HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 8:34 PM
Jeez Louise.

A few questions.
1: What's that big bow shaped thing in a bunch of the pictures above? I thought at first it was a hair on the lens of the camera or something but it's in the same spot on every photo? Is that a rope hanging down or something?

2: Does anyone know when they're gonna start taking down the service elevator? I realize they don't want to scuff up the 'good' elevators with the flatscreen TV walls with construction equipment going in and out of them but also at this point what big stuff do they have left to fill the tower with?

3. I forgot what I was gonna type for 3. Man, it as a good question though. Probably the best I was going to ask... damn. lol

4. When will the window washing equipment be up and running. Those windows are getting reallllllll dirty.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 8:37 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
What dots? Construction lighting?
No, I think he's talking about the little things they put along the edge of new windows just above the podium windows.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
No, I think he's talking about the little things they put along the edge of new windows just above the podium windows.
yeah, thats what i meant. i noticed some on 4wtc as well. just curious as to what they are

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
A few questions.
1: What's that big bow shaped thing in a bunch of the pictures above? I thought at first it was a hair on the lens of the camera or something but it's in the same spot on every photo? Is that a rope hanging down or something?

2: Does anyone know when they're gonna start taking down the service elevator? I realize they don't want to scuff up the 'good' elevators with the flatscreen TV walls with construction equipment going in and out of them but also at this point what big stuff do they have left to fill the tower with?

3. I forgot what I was gonna type for 3. Man, it as a good question though. Probably the best I was going to ask... damn. lol

4. When will the window washing equipment be up and running. Those windows are getting reallllllll dirty.
1. When I was there water was coming out of it so I am assuming that it's a temporary window washing track.

2. Not really but they have already started to take down the ones at Four World Trade Center so I don't think it will be up for long.

4. They are attempting their best right now to clean the windows though the progress is poor as pouring water through a tube isn't really going to help..........

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc7 View Post
I don't know the correct terminology, but does anybody know what those "dots" around the windows immediately above the base cladding on the 10th picture in roadcruisers post are? are they only temporary?
Those are what you call glazing clips. They hold the glass in place till the mullions can be installed. Don't worry though, that portion of cladding will look the same as the rest of the building.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc7 View Post
I don't know the correct terminology, but does anybody know what those "dots" around the windows immediately above the base cladding on the 10th picture in roadcruisers post are? are they only temporary?
Yes, they're only temporary

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
Those are what you call glazing clips. They hold the glass in place till the mullions can be installed. Don't worry though, that portion of cladding will look the same as the rest of the building.
alright, thanks man

thanks matt as well, glad to know they are only temporary

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 1:55 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
4. They are attempting their best right now to clean the windows though the progress is poor as pouring water through a tube isn't really going to help..........
Just to add to this, a lot of the grime you see is on the inside of the windows not the outside.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 2:06 PM
don't *meddle*...

Newyork Sunrise by Yogi.Arora, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 2:53 PM

Will this building feature a sky lobby? One of the floors mid-way appears to have some interior work being done. Does anyone know more about it? Seen below:

And the floor with all the lights from the image immediately above.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Will this building feature a sky lobby? One of the floors mid-way appears to have some interior work being done. Does anyone know more about it? Seen below: And the floor with all the lights from the image immediately above.
That floor your talking about IS the sky lobby. On the 64th floor.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 3:44 PM
New Yorker for life

^ There will be a sky lobby.

http://www.cgarchitect.com/2012/07/dbox1

Xavier

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 4:40 PM
Sukaitsuri

Just come back from an afternoon of watching videos of 9/11, twin towers' fall, Manhattan in a cloud of dust, etc etc

That was my "annual 9/11 remembrance"

Now I go to this forum again, and I see the beautiful HD pictures of a brand-new 1WTC, almost finished, dominating lower Manhattan again.

And for the first time since all those years I feel like the hole has finally been filled

We should now forget the Twin towers. They bring only pain.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorque View Post
Just come back from an afternoon of watching videos of 9/11, twin towers' fall, Manhattan in a cloud of dust, etc etc

Now I go to this forum again, and I see the beautiful HD pictures of a brand-new 1WTC, almost finished, dominating lower Manhattan again.

And for the first time since all those years I feel like the hole has finally been filled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-iWbrT-nvI

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 7:45 PM

Quote:

No offense, but I disagree with your last line, that we should forget the twins. Maybe that's the best way for you to cope, and if so, I'm glad it works for you, but for me, the twins bring a lot more emotion than just pain.

I think of what they stood for when they were built. Those 2 super talls dominating over the city, the country and the world. Their name, "World Trade Center", very evocative of the US's global superiority [complex?].

When I think back to that warm day in September, sure their is sadness, anger, but there is also that overwhelming feeling of community and support. A bunch of extremists on the other side of the planet attacked commercial buildings filled with average Joes. It was a horrible tragedy, but NYers, Americans, and millions across the globe stood together. We supported each other.

That's just a quick example of some of the thoughts that I am reminded of when I look across the Hudson from my desk, or I watch a rerun of a man jumping to escape an even worse fate creeping behind him. I never intend for forget anything.

Sorry to veer off-topic a little bit there...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
No offense, but I disagree with your last line, that we should forget the twins. Maybe that's the best way for you to cope, and if so, I'm glad it works for you, but for me, the twins bring a lot more emotion than just pain.

I think of what they stood for when they were built. Those 2 super talls dominating over the city, the country and the world. Their name, "World Trade Center", very evocative of the US's global superiority [complex?].

When I think back to that warm day in September, sure their is sadness, anger, but there is also that overwhelming feeling of community and support. A bunch of extremists on the other side of the planet attacked commercial buildings filled with average Joes. It was a horrible tragedy, but NYers, Americans, and millions across the globe stood together. We supported each other.

That's just a quick example of some of the thoughts that I am reminded of when I look across the Hudson from my desk, or I watch a rerun of a man jumping to escape an even worse fate creeping behind him. I never intend for forget anything.

Sorry to veer off-topic a little bit there...
Agreed. It's on our license plates over here: Je me souviens - I remember

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
GORGEOUS! Thanks for the new Desktop Background

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 5:46 AM

Quote:

It seems obvious to say, but (a) you can appreciate (and even love) the new WTC 1, while still remembering the Twin Towers. And (b) why does the memory of the Twin Towers always have to be associated with 9/11? Should we forget JFK because he was assassinated? Should we forget our deceased loved ones, just because they're no longer with us and their parting was painful?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 5:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
You should no more forget the Twin Towers than you would a loved one that is no longer here. 9/11 was but one day.

That being said, remembering the past doesn't mean you can't accept the present. This is the new World Trade Center.
So let us dwell on that, at least in this thread.

dominick toscano

Xavier

SBoyd

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 3:26 PM
New Yorker for life

I'm not posting this article to stir up a spire vs. roofline height debate, we already know spires count towards the height. This is about the official height determination about the mast - spire or antenna.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...NewsCollection

Will WTC Spire Rise to Top?
Council on Tall Buildings to Determine if Structure Counts Toward Measurement

By Eliot Brown
Oct. 21, 2013

Quote:
In the years after the Twin Towers were destroyed in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, New York leaders vowed to build the country's tallest tower in their place as a show of resilience. They're about to find out if they succeeded.

Early next month the nonprofit Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat—the accepted arbiter on matters of skyscraper height—is set to determine One World Trade Center's official "architectural" height. The developers of One World Trade, the site's signature tower that's set to open in 2015, say the Skidmore Owings & Merrill LLP-designed building measures 1,776 feet. That would be 325 feet taller than the roof of Chicago's Willis Tower, formerly the Sears Tower.

But the bragging rights to America's tallest tower aren't so straightforward.

At issue is whether the One World Trade's 408-foot steel mast is considered a "spire" that is part of the building's architecture. If it is found to be a structural spire, it counts toward the height; but if it is considered just an antenna, that would leave the building at 1,368 feet, the country's third-tallest, after the Willis Tower, at 1,451 feet, and the Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, at 1,389 feet.

The answer is subject to debate. "We are caught between a hard rock and a stone," Antony Wood, the Chicago-based building council's executive director, wrote in an email this month to landlord Douglas Durst, a part-owner of One World Trade.

The email points out that if the council, composed largely of top architects and engineers from around the world, rules in favor of the developer, it will upset a constituency that thinks the issue of defining height by a spire's reach has "got out of control." If it rules against the developer, it will upset "the vast majority of the entire USA public for whom the 1,776 symbolic height is sacred," says the email, which was reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

The council's guidelines are brief, calling for buildings to be measured to their "architectural top," including spires but not antennas or other functional equipment

Mr. Durst believes the answer is clear: "Logic and their guidelines dictate clearly that the building is 1,776 feet tall," said Jordan Barowitz, a spokesman for Mr. Durst.

Fueling the debate is a design change made last year. Originally One World Trade's mast was meant to have a geometric white shell. But Mr. Durst and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, Mr. Durst's partner, dropped it from the plan over cost and maintenance concerns, leaving a steel structure not designed for public view, ringed by service platforms.

The decision sparked criticism from the building's lead designer, Skidmore's David Childs, who said at the time it was "unfortunate" that the Port Authority removed an "integral part of the building's design." He has since refrained from public comment on the issue, and Skidmore Owings has said it supports Mr. Durst's view.

Some onlookers aren't enamored with the current design. "It looks like it's been bolted on. … It does not look like it's part of the building," Pat Crooks, a tourist from Salt Lake City, said of the spire on Friday. She likes the design of the building, she said, but "the top is disappointing."

But Mr. Durst and the Port Authority say a tall spire was a key component of the design, regardless of its outer shell, and the mast should count toward the height of One World Trade, which was formerly named the Freedom Tower. The spire cost $21 million to build and install, according to the Port Authority, and the building's marketing material advertises One World Trade as the tallest in the Western Hemisphere—a claim that depends on the council ruling in its favor.

The decision also has broader reach than a standard skyscraper given its role in preserving and honoring the memory of those who died on Sept. 11. "The idea of building on this sacred ground the tallest building in the U.S. … is very important," said Joseph Daniels, president of the National September 11 Memorial Museum.

;;;;;Architects at Skidmore Owings are scheduled to travel to Chicago to appear before the council's height committee on Nov. 8 to make their case. Peter Weismantle, an architect and the committee's chairman, says the architects "just have to prove to us that it's been designed."

Mr. Durst is angry with the council for even hesitating on an issue he sees as so clear cut. Mr. Barowitz, the Durst spokesman, said the council's process had become "politicized," and their determination "is being driven by a constituency that is offended by design changes that were necessary to make the spire feasible."

Mr. Wood, of the council, said that characterization was "ridiculous," as the criteria aren't specific enough to produce a clear-cut answer, and he expects a robust and intelligent debate over how to handle the tower's official measurement.

Even if the spire-versus-antenna issue is resolved, the building's height may not officially land at 1,776 feet: The council in 2009 changed its rules requiring building height to be measured from the top to the lowest building entrance. Given a slope on the site, One World Trade has an entrance lower than its main doors, which could put the height at 1,781 feet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive