HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 9:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post
Also, why so much sh*t talking about Phoenix? Our city is growing for a reason (19C/66F in January)
no one's talking shit about phoenix in this thread, i just used phoenix as an example in my post of the 3 types of chicagoans because my relatives who live in phoenix say that half the city is made up of former chicagoans who fled to phoenix to get away from chicago's winters. as i said in my post, i don't understand those types of people, but i respect them for moving away so that i don't have to listen to their bitching.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 10:48 PM
D-Block 5 Star General

^ I dont know how your argument started, but my question is why is Phoenix even brought up in a thread about the coldest major cities in the world, Phoenix is totally irrelevant here.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 10:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mentality View Post
^ I dont know how your argument started, but my question is why is Phoenix even brought up in a thread about the coldest major cities in the world, Phoenix is totally irrelevant here.
go back and reread the thread, it was an off-hand reference to phoenix because so many chicagoans have moved there to get away from chicago's winters and for some reason PhxSprawler mistakenly believed i was talking shit about phoenix, which i wasn't.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 11:04 AM
Amerikanska

I think Dalian is another Chinese city that should be on the list.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/climate/dalian.htm

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 1:03 PM
low life in a tall place

^^
I didn't know that Dalian got that cold in the winter, being on the coast and all.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 4:58 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
go back and reread the thread, it was an off-hand reference to phoenix because so many chicagoans have moved there to get away from chicago's winters and for some reason PhxSprawler mistakenly believed i was talking shit about phoenix, which i wasn't.
I said that in a lighthearted manner, of course. No offense taken here.

What is really racking my brain was trying to find large cold cities in the southern hemisphere. Do they really not exist, or am I missing something?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 5:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post

What is really racking my brain was trying to find large cold cities in the southern hemisphere. Do they really not exist, or am I missing something?
with the exception of antarctica, the southern hemisphere doesn't have a lot of land that actually gets cold like north america, europe and asia, and the small parts of the (non-antarctic) southern hemisphere that do get properly cold are sparsely populated mountainous regions like the southern andes.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 12, 2007 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 1:25 AM

Actually, comparing only the January High temperatures might not give the whole picture of how cold a place is.

Places near large bodies of water may have a longer, but less intense cold than places inland.

Winters (when the high temp is below 5 C) in Toronto and Minneapolis are basically the same length, despite Minneapolis having a much colder January. Des Moines is just as cold as Toronto is in January, but its winters are shorter. Montreal gets just as cold as Minneapolis in January, but its winters are longer. In Toronto, temperatures in the middle of February really aren't any higher than in the middle of January, but in some cities there can be up to a 5 degree celsius (9 Fahrenheit) difference.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 3:34 AM

Miami, Florida

Well maybe not, but wind chills in Miami are supposed to go down to the mid 20's F tonight.

That's cold for South Beach.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 3:46 AM

yeah if your in miami prepare for one of the coldest nights in the history! low: 37 (in the city), winds" NNW: 15-20 mph, freeze warning for the suburbs, and wind chill warnings. wind chills as mentioned in the 20s. if your a tourist from europe, canada, northern US ect... it might not be much but trust me this is brutally cold for miami's standards! high on Thursday: 60 with wind and cloudy, really nasty weather!!!!

Last edited by chris21; Jan 3, 2008 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 7:30 PM

-51celsius in Winnipeg on Wed,Jan 14. Does that qualify for the coldest city?

Hi People.I'm new here and actually decided to go looking online to see who is the coldest of cities in North America. When I woke up this morning, it was -51 celcius. OUCH. that is right. And yes, I live in WINTERpeg. lol. what gave that away? To be perfectly honest, we moved her when I was about 2 years old and have lived here since. The winters haven't always been this cold,from what I can remember. But in the past recent winters, it has gotten bone chillin' cold!!! There are ALOT of awesome things about Winnipeg (especially how no matter who you meet, they are related to or know someone who knows someone you know, which is pretty amazing for a city of over 1/2 million people), but when my youngest daughter (who is 11) is old enough to be out on her own...I AM GONE GONE GONE!!! lol. For me, it is because of how it has been affecting my health. I have a lot of internal scarring from a botched surgery and in the summertime, I am as close to my old self as I have ever been, but when the cool weather comes, I start to feel it...just like someone who has arthritis. The cold is the worst. By the time we hit the REALLY cold weather...I basically become bedridden. This is torture for a person like me who is always 'going'. So, my plan is to MAYBE move to Nova Scotia. The people seem amazing in Nova Scotia and the scenery is breathtaking. Whenever I see it on tv or on the computer or in mags, I feel very 'drawn' there. Anyone from Nova Scotia or been there who would like to tell me some things about it? I want to know all...the good and the bad!!!!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris21 View Post
yeah if your in miami prepare for one of the coldest nights in the history! low: 37 (in the city), winds" NNW: 15-20 mph, freeze warning for the suburbs, and wind chill warnings. wind chills as mentioned in the 20s. if your a tourist from europe, canada, northern US ect... it might not be much but trust me this is brutally cold for miami's standards! high on Thursday: 60 with wind and cloudy, really nasty weather!!!!
I have come to realize that we are 'conditioned' to the weather in which we live. So, even though for someone like me (who has lived her entire life in WinterPeg) who does not consider that cold at all, I do realize that for the people living in Miami, that will be difficult for THEM. Who am I (or anyone for that matter) to consider them wimps for it? Besides, they would probably have a good laugh at us when it is a hot summer's day, the temp is like...110F and we are dying from the heat,yet they are walking around not even breaking a sweat!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 7:48 PM

"What is really racking my brain was trying to find large cold cities in the southern hemisphere. Do they really not exist, or am I missing something?"[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think you missed us. Here in Winnipeg,Manitoba, Canada we have a population of of approx 650,000 and with the economy booming here it is growing tremendously!

This morning I woke up to a BALMY -51celsius (with windchill)

But, we are a hearty bunch and it takes alot more than a mere -51 to shut this city down, so it has been business as usual today.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 8:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDiana43 View Post
"What is really racking my brain was trying to find large cold cities in the southern hemisphere. Do they really not exist, or am I missing something?"

Quote:
Yeah, I think you missed us. Here in Winnipeg,Manitoba, Canada we have a population of of approx 650,000 and with the economy booming here it is growing tremendously!

This morning I woke up to a BALMY -51celsius (with windchill)

But, we are a hearty bunch and it takes alot more than a mere -51 to shut this city down, so it has been business as usual today.
Maybe so close to the pole your compass is malfunctioning.....but winnipeg last time I checked is in the northern hemisphere....if it has moved to the southern hemisphere I feel we have more to worry about than what cities are the coldest

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 1:35 AM
I like this much better

It'd be interesting to look at which cities have the most extreme climate. In that, the difference between the average summertime high and wintertime high.

That Russian city of 200,000 that was mentioned, Yakutsk or something, I looked at it and it has a 116 degree difference!!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 2:13 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Nothing is colder than Winnipeg. Except Ulan Bator (Mongolia)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 2:15 AM

Not to drag the argument about what constitutes a major city over here, but my vote goes to Moscow. I know there are places with a few hundred thousand or even a couple million that are colder, but it's got to be the coldest huge city by far.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
[/U][/B]

Maybe so close to the pole your compass is malfunctioning.....but winnipeg last time I checked is in the northern hemisphere....if it has moved to the southern hemisphere I feel we have more to worry about than what cities are the coldest
ok. so I missed the 'southern part'. hey, how well would YOUR brain be functioning in -51 celsius?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Nothing is colder than Winnipeg. Except Ulan Bator (Mongolia)
THANKS!!!! (i think)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Not to drag the argument about what constitutes a major city over here, but my vote goes to Moscow. I know there are places with a few hundred thousand or even a couple million that are colder, but it's got to be the coldest huge city by far.
so how 'huge' exactly is Moscow?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions