HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 12:38 PM

^Yes, in Wilmington - that's an apartment project being developed by Capano Management.

"Developer Louis Capano III also is heeding that call with his first foray into the city. Louis Capano & Sons recently began work on a 68-unit, multifamily apartment building at 101 Avenue of the Arts, next to the Gates Building, which houses Barclay's and FireStone Roasting House. That four-story project is slated to be followed by an eight-story structure with 135 apartments."

Article here summarizes much of new development going on in Wilmington,
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...ont/100975940/

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 7:09 PM

Wilmington University 202 Campus is in full speed, high speed to be correct:

And the WSFS is midway:

Also the Burlington conversion is well underway but as you can see I was at a stoplight.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
^Yes, in Wilmington - that's an apartment project being developed by Capano Management.

"Developer Louis Capano III also is heeding that call with his first foray into the city. Louis Capano & Sons recently began work on a 68-unit, multifamily apartment building at 101 Avenue of the Arts, next to the Gates Building, which houses Barclay's and FireStone Roasting House. That four-story project is slated to be followed by an eight-story structure with 135 apartments."

Article here summarizes much of new development going on in Wilmington,
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...ont/100975940/
Thanks for posting that link, TallCoolOne! Wilmington has a lot of exciting projects that are either proposed or under construction. The Christiana River also has an excellent riverfront area, so I'm hoping that we will see more residential properties over there.

A few days ago, I was talking with someone I met on the train heading to Elwyn. I made a point and we both agreed: unlike poorer cities in PA and NJ, Wilmington doesn't seem to have the issue of crumbling homes, gapped-teeth streets, and vacant lots as acutely. Once Wilmington gains more recognition, many of the neighborhoods can be restored simply through rehabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
^^ They are building daytime docks on the Delaware in Bristol, meaning boaters can pull up, dock, and walk around for the day. It's a big advantage to other river towns and will definitely bring some money in. Bristol has also won the small business revolution, beating out 14,000 other entries and will receive half a million in marketing investment, and on top of that just recently received $50k in state money to revitalize Mill Street. They've got a brewery moving in and the pictures you took show the $500k condos they are building on the Delaware. Exciting times.

The time to invest is most definitely now, if I had the extra cash I'd jump on it.
Thanks for explaining what the barge was there for!

Your statement reassures me that my "Bristol can become the next New Hope" statement isn't too drenched in hyperbole. Businesses are moving in and people seem like they want to come. Bristol's transit connections to Philly and Trenton will assist its growth; in fact, I think that the parking lots surrounding the station would make for a good TOD project. Not only is the train station there, but the Delaware River Canal Towpath trail (with connections to Yardley and New Hope) and a beautiful park are right there as well. SEPTA should build some high-level platforms and sell those lots to developers to generate some more foot traffic!

Pond Street could also become a bigger commercial strip, imo.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 3:38 AM

Interesting read about efforts to develop the Chester Waterfront:

Part 1: http://www.phillyvoice.com/chester-c...-union-part-1/

Part 2: http://www.phillyvoice.com/chester-c...on-part-2/amp/

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post

Thanks for explaining what the barge was there for!

Your statement reassures me that my "Bristol can become the next New Hope" statement isn't too drenched in hyperbole. Businesses are moving in and people seem like they want to come. Bristol's transit connections to Philly and Trenton will assist its growth; in fact, I think that the parking lots surrounding the station would make for a good TOD project. Not only is the train station there, but the Delaware River Canal Towpath trail (with connections to Yardley and New Hope) and a beautiful park are right there as well. SEPTA should build some high-level platforms and sell those lots to developers to generate some more foot traffic!

Pond Street could also become a bigger commercial strip, imo.
Yeah they're definitely steps in the right direction. The school district seems to be having some trouble, hopefully with more money comes an improved school system...it's also been bleeding population since the 60's. Bristol is one of those districts that has it's own tiny district; Bristol Borough district as opposed to the surrounding district that is much larger and encompasses large swaths of Levittown; Bristol Township district.

Being on the river offers a huge advantage to other small towns in the metro area. There's a cool short video on the history of Bristol here:

https://www.deluxe.com/small-busines...ol-borough-pa/

It's far from New Hope at the moment but it has the momentum to move in that direction, thanks for the pictures and checking out my neck of the woods

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 1:42 AM

Wilmington: Chelsea Plaza

New project sign is up (Wilmington Grand Prix sign is also still up from this past weekend's race). The crane for Mid-Town Park stands watch. Creamery a few doors down opens tomorrow (Tues).

great shots tallcoolone

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 11:11 AM

North Wilmington - BP Group's Concord Plaza Residential project

Silverside Road before you hit Concord Pike (202). Demolition is on-going of the old suburban style office park -- making way for this new residential community.

"The Buccini/Pollin Group was featured on Delaware Online for their upcoming project of 300 apartments, over restaurants cafe’s and stores at Concord Plaza at 515 Silverside Rd , Wilmington, DE 19810."

see article link below for more info

The old - some remain:
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...dred/74806866/
----------

Incyte Pharma expansion continues on Augustine Cutoff -- just off Concord Pike (202 South), before you hit Brandywine Park and the City of Wilmington.

[IMG]

The final renderings look pretty cool -- pics are here:
http://granumai.com/gai-portfolio/in...ers-expansion/

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 2:12 AM

Looks like Newtown (Bucks County) is joining in on the regional development boom! This major project is located along historic State Street.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 2:17 AM

Bad news for Delaware and the Philadelphia Region

HSBC moving hundreds of jobs out of Delaware

Quote:
HSBC said it will be relocating 400 jobs out of state from its New Castle, Delaware facility, which will be shuttering when the least expires next year.

The London-based banking giant has a total of 450 employees at 90 Christiana Road, focused on operations, financial crime risk and cash management. About 50 employees will be allowed to work remotely or switch to HSBC’s Wilmington location while a small number of positions will be eliminated, according to company spokesman Rob Sherman. HSBC currently has around 10 employees in the Wilmington office who are part of its private banking, retail banking and wealth management businesses.

The rest of the jobs will be moving to Chicago and Buffalo, New York.

Sherman said the changes emanate from a decision the bank made two years ago when it relocated a number of jobs from costly New York City to newly-formed “centers of excellence” in Buffalo and Chicago.

With its lease up in New Castle at the end of 2018, HSBC decided to consolidate its real estate there and relocate most of the jobs.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...ware-bank.html

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Looks like Newtown (Bucks County) is joining in on the regional development boom! This major project is located along historic State Street.

There is also a new development that was just built on Sycamore Street in Newtown. I believe it's condos. It houses an Anthropologie on the ground floor.

Not only is Philadelphia building things, but most urban towns and small cities around the entire Region have construction currently including Newtown, Bristol, Doylestown, New Hope, Jenkintown, Conshohocken, King of Prussia, Phoenixville, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, West Chester, Media, Kennett Square, Upper Darby, Wilmington, Newark, Camden, Collingswood, Haddonfield, Glassboro, Atlantic City, Stone Harbor, Avalon, Sea Isle, Wildwood, etc.

Anywhere else?

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
There is also a new development that was just built on Sycamore Street in Newtown. I believe it's condos. It houses an Anthropologie on the ground floor.

Not only is Philadelphia building things, but most urban towns and small cities around the entire Region have construction currently including Newtown, Bristol, Doylestown, New Hope, Jenkintown, Conshohocken, King of Prussia, Phoenixville, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, West Chester, Media, Kennett Square, Upper Darby, Wilmington, Newark, Camden, Collingswood, Haddonfield, Glassboro, Atlantic City, Stone Harbor, Avalon, Sea Isle, Wildwood, etc.

Anywhere else?
Wayne has some relatively high density infill development. Mostly multi-family and very high end townhomes.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 5:09 AM

Quote:

Anywhere else?
A few new buildings and a traffic circle have been constructed in Swarthmore primarily to serve the college. Villanova also has some major construction going on near Lancaster Pike and Ithan Avenue.

Other than that, the aforementioned list is pretty exhaustive!

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 9:34 PM

Inspira breaks ground on new hospital in NJ

Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20170524.html

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 6:49 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Anywhere else?
Norristown. This has been completed and is now leasing:

http://www.luxorapartments.com/Gallery.aspx

And you are starting to see a lot of revitalization taking place. There's a distillery on main street, a large WaWa has just opened as you approach the borough on Ridge Pike, etc. When the TP exit is complete that may really kick things off as well:

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...terchange.html

It still has a long way to go in some spots but the winds of change are clearly blowing.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 10:26 AM

The Villanova thing is a dorm complex. 4 stories tall with about 1100 beds.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdiesel View Post
The Villanova thing is a dorm complex. 4 stories tall with about 1100 beds.
Indeed.
http://designconceptforlancasteraven...oject-details/
They are currently in Phase II and III which calls for the new residence halls with a target of Summer 2019.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 2:56 PM

Is it just me, or that it really bothers me that Delaware is the only state in the nation without commercial air service. I get that Philly Intl is only a 25 min. drive, but that I do not like that airport and parking there is overpriced. Baltimore (which is a 45min-1hr drive) is okay, but Baltimore almost always has severe traffic, making the drive a pain. Frontier (which was the most recent airline to leave Wilmington Airport) confuses me on why it left. Flight occupency was over 80%, and when I flew them out of Wilmington (2 years ago), it was a fantastic experience. Cheap airfare, free parking, and the terminal (while small) is a lot quicker and nicer than Philly's or Baltimore's airport. It was very disappointing when they left for me. Does anybody else feel this too?

(I know this is kind of off topic)

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
Is it just me, or that it really bothers me that Delaware is the only state in the nation without commercial air service. I get that Philly Intl is only a 25 min. drive, but that I do not like that airport and parking there is overpriced. Baltimore (which is a 45min-1hr drive) is okay, but Baltimore almost always has severe traffic, making the drive a pain. Frontier (which was the most recent airline to leave Wilmington Airport) confuses me on why it left. Flight occupency was over 80%, and when I flew them out of Wilmington (2 years ago), it was a fantastic experience. Cheap airfare, free parking, and the terminal (while small) is a lot quicker and nicer than Philly's or Baltimore's airport. It was very disappointing when they left for me. Does anybody else feel this too?

Taking Amtrak to BWI is an option to avoid traffic.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post

For what I do know of the matter, I may be able to provide a bit of insight on ILG. The tough thing attracting an airline to serve a regional airports is the relatively small return on investment once staffing, equipment, and infrastructure have been addressed. Without the economy of scale that the large airports enjoy to spread those costs over dozens of routes all sold to max capacity the only other place an airline can turn to is government subsidies which prop up air travel to places that would otherwise be under served (Wilkes-Barre, Binghamton, Elmira, Williamsport to name a few). It is difficult for politicians to make the case to allocate funds to subsidizing Delaware when the general public consensus is that we can drive to PHL, BWI, or even EWR if necessary. So although Frontier had decent load factors going out of ILG it ultimately wasn't desirable.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Castaway View Post
For what I do know of the matter, I may be able to provide a bit of insight on ILG. The tough thing attracting an airline to serve a regional airports is the relatively small return on investment once staffing, equipment, and infrastructure have been addressed. Without the economy of scale that the large airports enjoy to spread those costs over dozens of routes all sold to max capacity the only other place an airline can turn to is government subsidies which prop up air travel to places that would otherwise be under served (Wilkes-Barre, Binghamton, Elmira, Williamsport to name a few). It is difficult for politicians to make the case to allocate funds to subsidizing Delaware when the general public consensus is that we can drive to PHL, BWI, or even EWR if necessary. So although Frontier had decent load factors going out of ILG it ultimately wasn't desirable.
Airlines have been cutting service to these smaller reliever airports. Frontier, in particular, however, has been adding service at Trenton-Mercer, making it a regional focus city. Frontier's business model is for discretionary, leisure passengers and it likely wasn't viable to have service at two airports relatively close together.

Frontier Airlines bringing larger planes to Trenton-Mercer Airport
http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2...to_trento.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations