantee it was Calgary in my mind).

"10th Street NW" as a street name is very very Western North America. So is the style of the traffic lights. The shops and signage are actually more stereotypically West Coastish than Plains ("Sun & Moon Psychic Boutique"...)

Then the high residential towers told me it had to be a large city, and knowing Chad is unlikely to have been south of the 49th to get those pics, it narrowed it down a lot immediately.

Scrolling down further, I recognized that red bridge, so the experiment ended there.

I've spent two weeks in Vancouver back when my sister lived there and I would agree that the first few pics (street level) could've been it.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 5:07 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Edmonton:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
From the Pearl crane this morning, pic by Brenden Swain on Facebook.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 5:09 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
no, i didn't mean a copy — that was badly expressed. it just reminded me of my trip to vancouver, and i've never been to calgary so that's my frame of reference
Sorry, I didn't mean to infer that I thought that's what you meant. I just said that because of my previous comment, where I said the city is pushing the most intensification and beautification to the water and high streets, thereby copying Vancouver in a way.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 5:10 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Magical, Kevin!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 5:55 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Calgary, to me, felt like a young person with a lot of money.

Vancouver seemed more middle-aged. And it definitely had a stronger and more old-fashioned sense of social status. Nothing compared to the east, of course... but Vancouver still felt like you might not get a job there because of your surname.

Calgary felt oblivious to history as far as those sorts of things go. I imagine people there don't get sweaty palms too often upon learning someone's surname during introductions.

But, you know, a few days in each. Hard to get a well-rounded impression.
You're right, Calgary is the antithesis of an establishment city. One of the few places in North America a 38 yr old brown, Ismaili Muslim professor of non-profit management named Naheed Nenshi could get elected, and no one would think twice of it. It's a very freeing civic culture to be part of.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 5:57 PM
Round Head

Quote:

Yeah, the Kensington district does have a Denman kind of look and vibe.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 6:03 PM

Dont usually get pictures of buildings poking above the clouds in a non coastal (or great lake) city, that's a sweet shot.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 9:50 PM
of Canada

From the Bow Parkade a couple of days ago.

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 1:34 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
"10th Street NW" as a street name is very very Western North America. So is the style of the traffic lights. The shops and signage are actually more stereotypically West Coastish than Plains ("Sun & Moon Psychic Boutique"...)
Portland would be NW 10th Avenue (they prefix the quadrant, and streets aren't numbered, only avenues). Seattle would be NW 10th Street, also with prefixed quadrant. SF doesn't use directionals and has few numbered streets and neither does LA. Neither does Vancouver for the most part in its inner city, so what's west coastish, much less "very very" west coast?

Also, we don't use "plains" in Canada. We speak of "prairies" and Calgary isn't, in my opinion, a prairie city at all. It's a foothills city or even a Rocky Mountain city... or better still, it's a Western Canadian city.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 2:05 AM
ARTchitecture

I wish Calgary didn't have the number system, to be honest. The beautiful names our streets used to have...

9th Avenue - Atlantic Avenue
1st Street - Notre Dame Street
etc...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada