HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
I've heard some rumblings that the Crystal ice plant project is being resurrected. I sure hope so because it's a key element to transforming the R Street corridor. This area is part of my extended neighborhood and not far from my business which is in the Handle District so I'm super stoked.

Speaking of light-rail. With the 16 Powerhouse (16th & P Streets), ice plant and other new projects being added to the neighborhood it wouldn't be a bad time for RT to think about making improvements to the 16th Street station. Why couldn't they add canopies to protect the people waiting, from the hot sun and cold rain?

What is RT's financial situation. This would interesting to find out. Are they in debt? How are they paying for the extension to Elk Grove? But I agree, they station at 16th needs, at the very least, a facelift. I think it still has pieces of those dollar bill tiles left in the ground from 1989.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I don't think the downtown workers commuting home have failed to stop at downtown businesses on their way home because they just haven't noticed them due to insufficient signage.
I think you are missing the point. It's all about psychology. Attractive brightly lit signs can help the dull, empty sections seem safer and more alive. Of course, the real goal is not the signs. But good signage is as important as attractive pavement, street lights, benches, street trees, etc. These things are considered public amenities put in to make downtowns more appealing, so why not signs? Because they are generally regarded as private (if regulated) matters. But if a street lacks businesses, or the business on the street are lacking, then why shouldn't the city step in? A brightly lit street that appears more active will attract more people, especially at night, and over time the empty storefronts will fill up and there will be no need to promote a sign district. So I think, at least in this case, it is you who might have the cart before the horse.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofFrost View Post
What is RT's financial situation. This would interesting to find out. Are they in debt? How are they paying for the extension to Elk Grove? But I agree, they station at 16th needs, at the very least, a facelift. I think it still has pieces of those dollar bill tiles left in the ground from 1989.
I don't know where RT stands. I think it might be pretty poorly managed. But I could be talking out my arse. I guess the money to renovate the 16 the street "station" could come from some place else. After all they found $$$$ to fix up the old out-of-date depot and I doubt Amtrak is paying for that.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 4:04 AM
Here we stAy

I've heard rumors that RT is thinking of moving the 16th Street station to between 16th and 17th Streets. Not sure how far along the idea is in the process of things, but I'm sure there will be some very interested property owners if it turns into a real project.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
I've heard rumors that RT is thinking of moving the 16th Street station to between 16th and 17th Streets. Not sure how far along the idea is in the process of things, but I'm sure there will be some very interested property owners if it turns into a real project.
Maybe to avoid the traffic issues on 15th street? That area can get backed up during rush hour.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 6:34 PM

http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento...t?oid=15530728

Article about R street artist lofts.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 5:21 PM
thenorth.bandcamp.com

Midtown OSF

I went to the Old Spaghetti Factory in midtown last night and couldn't stop noticing how beautiful that building is. Especially inside. I kept wondering (without doing any research) if it was a former passenger station or warehouse servicing the adjacent rail line. I'm hoping I am not just being fooled by some modern "historical-esque" architecture. @WBurg, any insight?

If OSF ever vacates that building, I imagine it would make an amazing ballroom for weddings, etc or wine tasting facility similar to The Old Sugar Mill in Clarksburg.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surefiresacto View Post
I went to the Old Spaghetti Factory in midtown last night and couldn't stop noticing how beautiful that building is. Especially inside. I kept wondering (without doing any research) if it was a former passenger station or warehouse servicing the adjacent rail line. I'm hoping I am not just being fooled by some modern "historical-esque" architecture. @WBurg, any insight?

If OSF ever vacates that building, I imagine it would make an amazing ballroom for weddings, etc or wine tasting facility similar to The Old Sugar Mill in Clarksburg.
OSF is the old Western Pacific Rail Station. http://www.sacramentohistory.org/search.php?imageid=104

We are currently restoring the old Southern Pacific Rail Station (see separate thread here), which was much larger. This space will have approximately 60,000 GSF for retail, office, and restaurants when completed in 2016.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 12:49 AM
Hindrance to Development

Correct, it was the Western Pacific Railroad's passenger depot, opened in 1910 and still used until about 1970 when Amtrak took over the WP's "California Zephyr" passenger train. OSF's back dining room is available for special events like weddings or presentations, if you don't mind OSF's food it's a nice place for a dinner or meeting. The building was designed by Willis Polk, better known for his work in the Bay Area, but he did a few Sacramento buildings like the D.O. Mills Bank and the PG&E Powerhouse on the river. Western Pacific was owned by a guy who owned two other railroads, the Denver & Rio Grande Western and the Chicago Burlington & Quincy, and by interlocking all three had a continuous route from Chicago to Oakland. The route through Sacramento was critical because of our industrial connections and riverfront wharf; a branch line ran half a block north of the R Street industrial line to reach Front Street, where WP had its own wharf and served waterfront industries. We were also critical to WP because Sacramento had a large workforce of people who knew how to build, maintain and repair steam locomotives at the Southern Pacific shops. WP put their main shops here in Sacramento (a local group of businessmen bought them some land outside the city limits) so they could poach SP's skilled workers, making Sacramento the only city in the United States with the main shops for two Class I railroads.

Opening day of passenger service on the WP. Note passenger station's northern end on the left.

The Southern Pacific depot fouroheight68 is working on was, in some ways, a response to the WP depot; SP's passenger depot was an 1880s arcade station built on the far side of China Slough next to the Boiler Shop, roughly where the western end of the current passenger platforms are now. WP's depot, and later the union electric depot at 12th & Terminal, were more closely integrated into the city and thus more accessible for commuters. Once the old China Slough was filled, SP built its new depot there in order to be more visible to Sacramento riders. Considering that the size of Sacramento roughly doubled between 1910 when WP opened and the opening day for the new SP depot, a much bigger station was called for.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 4:26 AM

I remember when that was a functioning station. It's too bad somebody can't buy it from OSF and turn it into a public space for the farmer's market and the like, especially if it's a Willis Polk building. That's a treasure.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 7:32 AM
Hindrance to Development

It seems to do just fine as a restaurant--still busy every weekend and most weekdays after 40+ years! There are plenty of farmer's markets, including the Saturday Midtown farmer's market just half a block away, and several suitable underutilized or unoccupied buildings that would make splendid full-time public market type venues; no need to drive out an existing business. Things aren't quite that crowded in Midtown yet--but it's getting close!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 7:05 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
It seems to do just fine as a restaurant--still busy every weekend and most weekdays after 40+ years!
Indeed--my family threw me a birthday party there in December. I've always loved that place!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 5:34 PM

Anyone notice the red lighting on US Bank/621 Cap Mall recently? I like it, though not permanently.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 5:56 PM

The Sleep Train Amphitheater is now the Toyota Amphitheater. It is now owed by iHeartRadio. I guess that's a good thing. This will probably allow for better upkeep and, potentially, better acts being booked, IMO.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 8:11 PM
Hindrance to Development

Why would it change the acts being booked? The booking agent will remain LiveNation, same company that has been booking it. The only difference is the sponsorship, which makes about as much difference as a sponsorship logo on a racing car has to do on the driver's performance.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Why would it change the acts being booked? The booking agent will remain LiveNation, same company that has been booking it. The only difference is the sponsorship, which makes about as much difference as a sponsorship logo on a racing car has to do on the driver's performance.
You're absolutely right! For some reason, I thought this was under new ownership.

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 5:39 PM

Hi I'm a newbie

Hello everyone
I'm Scott and job (Federal Govt FAA) transferred me and Wifie to Sacramento 5 weeks ago from metro Denver. I enjoy reading posts on here and since one of my college majors was community planning/urban studies I enjoy stuff on here. Just a lil bit on me I grew up on a small farm north of Arvada Co a Denver suburb, I enjoy travel (besides flying I've traveled on Amtrak trains almost through the entire U.S.), sports, working out (yes even at 50 plus I still work out every other day) and general stuff. Besides my native Colorado, I've lived a bit in central Illinios as well as spending some time in Texas and Cali. Anyway hi again..

Scott

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 10:30 PM

Welcome Scott! It will be interesting getting your perspective on things around here. I went to Colorado College so I'm somewhat familiar with your home turf. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 8:22 PM

Yes...and I lived in Colorado Springs for 2 years. So, I share your Colorado/Sacramento experience somewhat as well! Welcome!

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 1:59 AM

Ahh thanks for the comments guys, good ole Colorado Springs! I've spent a lotta time down there as some of my family lives there and also in Monument. As for Sac I love it here so far, I love the huge trees and the rivers which in some ways remind me of west central Illinios where my mom's side of the family is from. I think it's great that Sac is trying to put the sports venues downtown as it will bring in people via mass transit plus be a boon for local businesses like it is in downtown Denver, Minneapolis, St Louis and other downtowns.
Right now Wifie and me found a place in North Natomas near the Kings Arena (gonna be a Kings fan since they got Gorege Carl the old Denver Nuggets coach who got railroaded after posting awesome records there). Oh Btw I really love driving out to Amador County to see our daughter and family in Sutter Creek, it's so rolling and wooded-just awesomely beautiful!!
We'll have to keep in touch and meet-up sometime😉😉

Scott

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area