HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Public information meeting at city hall tonight, think i will go and see whats up.
Where's it at?

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Where's it at?
Sheet says Halifax Hall, which i believe is located in city hall @ 7pm

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 9:39 PM

Oh boo, I need to start adding these things to my calendar in advance...

I wonder if there would be any logic in having a new forum created just for posting and discussing upcoming events related to development issues?

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 10:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That sounds like a good idea. We could add an "events" section to the "construction and land development" subsection. It would be one thread per event with the date, time, and location in the thread title.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 1:25 AM

attended the meeting tonight.

As one would assume heritage trust was in attendance and was shooting down the development.

I guess things never change.

next step sounds like council approval.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 2:12 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
As one would assume heritage trust was in attendance and was shooting down the development.
I would assume the old cards were played in what they had to say, but do you think that they are going to appeal this one?

..they'd better not..

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
I would assume the old cards were played in what they had to say, but do you think that they are going to appeal this one?

..they'd better not..
Already saying "no,no,no", so i guess the answer is yes.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 11:45 AM

I was there as well. There was also quite a bit of suuport for it as well. Even Mr Parish the former president of Heritge Trust was in favour of it.

Last edited by Haliguy; May 8, 2008 at 12:10 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I was there as well. There was also quite a bit of suuport for it as well. Even Mr Parish the former president of Heritge Trust was in favour of it.
Yes, he is a reasonable person and fully understands that saving buildings need to be economically viable or they become a parking lot.

Problem is as much support there maybe the current approval process allows for anyone to appeal the development, citizen or heritage trust.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 9:50 PM

Article from the Herald:

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/9006670.html

Residents give a listen to 9-storey proposal

By KRISTEN LIPSCOMBE Staff Reporter
Thu. May 8 - 5:37 PM

While Halifax resident Michael Bradfield feels the upper half of a new downtown office building would awkwardly resemble something a “mad hatter" would wear, fellow Haligonian Paul MacKinnon said he rather likes the modern design that would top the proposed redevel­opment of several Hollis and Up­per Water Street properties.

“I like the fact that it distin­guishes itself from the rest of the building," said Mr. Mac­Kinnon, who spoke as a resident but also happens to be executive director of the Downtown Hali­fax Business Commission. “I do like the contrast in that."

More than 50 people showed up Wednesday night at city hall for an information meeting on The Armour Group Ltd.’s appli­cation to demolish the proper­ties from 1855 to 1873 Hollis Street and 1860 to 1870 Upper Water Street (beside the Morse’s Tea building). A nine-storey of­fice building would be built on the site, which would also offer retail space and underground parking.

Ben McCrea, chairman of The Armour Group, and architect Andy Lynch explained the his­toric façades of most businesses located there would remain, and the walkway from Hollis Street to Lower Water Street would be maintained.

Opinions on whether the re­development would work for downtown Halifax were mixed as several residents took to the microphone to share their thoughts on the proposed pro­ject.

“This may be the way to save these properties," Mr. Mac­Kinnon said. “It may be a choice of losing them altogether, or sav­ing them in this manner where they do have a functional use."

“We do need office space — we can’t argue about that," he add­ed. “Our vacancy rate is less than four per cent in downtown Halifax for class A office space."

Mr. MacKinnon said the rede­velopment would “bring life to the waterfront," pointing out that most businesses at the His­toric Properties shut down in the off-season.

“We need to have more people downtown and this is going to accommodate that," he said.

But Phil Pacey, president of the Heritage Trust of Nova Sco­tia, was less than impressed with The Armour Group’s plans, which would include tearing down a former registered heri­tage building at 1870 Upper Wa­ter St. The old wooden building is home to Sweet Basil Bistro.

“These are important heri­tage buildings in the city of Ha­lifax," he said.

“It’s too bad that they weren’t provincially regis­tered, but they’re not. They’re only municipally registered, which means that they could be demolished in a year with prop­er notice given."

Approving the project would be a “grave" decision, Mr. Pacey said.

Coun. Dawn Sloane (Halifax Downtown) was the only coun­cillor to attend Wednesday’s meeting, just one of many steps to be taken before the proposal can be approved. That includes a staff report that will be pre­sented to city council.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 11:52 PM

Say what you will about Dawn... she's the only councilor who's almost always at ALL of these things.

Just to clarify... the only building being demolished is the green wooden building right? The article made it sound like a bunch of buildings were being demolished.

I like that they are maintaining the passageway... even though I'm guessing that was never a passageway historically... it's become one now and is kind of a gateway to the Historic Properties on the waterfront.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 12:03 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

As far as I know only the green building is being demolished and all of the other facades will be preserved in a manner similar to Founder's Square.

The Heritage Trust probably will appeal but the developer knows this and all that matters in the end is whether or not the URB decides the development is consistent with the MPS. I think they will.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 12:08 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's a shot by RicLaf on Flickr that shows the site along Hollis Street:

The street's pretty nicely built up and would be even better with United Gulf and some kind of office building next to the Bank of Canada.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
As far as I know only the green building is being demolished and all of the other facades will be preserved in a manner similar to Founder's Square.

The Heritage Trust probably will appeal but the developer knows this and all that matters in the end is whether or not the URB decides the development is consistent with the MPS. I think they will.
Only building is the wooden building at 1870, the rest remain.

This shouldn't be appealled.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 12:15 AM

The article is somewhat confusing because it talks about the facades being retained, which to me implies that the remainder of each will go away. That may or may not be a good thing.

Michael Bradfield is really starting to annoy me. He taught me economics way back when at Dal and while even then he was a left-wing NDP nutcase, he seemed reasonable most of the time. Now he goes on about how the United Gulf project really won't make any difference to the economy and has apparently graduated from the Phil Pacey School of Architecture.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 12:16 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

One thing I notice in that picture is that there are those ~1820s buildings with pitched roofs. I remember a comment about preserving rooflines and in reality it's probably unlikely that these buildings will look very good as just facades. That ironstone wall is also interesting and I guess it will be removed.

I was actually in Michael Bradfield's economics class as well.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I was actually in Michael Bradfield's economics class as well.
Does he still use the case study example of the "Endee Pea Company"?

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 12:16 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
he was a left-wing NDP nutcase
Just know that most of us left-wing NDP'ers are neither nut cases nor anti-development.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
Just know that most of us left-wing NDP'ers are neither nut cases nor anti-development.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 12:47 PM
Closed account

Oh the classic stereotypes will never die, eh. Much of the same and more can be said of Conservatives (and Liberals) as well. But I suppose I should know better. Anyhow, this is irrelevant to the conversation.

This really shouldn't be appealed. But at least an appeal would likely lose, which is comforting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth