HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

35 Hudson Yards in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
I wish that they'd tear down the Daily News bldg and built a 1600-2000 ft. tower. it'd be a nice Guangzhou-like feeling.
Or just tear it down and leave it as a park. My god that building is a disaster. I bet even Gene Kauffman is offended by it.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Or just tear it down and leave it as a park. My god that building is a disaster. I bet even Gene Kauffman is offended by it.
I think that building will eventually be demolished and replaced. It has significant additional air rights, and has a horrible layout.

It wasn't even built as an office building, so it's a real mess in terms of utilization.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 9:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Yes, I guess this is true. Still, we are talking about a 250 foot difference...that's still pretty significant. Would I like a taller North tower? Yeah, but this isn't too bad...
From that rendering we are looking at a 150 ft difference, at most.

Quote:
I wish that they'd tear down the Daily News bldg and built a 1600-2000 ft. tower. it'd be a nice Guangzhou-like feeling.
Doesn't look like that will happen with the mechanics being put in place, although they won't be allowed to transfer any of those air rights off site.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=989

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 10:15 PM

450 W 33rd is NOT The Daily News bldg

Quote:
NY's Daily News (LA also has a Daily News) used to have their offices at 450 W 33rd but has been out there for 2+ years. Current HQ is 2 floors at 4 NY Plaza.

WNET used to be HQed at 450 W 33rd also, but they have been out there for at least a couple of years.

450 W 33rd is still the HQ of the AP (Associated Press), which is a worldwide news organization, so I call it the AP bldg.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 10:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post
NY's Daily News (LA also has a Daily News) used to have their offices at 450 W 33rd but has been out there for 2+ years. Current HQ is 2 floors at 4 NY Plaza.

WNET used to be HQed at 450 W 33rd also, but they have been out there for at least a couple of years.

450 W 33rd is still the HQ of the AP (Associated Press), which is a worldwide news organization, so I call it the AP bldg.

It's the headquarters of a lot of media, but that's irrelevant. It was once known as the Daily News building.

I'm still not sure about this one. I suppose a lot will be cleared up in the exhibit, but the website hasn't been updated to include any changes in heights, although it has been updated.

_

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 12:14 AM

It certainly looks like this building is well above 1,000 ft. in the new renderings, and the North Tower looks shorter than 1,337 or whatever.

Who knows. We'll just wait to see once they finalize building permits.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 12:37 AM

Much better design! Definitely an improvement! And a height increase too, this makes up for the height decrease on the North Tower.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Much better design! Definitely an improvement! And a height increase too, this makes up for the height decrease on the North Tower.
Sorry, I prefer height increase on both.

In any case, we've only heard about half of Hudson Yards. The entire western portion has no official information yet. We know it will be mostly residential but heights and designs are totally unknown at this point.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 7:07 AM

Im confused where are this towers setbacks in the new renderings?

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 1:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Im confused where are this towers setbacks in the new renderings?
Maybe Childs went to a version of the earlier design that didn't have many. All of the various renderings have just created more confusion. The website hasn't been updated to reflect any height changes, only the addresses and other upcoming information. So either its a poor job, or we're just jumping to conclusions.

Just saw this on the facebook page. Looks tall here...

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 5, 2013 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 3:43 PM

From the looks of it, based on the building skin color, they seem to have paired E with 1HY...This explains also why the latter now has a double digit HY addy along with everything else.
The *apparent* changes in E's setback features seem to be a response to 1HY's evident addition to this phase of the redevelopment.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 5:12 PM
don't *meddle*...

Vertical_Gotham over at SSC has some new photos from the exhibit, totally worth checking out. North Tower was indeed shortened to 1,255ft. Equinox is 1,000ft and 50 HY (McD site) is about 1,150ft. So all in all 3 new shiny supertalls. 55 HY looks like ~800ft.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 6:03 PM

Courtesy of the aformentioned VerticalGotham @ SSC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
View from the South

50 HY is definitely a supertall. Looks to be close to 1,200ft if 30 HY is 1,255 ft tall

Tower on the left is 50 HY (Mc D's) and on the Right is 55 HY (extell)

View from the West

If you compare the height of 15 HY (Culture) and 55 HY (Extell), it looks like 55 HY is aprox 800ft In height is 15 HY is 870ft.

33rd street view looking East between 35 HY and 55 HY
While I am disappointed with the loss of the setbacks at E, I'm really digging the "faux-twist" facade. The shape, rounding as it rises, will be a sweet contrast to Girasole and a *much* better complement now to the "Corset". And I see that the stone/glass patterned combo that was originally slated to transit to all glass will be done throughout.
Nice Touches, indeed.

It seems to me at this point it's only right that the 15/30H-North&Coach combo-whatever should have the setbacks. And the MickeyD's tower...Whoa, baby. Perhaps just a tad plump...but what else to expect from a tower occupying a fast-food joint? The facade treatment here should stay as is.

Last edited by JayPro; Dec 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 7:47 PM

15 is the only one I find interesting, for NYC at least. The rest are meh, maybe they will look better in reality.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 7:53 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

New York YIMBY:

Revealed: Hudson Yards
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON DECEMBER 5TH 2013 AT 1:30 PM

Quote:
The Equinox Tower – which formerly incorporated minor setbacks – has been vertically extruded and morphed into a cylindrical shape, possibly in response to Related’s acquisition of 55 Hudson Yards. The original version was 950 feet tall, and the new design soars well over 1,000 feet, though no exact figures were available.

35 HY – The Equinox Tower

The Hudson Yards

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 8:16 PM
BANNED

better + articulate design.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 9:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
the new design soars well over 1,000 feet, though no exact figures were available

Great. I may go check it out now that I know what's there.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/1...rds_towers.php

http://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/living-here

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 5, 2013 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 9:45 PM

I always thought that the varied depths and orientations of the setbacks were uneccesarily haphazard.
What might have done better would've been a formation like a spiral staircase to match the (awesome ) facade tewakage, with each one having that angled point as in the previous version.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 12:30 AM

I actually preferred the old design but this is also quite good. The increase in height is exciting. The whole complex is extremely contemporary and daring, like Shanghai but more practical and classy.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 1:27 AM
New Yorker for life

I like that everything is coming together on the grid. Building everything from scratch, there was a chance that it won't be done right, but I think it's starting to look like the Manhattan we know, with a fresh twist. Think Park Avenue meets the World Trade Center.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive