HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 4:43 PM

Opus Place is still awaiting Building Plan Review approval for their LD permit, that's their last check.

Looks like the plans were returned on 9/15 by the applicant after last submitting in April and are scheduled to be approved 'today,' then Opus would be good to go for the proposed October ground-breaking.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:24 PM
BANNED

Concession for My Two Day Rant

My apologies for going crazy town on the Summerhill project. I just passionately believe this area could have been so much more if the right developer had purchased it. Summerhill is also the first urban area most people see when coming to Atlanta from the airport. FU Heights...Aspen Height (whatever it is called) style development is the worst architectural image I think we should be projecting at our front door - so to speak.

AND FOR THE RECORD - I would not have had a problem if the COA gave Carter and GA State the stadium and land for FREE if they were going to build a quality project. I have a problem knowing they bought this site on the cheap and they are building a generic, low-rise, low density development.

Construction News
Anyway here are a few more projects to put on the radar.

It looks like these to companies are connected in some manner. Dexhuus being an Asian investment arm and Power Build being the architect and construction contractor.

http://www.dezhuus.com
http://power-build.com

Per Power Build's website, it looks like the Hard Rock Hotel is now in development. Click on the link for construction photos
http://www.dezhuus.com/castleberry-park

Castleberry Park by Bolton Atlanta LP is a mixed-use urban complex located in the prime downtown Atlanta. Adjacent to the $1.6-billion Mercedez-Benz Stadium and the historical Castleberry Hill district, Castleberry Park is a 11-acre project that carries high commercial and social value. The complex consists of a 11-story Hard Rock luxury hotel, three 6-to-7-story apartment buildings and affiliated storefront, a centralized parking lot with over 420 parking spaces, parks, lawns and other supporting facilities.

The grand opening of the hotel is scheduled at the end of 2018 and that of the residential part is scheduled at the beginning of 2019.

542 BOULEVARD
A class-A apartment project that takes advantage of Atlanta’s prosperous Ponce City Market, 542 Boulevard is developed with modern architectural style, avant-garde design and exquisite furnishings. The entire project comprises of 30 class-A apartments, roof gardens, underground parking lots and other supporting facilities.

The project will break ground at the 4th quarter of 2017 and is scheduled to be delivered in the fall of 2018.

456 PARKWAY
Adjacent to Ponce City Market – the “dress circle location” of Atlanta, 456 Parkway is one of DEZHU’s high-end townhome projects that bear trendy architectural style, exquisite furnishings and picturesque surroundings. The project includes 14 top modern-style townhomes.

456 Parkway will break ground at the 4th quarter of 2017 and will be delievered at the 2nd quarter of 2018.

525 PARKWAY
With close proximity to the prime Ponce City Market area, 525 Boulevard is one of DEZHU’s high-end townhome projects that bear trendy architectural style and exquisite furnishings. The project includes 22 top modern-style townhomes.

525 Parkway will break ground at the 4th quarter of 2017 and will be delievered at the 2nd quarter of 2018.

555 BOULEVARD
A class-A apartment project that enjoys the time-honored Ponce City Market at its side, 555 Boulevard displays its modern architectural style, avant-garde design and exquisite furnishings. The entire project comprises of 200 class-A apartments, roof gardens, three-story underground parking lots, two storefront catering businesses and other supporting facilities.

555 Boulevard will break ground at the 2nd quarter of 2018 and will be delivered in 2019.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
I am curious if you actually looked for evidence or you are just going off your gut? I have looked, but I can't find what the other bidders were offering? Maybe you can post since it seems like you have done the research.

Regardless if Carter and GA State were the highest bidders, it doesn't mean the COA needed to sell it now. Why not wait until the next development cycle and get a higher price and arguably a more dynamic plan. The same goes for the Civic Center site. Not every piece of land the city owns needs to be sold now and developed ASAP. we are going to end up with shit everywhere if this thinking is not stopped.
You are right, I have no inside information on the other bids. But I am assuming if they really felt they had a better offer they would have publicly disclosed what it was and gone to the media about not winning it.

However, I don't not think letting the site decay for 10 years in hopes for a better price is a wise idea. Like Underground keeping Turner Field on the books would cost millions every year in even minimal upkeep. I don't think the city should be playing the land speculation game. If the property is not needed, get it off the books ASAP in an open bidding process.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:

Construction News
Anyway here are a few more projects to put on the radar.

It looks like these to companies are connected in some manner. Dexhuus being an Asian investment arm and Power Build being the architect and construction contractor.

http://www.dezhuus.com
http://power-build.com

Per Power Build's website, it looks like the Hard Rock Hotel is now in development. Click on the link for construction photos
http://www.dezhuus.com/castleberry-park

Castleberry Park by Bolton Atlanta LP is a mixed-use urban complex located in the prime downtown Atlanta. Adjacent to the $1.6-billion Mercedez-Benz Stadium and the historical Castleberry Hill district, Castleberry Park is a 11-acre project that carries high commercial and social value. The complex consists of a 11-story Hard Rock luxury hotel, three 6-to-7-story apartment buildings and affiliated storefront, a centralized parking lot with over 420 parking spaces, parks, lawns and other supporting facilities.

The grand opening of the hotel is scheduled at the end of 2018 and that of the residential part is scheduled at the beginning of 2019.

542 BOULEVARD
A class-A apartment project that takes advantage of Atlanta’s prosperous Ponce City Market, 542 Boulevard is developed with modern architectural style, avant-garde design and exquisite furnishings. The entire project comprises of 30 class-A apartments, roof gardens, underground parking lots and other supporting facilities.

The project will break ground at the 4th quarter of 2017 and is scheduled to be delivered in the fall of 2018.

456 PARKWAY
Adjacent to Ponce City Market – the “dress circle location” of Atlanta, 456 Parkway is one of DEZHU’s high-end townhome projects that bear trendy architectural style, exquisite furnishings and picturesque surroundings. The project includes 14 top modern-style townhomes.

456 Parkway will break ground at the 4th quarter of 2017 and will be delievered at the 2nd quarter of 2018.

525 PARKWAY
With close proximity to the prime Ponce City Market area, 525 Boulevard is one of DEZHU’s high-end townhome projects that bear trendy architectural style and exquisite furnishings. The project includes 22 top modern-style townhomes.

525 Parkway will break ground at the 4th quarter of 2017 and will be delievered at the 2nd quarter of 2018.

555 BOULEVARD
A class-A apartment project that enjoys the time-honored Ponce City Market at its side, 555 Boulevard displays its modern architectural style, avant-garde design and exquisite furnishings. The entire project comprises of 200 class-A apartments, roof gardens, three-story underground parking lots, two storefront catering businesses and other supporting facilities.

555 Boulevard will break ground at the 2nd quarter of 2018 and will be delivered in 2019.
These are awesome! I was wondering when Boulevard was going to start seeing some more action.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:47 PM

Quote:
The AJC had a report August 21, 2017 the stadium cost $72 Million. Regardless, it is completely generic compared to GA State Panthers new stadium/formally Turner Field.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/take-look-...oKGpHqnCMTiLP/
The stadium photo you posted is in Allen, Tx, although you were initially trying to refer to the Katy stadium. That's where the confusion lies.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Concession for My Two Day Rant

My apologies for going crazy town on the Summerhill project. I just passionately believe this area could have been so much more if the right developer had purchased it. Summerhill is also the first urban area most people see when coming to Atlanta from the airport. FU Heights...Aspen Height (whatever it is called) style development is the worst architectural image I think we should be projecting at our front door - so to speak.

AND FOR THE RECORD - I would not have had a problem if the COA gave Carter and GA State the stadium and land for FREE if they were going to build a quality project. I have a problem knowing they bought this site on the cheap and they are building a generic, low-rise, low density development.
No worries, we all get passionate because we want the best for the city. But I really do think these Summerhill projects are a good sign for the area / long term prospects for the project. They are starting development at the edges of the property which was always planned to step down in density which I think is a wise way to get this kicked off. I think we will see continual projects in the area for the next decade. It will be mostly mid rises but I would bet we get a cool tower or two in that time. And of course the great thing about an incremental approach is that this low-rise buildings can be redeveloped into something better on down the line as this area starts to mature.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Castleberry Park

542 BOULEVARD

456 PARKWAY

525 PARKWAY

555 BOULEVARD
Awesome finds!! A lot of those smaller projects are just what Atlanta needs.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 6:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
You are right, I have no inside information on the other bids. But I am assuming if they really felt they had a better offer they would have publicly disclosed what it was and gone to the media about not winning it.

However, I don't not think letting the site decay for 10 years in hopes for a better price is a wise idea. Like Underground keeping Turner Field on the books would cost millions every year in even minimal upkeep. I don't think the city should be playing the land speculation game. If the property is not needed, get it off the books ASAP in an open bidding process.
jsvh - Thanks for the note above. With respect to this post, understand most cites own land for strategic and economic reasons. For example, when projects like Amazon's HQ2 or the Perimeter's State Farm's 8K employee Regional HQ opportunity comes up, they have sites available to drive jobs and revenue to their respective area. Turner Field would have had minimal maintenance needed for up keep - it's mostly asphalt. In the interim, it could have also served as an awesome outdoor amphitheater, flea market, farmers market, brothel....etc.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 6:56 PM

Fantastic Finds!

[QUOTE=Atlanta3000;7929152]Concession for My Two Day Rant

Construction News

542 BOULEVARD

456 PARKWAY

525 PARKWAY

555 BOULEVARD

These are going to be substantial assets to changing the tides of Boulevard. Boulevard has the infrastructure and location to to be on par with the future North Avenue, they just need to clean up the slumlords and crime nests.

I really want to know more information on the GA Power site plans and on what is going on with 525 North. I still think it was a travesty that the original 525 North plans were abandoned for apartments.

Also, for what its worth; I am very sympathetic to ATL3k's views on Summerhill. We really cannot afford to settle for lackluster developments, especially when its essentially virgin land and was sold at fire sale prices. Unacceptable.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
Going to be substantial assets to changing the tides of Boulevard. Boulevard has the infrastructure and location to to be on par with the future North Avenue, they just need to clean up the slumlords and crime nests.

I really want to know more information on the GA Power site plans and on what is going on with 525 North. I still think it was a travesty that the original 525 North plans were abandoned for apartments.

Also, for what its worth; I am very sympathetic to ATL3k's views on Summerhill. We really cannot afford to settle for lackluster developments, especially when its essentially virgin land and was sold at fire sale prices. Unacceptable.
Thanks Neighbor - You officially made "The List".

Buckle up because the new 525 North Ave project is teetering on "Aspen Heights" architecture.

https://twitter.com/dwelldesignATL/s...57694940954624

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptychtwo View Post
A few small updates:

Looks like Jamestown is starting to move on phase 2:
U-17-24 (Within 300 ft. – Review & Comment ONLY)
Applicant, Jamestown Ponce City Market, L.P. by Dentons US, LLP, seeks a special use permit indefinitely for development of a high-rise boutique hotel up to 225 ft. tall on the southwest side of the property.

New MF on Piedmont (in addition to the ones going in a mile north of here)
Application of Scott F. Dunn for a variance to reduce the front yard setback from 40 feet to 20 feet, increase the maximum impervious lot coverage from 50% to 65% and increase the maximum building height from 35 feet to 47 feet for the construction of a multifamily development for property located at 940, 946 & 950 Piedmont Avenue, N.E., fronting 149 feet on the west side of Piedmont Avenue and beginning 254 feet from the northwest intersection of Piedmont Avenue and 8th Street. Zoned SPI-17 SA4 (Piedmont Avenue Special Public Interest District). Land Lot 106 of the 17th District, Fulton County, Georgia.

A little more info on 1944 Hotel/Office redevelopment:
V-17-174 Application of Lemuel Ward for a special exception to reduce the off-street parking from 377 spaces to 211 spaces for a hotel for property located at 1944 Piedmont Circle, N.E., fronting 164 feet on the northwest side of Piedmont Circle and beginning approximately 159 feet from the northwest intersection of Piedmont Circle and Piedmont Road. Zoned MRC-2-C/BL (Mixed Residential Commercial-Conditional/Beltline Overlay). Land Lot 50 of the 17th District, Fulton County, Georgia.
Owner: Piedmont Hotel Owner, LLC
Council District 6, NPU F
PCM and Jamestown will have to wait until their Historic Tax Credits expire in a few years before starting construction--

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:35 PM

555 Boulevard looks amazing. For some reason I really like the look and massing of that project. I also like the Castlebury Park apartment portion...maybe it's just the rendering, but it looks sleek.

Thanks for the finds, Atlanta3000.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:40 PM

Quote:
jsvh - Thanks for the note above. With respect to this post, understand most cites own land for strategic and economic reasons. For example, when projects like Amazon's HQ2 or the Perimeter's State Farm's 8K employee Regional HQ opportunity comes up, they have sites available to drive jobs and revenue to their respective area. Turner Field would have had minimal maintenance needed for up keep - it's mostly asphalt. In the interim, it could have also served as an awesome outdoor amphitheater, flea market, farmers market, brothel....etc.
I'm pretty sure the Perimeter Center State Farm HQ was built on private land. I really don't think large swaths of land are that big a driver in attracting mega projects.

And how long are you willing to let the Turner Field site sit underused and drain the area in hopes of one of these mega projects coming along? Keep in mind that keeping the site on the books is not going to help tax payers. China's empty Olympic Stadium costs $11M a year in maintenance. Demolition of RFK Stadium in DC is estimated at $25M.

I really do think selling the site ASAP was the best thing for the neighbors, city, and tax payers.

And as for what is happening on those parcels, perhaps you can share some examples of developments similar to what you think should be happening there. Because as far as I can tell this seems to be in line with the vision for the area and what I have expected.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:41 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptychtwo View Post
Opus Place is still awaiting Building Plan Review approval for their LD permit, that's their last check.

Looks like the plans were returned on 9/15 by the applicant after last submitting in April and are scheduled to be approved 'today,' then Opus would be good to go for the proposed October ground-breaking.
Finally. Now if we could just get Eviva up and going.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 9:21 PM

I suspect most of the properties between Freedom Parkway, Boulevard, North Ave, and Peachtree will be redeveloped in Atlanta over time toward a more true urban form. Including the garden style apartments and condos.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Great finds, three stacks. I am really curious about the developments that will come in between 85 and MARTA (ie: related to the university ave development in Pittsburgh/near Adair Park). There's a handful of proposals for the area and we could come up with something truly incredible. Also glad to see more hotels coming downtown, to AS, memorial drive continuing to increase in density, and the buckhead projects moving forward.

Confession time. As someone who used to live in Buckhead and now prefers to spend time around midtown and the beltline, I am absolutely envious of the concentration of developments and restaurants Buckhead Village has been compiling in comparison. What I enjoy about the buckhead village developments is it is less linear in development, but rather a handful of blocks to create a cluster of development, something the EST lacks.
You walked around Inman Park lately?

Elizabeth & Highland is pretty freaking dense with restaurants, and doesn't have a 6 lane highway going through it

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantech View Post
You walked around Inman Park lately?

Elizabeth & Highland is pretty freaking dense with restaurants, and doesn't have a 6 lane highway going through it
3 linear blocks of development is not substantial. Even with Inman quarter, the area is still lacking.

Anyways, Icon and mural update:

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 11:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
3 linear blocks of development is not substantial. Even with Inman quarter, the area is still lacking.

I am really liking Icon Midtown - not sold on the mural though. Thanks for the pics SA!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 12:30 PM
Kev K

Quote:
You beat me to it!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATBOYKEV View Post
You beat me to it!
Yours is a much better angle than mine! The building itself is looking better every day and will be a nice addition to the neighborhood. I do wish they had prepped the whole foods to potentially manage a second tower at a later date, but as stated previously by another, the aluminum siding all but removed those hopes.

As for the mural... it will at least be a stiff contrast from the stiff corporate feel of the street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations