HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 4:32 PM

Here are some of the areas where my grass looks lousey

I'm hoping that the bermuda grass covers these areas quickly

And here are my two sissoo trees that I planted around the same time as HX. I also got them from Moon Valley but I planted them myself. They are about 8 - 10 feet tall but are a little droopey right now. Sorry for the bad picture - I was looking into the sun when I took it.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 4:40 PM

Better pictures facing a different direction

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Thats rad, see if you can scan or take a picture of them & post them!
Yeah, good idea! I just looked at them and there's also an article about the beginning of construction of the Montgomery ward's building downtown at 1st and Adams.

EDIT: wait, Adams street between 1st and 2nd streets. Is this talking about construction of the Hanny's building? Or was there a Montgomery ward bldg there too?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 5:56 PM

Nickw252 - I suggest you get 2 or 3 stakes around each tree, and take out that support stake along the trunk. That will make the trunk stronger, letting the tree sway is a good way to get the roots growing stronger and the tree stronger too. Deep water those puppies. Deep water sends the roots deeper, making them strong for monsoon season.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 12:29 AM

Good advice on the stakes. A tree guy that came out to my yard said the same thing about ours, but I asked if it was ok to leave the stake next to the trunk through this monsoon season and he said it was fine...but to remove it afterwards and just leave the outside stakes.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 1:25 AM

Well I took the support stakes out and put 3 stakes on each tree. The trunks are really weak and they wouldn't even stand up on their own. The trees are very top-heavy. I had to trim some off the top and then staked them.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 5:18 PM

Here is the basic timeline and happenstance of my major historical find... the people from HGTV's "If Walls Could Talk" show have already been in contact with me for an upcoming program (j/k).

So like I mentioned, I had a large wall mirror in my 1927 house that has never really stood out to me. It was painted to basically match the trim of the doors and floorboards, which kind of made it hide on the wall. I just decided on a whim to strip all of the paint off and stain it, to make it look nice and "pop" off the wall, rather than be forgotten.

I forgot to take a "before" picture, but here is slightly after beginning the work.

Once I stripped enough paint off of it (in all there were like 7 layers of paint) and it wasn't painted to the wall anymore (I already took out the old brass screws), I peeled it off the wall, and to my surprise, there was an old niche behind it.

I think it was a phone niche, but I'm not entirely sure. It definitely originally had some type of wooden ledged bottom (gone, to put the mirror on the wall), and there was a hole coming from the top of the arch along with some old screw holes. I'm just assuming it was a phone niche.

This niche was a treasure and a great find to me. However, the best part was finding several pages (about 12 in all) of the Sunday Morning, October 8, 1939 Arizona Republic tacked to the back of the mirror.

Being a relative WW2 junkie, the headline talking about the Nazis is so cool to me. This is about 1 month after the Nazis invaded Poland. I'd hate to be the person debating the side that the Nazis aren't a threat to the U.S. If they only knew!

One of the sections must have been the real estate as there are several articles talking about newly constructed homes and under construction buildings...

Pretty cool that it talks about the old Montgomery Ward building downtown and several other small buildings downtown (including one that is still there - 4th Ave and Van Buren).

Finally, after all weekend of stripping paint and staining my old mirror, I finished:

I debated whether or not I should bring the niche back to life and move the mirror somewhere else... I still could. But the mirror has been there since the 1930s, it's just as original and historic as the niche. It would require a hell of a lot of work to get that niche looking good, so I decided to keep the mirror. I could always change my mind later.

I was also originally hoping the mirror would have a manufacturer's name on the back, maybe a label. At first I was sad to find out that it was basically a home-made mirror (good quality, just definitely home-made). Then I thought how cool it actually was for it to be home-made. It's a nice, unique, basically rustic piece of furniture from the late 1930s.

Last edited by PHX31; Jun 6, 2011 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 7:37 PM

That's freaking awesome!

What I would do is put a newspaper from today back in the niche and maybe in 72 years, someone will find it again.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 9:19 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
That's awesome PHX31. What strikes me is I wonder if there was a reason only that dates paper was saved. Was that paper somehow significant to a former owner of your home? Have you ever gone to the Arizona Room at the Library and looked up the former owners of your home? My thinking is maybe one of the former owners is mentioned in that days addition of the paper.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 9:27 PM

/\I have looked before and wrote down the previous owners.. I have it somewhere. I think that was just the approximate date that they installed the mirror. Probably no real significance to them at the time, just they needed newspaper for some reason for the back of the mirror and they grabbed whatever they had available.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 11:00 PM
BANNED

PHX31-That was pretty damn cool. This may sound corny, but what if you put the pictures you posted in an envelope and tape it to the back of the mirror. In the event you sell the house one day, someone might decide to take the mirror down for the wrong reasons and after seeing a bit of its history, they might keep it going, too. Great find!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 11:39 PM

/\ Yeah, I could do that covertly, or just keep all the documentation in an envelope and include it as information to perspective buyers of the house some day down the road. Maybe it slightly increases the value of the house having the little story behind the mirror, but also the potential for someone in the future to have a cool old phone niche - and moving the mirror to a different part of the house.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
I like them... Just my place is literally covered in them look on google maps at the complex between camden and artisan. They are just getting old to me because of how many fucking birds sleep in them and shit on you. Seriously, no tree attracts birds like a ficus. They love to roost in them.
Not to mention half the trees dying every effing spring when we get frost.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 4:19 PM
BANNED

PHX31,
Fascinating! I absolutely love history. Thanks for posting, very cool!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 10:13 PM

Phone Nook

PHX31 - that looks like the phone nook in my house.

A house I looked at in FQ Storey had an incredible phone nook with a working rotary phone:

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 2:06 AM

Nice phone nooks, I really like random things like that in old houses. I still could bring mine back to life: i'm still debating.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Well I took the support stakes out and put 3 stakes on each tree. The trunks are really weak and they wouldn't even stand up on their own. The trees are very top-heavy. I had to trim some off the top and then staked them.

Nick, In my experience when a tree is tied the way yours are, a wind storm will push the top of the tree, above where it is tied. Where the ropes are attatched to the tree will act as a pivot and the trunk will bend backwards below where it is tied, and possibly snap the trunk.

I would suggest getting a piece of 1/2" PVC sprinkler pipe. Place the pipe against the trunk and secure the tree to the pipe every 10" or so up the trunk. No need to drive the PVC into the ground. Keep the ropes you already have.

The PVC is just flexible enough to let the trunk bend a little (unlike the wooden stake that came with the tree) and this will encourage the tree to develop its own strrength. The PVC is also strong enough to keep the trunk from snapping in half. The PVC should only cost about $1

Securing a tree properly is critical. Too rigid and the tree will never grow "strong", Too loose and the tree can be damaged by wind. especially our monsoon. Good Luck!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 1:09 PM

Fascinating stuff, guys.

I went to do photos of a historic home listed in F.Q. Story on Sunday for my ex. We went inside and he fired up the AC and lights (everything was shut off). Suddenly, a geyser of water shot out of the laundry room and flooded the kitchen floor, while a second stream of water began pouring down from the kitchen ceiling. It was "interesting."

--don

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 11:18 PM

I found what was left of my phone niche when I redid the hallway in my house. Did not elect to rebuild it. The gas line for the roof mounted furnace runs in that area, and didn't need anything messing with my tight schedule.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 9:11 PM

Does anyone here know what the Phoenix city code says about backyard patio covers and how close to the fence/property line they can be? I'm looking to have one built and I'd like to go as close to the fence with it as possible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest