HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
The current project is listed at 14.9 kms.
Work is ongoing out to Scheel Drive just west of Arnprior... about 5km.

14.9 km is probably including previous completed phases, and/or unfunded future ones.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 2:15 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Work is ongoing out to Scheel Drive just west of Arnprior... about 5km.

14.9 km is probably including previous completed phases, and/or unfunded future ones.
It's about 11 km between old Highway 15 and Scheel Drive, and about 19 km between Campbell Drive and Bruce Street, so I am not sure where that number came from.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTheGreat97 View Post
It's currently twinned to about a few kilometres outside of Arnprior and the work that is being done now is only extending it about 3km west from where it is now, maybe with an interchange, but know knows. Extension is useless in small phases, we need a big push now.
The current extension is fairly small. I don't know what the reasoning is (maybe it goes by township?). The current phase is 5-6 km. The next phase, I believe, is supposed to be around 17 km, bringing it to the outskirts of Renfrew, followed by another 5k phase through Renfrew.

The mayors are all very eager for this highway. Actually, Petawawa sent a letter to Premier Wynne asking for work to be done from Chalk River eastward at the same time as currently planned projects in an attempt to speed things up. This resolution had the support of Chalk River and Deep River, but the Eastern mayors (Renfrew and area) did not support a motion on this because they felt the limited money pool could result in a construction slowdown on their end.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Pine View Post
The current extension is fairly small. I don't know what the reasoning is (maybe it goes by township?). The current phase is 5-6 km. The next phase, I believe, is supposed to be around 17 km, bringing it to the outskirts of Renfrew, followed by another 5k phase through Renfrew.

The mayors are all very eager for this highway. Actually, Petawawa sent a letter to Premier Wynne asking for work to be done from Chalk River eastward at the same time as currently planned projects in an attempt to speed things up. This resolution had the support of Chalk River and Deep River, but the Eastern mayors (Renfrew and area) did not support a motion on this because they felt the limited money pool could result in a construction slowdown on their end.
It has to do with funding and politics. The area is a dead zone for Liberals and held by Conservatives provincially (being one of the worst ridings for the government), with the most likely threat to the Conservatives coming from their right (i.e. a Tea Party independent), not the Liberals or NDP.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
It has to do with funding and politics. The area is a dead zone for Liberals and held by Conservatives provincially (being one of the worst ridings for the government), with the most likely threat to the Conservatives coming from their right (i.e. a Tea Party independent), not the Liberals or NDP.
Yes, this area has a bit of a strange political makeup. And it will get stranger still as varying combinations of social/economic left/right philosophy emerge with the next generation.

Provincially, John Yakabuski (PC) is actually quite popular. Federally, Cheryl Gallant is more controversial (I might even dare say slightly to the unpopular side), but everyone votes for her anyway. I don't think the riding would leave an established party unless the independent had/ is able to create good name recognition (such as Hector Clouthier).

But anyways, the next phase will be big, but overall the process is going slowly. Plans call for a completely new divided highway to go on the north side of Muskrat lake, bypassing Cobden.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 2:24 PM

Quote:
But anyways, the next phase will be big, but overall the process is going slowly. Plans call for a completely new divided highway to go on the north side of Muskrat lake, bypassing Cobden.
I was always curious what the alignment was going to be, I dont think that an elevated highway through Cobden would work.

I am disappointed about the current expansion, but it looks as though they are taking their time to build the bridges without hindering traffic? I never understood why they werent doing the expansion with a concrete median, that would have been much more expediant I would have thought.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Y

To address any confusion, the next phase will bring the highway near Renfrew, and the highway around Cobden will happen at a later phase (who knows how long?)

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
I was always curious what the alignment was going to be, I dont think that an elevated highway through Cobden would work..
The MTO has a new corridor protected that bypasses Cobden. I've seen it on maps before. If I recall, it follows a new path a few kilometres east of the current road for most of the distance between Renfrew and Pembroke.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
The MTO has a new corridor protected that bypasses Cobden. I've seen it on maps before. If I recall, it follows a new path a few kilometres east of the current road for most of the distance between Renfrew and Pembroke.
Correct, having seen the official plans. Highway 417 would break away just west of the Haley Station turn, initially remaining very close to the current alignment on the west side of Jeffreys Lake. Just before Logos Land, it would shift farther away from the current Highway 17, running on the back of their property, meeting County Road 7 very close to Marjorie Road. There would be an interchange at CR 7 serving Cobden and the Whitewater area (I believe that is the only interchange between Haley Station and Meath Hill).

From there, it would run through the forest/plateau about 2 km northeast of Muskrat Lake, before turning northwest towards Meath Hill. At the curve just west of Greenwood Road, Highway 417 would rejoin the current Highway 17 alignment. Most likely, the Greenwood Road interchange would be located just north of the end of the road and Greenwood Road would continue onto existing Highway 17 directly. From there to Petawawa, it would be twinned again.

The existing Highway 17 in that section would likely become a county road and would serve local traffic. I know businesses in Cobden would suffer...some may decide to move to the CR 7 interchange though.

Extrapolating 2005-2010 traffic counts to 2015, my estimate for the current AADT in that section:

Arnprior area (around White Lake Road, 4 lane freeway) - 18,000
Arnprior to Renfrew (starting to upgrade now) - 15,500
Renfrew area (around O'Brien Road) - 13,500
Renfrew to Haley Station - 10,000
Haley Station to Cobden (to be bypassed) - 9,500
Cobden to Meath Hill (to be bypassed) - 9,000
Meath Hill to Pembroke (Highway 41) - 7,500
Pembroke to Petawawa - 9,000
Petawawa to Chalk River - 7,500
Chalk River to Deep River - 8,500 (much of it local; only a portion of it would be grabbed by Highway 417)
Deep River to Rolphton - 4,000

From there, it is around or below 4,000 for AADT all the way to Mattawa, remaining relatively consistent.

Last edited by eternallyme; Aug 9, 2015 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 10:39 PM
BANNED

Along Highway 17 in Ontario, they really should start the 4 laning between Sudbury and North Bay. This would mean that once the 400 is build to Sudbury, that you can drive from Toronto north to either of the cities and between them on 4 laned highways.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 12:31 PM

Twice in the past two years I have found the opportunity to be up in the Thunder Bay region of Ontario. I have taken these opportunities to take some photos of the recently twinned Trans-Canada Highway between Thunder Bay and Pass Lake. Highway 11/17 was widened to four lanes over this ~30km stretch over the past few years and was fully opened late last fall. I have placed some small photos below and have included a link to a webpage that I have authored with more photos and larger versions of the photos that appear below:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_1...p5b_images.htm

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 1:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Now that's what I'm talking about! This is what the TCH should look like in northern Ontario!!

The TCH should be a unifying force in the federation, just like the CPR was 150 years ago. As long as it's a cattle path, it just strengthens the divisions between east and west.

A coast to coast divided TCH should be considered as an act of nation building, not an economic liability.......

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 1:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Now that's what I'm talking about! This is what the TCH should look like in northern Ontario!!

The TCH should be a unifying force in the federation, just like the CPR was 150 years ago. As long as it's a cattle path, it just strengthens the divisions between east and west.

A coast to coast divided TCH should be considered as an act of nation building, not an economic liability.......
Agreed.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 4:00 PM

I think 3 lanes is plenty for most of the stretch, and you can easily leave shorter old two lane rockcuts and bridges to reduce the cost.

I feel a lot of the impetus for people wanting twinning is the 90 kph speed limit, which might be what is safe in the winter, but in the summer is just crawling. Can just raise the limit!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
I think 3 lanes is plenty for most of the stretch, and you can easily leave shorter old two lane rockcuts and bridges to reduce the cost.

I feel a lot of the impetus for people wanting twinning is the 90 kph speed limit, which might be what is safe in the winter, but in the summer is just crawling. Can just raise the limit!
It's still 90 km/h on the newly twinned sections, which I don't agree with at all. It should definitely be increased to 100 km/h on the new upgraded sections.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 5:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
It's still 90 km/h on the newly twinned sections, which I don't agree with at all. It should definitely be increased to 100 km/h on the new upgraded sections.
Unless something has changed recently, the newly completed four-lane sections of A-85 in eastern Quebec are still limited to 90 as well. And are still signed as QC-185 and not A-85.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Unless something has changed recently, the newly completed four-lane sections of A-85 in eastern Quebec are still limited to 90 as well. And are still signed as QC-185 and not A-85.
It did change recently, the limit as been increased to 100 on some sections. It is still limited to 90 where the road doesn't meet the requirements of a "autoroute" though (where you will see intersections and accesses to driveways directly on the road for instance, even if it is twinned). For this reason it will remain a provincial road.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 6:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
It did change recently, the limit as been increased to 100 on some sections. It is still limited to 90 where the road doesn't meet the requirements of a "autoroute" though (where you will see intersections and accesses to driveways directly on the road for instance, even if it is twinned). For this reason it will remain a provincial road.
I'm sure the intent is for it to be a full autoroute all the way to the NB border. There are in fact parallel side roads in place where necessary. If there is still some driveway access on twinned segments currently, then I'm sure it's just a transitional phase.

I drove on the A85 just a month ago and don't recall seeing any driveway access on the highway south of St Louis-de-Ha!-Ha!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'm sure the intent is for it to be a full autoroute all the way to the NB border. There are in fact parallel side roads in place where necessary. If there is still some driveway access on twinned segments currently, then I'm sure it's just a transitional phase.

I drove on the A85 just a month ago and don't recall seeing any driveway access on the highway south of St Louis-de-Ha!-Ha!
It thought we were talking about the new highway going up to Saguenay, my mistake then. I am not familiar with A85 so I don't know what's the situation there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada