HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:46 PM

Yeah it's fantastic for the area. With the recent new openings in the residential part f Wolseley, it shows how awesome the areas can be, and that having some retail off the main streets can work really well.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 5:11 PM
Ignore these four words.

I noticed a change in this strip mall while driving by on the weekend. I just cant remember if they painted it white and black or grey and black. It's a nice, fresh change anyway.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88151...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 5:20 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah it's fantastic for the area. With the recent new openings in the residential part f Wolseley, it shows how awesome the areas can be, and that having some retail off the main streets can work really well.
We went there on the way home after a jets game a couple weeks back.

Very cool - but very hipster. For example, the only big label beer on the menu was Standard. Not that I care much for big label beers, but if that doesn't scream out long beards, skinny jeans and possibly an ironic flannel shirt...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
I noticed a change in this strip mall while driving by on the weekend. I just cant remember if they painted it white and black or grey and black. It's a nice, fresh change anyway.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88151...2!8i6656?hl=en
They actually put new siding up, not just paint. I agree, looks better. Too bad they didn't make the tenants upgrade their signage (or jack up the building and move it 30 ft forward, lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

Very cool - but very hipster. For example, the only big label beer on the menu was Standard. Not that I care much for big label beers, but if that doesn't scream out long beards, skinny jeans and possibly an ironic flannel shirt...
So, in essence, perfect for the area it's in.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 5:34 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Absolutely.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 6:19 PM

Quote:
They actually put new siding up, not just paint. I agree, looks better. Too bad they didn't make the tenants upgrade their signage (or jack up the building and move it 30 ft forward, lol).
New siding up top, all new paint at pedestrian level. New signage, but the signs aren't the most aesthetically pleasing.

I'm not sure if this strip mall has always been owned by the owner of Charisma, but there is new signage calling this mall "Charisma Plaza"

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

sometimes these days, too many restaurants are perhaps a slight bit too specific... there is a bit to much hipster-centric focus in some places. Don't get me wrong, I love unique food and drink but sometimes these places are made more inaccessible than necessary. Standard is pretty disgusting but it couldn't hurt to have Stella as a mainstream brew instead.
Quote:

Yes, but you WANT to have people venture into Wolsely more often to eat at your restaurant, so you need to give the outside more reasons to come in. Make it easier for people to grow into your tastes. Again, it's not like Standard is setting any bar.

That said, those hipsters and all their annoying quirks/blatant flaws... well they make damn good food.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 9:17 PM

I don't think they give 2 shits about attracting people who want pitchers of Bud Lights. It's a small place, meant for locals, and they're clear about not allowing standing room.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 9:44 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
I don't think they give 2 shits about attracting people who want pitchers of Bud Lights. It's a small place, meant for locals, and they're clear about not allowing standing room.
I don't think I was going in there assuming pitchers of swill available on tap - it was just sort of a "roll eyes " kinda selection of the one non-micro brew beer available.

I am just not sure if having Standard as THAT beer is some kind of really sly, clever, double ironic, actually taking the piss at hipsters...

Maybe I am just thinking too hard about it.

FYI - I ordered a Little Brown Jug.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 10:30 PM

Haha fair. There's quite a few places where that's the case with Standard actually. And honestly, for a plain lager, I actually rather like Standard. It's better than Bud or Canadian IMO.. even though it's essentially just Canadian with a little more flavour.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 10:36 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Haha fair. There's quite a few places where that's the case with Standard actually. And honestly, for a plain lager, I actually rather like Standard. It's better than Bud or Canadian IMO.. even though it's essentially just Canadian with a little more flavour.
Don't let Biguc hear you say that. He went off on me for saying the very same thing.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 5:31 AM

It's the Pilsner of Manitoba. Oldest beer here – drink it up baby!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 8:10 PM

Quote:
They should. It's frustrating to watch people take business and its successes/challenges for granted. Maybe they'll do just fine, but maybe you also want the place to be full if you want to build a life around your profession.

I'm not talking about Bud Light, because it's pure piss, hence why I mentioned Stella... something accessible that (although still piss... Belgians consider it the Bud of Belgium) still fits their elevated mantra.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 8:30 PM

^ Why would they sell products that run counter to the image that they're clearly trying to project? I mean, I'm sure Birks could make a few extra bucks in the short term by selling cigarettes and lotto tickets from behind the counter, but what does that do to their brand image over the long run?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
They should. It's frustrating to watch people take business and its successes/challenges for granted. Maybe they'll do just fine, but maybe you also want the place to be full if you want to build a life around your profession.

I'm not talking about Bud Light, because it's pure piss, hence why I mentioned Stella... something accessible that (although still piss... Belgians consider it the Bud of Belgium) still fits their elevated mantra.
Why should they cater to a crowd they don't want if they can still be successful with their desired clientele?

Stella is f*cking disgusting, so skunky, and only got popular in NA due to amazing branding/marketing. The chalice is a billion dollar idea – it was NEVER served in glassware like that before coming to NA, they just wanted to position it as something fancy and it worked. It was never meant to be a good beer, it only came out at Xmas time in Europe, and was like the Christian version of Manishevitz to Belgians. Gross holiday drink that no one likes, but drink it due to tradition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Why would they sell products that run counter to the image that they're clearly trying to project? I mean, I'm sure Birks could make a few extra bucks in the short term by selling cigarettes and lotto tickets from behind the counter, but what does that do to their brand image over the long run?
Exactly. You can make just as much money selling $13 cocktails to hipsters as you can $4 beers to frat bros and Jets fans. Not saying I have a problem with that crowd whatsoever (I drunk at games often), but not every place needs to cater to every person. That's actually why places go under... cater to your crowd or you alienate them.

Parlour could have way higher margins if they served Van Houtte or Sunspun coffee, but they don't, and people are completely fine paying for a better product. Merchant Kitchen is a 160-seat restaurant directly across from the arena that's packed before and after games/events, and they have no major brand domestic beers, no pitchers, and pump out $13 tequila shots and $15 cocktails, don't see anyone complaining and they're definitely not struggling.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 6:20 PM

Hear hear! I hate Stella.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 9:27 PM

It’s bad. Same thing happened with Hoegaarden - they had wicked heavy glassware and people started ordering it cuz it looked cool.

You can credit Earls for making Stella what it is today in Canada, especially in the west (Heineken has been the big euro premium beer in the east as its Molson). They entered a massive deal with Labatt ~10 years ago to push the hell out of Stella. They have a very specific “perfect serve” requirement that is actually a big part of their secret shopper surveys. Stella pays for and brands every single napkin at every Earls.. it’s a huge deal and if you think about it you would never see Stella anywhere before Earls started pushing it.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Lol, nobody is saying cater to them! It's a hipster food joint, it will weed most people out through it's very nature. And I said carry stella, not bud (or standard haha)

Restaurants turn over very fast sometimes... wolsely is growing but it's not as established as exchange/osborne. Hey, this one might do great (I plan on visiting soon)! I'm generally happy to leave any shitty drinks off the menu, but then again, standard snuck on there.

You just risk turning people off from your establishment when you overdo some hipster angles, and Wolseley is on the verge of growing to the point where it serves much more than the neighbourhood... but it isn't there yet.
Quote:
Why should they cater to a crowd they don't want if they can still be successful with their desired clientele?

Stella is f*cking disgusting, so skunky, and only got popular in NA due to amazing branding/marketing. The chalice is a billion dollar idea – it was NEVER served in glassware like that before coming to NA, they just wanted to position it as something fancy and it worked. It was never meant to be a good beer, it only came out at Xmas time in Europe, and was like the Christian version of Manishevitz to Belgians. Gross holiday drink that no one likes, but drink it due to tradition.

Exactly. You can make just as much money selling $13 cocktails to hipsters as you can $4 beers to frat bros and Jets fans. Not saying I have a problem with that crowd whatsoever (I drunk at games often), but not every place needs to cater to every person. That's actually why places go under... cater to your crowd or you alienate them.

Parlour could have way higher margins if they served Van Houtte or Sunspun coffee, but they don't, and people are completely fine paying for a better product. Merchant Kitchen is a 160-seat restaurant directly across from the arena that's packed before and after games/events, and they have no major brand domestic beers, no pitchers, and pump out $13 tequila shots and $15 cocktails, don't see anyone complaining and they're definitely not struggling.
Agree 95%. First off, nobody is catering... the entire restaurant isn't aimed at the cheap beer crowd (and I was just suggesting to offer an alternative that still fits the place that isn't obnoxiously hipster)... an eclectic menu is an amazing thing, but if you provide no inroads to clientele from outside of Wolsely then you may reduce your potential return. I wasn't saying to cater to a different crowd.

If this were the exchange, significantly lower risk, and you can specialize heavier. Same thing with Merchant... downtown, game days, office crowd, perfect location, high traffic, exposure, and reputation, not to mention big screens to watch the games on. Completely different ball game.

Secondly, sure, why "cater to a crowd you don't want" when you can do fine with what you do want? Well, this place is brand new, so who's gauging success?

I'm a huge advocate of the good $13 cocktail over $5 beer, and a big fan of the better product.

Parlour wouldn't have higher margins, because their sales would drop. People know why they go to parlour or little sister, Make Coffee, etc. Make Coffee actually operates right beside a starbucks... you think that would happen if they sold normal beans?

Basically, I had a minor complaint that, from a professional standpoint, I "would have done slightly differently" without reducing the calibre of the restarant. I did not expect frat boys to start prowling wolseley for nights in the town

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 6:32 PM

Cool. I would argue though it's less risk than The Exchange. The Exchange is getting very saturated, especially considering the amount of people in the area – as noted here, places can be really dead during the week. WB is a well established, dense residential neighbourhood with very little competition in that market.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 4:32 PM

"Charisma Plaza" added a lot more new signage to the building and it looks much better and brighter now than just black/grey tin.

Also apparently Hydro is planning on replacing all the sidewalk lamps in WB with new LEDs but have been having some trouble picking ones that work in the design of those lights. This is why they've been really slow at replacing broken ones... apparently it's coming soon though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan