HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 4:38 PM

Anyone make it to Sunshine yesterday (May 3rd)? We left at 7, got there at 10:30. Was worth every freakin' second. Best day I've had all season. Mind you, I'm pretty much limited to weekends only and I have only ridden Sunshine.

Boot top to knee powder and dry snow. Conditions were more like Feb than May. The wind and cold seemed to keep most folks off of Goat's Eye, which is fine by me.

My only complaint was we weren't 10 minutes earlier or later. 10 minutes sooner and we wouldn't have been in caught in traffic or 10 minutes later, we would have been east of the Exshaw turn off.

Oh well, I'm just happy to have been there.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 6:51 PM

Was up at Sunshine last Sunday, and it was similar, just a little less powder (binding top). Agreed, insane for spring. Best day of spring skiing before that for me was Louise on easter weekend last year in early April.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 3:03 AM

Sunshine is upgrading Tee Pee chair. High speed quad, heated seats and a bubble shield.

http://www.skibanff.com/sunshine-vil...air-in-canada/

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Sunshine is upgrading Tee Pee chair. High speed quad, heated seats and a bubble shield.

http://www.skibanff.com/sunshine-vil...air-in-canada/
I'd thought that the newer Angel Chair made Tee Pee Town redundant. I guess not.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I'd thought that the newer Angel Chair made Tee Pee Town redundant. I guess not.
Yes and no. There's some pretty good runs below Tee Pee, which is accessible from Angel, but you can't get back to Angel without taking JackRabbit and coming back on the gondie.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 10:50 PM

Anyone been out yet? Banff hills are supposed to be in pretty good shape for early season, and there is a decent amount of snow forecast for this week, thinking I may have to check out Sunshine this weekend.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Anyone been out yet? Banff hills are supposed to be in pretty good shape for early season, and there is a decent amount of snow forecast for this week, thinking I may have to check out Sunshine this weekend.
Not yet. Been waiting for Sunshine to open more lifts.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Not yet. Been waiting for Sunshine to open more lifts.
Might happen this week, supposed to snow quite a bit out there.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 3:53 AM

I opened my season today in Whistler. It was a pretty good day despite the clouds and snowing. No drama on the Sea-to-Sky Highway this weekend.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 7:55 AM

I'm glad to see the little hill I grew up on is set to reopen. They really do have some of the best snow in BC.

Mount Baldy to open Sunday via www.Castanet.net
by Bill Everitt | Story: 130362 - Jan 9, 2015 / 4:28 pm

Skiers and snowboarders rejoice, Mount Baldy Ski Resort is set to reopen this weekend.

Baldy will open to village residents on Sunday and will begin regular weekend operations for the public on Jan. 16.

The plan is for the mountain to be open every weekend after that, for the rest of the ski season.

Only the Sugarlump quad chair and Magic Carpet will be open, so prices for adult day passes will be set at $29, season passes will be $249 and family passes will be $449 (any number of children).

Season pass holders from other ski areas will receive a further 25 per cent discount on these prices by presenting their passes at the ticket office.

Baldy Capital Corp., a Calgary-based company, recently moved to purchase the ski hill near Oliver, which has suffered from financial trouble and did not open for the 2013-14 ski season.

“It’s been a challenging process with a very tight timeline," said Fred Johnston, president of Baldy Capital. "We have been working very hard to see if we could get the ski hill open for this season while the receivership process and court approval of an asset purchase agreement can be completed over the next several months. With the help of many key supporters in the community, we are very pleased to finally be able to make this announcement.”

Johnston said the project only became viable with money from the company, community encouragement and confidence the company has in the mountain's incumbent manager, Matt Koenig.

Major maintenance and preparatory efforts by Koenig and a small team of loyal former employees have been quietly under way over the last several weeks, with the goal of opening the ski hill on a limited basis.

The Wait is Over! via www.SkiBaldy.com
Friday January 9th 2015
Mt. Baldy is very pleased to announce that it will re-open on:

SUNDAY, JANUARY 11th at 9:30 am for VILLAGE RESIDENTS ONLY

FRIDAY, JANUARY 16th at 9:30 am for the GENERAL PUBLIC

Thanks to everyone for your patience, we have worked hard to re-open for this season. Food and beverage services will not be available on January 11th but the required permits are in process and we will announce the opening of these services as soon as permits are obtained.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 6:59 PM

Whilst I'm happy for you. I was hoping you were going to say Fortress was reopening. I pine for that mountain.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 1:36 AM

Some photos from Family Day weekend at Sun Peaks. There was no famous Interior powder in sight, but it was still way better than no snow here on the coast.

Last edited by Klazu; Feb 21, 2015 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 9:15 PM

The weekend of Feb 7 - 9 I went skiing down in Wyoming, 2 days in Jackson Hole and one day at Grand Targhee. Anyone wanting something out of the ordinairy for Albertans should go it was pretty fun! In the middle of the 'Pineapple Express' it sounded like only the Grand Tetons in Wyoming and Golden were still holding snow.

Jackson Hole was a lot like Golden, only steeper.

Grand Targhee:

Untitled by Odarwin1, on Flickr

Jackson Hole:

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 10:28 PM

Very jealous.. Have always wanted to go to Jackson Hole.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 10:37 PM

Also! The roads were incredible. Cruising up curving mountain canyons at 140 kph in a bimmer wagon was lots of fun.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 12:48 AM

I stayed in Jackson Hole in 2013 when we visited Yellowstone. Looked like an awesome skiing destination. It was also very prominently featured on The Art of Flying snowboarding movie and series, so it mustbe good. One winter I will make it there...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 4:13 PM

My friend dropping into Corbet's Coulior (filmed in portrait because of the vertical)

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 9:17 PM
Aviary Masticator

It's been dry most of the season but it's showing progress!

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 11:00 PM

Lake Louise is open already, Sunshine opens this weekend and I think Revy is getting pretty close. Getting stoked to do some riding!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 11:55 PM

^^^ Ya and Big White is opening 2 weeks earlier than planned - this weekend I believe. Looks early on like a great snow year. Its even gonna snow in town here tonight. Nowadays this is considered early for us.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia