HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Which option would you vote in favour?
Option A 2 33.33%
Option B1 2 33.33%
Option B2 1 16.67%
Option B3 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Nobody will want to get on the bus, that's what will slow it down.
Sure they will. Why would transfers only happen one way? What about people who transfer from downtown busses to mountain busses? Would every bus have to drive past both stations, dropping off at one, and picking up at the other? That would work I guess, but it's way less efficient.

Quote:
They'll expand the MacNab terminal when the day someone intends to build a building at the parking lot next to the CIBC building.
You think? The presence of the passenger services building blocking the entrance to the parking lot seems to suggest otherwise. Why would they wait for a building to be in the way instead of making a larger station now?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearNerd View Post
I see, but where are the mountain busses going to stop on John if not at a platform? If a bunch of transfers start happening at the go-station, then busses will be queueing on the street, which is kind of the opposite of what a terminal is supposed to provide.

The other problem is routing downtown busses up to hunter. That's really going to slow down the B-Line, and prevent hypothetical LRT riders from transferring to other downtown routes like the Barton or Bayfront.

You can't avoid transfer hassles unless the routes all meet up in the same place.
LRT as a through route probably wouldn't jog up, but Downtown Bus Riders could transfer at James and King.

I really don't see a problem with bus q's on John as most mountain buses won't come downtown after LRT. The west mountain buses, and the 21, 25 and 26 probably will just feed the LRT rather than continuing downtown, leaving only the 22, 23,24 to come down John. This means on average a rushhour frequency of 5 minutes. I don't see this as a potential q'ing nightmare.

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Sure they will. Why would transfers only happen one way? What about people who transfer from downtown busses to mountain busses? Would every bus have to drive past both stations, dropping off at one, and picking up at the other? That would work I guess, but it's way less efficient.

You think? The presence of the passenger services building blocking the entrance to the parking lot seems to suggest otherwise. Why would they wait for a building to be in the way instead of making a larger station now?
It's very simple. The location of the stations dictates that lower city buses have to drive past McNab to reach Hunter and Mountain buses past Hunter to reach McNab. The terminals aren't changing the routes, these places just happen to be located in very good places.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 12:07 AM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
If someone is going to board onto a Mountain bus from John St than a minute later they'll be forced to get off the bus again once at the MacNab Station. Hence no one will want to get on the bus from there. If someone from downtown buses wants to go on the Mountain buses they can get off at Main and MacNab stop before it heads off to GO Station and hop on a Mountain bus at the MacNab Station.

Quote:
You'll see under the report the long term goal is to expand the MacNab Station, there's even a whole page dedicated to this.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 12:07 AM

The whole thing is, if I want to transfer to a Downtown Bus that terminates Downtown I could get off at Hunter, but if I wanted to transfer to a crosstown bus, getting off at MacNab terminal would help me.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 12:14 AM
It's Hammer Time

Okay I made this simple map that shows Mountain buses (red) and Downtown buses (blue). You can see how all of these buses meet at some point at each of the two bus stations (Main and MacNab - John and Beckley area).....

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 2:27 AM
Closed account

I'll tell you one thing, it'll be gridlock if the friggin city doesn't put an advance left light at King and John.
They've got advanced greens all over the city at stupid places where nobody turns left, but here at possibly the busiest left turn in the city, AND with tons of buses, you sit and sit and sit during rush hour.
Adding more buses to this mess isn't going to help. Especially the B-Line.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I'll tell you one thing, it'll be gridlock if the friggin city doesn't put an advance left light at King and John.
They've got advanced greens all over the city at stupid places where nobody turns left, but here at possibly the busiest left turn in the city, AND with tons of buses, you sit and sit and sit during rush hour.
Adding more buses to this mess isn't going to help. Especially the B-Line.
One of the problems with that light (Dundurn & Main is another example) is that nobody obeys the law that says that the inside left lane turns to the 1st lane, the 2nd left lane turns to the 2nd lane et cetera. The buses turning wide to the outside lane is technically illegal and is reserved for those heading southbound on John making a right turn. And there is ALWAYS a bus waiting to turn at that light, every time. Here is a good example of an intersection that would kill you if you were to break this law. The buses should be making a turn to the 2nd lane then signalling over, but no, this is Hamilton where the only HTA section worth enforcing is 128, speeding.

An advance green would probably solve this but would also back traffic up on King because of the longer cycle.

On this note, the protected right turn from King to James is just a clusterfuck during the day. It's only on a ~5 second timer and most of that is taken up by moron pedestrians ignoring their signals. Wasn't there supposed to be a cop stationed there?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 12:49 PM
Closed account

yea, Bay and Cannon is bad too, but I'm more talking about the sheer traffic volume at King/John. It deserves an advanced green ahead of southbound traffic being allowed to go straight through.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Okay I made this simple map that shows Mountain buses (red) and Downtown buses (blue). You can see how all of these buses meet at some point at each of the two bus stations (Main and MacNab - John and Beckley area).....

If they put the Beeline and through buses into Hunter Street, they're idiots, it'll take forever.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 8:38 PM
Closed account

^^ I believe B-Line will stay on Main.

They should build a covered-walkway such as the one in Steeltown's posting above from TH&B to Main/Hughson. I don't believe I'm the only one to suggest that. But it makes total sense (well, so did joining ALL buses at TH&B, but what can ya do).

Hopefully they'll take Canadian weather into consideration when thinking of ways to connect all 3 downtown transit nodes.

Last edited by DC83; Jun 2, 2008 at 8:44 PM. Reason: adding 'type' of walkway

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
^^ I believe B-Line will stay on Main.

They should build a covered-walkway such as the one in Steeltown's posting above from TH&B to Main/Hughson. I don't believe I'm the only one to suggest that. But it makes total sense (well, so did joining ALL buses at TH&B, but what can ya do).

Hopefully they'll take Canadian weather into consideration when thinking of ways to connect all 3 downtown transit nodes.
But the way it is going to be, the only people who'd need to walk Main to Hunter are people who are going B-Line to Go. So I really don't know how necessary the covering is?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 6:30 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonguy View Post
But the way it is going to be, the only people who'd need to walk Main to Hunter are people who are going B-Line to Go. So I really don't know how necessary the covering is?
I don't think it's 'necessary' at all. But think of the benefits:
-Shows citizens that the City/Province is committed to making public transit as comfortable as possible.
-Shows citizens that the City/Province is committed to funding transit infrastructure
-protects transit riders and non-transit riders from the elements
-creates a fun, modern street that people will stop and look at bringing more positive attention towards public transit which could increase it's ridership.

Well, to be fair, all points may lead to higher ridership.

Anyone think of any other good reasons to put a covered walkway of sorts from TH&B to the Main/Hughson-John LRT Stn?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 6:35 PM
It's Hammer Time

The B-Line will likely stay on Main St, there main downtown stop will probably be at MacNab and Main/King.

Now that they'll be a pathway from MacNab to Gore Park the city might put the covered walkway on that path instead of Hughson St from GO to Gore Park.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 6:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

From Downtown BIA....

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Notice the 2nd bus to the left? It's nearly double the size of regular bus therefore the B-Line.
It would be nice if that could actually work. Buses never line up that nicely without a long curb. That's why they use sawtooth bays, except in these plans.

Watch the buses get trapped on MacNab, especially the eastern (current) corridor if they go five long.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 8:10 PM

Since we are on the topic of terminals.
This one really irks me, has anyone noticed the east side of the Limeridge mall terminal. It can't find all three buses at once (25-Up.Wentworth & East/West 43-Stonechurch) because there's a entrance/exits for cars right at the end of it.
Why hasn't the city or HSR fixed this .

All they have to do is close the one exist on the east side of the terminal and all three buses will fit. Thus given every bus it's own dedicated stop (25-Up.Wentworth, 43-Stonechurch East, 43-Stonechurch West) like on the west side of the terminal. This won't have any impact on drivers as there is 3-4 other entrances/exists within the terminal.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Warrior View Post
Since we are on the topic of terminals.
This one really irks me, has anyone noticed the east side of the Limeridge mall terminal. It can't find all three buses at once (25-Up.Wentworth & East/West 43-Stonechurch) because there's a entrance/exits for cars right at the end of it.
Why hasn't the city or HSR fixed this .

All they have to do is close the one exist on the east side of the terminal and all three buses will fit. Thus given every bus it's own dedicated stop (25-Up.Wentworth, 43-Stonechurch East, 43-Stonechurch West) like on the west side of the terminal. This won't have any impact on drivers as there is 3-4 other entrances/exists within the terminal.
Probably because Stone Church each direction is only once per half hour.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 6:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
I hope with the new passenger service terminal building that they'll include past photos of the HSR, the whole history of HSR. Instead of plain glass they could add photos or colours to the glass facade.

In Quebec City they recently built this building and it kinda reminded me of the proposed passenger terminal (expect ours will be smaller)...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 6:58 PM
Closed account

wow...that is wicked. No reason we can't have a terminal like that.

ps...check out the Bunge plant in the background! lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure