HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 2:39 AM

Places where Hispanic or Asian population growth is due to migration not immigration?

You had periods of time when the black or African American population changed dramatically within regions (either moving in or out of certain cities or states) such as the Great Migration and reverse Great Migration to the Sunbelt including to places like Atlanta. These are internal migrations, rather than international ones, since up to fairly recently foreign-born black Americans were a tiny minority.

But for Hispanics and Asians, it's the other way and their growth is usually discussed as being from people immigrating directly from the old country to the US, not from one US state to another.

But are there places where Hispanic Americans and Asian Americans are disproportionately moving from one state/city/region to another (not from direct immigration)?

Aside from college towns maybe?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 5:45 AM
Paradise Island

Most restaurant cooks in Minneapolis are either Ecuadorian or Mexican. Among those I have worked with or met, most of the Ecuadorians are direct immigrants but most of the Mexicans moved here from elsewhere in the US - generally Chicago, Texas, and Arizona. Restaurants in the Twin Cities pay more than in those parts of the country and Minnesota is generally safer and has better schools. Those factors tend to be the draw.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 7:53 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

cleveland has a very current situation of puerto ricans moving up after the hurricane. how long people will stay remains to be seen, but there are a lot of roots/ties there, so i would imagine and hope some will.

https://articles.cleveland.com/metro..._coordinat.amp

the situation for mexicans and central americans in cle mirrors what chef said above about minneapolis. asiatown has some slow growth as well that is probably a mix of migration and immigration.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 8:33 AM
Closed account

Atlanta is home to a surprisingly large number of Hispanic (likely a mixture of folks from Florida and Texas) and Asian (mostly from the Boston - DC corridor) migrants.

They moved here in droves for the same reason that folks (particularly African Americans) moved here from Chicago, Detroit, and NYC (diverse / vibrant economy and the low COL), especially during the 1980s - 2000s.

Thing is, in typical Atlanta fashion, they're all spread throughout in the suburbs and not concentrated in any one part of the region.

Last edited by skyscraperpage17; Dec 16, 2017 at 9:05 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 9:00 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

i almost forgot to add that nw ohio has an annual great migration of a sort when mexican field workers come up to pick soybeans and tomatos on the farms, then head south again. the state of ohio has summer schools for the kids while the parents work. a few stay and put down roots across the area in toledo and the small farm towns.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 8:24 PM

Since the hurricane Sacramento has gotten a larger community of Puerto Ricans as well (the housing here is much less costly than the Bay and LA).

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Most restaurant cooks in Minneapolis are either Ecuadorian or Mexican. Among those I have worked with or met, most of the Ecuadorians are direct immigrants but most of the Mexicans moved here from elsewhere in the US - generally Chicago, Texas, and Arizona. Restaurants in the Twin Cities pay more than in those parts of the country and Minnesota is generally safer and has better schools. Those factors tend to be the draw.
When I spent some time in the Twin Cities back in 2003 I noticed much of local construction crews were Mexican and Hispanic.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 3:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Here in London (the boring one in Ontario, metro 500K), we are getting some overflow of Asians and "Hispanics" (we don't use that term as often here) from the Toronto Region, on account of the extremely high real estate prices there (relative to here, where the prices are literally a third the price or less for the equivalent housing).
If we get HSR (which has been announced, but I won't hold my breath), the numbers will jump substantially.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 8:27 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

The Asian population has been pretty stagnate growth-wise in Hawaii over the past decade while the Hispanic population has grown tremendously. The Hispanic population has grown from approx. 88,000 in 2000 to 121,000 in 2010 to approx. +150,000 now -- it's by far the fastest growing ethnic group in the state but those that are foreign-born make up only about 10% so most growth is from native born (in-state & out of state). Puerto Ricans remain the largest group and of course they are not considered foreign-born -- but after over 100 years of being the most populous the Mexican population is catching up and may pass them in number in the near future.

2000 -> 2010 -> 2016 estimate of the 3 largest

Puerto Rican: 30,000 -> 44,000 -> 51,000
Mexican: 20,000 -> 35,000 -> 42,000
Spaniard (Spanish): 17,800 -> 23,700 -> 32,000

The 2nd fastest growing racial/ethnic group in Hawaii (which fall under Pacific Islander) are the Micronesians (e.g., Chuukese, Marshallese, Chamorro, Kosraeans, Pohnpeians, Yapese, Palauans, I-Kiribati). The growth of this group however is mainly due to direct immigration.

They've grown from 8,200 (2000 census) to 23,600 (2010 Census) to approx. 35,700 (2016). *These figures do not include those that are Mixed or part-(said ethnic groups).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 9:53 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
When I lived in the Twin Cities in the late 1990s, there weren't a lot of local Mexican restaurants, but the ones they had tended to be pretty interesting. Two I went to fairly often, one I think was in the Calhoun Isles area and was run by a married couple - Mexican wife, gringo husband. They had really good tacos with seasoning I could never quite pin down because it was different from the typical chili and cumin mix in a lot of taco seasonings. Plus there was free entertainment, as long as your idea of entertainment was watching/listening to loud, angry married couple arguments, lol :-)

But my favorite was a place in Shakopee that had brain tacos on the menu. I mentioned that to a coworker and he took his girlfriend there but she made them leave the moment she noticed that brains were on offer. Not exactly an adventurous eater, that girl. But it was the closest I found in my time there to dozens of Mexican places you see in parts of Chicago with a heavy Mexican presence even thought it was way out in Shakopee (far southwest suburb of Minneapolis for those not familiar with the area). I first discovered it going to Canterbury Park to watch the horses run. I never bet anything, I just liked sitting in the stands on a nice day watching the horses and eating a couple hot dogs.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanguy View Post
The Asian population has been pretty stagnate growth-wise in Hawaii over the past decade while the Hispanic population has grown tremendously. The Hispanic population has grown from approx. 88,000 in 2000 to 121,000 in 2010 to approx. +150,000 now -- it's by far the fastest growing ethnic group in the state but those that are foreign-born make up only about 10% so most growth is from native born (in-state & out of state). Puerto Ricans remain the largest group and of course they are not considered foreign-born -- but after over 100 years of being the most populous the Mexican population is catching up and may pass them in number in the near future.

2000 -> 2010 -> 2016 estimate of the 3 largest

Puerto Rican: 30,000 -> 44,000 -> 51,000
Mexican: 20,000 -> 35,000 -> 42,000
Spaniard (Spanish): 17,800 -> 23,700 -> 32,000

The 2nd fastest growing racial/ethnic group in Hawaii (which fall under Pacific Islander) are the Micronesians (e.g., Chuukese, Marshallese, Chamorro, Kosraeans, Pohnpeians, Yapese, Palauans, I-Kiribati). The growth of this group however is mainly due to direct immigration.

They've grown from 8,200 (2000 census) to 23,600 (2010 Census) to approx. 35,700 (2016). *These figures do not include those that are Mixed or part-(said ethnic groups).
interesting Info, thanks. I had no idea that there were that many Puerto Ricans in Hawaii

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 10:49 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^Like the majority of the first major waves of migrants / immigrants that settled in Hawaii they were recruited to work in the Agricultural industry (e.g., Sugarcane, Pineapple, Banana, etc). The first wave of Puerto Ricans arrived around 1900 a year or two after their island was devastated by a major hurricane (VERY similar to what happened recently) leaving many without homes & jobs, many of which (back then) had experience working in the Sugarcane industry. I think Hawaii is the only state west of the Mississippi where Puerto Ricans remain the dominate Hispanic group instead of Mexican.

Spaniards mainly from southern Spain were recruited in 1907 (which is also why their numbers are relatively large -- most are descendants of those first settlers). Some 9,300 Spaniards were recruited to work in the plantations between 1907 - 1913, alone.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 4:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
interesting Info, thanks. I had no idea that there were that many Puerto Ricans in Hawaii
Yeah I didn't realize that either.

From one island to another.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 7:38 PM

Are there popular paths or domestic preferred places to live that second, third or later generation Hispanics or Asian Americans go to, the way other domestically born ethnic groups had a history of doing (eg. New York city Jews from the city to the suburbs and then often to California and Florida, or African Americans from the south to the Great Migration north and then back to the (booming sunbelt) south)?

Do Californian-born Asians or say, southwestern or Texan-born Hispanics have preferred place to migrate to similar to say, black Chicagoans to Atlanta or Brooklyn Jews to Florida.

Or is the population of native-born Asian Americans and Hispanics just attracted to moving around wherever transplants (of any race) in general go?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions